• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Odeko

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Mar 22, 2018
West Blue
Yeah, I'm seconding not sleeping on Baba Is You. I personally haven't gotten a chance to try it yet but multiple creators I respect have been raving about it and I was instantly taken in by all the videos they've released. I'm a little worried that it won't make much of a splash so I wanted to shill it a little as well.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Thanks a lot, this is rising my hype to incredible levels.
By the way, how did you get the chance to play this early ?

The final build of the game has been active for some time.

All of that said, I recommend to not see any early video footage of the game, and trying to not read previews or reviews giving clues of some of its design elements.

It's a game that deserves to be experienced in a fresh way.

I'm really anxious to see this appearing next week, to see the reaction of other players.

The game has an incredible potential to become the next big indie success story through the work of mouth.

Last edited:

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
how does The Escapists 2 compare to the original?
2 has co-op for the campaign, and from what I've heard (I only played 2) the gameplay is smoother and less rough around the edges. That said, I still had to look some things up since the options and items are a bit overwhelming.

Also, 2 player local co-op is a blast, real fun to work together. Just know it will take some time getting the gist of it.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
So, I am indeed putting Final Fantasy IX on hold. I just got to Treno and the game feels like a chore to me. I'm not saying the game is bad, it's just not for me or I'm not in the right mood: the characters are very charming, but the story segments are too many and too lengthy for my tastes (I can see how that can be great for some people though).

D1IhxbpXcAALVI_.jpg:large

Combat is sluggish as hell as many have already said. It's not just that the ATB bar takes a while to fill up: it's that even after you choose an action, it takes forever to happen. And since the story bits are so long, it feels a bit frustrating to me that when you finally get to fight, it's this slow :(

In case anyone asks: yes, I've played and beat lots of Final Fantasy games before (I, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, XIII and XIII-2, love all of them), but this seems slower and more wordy than usual.

I started World of Final Fantasy this morning and it looks way more interesting to me (I guess "interesting" will save me from being crushed by FFIX fans ^_^).

D1IrczkXgAEqOME.jpg:large

I only played it for an hour, got the chocochic and now I'm back at the hub, but I see there are many ways to customize your characters, so combat looks promising! Does WoFF have any form of post-game? I feel like I might want to keep playing and customizing characters to face higher level enemies after I'm done with the main story.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
So, I am indeed putting Final Fantasy IX on hold. I just got to Treno and the game feels like a chore to me. I'm not saying the game is bad, it's just not for me or I'm not in the right mood: the characters are very charming, but the story segments are too many and too lengthy for my tastes (I can see how that can be great for some people though).

D1IhxbpXcAALVI_.jpg:large

Combat is sluggish as hell as many have already said. It's not just that the ATB bar takes a while to fill up: it's that even after you choose an action, it takes forever to happen. And since the story bits are so long, it feels a bit frustrating to me that when you finally get to fight, it's this slow :(

In case anyone asks: yes, I've played and beat lots of Final Fantasy games before (I, IV, V, VI, VII, VIII, XIII and XIII-2, love all of them), but this seems slower and more wordy than usual.

I started World of Final Fantasy this morning and it looks way more interesting to me (I guess "interesting" will save me from being crushed by FFIX fans ^_^).

D1IrczkXgAEqOME.jpg:large

I only played it for an hour, got the chocochic and now I'm back at the hub, but I see there are many ways to customize your characters, so combat looks promising! Does WoFF have any form of post-game? I feel like I might want to keep playing and customizing characters to face higher level enemies after I'm done with the main story.

You are exactly the kind of RPG fan I've been hoping to hear from about this game. FF IX looks like something I would love, but any time I watch video of it I find myself bored to tears, and I'm not even playing it! Slow combat, slow story, slow performance... it's enough to keep me from a purchase.

World of FF looks interesting, on the other hand, because it's snappy, has what looks like a potentially great combat system, and it seems pretty chill, without huge blocks of dialogue that force me to watch a movie in-between gameplay. Would love to hear what you think about combat and repetitiveness with this one once you get a little further in. I don't even mind the cute, pseudo-chibi-style artwork just so long as the game is genuinely fun and offers up decent rewards for the grind. I'm guessing the abilities you get from stacks start so synthesize in interesting ways later on?

