• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Oct 26, 2017

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Baba is Legit!

What the hell? The first has a lot of problems that need to be addressed, was hoping they'd do that before moving on to a sequel.

Get it. It's good (not flawless but good) and the devs deserve the support.
The latest patch fixed up a lot but I was kind of in the same boat.

Granted at some point it just makes more sense to take those changes and fixes and put the effort in to a new game to get paid for that work. The definitely released the first too soon

Refyref

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Elevator Action! Hooray!
Now we just have to wait a decade or so until Hamster finally starts releasing standard arcade games under 30 years old for a possibility of a digital re-release of Elevator Action Returns.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Dang thats why I primarily buy games on the web store. It won't download and you can take time to make space later.

Granted dude you've had like to weeks to make space.

I do wish Nintendo wouldnt force you to have space to buy something on the in console eshop
But they don't. It starts downloading, then fails. You can just then delete or archive.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
But they don't. It starts downloading, then fails. You can just then delete or archive.
I just did it with Starlink though. I didn't have enough space so it didn't install. I had it physically previously and usually it just updates the install but I was short on space.

So Yeah i had to delete the install and then just redownload it from the eshop when I had space

In their case and any case you can still buy the game on the webstore regardless of system space. Then you either have to delete and reinstall it when you have space or make enough space and initalize the install.

Eitherway the webstore won't prevent the purchase like the eshop does. So they would have had the game on the sale price via the web store. Then they could eventually clear out the fridge and 'redownload' the game.

Still an inelegant solution.

Edit/ I just reread your post and think i misread it earlier, are you saying the eshop doesnt prevent a download/purchase? Well that seems new because it used to.

So it works like the webstore does then.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Elevator Action! Hooray!
Now we just have to wait a decade or so until Hamster finally starts releasing standard arcade games under 30 years old for a possibility of a digital re-release of Elevator Action Returns.

I also wish Hamster would take a break from the endless Neo Geo releases on Switch and have more parity with their ACA releases on other systems like arcade Bubble Bobble which is still only on PS4, I have the PS4 version but am dying to have any kind of Bubble Bobble on my Switch. They were also supposed to release R-TYPE and Image Fight which were on their future release list many months ago.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I just did it with Starlink though. I didn't have enough space so it didn't install. I had it physically previously and usually it just updates the install but I was short on space.

So Yeah i had to delete the install and then just redownload it from the eshop when I had space

In their case and any case you can still buy the game on the webstore regardless of system space. Then you either have to delete and reinstall it when you have space or make enough space and initalize the install.

Eitherway the webstore won't prevent the purchase like the eshop does.
Well that's odd. Just a couple of weeks ago, I bought FFVII, IX and WoFF without space, and the icons appeared on the home screen with the little X at the bottom to show the error. I just selected selected archive and all was good.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Turok supports gyro aim!

Rejoice!
D1onjmBWsAA18uM.jpg

http://www.nintendolife.com/reviews/switch-eshop/turok

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

Eitherway the webstore won't prevent the purchase like the eshop does. So they would have had the game on the sale price via the web store. Then they could eventually clear out the fridge and 'redownload' the game.

Still an inelegant solution.

Edit/ I just reread your post and think i misread it earlier, are you saying the eshop doesnt prevent a download/purchase? Well that seems new because it used to.

So it works like the webstore does then.

I don't think it ever has prevented purchase. Not 100% sure though.

Oct 26, 2017
The latest patch fixed up a lot but I was kind of in the same boat.

Granted at some point it just makes more sense to take those changes and fixes and put the effort in to a new game to get paid for that work. The definitely released the first too soon
Yeah I guess it's ultimately a business decision. Similar thing happened with NBA Playgrounds.

Biggest surprises:

Crush Your Enemies, great small scale RTS, finished it 100%
My man! Thought I was the only one on era championing this little gem!

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
It's not difficult to get the hang of. It plays like most any space-combat game, only throwing you into a series of randomly generated levels with various enemies, resources, and sidequests.

One run is basically a trip through 7 sectors, each consisting of 5 or 6 levels, except 7, which is only one, and always the same location. Upon exiting each level, you're shown a map of the sector with icons showing the difficulty of particular areas, and which sidequests can be advanced from which areas, so you can somewhat select the path you take through each sector.

You lose everything upon death except for the money you earned from that run, which you then spend on permanent perks (upgrades) for your pilot and ship. There are four ships to choose from, and they each play differently. I found the starter ship to be best overall, but the DLC ship (well, it was a DLC ship originally but is included in the Switch version by default) is solid as well.

It takes a few runs to get to a point where you start being formidable. There are plenty of different weapons and tools so you shouldn't have an issue finding something to suit your play style. You will die a whole bunch of times, but the upgrades pile up over time to make things easier. At the start of each run, you select one of three difficulties (easy nets you -25% money, but I still recommend starting there because it won't make a difference once you put enough cash into loot upgrades).

