• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
I
This has nothing to do with the Switch or eShop thread in general, but I felt I kinda needed to vent about this here..

So, because Steins;Gate has come out for the Switch and because I'm a pretty big fan of VN's, I thought about picking it up. What stopped me however was the fact that I own it on the Vita, so I've been playing that version instead and I've been enjoying it... somewhat.

Lately I've noticed that my Vita's been acting weird, in that whenever I put it in sleep mode, it closes whatever game I'm playing. Kind of annoying but I just have to remember to constantly save.

Anyway, I take my Vita out of sleep mode one day and in force closes SG yet again. Not too worried since I know I quick saved before I put my vita in sleep mode, I boot up like normal and proceed to continue playing. What wasn't normal was the "save data corrupted" screen I was introduced to.. Again, I wasn't totally worried about it since I figured it deleted my last save and since I constantly save in multiple save slots, I'd have to replay maybe 10-15 minutes tops.

Well, that wasn't the case at all.

All of my data was erased and at first I thought it was some meta-narrative, Yoko Taro thing where the Organization erased my files but then I quickly realized my Vita just suck. And you know what, I started a new game and fast-forwarded my way back to the point I was (which was about 7-8 hours in) in about 20 minutes! Haha

And I'll tell you what, if I didn't just get to the part of the story where things just started getting really good, I would've just washed my hands and walked away from this game forever.

So, to tie this back to the Switch... Steins;Gate is pretty damn good, y'all. I can't speak to the Switch version and as I've mentioned before, it takes a good damn long time before it gets good, but when it gets there, it gets there and keeps going. So if you're into visual novels, give it a go!
I finished S;G Elite today and wow. That True Ending... It's one of the GOAT game endings. I really think S;G is one of my favourite stories in all media.

I immediately jumped into S;G 0 anime today because I want more. To my knowledge there isn't any news of a localized version of that coming and honestly I don't want to wait.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
It is with a heavy heart that I must report that a game literally banned on this website is having its sequel come to Switch on the 26th of April.
Senran Kagura Reflexions 2: Reflex Harder?

......no seriously, I'm looking at the list & not sure what you're referring to. Moero Chronicle Hyper? That's not on the list of banned games nor do I think it's a sequel.

Edit: Oh, it's sorta kinda considered part of the same series as Monster Monpiece despite having different gameplay & characters. Now it makes sense.

Last edited:

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I

I finished S;G Elite today and wow. That True Ending... It's one of the GOAT game endings. I really think S;G is one of my favourite stories in all media.

I immediately jumped into S;G 0 anime today because I want more. To my knowledge there isn't any news of a localized version of that coming and honestly I don't want to wait.
S;G 0 has been available in English since late 2016, though? If you're specifically talking about the Switch version, the Japanese version will only launch tomorrow(20th), and that version is bundled with a game that doesn't have a localization yet, so it'll probably take some time for it to arrive outside of Japan.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
All this talk about S;G... 5pb, release a compilation of Never7, Ever17, Remember11 and 12Riven on Switch. I will buy it on a whim.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
S;G 0 has been available in English since late 2016, though? If you're specifically talking about the Switch version, the Japanese version will only launch tomorrow(20th), and that version is bundled with a game that doesn't have a localization yet, so it'll probably take some time for it to arrive outside of Japan.

Yeah I'm talking Switch. I looked at screens of the Vanilla version, I'm so glad I played Elite, I like the anime art style soooo much better.

The Zero anime on Hulu is dubbed and I think all the characters sound great! I'm really impressed with this series. I'm not a huge anime guy by any means, but I'm officially 💯 a fan of S;G now. I see the obvious inspiration to Zero Escape, which is now been bumped to my 2nd favorite game story.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I'm talking Switch. I looked at screens of the Vanilla version, I'm so glad I played Elite, I like the anime art style soooo much better.

The Zero anime on Hulu is dubbed and I think all the characters sound great! I'm really impressed with this series. I'm not a huge anime guy by any means, but I'm officially 💯 a fan of S;G now. I see the obvious inspiration to Zero Escape, which is now been bumped to my 2nd favorite game story.
S;G is a contender for my GOAT. I grabbed Elite at launch but am waiting to play it as a treat for myself.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
S;G is a contender for my GOAT. I grabbed Elite at launch but am waiting to play it as a treat for myself.

Elite is going to be in my Top 3 of the year. I'm certain I won't play a better game story all year, hell... Maybe ever. I honestly haven't enjoyed a game story full through plus it's ending since:

Ace Attorney 6
Virtues Last Reward
Xenoblade Chronicles 1 (X and 2 to a lesser extent)
Persona 3 and 4

Those are my favorites, but S;G Elite is better than them all.

... the only game story that I'm missing that I need to play would be Nier Automata. Hopefully will come to Switch at some point.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
This has nothing to do with the Switch or eShop thread in general, but I felt I kinda needed to vent about this here..

So, because Steins;Gate has come out for the Switch and because I'm a pretty big fan of VN's, I thought about picking it up. What stopped me however was the fact that I own it on the Vita, so I've been playing that version instead and I've been enjoying it... somewhat.

Lately I've noticed that my Vita's been acting weird, in that whenever I put it in sleep mode, it closes whatever game I'm playing. Kind of annoying but I just have to remember to constantly save.

Anyway, I take my Vita out of sleep mode one day and in force closes SG yet again. Not too worried since I know I quick saved before I put my vita in sleep mode, I boot up like normal and proceed to continue playing. What wasn't normal was the "save data corrupted" screen I was introduced to.. Again, I wasn't totally worried about it since I figured it deleted my last save and since I constantly save in multiple save slots, I'd have to replay maybe 10-15 minutes tops.

Well, that wasn't the case at all.

All of my data was erased and at first I thought it was some meta-narrative, Yoko Taro thing where the Organization erased my files but then I quickly realized my Vita just suck. And you know what, I started a new game and fast-forwarded my way back to the point I was (which was about 7-8 hours in) in about 20 minutes! Haha

And I'll tell you what, if I didn't just get to the part of the story where things just started getting really good, I would've just washed my hands and walked away from this game forever.

So, to tie this back to the Switch... Steins;Gate is pretty damn good, y'all. I can't speak to the Switch version and as I've mentioned before, it takes a good damn long time before it gets good, but when it gets there, it gets there and keeps going. So if you're into visual novels, give it a go!

Have you tried shutting down the Vita? Is SleepMode borked for all your games & apps?

If that fails, is there a "Full Reset" option? I thought there was...

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Finished The Red Strings Club. That was really good.

It's a pretty bold cyberpunk adventure game, one of those that do cyberpunk "right" in my eyes. Some very interesting takes on gender, sexuality, transhumanism and how technology interacts with it all. A couple of really hard choices here and there too; that surprised. Very thought provoking.

A couple flaws I can think of would be that some gameplay elements aren't very well suited for Switch (I'm guessing they work better with touch controls, which are a thing but I didn't try them), but if this is the only version you have access to the it's definitely playable; these sections are few and far in between anyway. Game is kinda short too, which is a shame because I really wanted more out of these characters and world; I think it's more or less 4 hours long, though there's a lot of choices that change outcomes and the game encourages more playthroughs.

There's a plot point that can be considered problematic tho, and it bothered me but it's relatively spoilery (knowing about it won't ruin the story for you tho)
A late game puzzle requires you to use a trans person's deadname to solve it. This, according to the developers (one of which is a trans woman) was done to paint a certain character as a tactless moron.

But yeah, game was awesome. It's really too bad it's so plot centered and didn't offer some more conversations that didn't specifically serve the main narrative.

I was quoting you to recommend 0 if that ever got localized on Switch but I see you're already watching the anime, cool. I hope it does it justice because I enjoyed the game a lot; even more than the original.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
Finished The Red Strings Club. That was really good.

I just started it so I'm only like an hour in, but it's a really cool game. Cyberpunk never seems to get enough love, so I usually go for whatever I can get. Have you played State of Mind by chance? I really want to pick it up but $40 seems like a big ask.

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
Was eyeing up the Guilty Gear 20th Anniversary collection (Guilty Gear and GGXX: Acore Plus) and noticed it seems to be a platform exclusive! No PS4 version planned at all. Well worth noting if you want to snag it. Got the physical version for £26 on pre-order!

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I just started it so I'm only like an hour in, but it's a really cool game. Cyberpunk never seems to get enough love, so I usually go for whatever I can get. Have you played State of Mind by chance? I really want to pick it up but $40 seems like a big ask.
I hadn't heard of that game at all until now, but looking it up, it looks neat. I might look into it...

As for other cyberpunk experiences on Switch, I can recommend Read Only Memories and the upcoming VA-11 HALL-A; both excellent and among my favorites. The latter is actually all about bartending too, which is why I was so interested in Red Strings, haha.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
As for other cyberpunk experiences on Switch, I can recommend Read Only Memories and the upcoming VA-11 HALL-A; both excellent and among my favorites. The latter is actually all about bartending too, which is why I was so interested in Red Strings, haha.
Yeah, I've already played 2064 and I'm planning on picking up VA-11 HALL-A. Like I said, pretty slim pickings for Cyberpunk as a genre.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I think I'm too stupid for Baba is You..

Have you tried shutting down the Vita? Is SleepMode borked for all your games & apps?

If that fails, is there a "Full Reset" option? I thought there was...
I have and that didn't help.

I've disabled notifications and that seemed to be working but we'll see.

Thanks for the suggestions.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
When you're stuck on a puzzle more than 30 mins, just go to another one.

Baba is You is 1st on the general Nintendo eShop ranking in France !
Is it the same in other countries ?

Don't know about other countries, but when I just checked Steam, it's in the Top 20 Best-Sellers Globally & #3 in US. I can only image that it's selling even better on Switch.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
When you're stuck on a puzzle more than 30 mins, just go to another one.

In Spain is 4th in the total ranking, and 3th in the download only games.

Nintendo Life, once famous for its coverage of indie titles, should feel ashamed of not having published a review for the most important indie release of 2019.

Since Thomas Whitehead abandoned his role as editor, the web has been in a serious decline.

And now, they are a clickbait joke.

Yeah, with this new approach they will get a lot of clicks and visits, because with the hard work of the previous team, they were able to built a recognizable brand. But in less than a year, they have completely lost its prestige and reputation.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Don't know about other countries, but when I just checked Steam, it's in the Top 20 Best-Sellers Globally & #3 in US. I can only image that it's selling even better on Switch.

Are you sure that you are looking to the Top Selling chart, and not the New and Trending tag?

In Spain, it's as the 2nd in the New and Trending Tag of Steam. But it doesn't appear in the Top Selling chart.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Are you sure that you are looking to the Top Selling chart, and not the New and Trending tag?

In Spain, it's as the 2nd in the New and Trending Tag of Steam. But it doesn't appear in the Top Selling chart.

Yes, I know the difference between the new and trending chart and the various top selling charts.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
New game coming but not just to Switch. It's coming to: Switch, PS4, PC, XB1, Mac, Linux, Dreamcast, Sega Megadrive, Sega Dreamcast & Neo Geo.

From the makers of Ninja Showdown & 88 Heroes.

Xeno Crisis by Bitmap Bureau (no release date)

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017

Nintendo Life, once famous for its coverage of indie titles, should feel ashamed of not having published a review for the most important indie release of 2019.

Since Thomas Whitehead abandoned his role as editor, the web has been in a serious decline.

Yeah, with this new approach they will get a lot of clicks and visits, because with the hard work of the previous team, they were able to built a recognizable brand. But in less than a year, they have completely lost its prestige and reputation.

It would be number one if we didn't like so much the sales in Spain.

I think it's getting good sales even if the coverage is very deficient.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Xeno Crisis running on the Sega Megadrive/Genesis.

This looks gorgeous, Bitmap Bureau are on of my favorite indie studios.

'Super House of the Dead Ninjas' is a roguleite platformer classic on par with 'Rogue Legacy', 'Spelunky' or 'Risk of Rain'. But sadly, not as well know among the general public because it never was ported to consoles.