Anyway, thanks for the post. This confirms for me that i'm not alone in shying away from RPGs with a little too much exposition.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Well, I bite the bullet with 'Valley' on Switch, that was a game recommended to me by a lot of friends.

I need to say that after playing the Switch ports of 'Android Assault Cactus+' and 'Valley', I'm really impressed with the level of optimization that has reached Unity on the console.

All of that said, contrary to 'Assault Android Cactus+', 'Valley' is downgraded respect to other versions, nothing surprising because in PC, this was one of the most graphical demanding and ambitious Unity games.

The resolution in portable mode seems in the 540p/600p mark, and some objects in the long distance are using low detailed models.

MLtRvXM.jpg

But even with this, this 'Valley' port results impressive, and a technical achievement in the things that is trying to do.

Because it perfectly catches the "feeling" of the original game. There are a lot of advanced effects like particles, motion blur to distort your vision, illumination effects... that have been retained.

hAmk562.jpg

At the end, the important thing is that it results in an immersive experience, and nothing looks so bad or graphically downgraded as to breaking the immersion.

It should be noted that this is a parkour game, in which you will be running through vast extensions, making impossible jumps and with gigantic maps.

6tooLGW.jpg

The initial loading screen is lengthy, but once you are into the game, it's a delight to see how you can run through these vast scenarios and the game retains its 30 FPS target most of the time. There are slight frame drops here and there, but they are very rare. And even when the framerate can drop for less than a second, it's still very close to the 30 FPS locked target.

If you have a powerful PC rig, this will be always the best way of experiencing the game.

But giving that this is a game made in Unity and not in a custom engine, and giving the specs of the Switch, there is some impressive engineering work in this version.

'Valley' pushes the limit of Unity on Switch, to make the best possible version achievable on the console.

I haven't tested the game in docked mode, and honestly, I don't mind.

When I decide to buy a game on Switch over other versions, is because I want to play this in portable mode.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
The game will defy people expectations.

The final game is incredibly more ambitious in its level design that the initial prototype.

I doubt that without guides, this can be completed in less than 50 hours. I'm currently with 52 levels completed.

Some levels are so devilish hard regarding how they force you to discard the assumed conventions, or defying the own established rules of the game, that can take +2 hours to complete. But two hours that instead of full of frustration, are full of the joy of experimenting and toying with the rules of the game.

All of that said, the game is very generous with the players, and there are a lot of tools to change the order of the levels, or to skip the hard levels.

The game is structured in a way in which there are not two players that will have the same experience, plus every level can have different solutions, plus the are a lot of different paths.

I'm playing in a completionist way, by not skipping levels, and by not altering the set numbered order in each world.

And I insist: this has nothing to do with the prototype.

The initial prototype was a very cool idea, a promising concept.

But in the final game, the developer has spent years working with this initial idea, to create an ambitious and unforgettable game, that it's much more than a cool or an original concept. And it's one of the greatest achievements in level design.

Will the game cure Cancer as well?

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Yes, I'm 15 hours into it. And I'm only scratching the surface.

Never ceases to impress with new ideas.

15 hours? Baba is You is that long?
Anyway, I'm with you on this one. Baba is You has all the markings of being the indie darling of 2019. It's my most anticipated game of the year at the moment.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I know this is kind of self-promotion but I promised big things in here about the quality of the Switch version of Assault Android Cactus, talking up the new content and the effort we went through to make it play amazing, and I'm feeling pretty happy right now because the world fact-checked me and found it truthful.

D1Gdk8EU4AA5E0J.jpg:large

FIne fine I'll buy your game.

Yes, I'm 15 hours into it. And I'm only scratching the surface.

Never ceases to impress with new ideas.

So I assume it delivers according to you? Another expensive month ahead I guess.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017
Come on man, let people enjoy and be hyped about things :P

I get it, the dude is just starting to get a little evangelical and it's a bit annoying. It's the whole "this game is the best ever and everything else is shit" attitude that's tiresome.

It's only a little frustrating since reading shit like that will only set lofty expectations for me going into the game and at this point there's no way it can live up to them...but that's my problem and it's just a minor annoyance.

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
The most funny thing is that 'Baba Is You' will indeed contribute not to cure cancer, but to construct a better society.

Because its developer will donate a 10% of its personal income to the the charity association GivingWhatWeCan.org

A compromise that its expressed in the initial title screen of the game.

That's great! I knew the game was going to be something very special but you're making the wait more difficult :)

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
I get it, the dude is just starting to get a little evangelical and it's a bit annoying. It's the whole "this game is the best ever and everything else is shit" attitude that's tiresome.

When I have made a single comparison seeing that something is shit?

It's not my personal style to throw shit to other games if I need to talk about a game.

That by the way, it's a generalized problem in ERA, because when a game doesn't meet the expectations of an user, or it has a single unpolished thing, this become automatically the new 'Superman 64'.

So please, don't put on my mouth words that I haven't said.

Or try to antagonize me with a description that it's not accurate.

With how complicated is development, and how immensely hard is to launch a game, I will never throw shit or using disrespectful words to talk about a game.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

It's only a little frustrating since reading shit like that will only set lofty expectations for me going into the game and at this point there's no way it can live up to them...but that's my problem and it's just a minor annoyance.

I find His posts to be good and full of informations.
I get that some people can be bothered with enthusiasm in our era of cynism but if it's that unbearable to you, just embrace the "ignore" fonction.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

It's not my personal style to throw shit to other games if I need to talk about a game.

That by the way, it's a generalized problem in ERA, because when a game doesn't meet the expectations of an user, or it has a single unpolished thing, this become automatically the new 'Superman 64'.

With how complicated is development, and how immensely hard is to launch a game, I will never throw shit or using disrespectful words to talk about a game.

Ok dude, you just come across as sounding bitter that people are hyped about DMCV as well, just not on your level of hype for Baba.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis

I recommend you either put him on ignore or leave the thread. He's been nothing but informative and helpful which is more than can be said for any of your posts trying to degrade his

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
So it's a good port, then?

I've always wanted to try it and today when I saw it in the eShop I let out "oh shit" because it is so hard to keep track of all these damn games.

Pretty solid so far, a few dips here and there, but it also has huge environments and a sort of dynamic life death mechanic.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Ok dude, you just come across as sounding bitter that people are hyped about DMCV as well, just not on your level of hype for Baba.

No, I have never criticized people hyping 'Devil May Cry 5', and indeed, I love this.

Because I understand a video game forum as a way to celebrate video games.

A place in which people who love games, comes to share their love for the things that they enjoy.

I was criticizing your hypocritical attitude of only being surprised when the hyped or anticipated game is an indie game, and not the normal triple A production.

BourbonJungle

Nov 1, 2017
I find His posts to be good and full of informations.
I get that some people can be bothered with enthusiasm in our era of cynism but if it's that unbearable to you, just embrace the "ignore" fonction.

Agreed, Epilexia's insights are one of the big reasons I keep coming back to this thread. Really appreciate how different his criteria is from the average gamer and how informed he is on indie/arcade game development around the globe. His interests may not always line up with mine (mostly high-score chasing stuff), but I really enjoy the enthusiasm and in-depth discussion of a lot of games that don't get much attention.

Like I think I'd dismissed Valley because IGN gave it a 4/10, but with his and other people's feedback i actually looked closer at what the game is and may give it a chance on PS4 or Switch if there's a good deal to be had.

Will also pick up Baba is You as soon as possible.

Last edited:

Squid Bunny

One Winged Slayer
Jun 11, 2018
Damn, I was late to the baseball train. Don't mind me then...
Sadly there just isn't a market, we used to have like 3-4 Baseball games a year, World Series was solid, High Heat was good, 2K series came from World Series eventually. Just a shame. Even EA had a good MLB game.
I'd really love to see the Super Mega Baseball games come to Switch. I put like 40 hours into the first one on PC lol.
All I want is to play Super Mega Baseball on Switch.
yep 2K had exclusive rights to the 3rd party MLB games, I think that agreements has expired though and it's just no one is really interested in making MLB games
Konami could bring back MLB Power Pros. That game had so much content, it was ridiculous.

This is added to the fact that Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution, from Bandai Namco's long running Family Stadium series, was delisted from the JP e-shop last month, only six months after release. Bloody shame, as it had a ridiculous amount of licensed leagues (the NPB, Japan's college league, softball, several minor leagues, Hall of Fame teams, high school baseball, women's baseball and even playable mascots). At least you can still import the physical copies, but the 14 pieces of DLC that it had (which I can't find exactly what they were) are gone for good. =(

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
Anyone have any impressions of Party Hard?