Also, it's not just first-person. The cockpit view is one of several camera options.
Does Everspace have gyro aim/camera adjustment? Don't know if I can play it solely with the right stick.
Tiny Metal sequel coming to Switch in Spring 2019. Seems to be an exclusive?
What the hell? The first has a lot of problems that need to be addressed, was hoping they'd do that before moving on to a sequel.
Yeah, given the lukewarm reception the game received, I'm surprised there's a sequel at all.
Elevator Action! Hooray!
Out of left field for me. Seriously tempted...

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Someone mentioned CAVE earlier when talking about shmups, what's up with them, are they not going to release anything for the switch? It still ticks me off a bit that they never bothered to "fix" their ios games to work with the current ios versions.

Cave can be infuriatingly inept and inconsistent business wise. You're talking about a company where one of their reps once dismissively said in an interview years ago 'If you want to play our games then come to Japan' to releasing their entire modern library on 360 and now only on Steam. I've politely bugged Degica several times on Twitter about looking into releasing Cave shmups on Switch and they recently replied basically 'we *might* release more shmups on Switch someday but have you checked out Rival Megagun?' Really vague and non commital obviously but fair enough so we'll see. Until then one's main options for playing the majority of Cave's shmups outside of emulation or PCB collecting are 360, Steam or previously purchased titles on an IOS device not updated to the latest firmware (which is why I don't buy games on the App Store anymore).

Edit: M2's ShotTriggers releases on PS4 of older Cave shmups like Ketsui and Dangun Feveron are great, highly recommend those, they also will be porting the original EspRaDe to PS4.

Anyways, what I wouldn't give to be able to play the DoDonPachi games and Mushihimesama 1&2 on my Switch + Flip Grip, please let it happen.

Last edited:

yungronny

Banned
Nov 27, 2017
Any solid multiplayer games released on Switch within the past few months? Co-op or otherwise. As a group we've had a ton of fun with Towerfall and Bomberman. Crawl too.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
Cave can be infuriatingly inept and inconsistent business wise. You're talking about a company where one of their reps once dismissively said in an interview years ago 'If you want to play our games then come to Japan' to releasing their entire modern library on 360 and now only on Steam. I've politely bugged Degica several times on Twitter about looking into releasing Cave shmups on Switch and they recently replied basically 'we *might* release more shmups on Switch someday but have you checked out Rival Megagun?' Really vague and non commital obviously but fair enough so we'll see. Until then one's main options for playing the majority of Cave's shmups outside of emulation or PCB collecting are 360, Steam or previously purchased titles on an IOS device not updated to the latest firmware (which is why I don't buy games on the App Store anymore).

Edit: M2's ShotTriggers releases on PS4 of older Cave shmups like Ketsui and Dangun Feveron are great, highly recommend those, they also will be porting the original EspRaDe to PS4.

Anyways, what I wouldn't give to be able to play the DoDonPachi games and Mushihimesama 1&2 on my Switch + Flip Grip, please let it happen.
Every once in a while I'll be reminded that my Cave shooters can't be played on my iOS devices anymore. Pisses me off so much. :(

On a more positive note, I did order Ketsui physical for PS4 the other day. I've never played it before outside of the DS Death Label version, so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot! Can't seem to pull the trigger on Feveron... I like that game (especially the music), but I don't remember particularly enjoying the gameplay.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
How were the controls on switch? I have it on xbox and I am thinking I need to turn the sensitivity on the sticks way down. In some early dog fights I really found it hard to keep enemies in sight and keep moving. I felt like the movements were a little over sensitive. That may just get better with more upgrades or trying cockpit view though.
Fine for the most part. There are 4 control schemes, though they only swap around the movement, aiming and boost/lock-on controls between the two analog sticks. Unfortunately there wasn't one that fit my exact preference. Boost and lock-on are accomplished by clicking the appropriate analog stick, but in the case of boost (which you'll be using quite a lot), you have to click + hold, and I found that a bit annoying, as sometimes the boost will stop unexpectedly and then you find your thumb has drifted a bit and released pressure on the stick. I can say it's the first game in years that has made my hand sore from playing so much.
Does Everspace have gyro aim/camera adjustment? Don't know if I can play it solely with the right stick
The movement controls are split between the two sticks. By default, left stick controls vertical and horizontal movement, and the right stick controls aim (click it for lock-on). Regular engine is activated by holding LB and boost is accomplished by clicking and holding the left stick.

No gyro aiming unfortunately.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017
Every once in a while I'll be reminded that my Cave shooters can't be played on my iOS devices anymore. Pisses me off so much. :(

On a more positive note, I did order Ketsui physical for PS4 the other day. I've never played it before outside of the DS Death Label version, so I'm looking forward to giving it a shot! Can't seem to pull the trigger on Feveron... I like that game (especially the music), but I don't remember particularly enjoying the gameplay.

