• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll be getting Valhalla since I already own it on Vita, but I'm curious about wether the JP Switch release will include english. I saw the developer flat out ignored questions about it when they were posting the news of the JP release, haha.
I really wish they were more upfront about this.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
grabbed a cheap code for Salt & Sanctuary off the BST thread yesterday. It runs really well in handheld mode. Just beat the first boss and now I'm getting destroyed by everything. Fun game!

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone knows at what time Baba is You will be downloadable tomorrow ?
I'd really love to play it at work during my launch break.
If the release date is the 13th then it should be available to play sometime tomorrow morning so you'll probably be good to play it on your lunch?

I wonder if we will get reviews today.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Annoying Old Party Man

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Any A Link to the Past/Secret of Mana - like titles to plunge myself into? I'm having the itch but not sure what I should buy....

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
I don't think I'll be getting Valhalla since I already own it on Vita, but I'm curious about wether the JP Switch release will include english. I saw the developer flat out ignored questions about it when they were posting the news of the JP release, haha.
I am confused, if there is an english release the game/system will default to that?

Like I have. the Japanese version Cart of Setsuna but it runs in English bc there is an English version.

Is there going to be an English version of the game?

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
I am confused, if there is an english release the game/system will default to that?

Like I have. the Japanese version Cart of Setsuna but it runs in English bc there is an English version.

There isn't a universal standard. Some games will do this, some games won't. Some games will withold English from the JP release even when they are releasing an English copy in another region on the same day. The languages listed eShop listing are the best indicator of what it will support.

I'm mostly just curious because I don't know if the NA release will have the soundtrack/be physical at all.

Oct 25, 2017
For the dozens of you folks looking forward to Super Real Mahjong PV releasing on the Japanese eShop on March 14th, Famitsu is saying that it's been censored by rays of white light. Well, actually Hachimaki was the site that made the big fuss about the Famitsu article and drew my attention to it.

Long story short, it's not going to be the same as the original Sega Saturn age-restricted release.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201903/12173126.html (Japanese article - copy and paste the link if it doesn't load)

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I am feeling rather lukewarm about Death Road to Canada. The gameplay feels samey even after only half a dozen runs. I really loved Organ Trail a couple of years ago. But the journey in that game felt more epic and the atmosphere felt stronger to me. Does the Death Road grow over time or did I see what there is to see?

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
I am feeling rather lukewarm about Death Road to Canada. The gameplay feels samey even after only half a dozen runs. I really loved Organ Trail a couple of years ago. But the journey in that game felt more epic and the atmosphere felt stronger to me. Does the Death Road grow over time or did I see what there is to see?

That is EXACTLY how I felt about DRTC vs Organ Trail. Would love to see Organ Trail come to Switch.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah like it's been said, it varies a lot. Some games will include english and other languages despite the localized version not being out yet, like Setsuna and most recently the Ace Attorney collection.

Valhalla will indeed have an english version (it's an indie game made in Brazil that's been out in a while for other systems and was available in english from the get go), but we're still in the dark about when it's coming out or whether it'll get a physical version outside of Japan (it probably won't unless it's from LRG). All we know it's coming out this year.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
In my search for Switch indie reviews this thread sent me to Budget Gamer on YouTube. I'm old (42 lol), and have not really used YT for gaming related anything but I am now a believer!! I spent 2 hours watching Switch reviews and am so happy to have found someone going through a lot of these weekly releases that basically have no reviews. I bought 5 games last night due to Budget Gamer :)

Unrelated: I am still interested in YIIK. I held off buying it due to some criticisms like battles taking so long with mini games, and long load times. Has the game ever been patched to address issues? Any current impressions of the game would be great if anyone has played it.

Switch is amazing. The number of games releasing is just bananas, and such a sea change from most Nintendo systems after SNES. I've now filled up a 64GB and 128GB Carr so Im looking at buying a 400GB one to have all my games on 1 card. What a great problem to have.

<3 my Switch

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019
Anyone have any impressions on Spintires: Mudrunner? How is the port?

Worth it for 25 euros for a physical copy?

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Would y'all still recommend WoFF to someone who has little experience and no nostalgia for the FF games? I've played a bit of I and V on gba and that's it. But I'm in the mood for a kinda low key jrpg.

Alejandro

Jan 9, 2018
Yooka Laylee is 20 bucks on the eshop...worth it?

I bought it on sale too last year and with lowered expectations (because of all the negative to middling reviews) and i was STILL disappointed.
I love Banjo, Rare and collectathons, I'm even fond of DK64 but the level design on Yooka-Laylee is kinda poor, just traversing the world felt tedious.
The controls weren't particularly tight, and the whole thing just lacked charm. Didn't make it past the first world. I feel bad writing this for something that wasn't a cynical nostalgia play (every developer interview i've read feels like they cared) but it's not a good game. I think it's been cheaper in other consoles so if you still want to try it out - wait for a bigger sale.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Unrelated: I am still interested in YIIK. I held off buying it due to some criticisms like battles taking so long with mini games, and long load times. Has the game ever been patched to address issues? Any current impressions of the game would be great if anyone has played it.
load time patch came out last week

next one already on the way

mute

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
For the dozens of you folks looking forward to Super Real Mahjong PV releasing on the Japanese eShop on March 14th, Famitsu is saying that it's been censored by rays of white light. Well, actually Hachimaki was the site that made the big fuss about the Famitsu article and drew my attention to it.