I kinda get a slight Hotline Miami vibe from it and I'm in the mood for something like that.
Eh. Party Hard is ok. It's neat at first, but wears thin fast. The main issue though is that it's nothing like Hotline Miami. So if that's what you're looking for, this is not that.

dialogic

Oct 30, 2017
Just bought Android Assault Cactus+. Already owned it on Steam, but I'd rather play it portably & the devs deserve the money. Sounds like an awesome port and I hope it's a big hit on Switch.

I also couldn't resist, in spite of already owning and playing this game extensively on Steam. I had been greatly anticipating the Wii U release back in the day and was disappointed that it never materialized. Mostly I had wanted the option to play in handheld mode, so this is just as good, or better, despite the long wait. I hope it's a hit on Switch; it deserves a ton of success!

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Damn, I was late to the baseball train. Don't mind me then...

All I want is to play Super Mega Baseball on Switch.

Konami could bring back MLB Power Pros. That game had so much content, it was ridiculous.

This is added to the fact that Pro Yakyuu Famista Evolution, from Bandai Namco's long running Family Stadium series, was delisted from the JP e-shop last month, only six months after release. Bloody shame, as it had a ridiculous amount of licensed leagues (the NPB, Japan's college league, softball, several minor leagues, Hall of Fame teams, high school baseball, women's baseball and even playable mascots). At least you can still import the physical copies, but the 14 pieces of DLC that it had (which I can't find exactly what they were) are gone for good. =(
I mean Power Pro is coming out in Japan. I would love for someone to put the MLB license on it and release it stateside

Phabh

Oct 28, 2017
Epilexia would you mind sharing the link to your GOTY list from last year? You seem to know what you're talking about ;)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

It has a huge postgame. Multiple dungons, multiple super bosses, additional character scenarios, a NG+ where you keep everything and monster levels skyrocket, etc.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Eh. Party Hard is ok. It's neat at first, but wears thin fast. The main issue though is that it's nothing like Hotline Miami. So if that's what you're looking for, this is not that.
I may give it a try. I can take repetitive as long as it's something I like. It's why I buy most every Ubisoft open-world game.

I did just reinstalled both Hotline Miami games so I'll get my fix there.

Man those games would be great on Switch.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Not sure if it's been mentioned but from 3/10 (ie: MAR10 day) to 3/16
Super Mario Party
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Tennis Aces
New Super Mario Bros U

will be 39.99 digitally. At least from best buy, target, and walmart. And Amazon. I'm not sure why Amazon gets a separate blurb. Not sure if it's also going to be on eshop, I would assume so but they specifically mention these retailers.

https://www.nintendo.com/games/sales-and-deals

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
It's not just that the ATB bar takes a while to fill up

Definitely increase the ATB bar speed.

I do think there are valid criticisms of FF9. But it does get a lot right. Its delivery of story using the ATE thing is fantastic, it has by far the best fleshed out world of characters and locale of any Final Fantasy game....*in the main island.

I found the way that the story enforces party changes on you really clever. Situations where you're having to face off against a Black Waltz when you've only got two magic users and a knight, interesting. On the flip, your other squad has NO magic users whatsoever. Really forced me out of my comfortable FF groove. It kind of peters out once you leave the main island and the structure then settles.

Did like the levelling up mechanism, having it tie to garb and weapons.

The second half of the game did kind of sour it for me. When a key antagonist is introduced mainly in a "hello, you have no idea who the fuck I am but I'm here now to mix shit up" fashion. Also applies to the final boss of the game.

FAR too many battles that end with your squad being wiped by Ultima.

Short summon animations :(

But. But. It does have a wonderful charm to it. Each of the PSone FF games has flaws, but I feel they are forgivable.

bender

Oct 27, 2017
A few levels in and Assault Android Cactus is silky smooth. Seems to be a really impressive port. The game just screams Dreamcast to me.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
Man I was going into Baba Is You thinking ok it's reasonably cheap and so will probably give me a good 6 hours of puzzling but it really sounds like there's way more to it than I thought.

Thanks for your thoughts Epilexia.

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
Super Mario Party
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Tennis Aces
New Super Mario Bros U

will be 39.99 digitally. At least from best buy, target, and walmart. And Amazon. I'm not sure why Amazon gets a separate blurb. Not sure if it's also going to be on eshop, I would assume so but they specifically mention these retailers.