I got the physical edition of Ketsui PS4 is December, it's awesome, perfect port unlike the PS3 version. Dangun Feveron isn't my fave either but I like it as a more laid back, non bullet hell Cave game. That said the fact it's digital only and runs about $40 IIRC is a huge turn off for most folks but I just can't resist a Cave console port especially when it's by M2 so I bit the bullet. I'd like to get Ketsui Death Label DS someday if just for the novelty. Kinda weird Arika would bother to port a bush rush to DS when they could have ported something less intense like one of the older DDP games. Glad I kept my IPhone 5C as my podcast burner device because it's also the only way I'll get to keep and play my Cave mobile ports and older games like Pac 'n Jump and Bubble Bobble Double.

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017

What hurts is that they weren't exactly cheap for ios games either (well, at least not when I bought them). And I gladly paid it, it just sucks to have the system you're playing on update and then not be able to play the games at all anymore.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
A Castle Crashers Switch port would be the first Behemoth game on a Nintendo platform since GBA, if true.

Alien Hominid next, please. :)

It seems that The Behemoth had some type of exclusivity arrangement with Microsoft, giving that 'BattleBlock Theater' was never released on PS3 or PS4 and 'Pit People' remained as a Xbox One exclusive console release.

There is no need of being a fortune-teller to see that Microsoft is not longer interested in maintaining these indie exclusives locked on its ecosystem.

And not because the rumors suggesting that 'Ori and the Blind Forest' is coming to Switch, something that is easy to predict seeing the precedents.

Games such as 'Ms. Splosion Man' and 'Mark of the Ninja', originally other two Microsoft indie console exclusives, releasing on Switch in 2018.

And that started before than that with the port of 'Max: The Curse of Brotherhood', a game funded by Microsoft, to PS4 and Switch.

Or the announcement of 'Super Lucky's Tale' for Switch.

Last edited:

Youabra

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Spain
Finally got World of Final Fantasy after I realised that 50% off is the best deal I'll ever get (see Curtain Call) and man, the people behind the spanish subs clearly went with a 'fuck it' attitude.
There's a part in which the joke is that one of the character heard 'steak' and kept asking about it in the english dub, while the spanish subs just go with a quick wind joke. There's even a moment in which they start mentioning different types of eggs and the subs are like 'Oh yeah, I should continue'

Don't try to hide those puns from me, spanish SE. It would be a great miss steak to do it.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
I had money saved for Baba is You, but having rage quit Tales of Vesperia, I'm really tempted to grab Caligula Effect instead.

Dammit.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Can someone help me remember the names of a couple indie games that I believe are coming to Switch? They're published by the same company I think. One of them is a metroidvania but looks more inspired by Maze of Galious or La-Mulana than Metroid due to its puzzle focus and ruins exploration theme, IIRC. Another has a more Euro PC retro look where you play as a knight who I think is a monochromatic gold sprite.

Last edited:

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Caligula Effect isnt good though
Depends who you listen to. :)
Can someone help me remember the names of a couple indie games that I believe are coming to Switch? They're published by the same company I think. One of them is a metroidvania but looks more inspired by Maze of Galious or La-Mulana than Metroid. Another has a more Euro PC retro look where you play as a knight who I think is a monochromatic gold sprite.
Oniken and Odallus the Dark Call?

Magicmilner

Alt account
Banned
Jan 7, 2019
Looking forward to PAX East and seeing what's in store for Switch, i'm expecting lots of announcements for Switch seeing how popular indies are on the platform!

Hoping What the Golf, Hotline Miami Collection and Spelunky get announced!

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
It seems that The Behemoth had some type of exclusivity arrangement with Microsoft, giving that 'BattleBlock Theater' was never released on PS3 or PS4 and 'Pit People' remained as a Xbox One exclusive console release.

There is no need of being a fortune-teller to see that Microsoft is not longer interested in maintaining these indie exclusives locked on its ecosystem.

And not because the rumors suggesting that 'Ori and the Blind Forest' is coming to Switch, something that is easy to predict seeing the precedents.

Games such as 'Ms. Splosion Man' and 'Mark of the Ninja', originally other two Microsoft indie console exclusives, releasing on Switch in 2018.

And that started before than that with the port of 'Max: The Curse of Brotherhood', a game funded by Microsoft, to PS4 and Switch.

Or the announcement of 'Super Lucky's Tale' for Switch.
I would love them to port Pit People to switch

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
I can't believe I'm having so much trouble finding those two games. I swear I bookmarked them. Can anyone think of any La-Mulana-looking games that are upcoming? It really reminded me of LM.
Looking forward to PAX East and seeing what's in store for Switch, i'm expecting lots of announcements for Switch seeing how popular indies are on the platform!

Hoping What the Golf, Hotline Miami Collection and Spelunky get announced!
If we got Spelunky and FTL on Switch it would really be roguelite heaven. Spelunky 2 is one of my most hyped games right now and I hope it comes to Switch at some point.

Last edited: