• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

E3 2019 Switch release suprises:

• Cadence of Hyrule

Votes: 403 56.1%
  • My Friend Pedro

Votes: 86 12.0%
  • Shovel Knight: King of Cards

Votes: 109 15.2%
  • CrossCode

Votes: 98 13.6%
  • SNES - Nintendo Switch Online

Votes: 255 35.5%
  • Mother 3

Votes: 153 21.3%
  • Other (Kentucky Route Zero: TV Edition, A Hat in Time, Forager, Virtua Racing, more)

Votes: 96 13.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

GraveUnkemptCrustacean-size_restricted.gif

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Guess I'll have to wait for a DF comparison video on Bloodstained before biting, sigh. I really don't want to have to play this on a TV.

Deleted member 3017

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I finished Katana ZERO tonight.

WOW. I know this game got a lot of criticism on this thread about its game length, I think it's perfect. The game's story ends on an arc, and then setups a sequel with a "To be Continued..." but where it ends, makes sense. According to Steam it took me 5 hours. I felt like that's about perfect, the game doesn't overstay its welcome and the game doesn't feel bloated or has any filler whatsoever.

The story is WOW. I think this is the best example of "Art Violence". I mean, here you have a "16-bit" game doing violence in such a way that makes you feel... gross and queasy. I mean, that's an accomplishment for freaking pixel art! And I didn't feel like it felt it was doing this violence for cheap thrills. It all felt apart of the very mature/disturbing story it was trying to tell.

It's a great gaming "experience". It's a perfect example of why games don't need to be about "dollar per hours of game play" or things like that. As weird as this sounds: Katana ZERO is the best "video game art" I've played in a long time. The game play reasons for dying and retrying are connected beautifully into the game's story and presentation. Everything in its design is purposeful.

I honestly can't think of anything about the game I didn't like. Probably the violence. It was intense. But like I said, it was integral to the game's artistic experience, so it worked. It's honestly the first M-rated game I've finished since The Last of Us on PS3.

I agree with everything here. Katana Zero is one of the best games I've played this generation. And I had absolutely zero issues with the game's length or how it ended.

unicornKnight

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 27, 2017
Athens, Greece
Hopefully the UK store takes my mastercard :-)
Fuuuuck, I waited too long to get one of these vouchers.

I guess the cheapest place for UK people is now actually the UK store, unless people are aware of South Africa/Norway/other PAL regions that aren't Australia that would be cheaper to the £.
Interestingly Sweden is still the cheapest to buy individual games, they only raised the vouchers price so in that country the vouchers only save you like 2,8€.
Buying individual games from Sweden costs 49€ per title, buying vouchers from GB costs 94€ / 47€ per title. (And we still get 5% back in gold points in both options) I'll be taking two vouchers for SMM2 and Fire Emblem but I don't think I'll bother with more vouchers.

OrionStarri

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Oh wow, Rolling Gunner feels fantastic to play, the controls and snappy, and the mechanic of the games' namesake is really intuitive once you get the hang of it, really fun! Looking forward to improving myself in it later today! The games' release really snuck up on me haha.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Any decent visual novels on the eshop apart from Stein's Gate Elite (which I loved)?
Death Mark is quite well received, but I haven't played it yet. Clannad is also on the way, which is considered a classic, but I also haven't played it. Also, Word End Syndrome is quite well regarded - not to be confused with Our World is Ended, which is not.

harz-marz

Oct 28, 2017
Oh wow, Rolling Gunner feels fantastic to play, the controls and snappy, and the mechanic of the games' namesake is really intuitive once you get the hang of it, really fun! Looking forward to improving myself in it later today! The games' release really snuck up on me haha.
Didn't know about this, looks great! Is it difficult?

Joedev

Apr 24, 2018
I generally only purchase one game at a time and try to hold off on anything else until I'm done with that game, but the last month or so I've really messed up..