Long story short, it's not going to be the same as the original Sega Saturn age-restricted release.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201903/12173126.html (Japanese article - copy and paste the link if it doesn't load)
Not the most educated on the cero regulations nowadays but I always figured there was little/no chance releasing it today with the content unchanged.

I thought that the delay (IIRC) might have been them having a go at it but being told to change it, but either way, not surprised.

Fireblend

Oct 25, 2017
Costa Rica
Would y'all still recommend WoFF to someone who has little experience and no nostalgia for the FF games? I've played a bit of I and V on gba and that's it. But I'm in the mood for a kinda low key jrpg.
Sure. I've played plenty of FF and the character cameos in World are kinda de-contextualized in a way that makes them seem more like cute nods rather than full-on cameos someone without knowledge of the franchise wouldn't enjoy. The nostalgia really kicks in for me with the music, which is great regardless. And the game is pretty good, I'm enjoying it a whole lot mechanically, 20 hours in.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Honestly it doesn't rely on nostalgia nearly as much as I expected, and the main draw is the gameplay really. I say yes.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
In my search for Switch indie reviews this thread sent me to Budget Gamer on YouTube. I'm old (42 lol), and have not really used YT for gaming related anything but I am now a believer!! I spent 2 hours watching Switch reviews and am so happy to have found someone going through a lot of these weekly releases that basically have no reviews. I bought 5 games last night due to Budget Gamer :)

Switch is amazing. The number of games releasing is just bananas, and such a sea change from most Nintendo systems after SNES. I've now filled up a 64GB and 128GB Carr so Im looking at buying a 400GB one to have all my games on 1 card. What a great problem to have.

<3 my Switch
Glad someone else checked out this guys reviews.

He sold me on Mana Spark and it has taken over our Switch. My wife and I play it constantly. She is getting close to breaking through the third world and he did a good job of prepping us for how the game flows with a not too difficult boss followed by a difficult stage spike. Its not a perfect game but it was $4 and totally worth it.

I almost bought daggerhood based of his review too. So it is nice to see some more videos and hear some thoughts about games. Not that I agree with everything he says but so far he has backed up his points with context and video.

ASaiyan

Oct 25, 2017
Yooka Laylee is 20 bucks on the eshop...worth it?
I played it for free at a friend's house and I still want my money back.

It's everything that was bad about Banjo-Tooie magnified a thousandfold. Massive, boring, empty levels, ugly character designs, music that vacillates between soulless and just incredibly loud....

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Not the most educated on the cero regulations nowadays but I always figured there was little/no chance releasing it today with the content unchanged.

I thought that the delay (IIRC) might have been them having a go at it but being told to change it, but either way, not surprised.
My understanding is that CERO allows NO nudity in games (you can have partial nudity, maybe a bit of butt crack, but no nipples), as they've removed nudity &/or sex scenes from foreign games like Witcher and games that appeared like on the Saturn were made before the CERO was created (they were founded in 2002, so during the PS2/GCN/Xbox era), so they probably would have to be altered to be allowed to be re-released in this day & age.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo

I'd say give it a go. Slow start, but then the game opens up. And the story isn't nearly as lackluster as reviews suggested. There's some cliches and some of the humor is extra silly, but it's incredibly chill and fun and better than any mainline game I've played since...... VII? I haven't played XII yet, but yeah... it's really solid overall.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

I heard the original game shows nipples, so no surprise. After all, CERO was established in 2002.

Captain of Outer Space

Come Sale Away With Me
Oct 28, 2017
I mentioned before around Defense Grid 2's launch that I had a few issues with it that marred an otherwise great package and the update that was released today seems to address all of them. I'll need to play it to see if that's the case and whether anything else pops up, but this is big news for me.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
So the European eShop now has a new bundle for Bomber Crew, including the main game and some DLC. It's discounted from 20 to 16. However, the main game is currently on sale for 6 (from 16) while the dlc costs 7 when bought separately, which means that it's cheaper to buy the items individually than the discounted bundle.

And no Baba is Me yet.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
lollll this is what i'm here for
Anyone have any impressions on Spintires: Mudrunner? How is the port?

Worth it for 25 euros for a physical copy?
It's a very very good port. One of the best looking 3D third-party games I've played on the Switch, and no real performance issues from what I've seen. It's got probably the biggest difference between handheld and docked modes of any game that I've seen, but it looks decent enough handheld, it's just much much nicer when docked. I haven't played the game on PC or anything but from what I can tell it just about is the full experience. It plays really well with the controller, just some of the situational controls (e.g. the grabby claw-crane on some of the trucks) take some getting used to. The biggest issue with the port from what I've played is the lack of analog acceleration, but most situations where you'd want it can be handled by using a lower gear.

It's a really cool and unique game and it's great and weird to be able to play it on a Nintendo console lol. There's a sort of absurd amount of content if you let yourself get really into it, but even just the challenge maps and two or three of the main maps (I think there's a ten or so in total) would be enough to feel like a pretty complete package to me.
All that being said, I think it's sort of a hard game to broadly recommend, since I'd imagine it's pretty hit-or-miss whether someone enjoys the actual gameplay at all.....