And 'Ninja Shodown', which is like a mashup among 'Towerfall: Ascension' in its multiplayer mode and 'Super Crate Box' in its arcade mode, but using the same tight controls and balance of 'Super House of the Dead Ninjas', is among my favorite games on Switch.

'88 Heroes' was a big disappointment, because they tried to create a too ambitious idea that worked much better on paper, a story of a convoluted development that not ended very well.

I'm really eager to play 'Xeno Crisis', giving that this is a twin-stick shooter, and Bitmap Bureau are one of the most talented British studio creating arcade games, together with Infinite State.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

It's currently #12 in the US and #5 in my country. Clearly, the Baba developer will make profit. Very well deserved, IMO.

I agree with everything you say about the current state of Nintendo Life. During the Wii U days, they had very little to write about, but they still provided excellent content and lots of reviews. Now with the Switch, they have virtually endless things to write about, yet they only produce garbage and very few reviews.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
My Time at Portia is up on the eShop now. April 16th. (Australian page below)

uxjy5lt.png

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017

The thing that annoys me the most about NL is their use of the word "random" for a lot of their news stories which have absolutely no randomness involved whatsoever. I always mention this on Facebook and twitter comments, but I get ignored.

I know it's a really small thing to get worked up about, but it really annoys me!

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
It is my impression (based on nothing substantial really...) that while overall Indie games will do better on Switch these days, a successful indie on Steam (as in the Steam rankings you gave for Baba) will do better than on Switch (at least in the beginning), though on Switch it will still do well.
Then again I might be wrong.

werezompire

Zeboyd Games
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
It is my impression (based on nothing substantial really...) that while overall Indie games will do better on Switch these days, a successful indie on Steam (as in the Steam rankings you gave for Baba) will do better than on Switch (at least in the beginning), though on Switch it will still do well.
Then again I might be wrong.

I think that is sometimes the case (especially with early access titles and genres that cater to the PC demographic), however I believe Baba is You also got some promotion by Nintendo which would most likely push the balance in favor of Switch selling more.

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017

The Groose we have been waiting.

Edit: Oh, there is a thread for this video.
New game coming but not just to Switch. It's coming to: Switch, PS4, PC, XB1, Mac, Linux, Dreamcast, Sega Megadrive, Sega Dreamcast & Neo Geo.

From the makers of Ninja Showdown & 88 Heroes.

Xeno Crisis by Bitmap Bureau (no release date)

Looks really fun.

Last edited:

MrFarenheit

Prophet of Truth
Oct 27, 2017
Winnipeg, Canada
My time at Portia is up for pre-order on the eshop. $37.79 Canadian. Release date is April 16 and has a "housewarming gift" if you pre-order...Dang beaten to the punch

Last edited:

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The upcoming 'Rogue Bit' seems quite interesting.

It's a puzzle game based in programming learning problems, inspired in Zachtronics games in the vein of 'TIS-100' and 'Shenzhen I/O'.

And using a lovely ASCII artistic design.

TCr7zUk4k1vNxJ33vNZxtpwd-t-VdGMi.jpg

The reviews in Steam are 100% positive.

Indeed, this review alone has sold me the game:

This is a tremendously fun little game with a lot of spunk. It looks a bit like an old rogue-like, but is a short puzzle game. The conciet is that you are a 7th position bit (01000000) or @ in ascii, which can move around the memory of a computer by XORing into adjacent bytes. There's a neat little programming language that runs little scripts throughout the game, whose commands and arguments are one or two bytes. So by jumping into the bytes that store the programs, you can alter/hack them, and solve the game's puzzles.

Think of it as a bit of a hands-on walk through an old 8-bit CPU, from the inside. Almost as though you're mucking around with the internals of a NES.

If you love zacklikes, or human resouce machine then this is different, definitely worth a spin, particularly if you're looking to be eased into thinking about how programs and memory interface.

There's now a hex/binary/ascii/decimal table within the game and a link so that you can RTFM if, like me, the in-game reminders of how basic cpus work weren't quite detailed enough.

I really enjoyed it; highly recommend.