Currently playing all of the following:
  • Boxboy + Boxgirl - I've gotten about half way through the main single player campaign.
  • Picross S3 - Maybe 25% through. I play a couple puzzles a week.
  • Cadence of Hyrule - Almost completed my first run.
  • Crypt of the Necrodancer - Already had it on PC, but couldn't resist the huge sale.
  • Slay the Spire - Really liking this. Probably put in about 10 hours. Beat it using Ironclad a couple times, still trying to figure out what works for the other characters
  • Final Fantasy XII:Zodiac Age - Couldn't resist the Target deal and got it for $28. Only a couple hours in, but I'm really liking it.
Not to mention that I'm also planning on using a voucher on Mario Maker 2 this Friday. I tend to only play about an hour before bed each night, and it's getting hard to even decide which game to play... Lol.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Any decent visual novels on the eshop apart from Stein's Gate Elite (which I loved)?
Daedalus: the awakening of golden jazz (there's a demo)
Death mark is not bad and overall I enjoyed it, though I felt it became a little repetitive at some point
There's World End Syndrome which is apparently fine but I haven't played
I'm in the middle of the beginning of State of Mind, so no real opinion yet (except that I am still interested in continuing)
Also how could I forget, there's Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney trilogy)

Added: There are also some Telltale games such as Batman (which I enjoyed) and Walking Dead (first season and last season, haven't played either yet).

Last edited:

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
I have Cadence and FFXII on my plate right now. Luckily I'm close to finishing FFXII (brilliant game, can't recommend it enough) and Cadence is pretty short, so even though I'm getting Mario Maker I should be more than ready to tackle Fire Emblem when that comes out. Maybe I'll even have time to grab an indie between now and then, or beat something I've left by the wayside.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Feudal Alloy is 30% off 10.49€ on the EU eshop, wish it was 50% would easily bite :(

other new deals I'm noticing include

Riot Civil Unrest 40% off - 11.99€
The Count Lucanor 75% off -3.74€
The Stillness of the Wind 30% off - 8.04€
Dungeon Stars 50% off - 4.34€
The World Next Door 50% off - 6.49€
Cattails 25% off - 11.24€
Hive Jump 50% off - 4.99€

a few more things but as usual ill let someone else make the official full list when they fully update tomorow or whenever they do it.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
I finished Katana ZERO tonight.

WOW. I know this game got a lot of criticism on this thread about its game length, I think it's perfect. The game's story ends on an arc, and then setups a sequel with a "To be Continued..." but where it ends, makes sense. According to Steam it took me 5 hours. I felt like that's about perfect, the game doesn't overstay its welcome and the game doesn't feel bloated or has any filler whatsoever.

The story is WOW. I think this is the best example of "Art Violence". I mean, here you have a "16-bit" game doing violence in such a way that makes you feel... gross and queasy. I mean, that's an accomplishment for freaking pixel art! And I didn't feel like it felt it was doing this violence for cheap thrills. It all felt apart of the very mature/disturbing story it was trying to tell.

It's a great gaming "experience". It's a perfect example of why games don't need to be about "dollar per hours of game play" or things like that. As weird as this sounds: Katana ZERO is the best "video game art" I've played in a long time. The game play reasons for dying and retrying are connected beautifully into the game's story and presentation. Everything in its design is purposeful.

I honestly can't think of anything about the game I didn't like. Probably the violence. It was intense. But like I said, it was integral to the game's artistic experience, so it worked. It's honestly the first M-rated game I've finished since The Last of Us on PS3.

I've been seeing a lot of praise for this one over the last few months but your summation of it might be the most compelling for me yet. It'll be hard to resist grabbing this next time it's on sale...

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Dude have you played Ace Attorney Trilogy?

I mean, it's nowhere as serious as Steins;Gate but AA is an awesome and fun visual novel, with INCREDIBLE chiptune OST. Highly recommend it if you have never played the games.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Man that Steam Summer Sale is about to go live in about 20 minutes. I hope I can keep my spending sub $50. If there's nothing good for me, then I'll probably go ahead and pull the trigger on Bloodstained on Switch today. I know the performance issues exist, but I want that portability to remind me of playing Castlevania DS on the Nintendo handheld!