How is Mario Tennis nowadays? It seems kinda fun!

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017

Just wanted to tell you that while our tastes are not identical (I have a problem with difficult games), your posts are greatly appreciated.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Super Mario Party
Super Mario Odyssey
Mario Kart 8 Deluxe
Mario Tennis Aces
New Super Mario Bros U

Nice find! 👍

Really shocked to see NSMBUD on there, which released less than 2 months ago, has been selling very well, and is already getting an officially-sanctioned sale at 33% off.

That's extremely untypical of Nintendo.

Week March 07th
OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Full week on eShop:

NA PR, Sales
EU PR, Sales
JP Article

- Games
  • Assault Android Cactus+ - Witch Beam - $19.99/€19.99 - 1.4 GB
  • Beat Cop - 11bit Studios - $14.99/€14.99 - 623 MB
  • Valley - Blue Isle Studios - $19.99/€17.29 (Launch sale: $13.99/€12.10) - 3.5 GB
  • Unknown Fate - Marslit Games - $14.99/€14.99 (Launch sale: $12.74/€12.74) - 3.1 GB
  • Darkest Hunter - Ultimate Games - $5.30 - 195 MB *NA*
    assaultandroidcactus8ckp5.jpg
    beatcopooj9l.jpg
    valleymuk3d.jpg
    unknownfatefljkc.jpg
    darkesthuntersoljf8.jpg
  • 12 Is Better Than 6 - Hypetrain Digital - $9.99/€9.99 - 299 MB
  • Hard West - Forever Ent. - $17.99/€19.99 (Launch sale: $16.19/€13.39) - 5.4 GB
  • Elevator...to the Moon! Turbo Champion's Edition - Arcade Distillery - $14.99 - 924 MB *NA*
  • Bard's Gold - Pixel Lantern - $8.99/€8.99 (Launch sale: $8.09/€8.09) - 115 MB
  • Pillar - Michael Hicks - $7.99/€7.99 - 587 MB
    12isbetterthan6j2jxh.jpg
    hardwest0kkj0.jpg
    elevator...tothemoontufkii.jpg
    bardsgold-nintendoswi5zkpn.jpg
    pillar7ykr7.jpg
  • Ikari Warriors - Arcade - SNK/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • R.B.I. Baseball 19 - MLBam - $29.99/€29.99 - 4.0 GB
  • Braveland Trilogy - Ellada Games - $14.99/€14.99 - 374 MB
  • Paperbound Brawlers - Dissident Logic - $14.99/€14.99 - 289 MB
  • Monument Builders Rushmore - Microids - $6.99/€6.99 - 232 MB
    arcadearchivesikariwazvkct.jpg
    r.b.i.baseball196yjs7.jpg
    bravelandtrilogykuk1a.jpg
    paperboundbrawlerscik4o.jpg
    monumentbuildersrushm9lktd.jpg
  • Mahjong Stories: Vampire Romance - JetDogs - $4.99/€4.99 - 247 MB
  • Freecell Solitaire - Vertical Reach - $4.49/€3.99 - 174 MB
  • Proficient Paddles Deluxe - Cyclone Studios - $3.49/€3.59 (Launch sale: $2.79) - 100 MB
    mahjongstoriesvampiret7j07.jpg
    freecellsolitairexrkf7.jpg
    proficientpaddlesdelumokxu.jpg

- DLCs
  • Taiko no Tatsujin: Drum'n'Fun! - Bandai Namco
    Vocaloid Song Pack Vol 2 - $4.99/€4.99

- Demos
  • Collidalot - Grunka Munka
  • Pillar - Michael Hicks

- Late regional releases
  • V-Rally 4 - Bigben Interactive - $49.99 - 11.4 GB *NA*
  • Ghoulboy - Dolores Ent. - $9.99 - 329 MB *NA*
  • My Little Riding Champion - Bigben Interactive - $29.99 - 2.0 GB *NA*
  • Quest for the Golden Duck - Bigosaur - €8.99 - 306 MB *EU*

Camjo-Z

Oct 25, 2017

epilexia's unquenchable hype for everything is my favorite part of these threads

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Wait, NSMBU Deluxe is $40? The price it should've been in the first place?

That's damn tempting...