• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

sOba

Oct 28, 2017
Italy
I don't want to worry anyone but the Nintendo website now says "release date: TBD" for Baba Is You and no longer lists a price.

https://www.nintendo.co.uk/Games/Nintendo-Switch-download-software/Baba-Is-You-1423843.html

Hopefully this is just a glitch.
It might be because it's the 13th and since it hasn't been pushed out as "released" yet it might automatically switch to TBD but i'm just guessing honestly. Steam still has it for the 13th but it doesen't state when exactly (no timer countdown)

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
For Baba I think it would have to be an extremely recent decision to delay it if that's the case because the dev hasn't said anything and has been retweeting fanart for a giveaway he's doing tomorrow (or whenever it launches) up until just hours ago.

I'd be super annoyed because I literally just bought the eShop credit to buy it :/

Lizardus

Oct 25, 2017
lollll this is what i'm here for

It's a very very good port. One of the best looking 3D third-party games I've played on the Switch, and no real performance issues from what I've seen. It's got probably the biggest difference between handheld and docked modes of any game that I've seen, but it looks decent enough handheld, it's just much much nicer when docked. I haven't played the game on PC or anything but from what I can tell it just about is the full experience. It plays really well with the controller, just some of the situational controls (e.g. the grabby claw-crane on some of the trucks) take some getting used to. The biggest issue with the port from what I've played is the lack of analog acceleration, but most situations where you'd want it can be handled by using a lower gear.

It's a really cool and unique game and it's great and weird to be able to play it on a Nintendo console lol. There's a sort of absurd amount of content if you let yourself get really into it, but even just the challenge maps and two or three of the main maps (I think there's a ten or so in total) would be enough to feel like a pretty complete package to me.
All that being said, I think it's sort of a hard game to broadly recommend, since I'd imagine it's pretty hit-or-miss whether someone enjoys the actual gameplay at all.....

Seconding all of this regarding Spintires. It's a very good port but the game itself is not for everyone. It is literally about slowly driving your vehicle through muddy environments and making it to your destination in one place. There is a demo available for PC (I'm not sure how similar it is to the final game) so people can try it out themselves. https://www.gamepressure.com/download.asp?ID=45132

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK
It might be because it's the 13th and since it hasn't been pushed out as "released" yet it might automatically switch to TBD but i'm just guessing honestly. Steam still has it for the 13th but it doesen't state when exactly (no timer countdown)
For Baba I think it would have to be an extremely recent decision to delay it if that's the case because the dev hasn't said anything and has been retweeting fanart for a giveaway he's doing tomorrow (or whenever it launches) up until just hours ago.

I'd be super annoyed because I literally just bought the eShop credit to buy it :/
It still says 13th on the console eshop so I'm gonna go with what smartsoap said.

.exe

Oct 25, 2017

With regard to Steam, if it says the 13th, it's going to be 19.00 CET on that date in 99.99% of cases.

Any A Link to the Past/Secret of Mana - like titles to plunge myself into? I'm having the itch but not sure what I should buy....

Minit is by far the best one of those available now. It truly captures the spirit of Zelda. The rest pales in comparison. Next up is Ittle Dew 2+. Hyper Light Drifter is also often recommended but I personally feel like it's not quite the same thing.

Last edited:

hiredhand

Feb 6, 2019

It's a very very good port. One of the best looking 3D third-party games I've played on the Switch, and no real performance issues from what I've seen. It's got probably the biggest difference between handheld and docked modes of any game that I've seen, but it looks decent enough handheld, it's just much much nicer when docked. I haven't played the game on PC or anything but from what I can tell it just about is the full experience. It plays really well with the controller, just some of the situational controls (e.g. the grabby claw-crane on some of the trucks) take some getting used to. The biggest issue with the port from what I've played is the lack of analog acceleration, but most situations where you'd want it can be handled by using a lower gear.

It's a really cool and unique game and it's great and weird to be able to play it on a Nintendo console lol. There's a sort of absurd amount of content if you let yourself get really into it, but even just the challenge maps and two or three of the main maps (I think there's a ten or so in total) would be enough to feel like a pretty complete package to me.
All that being said, I think it's sort of a hard game to broadly recommend, since I'd imagine it's pretty hit-or-miss whether someone enjoys the actual gameplay at all.....
Thank for the impressions. Sounds good.

I know the game is not for everyone but I have been meaning to try one these simulation-type games and this seems to be relatively well-received. I was a bit worried about the port because a lot of these more demanding 3D indie titles seem to have quite bad ports on Switch.

If anyone else from the Nordic countries (or Europe in general) is interested in the game, it is currently on sale for 25 euros at CDON.

fourfourfun

Oct 27, 2017
England
Hyper Light Drifter is very much Dark Souls in spirit rather than Zelda. Rinse and repeat, learn to play better and manage your limited health/heal opportunities. It is great but won't scratch a Zelda itch.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
It looks like the thirst for Baba is real, that game is gonna sell big.

I don't know if I'm buying it or not because I suck at puzzle games, but I just know I'll end up getting fomo.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I mentioned before around Defense Grid 2's launch that I had a few issues with it that marred an otherwise great package and the update that was released today seems to address all of them. I'll need to play it to see if that's the case and whether anything else pops up, but this is big news for me.

How is this game? PixelJunk Monsters 2 scratched that tower defence itch but was really, really dragged down by the load times.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
I can't believe Vasara and Vasara 2 are coming, these two are legit good! forget about Visco's previous crapshmup, both games are the real deal and NEVER left JPN arcades afaik.

They are also adding a new endless mode with new gfx (honestly don't really care but awesome if it ends up good) and SLG is putting out a physical edition for those interested.

If Switch was blessed by Cave's output or even just M2's ST series (doubtful to say the least) it truly would became the ultimate STG console. I mean I'd pay $50 no problem to get Mushi and Mushi Futari on Switch.
I'd love to retire my Xbox 360 lol

Btw the announce trailer sucked so have some gameplay instead (no idea if this dude is decent but quality seems better than what is usually out there for these games)

How is this game? PixelJunk Monsters 2 scratched that tower defence itch but was really, really dragged down by the load times.

I thought the big patch fixed that (and a bunch of other things)?
I was waiting on sale to grab it because after initially being super cold on it, I gave a real chance to the demo and loved it.
But awful load times can utterly ruin a game for me

Last edited:

Heropon_

Oct 31, 2017
gjatddi.png

Baba is Soon.
6 hours and 38 minutes from now.

Last edited:

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
IMO, nothing is more masculine than a grown-ass adult male rocking a cute plushie and giving zero fucks what anyone thinks. Go for it.
Just what I needed to hear to justify importing like €80 worth of display only soft toys from fangamer... to a growing collection :D

I'm really surprised at the hype around Baba Is You. I wasn't hugely impressed at the trailer and it didn't seem much of a stand out title.

I'm eager to see wider impressions from the community on the game!

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I can't believe Vasara and Vasara 2 are coming, these two are legit good! forget about Visco's previous crapshmup, both games are the real deal and NEVER left JPN arcades afaik.

They are also adding a new endless mode with new gfx (honestly don't really care but awesome if it ends up good) and SLG is putting out a physical edition for those interested.

If Switch was blessed by Cave's output or even just M2's ST series (doubtful to say the least) it truly would became the ultimate STG console. I mean I'd pay $50 no problem to get Mushi and Mushi Futari on Switch.
I'd love to retire my Xbox 360 lol

Btw the announce trailer sucked so have some gameplay instead (no idea if this dude is decent but quality seems better than what is usually out there for these games)

I thought the big patch fixed that (and a bunch of other things)?
I was waiting on sale to grab it because after initially being super cold on it, I gave a real chance to the demo and loved it.
But awful load times can utterly ruin a game for me

Oh looks like there was a patch in December? I haven't played it since then, I'll have to give it a go. It was a 90 second load time previously to get into a level.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Aren't Epilexia Spanish? That is a spanish site. Maybe it's Epilexia's review ;)

For real I've been onboard with Baba so not really surpriced with the acclaim.

I'm reading it more carefully and maybe you aren't wrong. Sometimes it reads like an Epilexia post, besides he had a review copy. Baba Is Conspiracy.

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018

Thanks for this, I'll pick this up one time or another.

Have you tried the online part? Looks very interesting, but I assume that part isn't very active any more (crossplay is probably out of the question).

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Not sure if it has been noted but Yume Nikki: Dream Diary has been removed for purchase from the US eShop:

sOiMP4e.jpg

Last edited:

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Is Turok coming out worldwide this week? It's not in the coming soon section on the aussie eshop.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Nope, I'm not Víctor Martínez, the author of the review in Anait Games.

But for those who don't know the Spanish media, he is one of the most respected video game critics in my country, and Anait was pretty big in the past.

It's not a random review from a random guy in a random web.

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Has The Behemouth even mentioned considering porting games to Switch? I would love me some portable Castle Crashers!

Megasoum

Oct 25, 2017
So is it me that is blind or I just can't find a search function anywhere on the eShop web store?

I see filters for a bunch of stuff but not an actual search bar

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
Damn, I am playing that Game Jam version of Baba as You and it's reaalllly good. Such a simple premise but really mind bending.

Needham

Oct 25, 2017
So is it me that is blind or I just can't find a search function anywhere on the eShop web store?

I see filters for a bunch of stuff but not an actual search bar
What region? Canada doesn't have a search bar for some reason, so I always use the American site. Other regions are probably the same.

eltercero

Feb 3, 2018
Madrid
Nope, I'm not Víctor Martínez, the author of the review in Anait Games.

But for those who don't know the Spanish media, he is one of the most respected video game critics in my country, and Anait was pretty big in the past.

It's not a random review from a random guy in a random web.

Yeah, Víctor is the best game critic in Spain (at least for me)

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how popular Baba is You is in this thread, yet I haven't heard a peep about it anywhere else. Sounds intriguing, but I tend to get frustrated with puzzle games after awhile so I'm not completely sold. Maybe I'll try the game jam version.

jefjay

Oct 25, 2017
It's weird how popular Baba is You is in this thread, yet I haven't heard a peep about it anywhere else. Sounds intriguing, but I tend to get frustrated with puzzle games after awhile so I'm not completely sold. Maybe I'll try the game jam version.
Games not released on PS4 don't get quite the same level of hype as others around here...

As intriguing as this looks, I have similar concerns. Stephen's Sausage Roll comes to mind. Brilliant game. Too brilliant... but I'll probably give Baba a go.