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Just warning but there's input lag with playing with a Pro controller.

And not with the joycons? I've never heard of this before, it seems like you'd have to put in some effort to introduce lag for just the pro controller. I was going to just use my 8bitdo pads but those connect as pro controllers as well.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Daedalus: the awakening of golden jazz (there's a demo)
Death mark is not bad and overall I enjoyed it, though I felt it became a little repetitive at some point
There's World End Syndrome which is apparently fine but I haven't played
I'm in the middle of the beginning of State of Mind, so no real opinion yet (except that I am still interested in continuing)
Also how could I forget, there's Phoenix Wright (Ace Attorney trilogy)

Added: There are also some Telltale games such as Batman (which I enjoyed) and Walking Dead (first season and last season, haven't played either yet).
How could I forget to recommend Phoenix Wright? One my my favourite series of all time!

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Is the Switch version of The Sexy Brutale really bad? I heard it was poor but does it make it unplayable in anyway?

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Hey, ya'll, a bit of a crosspost from the official Bloodstained thread, but I thought it was a worthy heads-up for ye olde eShoppers -- it might be wise to hold off on the reportedly underwhelming Switch version of the game. Here's today's update from the Bloodstained Kickstarter:

Jason Ryan said:
We have been listening to the feedback regarding Switch performance. Our goal is for everyone, regardless of platform, to be able to enjoy the game and have it run smoothly. We want to live up to your, and our, expectations.

Throughout the QA process we have been addressing performance issues in the game. Update 1.01 was published to Switch prior to launch to add content and improve performance. It did not accomplish as much as we had hoped and we need to do more.

To address the concerns brought up by the community we are immediately shifting resources to improve performance and stability for the Switch. You can expect a number of small updates that will improve different areas of the game rather than waiting longer for one big update. We will have more details as we dive into the work.

We thank you for your patience and apologize for the inconvenience.

Jason "Question" Ryan

Sr Community Manager – 505 Games

They've also reiterated this on the Bloodstained Twitter. Personally, I'd rather wait for improvements -- just hope they come before we get too deep into the ridiculous summer season on the eShop.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I appreciate that they're addressing the issues with the Switch version of Bloodstained, but I find it pretty sad that we've gotten to the point where publishers release games in miserable states, whether they plan to fix them eventually or not. As it stands I have no idea if I should simply go for PS4 or give it time on Switch... I mean how much can they even improve it to begin with? I doubt they want to spend that much on it and it is an UE4 game after all.

In any case, thanks for sharing the news on it.
2064: Read Only Memories is pretty good :)

And yeah, the Ace Attorney trilogy is a must-play.
ROM is more of an adventure game, but I can vouch for it being excellent too. Definitely recommend it

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Bloodstained on Switch impressions:

So far, so good! Despite the obvious downgrade the PS4/PC visuals (there's a very informative video posted on YouTube that compares Switch to PS4 so you can see all the graphical downgrades), I'm really enjoying the game. I purchased the game on Steam earlier this week and I wasn't able to get a stable 60 fps on my laptop (Surface Pro 6), it was dipping from 45 to 60 constantly and noticeably. The game also loads noticeably longer than the PC version with an SSD hard drive, but duh.

I've only played the first area, but the game seems (I don't have a FPS counter for my Switch or anything) to be a locked 30 FPS. Which I think works great in this game. Castlevania is a slow and deliberate action platformer, so I think as long as the game is able to maintain a locked 30 FPS, you're going to have a good time in CSV. The main character moves slow and has a bulky feel, like old school Castlevania does.

So I was able to get a Kickstarter Backer's code for $25 for the digital version here on Switch. I think it's hard to recommend paying full price $40 when the other versions are so much better. If you're able to get the game from a Kickstarter backer who doesn't want their Switch code, then I'd recommend the game at a solid $30 (getting -$10 off for performance issues compared to the other versions seems "fair"). Or just wait for the physical version to get cheaper. It's currently $32 on Amazon and you can get any retailer (except for GameStop?) to price match that, I think the game is a fair asking price for anything sub $40.

