• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

jakoo

Oct 27, 2017
It's weird how popular Baba is You is in this thread, yet I haven't heard a peep about it anywhere else. Sounds intriguing, but I tend to get frustrated with puzzle games after awhile so I'm not completely sold. Maybe I'll try the game jam version.

I just finished it at work in about a half hour and it converted me into a buyer when it drops tonight.

It has the "vibe" of a Newgrounds-era flash game that I would have lost a lot of time in as a kid, but seems a lot more intelligent in terms of what the games systems mechanics can accomplish.

I can definitely see why Nintendo gave it time in a direct, because it's very Nintendo-esque in how it scales difficulty and silently teaches you new concepts while you play. I am very impressed.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
It's weird how popular Baba is You is in this thread, yet I haven't heard a peep about it anywhere else. Sounds intriguing, but I tend to get frustrated with puzzle games after awhile so I'm not completely sold. Maybe I'll try the game jam version.

The game is very generous in adapting itself to different player skills.

Inside each world, there is always various paths opened, in a way in which the harder levels can be skipped.

The requirements to unlock worlds are very affordable.

And normally, you will be in a scenario with different worlds unlocked at the same time, every one with different paths opened.

There are some devilish and tricky levels that have taken me more than 2 hours to complete.

And for those completionists, it's a game that can easily enter in the 80 to 100 hours mark if you want to complete all the levels without using guides.

But at the same time, there is always a set of simple levels in each world intended for casual players, so nobody will get frustrated.

And even these "simple levels" are incredibly satisfactory to complete, because they will always require a smart solution or thinking outside of the box.

Other amazing thing is that a lot of puzzle games tend to expand their length through repetition: taken a previously developed idea, and then increasing the complexity with more elements or blocks.

But not 'Baba Is You': almost every level feels completely new, and each world develops its own gimmicks.

Other interesting thing, giving its layout based in 'Sokoban' is that even in the harder levels, the game never abuses of too much elements or boxes.

It's not a game that tries to rise the difficulty bar by forcing you to move in a closed layout, in which every single movement has been scripted and if you try to deviate from this fixed path, you're done, like in every 'Sokoban' game in the past.

The solution or the difficulty are always relying in how to exploit the logic inside the game.

And every level normally has various solutions.

There are even ultra-harder versions of some levels, in which an additional element is included for preventing you from use the "easy" solution, trying to deduce the hard one.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
https://www.polygon.com/reviews/2019/3/13/18263824/baba-is-you-review-nintendo-switch-pc

Qf2osYn.jpg

5p4qph4.jpg

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
If you don't agree with Capcom's RE prices I urge you guys to click a "meh" broken heart 💔 (you can change it if you already liked it) on the Channel News about the titles being able to be preordered. I know for a fact they are checking those ratios, won't do anything but it's... something? I mean, it requires zero effort.
Can't believe I won't get these games day1, would have never expected that

BizzyBum

Oct 26, 2017
New York
Just finished GRIS. Wonderful game. I think this was universally praised so I don't have to say much to get people to buy it, but if you haven't yet then get on that.

edit: and the recent free update that added unused music in the extras section is freaking awesome. This game's soundtrack is super top tier.

Last edited:
Oct 27, 2017
NYC
For the dozens of you folks looking forward to Super Real Mahjong PV releasing on the Japanese eShop on March 14th, Famitsu is saying that it's been censored by rays of white light. Well, actually Hachimaki was the site that made the big fuss about the Famitsu article and drew my attention to it.

Long story short, it's not going to be the same as the original Sega Saturn age-restricted release.

https://www.famitsu.com/news/201903/12173126.html (Japanese article - copy and paste the link if it doesn't load)

I like mahjong & never heard of this series- thanks for posting about it!

Mr_Bubbles

Jan 28, 2018
If you don't agree with Capcom's RE prices I urge you guys to click a "meh" broken heart 💔 (you can change it if you already liked it) on the Channel News about the titles being able to be preordered. I know for a fact they are checking those ratios, won't do anything but it's... something? I mean, it requires zero effort.
Can't believe I won't get these games day1, would have never expected that
Haha, I already did that. Nice 'nd passive aggressive.

Just finished GRIS. Wonderful game. I think this was universally praised so I don't have to say much to get people to buy it, but if you haven't yet then get on that.

edit: and the recent free update that added unused music in the extras section is freaking awesome. This game's soundtrack is super top tier.
Yeah, it's a beautiful art game. I love it as well.

People expecting high octane arcade action button mashing should stay away from it and choose something else though.

Apparently the game is highly toxic, 'farts' included ;)

Last edited:

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Having a difficult time juggling a daily fix of Trials, Android Cactus, Horizon Chase Turbo (this game has still problems but I really enjoy it and it came a long way from when it first came out on iOS) and Diablo III. I'm addicted to Diablo and it's taking over everything else :(

I know I'm waiting for that and the demo. If the demo is really good then I might not wait for the discount even.

Yep same. Demo is coming tomorrow

Edit: beaten by my dear friend Nabbit :P

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Oh hey, Monster Boy demo hitting tomorrow. Wouldn't mind trying it after hearing good things about the first remake/reboot.

Meanwhile, I sure could go for a new Picross game. Feels like in a few more months, S3 should be announced/confirmed since S was Sept. 2017 & S2 was August 2018.

zoodoo

Oct 26, 2017
Montreal
I haven't opened the eshop since last year so today i found myself swimming in a sea of shovelware. it's getting harder to find something worthwhile. good thing there is a wish list.

By the way, Turok and Dragon's Dogma are coming to switch??? News to me.

I see switch tax is still a thing and Capcom and Square are applying it

HotHamBoy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I haven't opened the eshop since last year so today i found myself swimming in a sea of shovelware. it's getting harder to find something worthwhile. good thing there is a wish list.

What did Square apply it to?

Plainsong

Oct 28, 2017
United Kingdom
Baba is not available yet on the UK eShop still showing as TBD. You guys have convinced me that I need it. Will check again tomorrow.

Edit - it is actually there on the front page saying available now but when I click it says not. Oh well then I guess it is imminent at least.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017

You could use the best sellers lists (and filter it for non-retail), which should give you some idea what people have bought the most during the past 2 weeks. Or on the NoE eShop, you can try the recommendation feature. Or you can browse by genres, which will list the most popular games first.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

just check the OP of this thread every month and you'll have a list with links and pictures to the hot-ticket items of the past month.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like it could be pretty neat. I am getting tired of these retro graphics games, though. Shit is starting to come off as lazy.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017

Looks like it could be pretty neat. I am getting tired of these retro graphics games, though. Shit is starting to come off as lazy.

I would never call it lazy, uninspiring maybe but lazy? That shit takes a lot of work.

Fortunately that Atomicrops has a neat art style.

I find the retro look tiresome because it is becoming over done and over saturated. I get why a lot of indie devs do it but I think I would like to see more variety. I really like the low poly flat looks of Aer and Ashen and wish more games would go that route if it makes sense

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
What problems?
It's on my wishlist and I am very interested

As I've said I really enjoy the game and I recommend it if you're into the genre.

It does a few things wrong tho and since you're asking, here's my two cents:

every race begins with a standing start where you're at the bottom of the grid but the game has a boost mechanic a la Mario Kart which is fine at first but the more powerful cars you get and the more it becomes counterproductive to boost, given how the game handles bumping into rival cars.

It focuses on having a race vs rivals instead of a Outrun-like time attack racer where the cars and trucks are pure obstacles, just traffic to avoid to make it on time to the end.

Given how braindead the AI cars are, I don't think it was a smart decision to focus on them so much and there's just too many; progressing into the latest Cups the AI will make you rage more and more and it's not rare that they're unavoidable when you're given upgraded super cars to drive. It gets annoying.

The game looks good and is super smooth... until you hot the last couple of cups where the framerate gets shitty especially when there's rain involved.

Despite these (minor and not so minor) annoyances, I really like Horizon Chase Turbo.

I'm waiting for you at Trials' leaderboards…

Lol you're damn right! I'll be back soon and it'll be hell muahahahahahah evilmrBison.gif

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
How's Wargroove if I suck at Fire Emblem?

It's quite different, with disposable units instead of unique ones with permadeath, for instance.

The default difficulty is reasonably challenging (mostly just to S-rank maps, not merely beating them), but it's also fully customizable if you want to lower it.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Oh and Messenger. I got fifty bucks to burn so I thought of picking up that and Wargroove.

If I got two of Teslagrad, Messenger and Wargroove which should I get?

It's quite different, with disposable units instead of unique ones with permadeath, for instance.

The default difficulty is reasonably challenging (mostly just to S-rank maps, not merely beating them), but it's also fully customizable if you want to lower it.

Am I locked out of anything if I lower the difficulty?

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Aight guess I just impulse bought Messenger.

Last edited:

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Am I locked out of anything if I lower the difficulty?

Nothing is permanently missable; you can replay any mission at any time, and difficulty is always adjustable.

To get access to certain things, you need to earn at least 100 rating stars (151 for some joke content). Each mission can give up to 3 stars for A or S rank (2 for B; 1 for C), and there are ways to earn stars outside of campaign as well.

For campaign missions, rank is determined solely by how many turns you completed a mission in. You can only S rank maps on Hard difficulty, but S rank is purely aesthetic. You can still A rank (so 3 stars) on Normal difficulty, but Easy is locked to B rank maximum (2 stars), and Story is locked to C rank.

Campaign Mode has 99 total stars, Arcade Mode 75, Puzzle Mode 25. So there's plenty even if you play on Easy.

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Baba is You is..... very very good. My concern ever since I first saw the game was that the concept would be amusing and be used in entertaining ways but that the puzzle design wouldn't be all that tight, but that's definitely not the case. I played through the first two worlds tonight and really, really loved it. Some of the puzzles even this early are seriously clever, and half the time you're left feeling like 'no way was that the intended solution' even if it most likely was.
The openness of the levels, which I thought might be an issue, actually is really well-crafted and make it so you spend more time thinking about how to actually solve the puzzle rather than worrying about sokoban-style block maneuvering (although you can still get yourself stuck by making blocks inaccessible).
And some of it has been very, very tricky. When I finally cracked the first bonus level I thought I would be unstoppable and would breeze through everything after, but instead I got stumped by the bonus level immediately after for a good twenty minutes before I just moved on lol.

Thoughtful, interesting puzzle games tend to suck me in like nothing else, and it seems like there's a whole lot here, so I'm very excited to play more.

Colloco

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
florida
Well, I bite the bullet with 'Valley' on Switch, that was a game recommended to me by a lot of friends.

I need to say that after playing the Switch ports of 'Android Assault Cactus+' and 'Valley', I'm really impressed with the level of optimization that has reached Unity on the console.

All of that said, contrary to 'Assault Android Cactus+', 'Valley' is downgraded respect to other versions, nothing surprising because in PC, this was one of the most graphical demanding and ambitious Unity games.

The resolution in portable mode seems in the 540p/600p mark, and some objects in the long distance are using low detailed models.

MLtRvXM.jpg

But even with this, this 'Valley' port results impressive, and a technical achievement in the things that is trying to do.

Because it perfectly catches the "feeling" of the original game. There are a lot of advanced effects like particles, motion blur to distort your vision, illumination effects... that have been retained.

hAmk562.jpg

At the end, the important thing is that it results in an immersive experience, and nothing looks so bad or graphically downgraded as to breaking the immersion.

It should be noted that this is a parkour game, in which you will be running through vast extensions, making impossible jumps and with gigantic maps.

6tooLGW.jpg

The initial loading screen is lengthy, but once you are into the game, it's a delight to see how you can run through these vast scenarios and the game retains its 30 FPS target most of the time. There are slight frame drops here and there, but they are very rare. And even when the framerate can drop for less than a second, it's still very close to the 30 FPS locked target.

If you have a powerful PC rig, this will be always the best way of experiencing the game.

But giving that this is a game made in Unity and not in a custom engine, and giving the specs of the Switch, there is some impressive engineering work in this version.

'Valley' pushes the limit of Unity on Switch, to make the best possible version achievable on the console.

I haven't tested the game in docked mode, and honestly, I don't mind.

When I decide to buy a game on Switch over other versions, is because I want to play this in portable mode.
Just finished my playthrough on switch, i fucking loved this game.