I'll keep on playing. I hear that it has certain areas later in the game where the FPS really dips, but I think that was already ironed out in the first patch and it looks like they'll keep going.

The game itself is super fun. You should definitely play it on any platform you can. I'm happy to have it portable on Switch, since I do 90% of my gaming handheld, it's going to be nice to have this in a much portable form.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I also bought Streets of Rogue on Steam today.

It's... okay? I can't get over the generic pixel art. The game play seems fun and really succeeds at what its trying to do. But yeah, I'm too stuck up about the graphics to get into the game.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
I finished Cadence of Hyrule tonight.

I had a good time with it. The music was amazing.

I wish the dungeons were a bit better and had more depth, and the game did become a lot easier as soon as I bought the spear, maybe too easy, but still, two big thumbs up.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Beat the final boss on Cuphead. I'd forgotten how I usually struggle on the first phase. Nothing terrible, but I always take at least one stupid hit. Then the other phases are a cake walk, meter builds super fast so finishing him off with a super or two is no problem at all. Managed to hit A- on him and King Dice, which is good enough as I can't really be bothered to replay King Dice's fight over and over until I nail the A rank proper!
Now going to work on expert mode, which is the one thing I never did on the Xbox One version.

Oh, and it goes without saying the game is amazing. So glad to see it ported. Now if we could see Ori and the Rare Replay collection make it across as well, I'd be very happy.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Didn't know about this, looks great! Is it difficult?
Not sure if someone else answered you on this but yeah, it's very, very difficult on the regular modes, but it's got a quite accessible 'novice mode' that is also a whole lot of fun. I think the mechanics are strong enough that it's pretty rewarding to just cruise through the easier modes. I've been really impressed with the game and I'm enjoying it a bunch.

(edit: this is in reference to Rolling Gunner)

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Don't forget Spelunky.

Yeah, it's surprising that one's still a no-show after all this time.

Big indies still MIA on Switch:

• Braid
• Doki Doki Literature Club!
• Fez
• FTL: Faster Than Light
• Kerbal Space Program
• Nidhogg
• Papers, Please
• Return of the Obra Dinn
• Subnautica
• Superhot
• The Stanley Parable
• The Talos Principle
• The Witness
• What Remains of Edith Finch

...Any others?

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK

• Braid
• Fez
• Kerbal Space Program
• Nidhogg
• Papers, Please
• Subnautica
• Superhot
• The Stanley Parable
• The Talos Principle
• The Witness

...Any others?

Isn't Nidhogg on Switch?

Mollymauk

Oct 27, 2017
Slay the Spire is fantastic. Got my first win with The Silent. This character just clicked with me.

A word of advice for anyone playing Graveyard Keeper
Expand your land early. I got into a situation where I really painted myself into a corner. I would have had to dismantle most of my crafting tables to dig myself out of it.

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017

• Braid
• Fez
• Kerbal Space Program
• Nidhogg
• Papers, Please
• Subnautica
• Superhot
• The Stanley Parable
• The Talos Principle
• The Witness

...Any others?

Having played Doki Doki, not sure if that experience can really transfer to a console well? Without spoiling it, there's some meta stuff that kinda needs to be done/seen on PC

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Having played Doki Doki, not sure if that experience can really transfer to a console well? Without spoiling it, there's some meta stuff that kinda needs to be done/seen on PC
Yeah true. They'd have to.... I dunno, just skip out on that stuff entirely. But that twist is really a huge part of the game experience. They could emulate a desktop OS...? But that would be lame. Nah, it's not something that would transfer to consoles at all.

I picked up Super Blood Hockey today. That game is surprisingly DEEP. There is a lot of depth to its simple game play and franchise management. Really fun way to play an old classic (NES Ice Hockey).

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I hate that I'm extremely tempted to buy Devil May Cry.

Not only do I own that game like 6 times, outside of its atmosphere, I don't even particularly care for DMC1 all that much.

Sparda help me once DMC3 hits the Switch.