• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Primate Ryan

Oct 27, 2017
It's funny how many games only appear in your news feed after you've bought them.

Game x out now!

No shit, I just bought it.

Bought three puzzle games yesterday. Baby is You, Golf Peaks and Hook. Baba is You is obviously the star of the three and absolutely splendid. Truly amazing.

Golf peaks and Hook are both okay ports. Nothing too special, but fun time wasters for an hour or two, which is reflected in their respective prices.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Baba is hard

I already had to skip a couple of puzzles.

By the way, why wouldn't they use the same font in the game for the title? I think the icon would look much better than with the current title font.

ghoulie

Oct 28, 2017
It's funny how many games only appear in your news feed after you've bought them.

Game x out now!

No shit, I just bought it.

Bought three puzzle games yesterday. Baby is You, Golf Peaks and Hook. Baba is You is obviously the star of the three and absolutely splendid. Truly amazing.

Golf peaks and Hook are both okay ports. Nothing too special, but fun time wasters for an hour or two, which is reflected in their respective prices.
It's because when you buy a game on the eshop, you're automatically subbed to that game's news feed

mrchad

Oct 27, 2017
Cities Skylines is on sale in the US eShop for $26.79 (down from $39.99). Any thoughts? I've heard it has a bit of slowdown but it's otherwise a decent port.

Vivian-Pogo

Jan 9, 2018
Can someone help me remember the names of a couple indie games that I believe are coming to Switch? They're published by the same company I think. One of them is a metroidvania but looks more inspired by Maze of Galious or La-Mulana than Metroid due to its puzzle focus and ruins exploration theme, IIRC. Another has a more Euro PC retro look where you play as a knight who I think is a monochromatic gold sprite.

No clue on the first game, but as far as monochromatic gold knights in indie games coming to Switch, there's Fight Knight.

Fight%20Knight.jpg

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
No clue on the first game, but as far as monochromatic gold knights in indie games coming to Switch, there's Fight Knight.

Fight%20Knight.jpg
That is not it but I did totally forget about Fight Knight, so thanks for the reminder. It looks good. The knight game I'm thinking of is a side scroller and looks halfway between a ZX Spectrum game and an NES game.

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can't believe I slept on Steamworld Heist for so long. It's so good.

Never mind it's procedurally generated and I hate it now.

Last edited:

Plum

May 31, 2018
valley-cover.cover_300x.jpg

Decided to buy Valley on a whim due to remembering it from a glowing ACG review ages ago. I've got good news and bad news.

The bad news is that it runs like utter ass. Dips into the 20s are commonplace and often-times it seems like it's dipped even lower. There's no framerate lock eitherl so it's never 'smooth' even if the framerate is able to keep itself around/above 30fps. There's also very obvious LoD transitions (the ground literally moves beneath your feet) which makes some scenes look really strange.

The good news is that the game itself is actually quite good. It's essentially a first-person parkour/platformer with a heavy dose of exploration and a tiny bit of action, but what sets it apart from others of its ilk is that you have to balance your own energy needs and the needs of the titular Valley. You can take life away from trees, animals, etc to use your various moves (double jump, attack, grappling hook, etc) but you also need to give life back to the Valley as, if the Valley's life goes down to zero, you have to restart that level (the Valley's health goes down every time you die as well). Compared to your typical exploration-based game there's a lot to like here in terms of gameplay and it has a story that, although told in a cliche manner, is still quite intriguing.

If you look past the bad framerate then there's a really quite enjoyable game here, especially for £10.

Last edited:

Bastion

Oct 27, 2017

Decided to buy Valley on a whim due to remembering it from a glowing ACG review ages ago. I've got good news and bad news.

The bad news is that it runs like utter ass. Dips into the 20s are commonplace and often-times it seems like it's dipped even lower. There's no framerate lock eitherl so it's never 'smooth' even if the framerate is able to keep itself around/above 30fps. There's also very obvious LoD transitions (the ground literally moves beneath your feet) which makes some scenes look really strange.

The good news is that the game itself is actually quite good. It's essentially a first-person parkour/platformer with a heavy dose of exploration and a tiny bit of action, but what sets it apart from others of its ilk is that you have to balance your own energy needs and the needs of the titular Valley. You can take life away from trees, animals, etc to use your various moves (double jump, attack, etc) but you also need to give life back to the Valley as, if the Valley's life goes down to zero, you have to restart that level (the Valley's health goes down every time you die as well). Compared to your typical exploration-based game there's a lot to like here in terms of gameplay and it has a story that, although told in a cliche manner, is still intriguing.

I just beat this game and didn't notice any frame rate issues playing in handheld mode. Then again, frame rate has never bothered me. Awesome game!

Plum

May 31, 2018
I just beat this game and didn't notice any frame rate issues playing in handheld mode. Then again, frame rate has never bothered me. Awesome game!

Yeah, it seems that it's docked mode that gets the brunt of the framerate issues. I'm highly susceptible to framerate drops and the like and I can definitely tell that handheld mode is a lot better than docked in that regard.

Also, how long is the game approximately? I'm just going up in the elevator after getting the grappling hook.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Cave can be infuriatingly inept and inconsistent business wise. You're talking about a company where one of their reps once dismissively said in an interview years ago 'If you want to play our games then come to Japan' to releasing their entire modern library on 360 and now only on Steam. I've politely bugged Degica several times on Twitter about looking into releasing Cave shmups on Switch and they recently replied basically 'we *might* release more shmups on Switch someday but have you checked out Rival Megagun?' Really vague and non commital obviously but fair enough so we'll see. Until then one's main options for playing the majority of Cave's shmups outside of emulation or PCB collecting are 360, Steam or previously purchased titles on an IOS device not updated to the latest firmware (which is why I don't buy games on the App Store anymore).

Edit: M2's ShotTriggers releases on PS4 of older Cave shmups like Ketsui and Dangun Feveron are great, highly recommend those, they also will be porting the original EspRaDe to PS4.

Anyways, what I wouldn't give to be able to play the DoDonPachi games and Mushihimesama 1&2 on my Switch + Flip Grip, please let it happen.

Cave Co Ltd games on Switch ain't gonna happen, man. The simple fact that they've let about 10 of their iOS shooters slip away and die by not updating them for iOS 11 (we're on iOS 12 btw) shows to me that they're not gonna do anything Switch related anytime soon.

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
Woohoo, I found them. Here was the person's quote from an old eShop thread:
OMG, I was just browsing Dangen's site and it turns out Astalon is confirmed for Switch! YES! I hope Matt Kapp can also bring Castle in the Darkness to Switch at some point too, either through Dangen or original publisher Nicalis.

And speaking of Dangen, I also noticed Renaine has a Switch port coming and looks ace too. Spritework and palette reminds me a lot of Shovel Knight.
Astalon kinda looks like it borrows inspiration from Maze of Galious or La-Mulana, and Renaine just looks cool.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Baba is ours!

We watched a couple of trailers and my wife watched a quick let's play and decided she wanted to buy it. So this will be fun, we will probably play it together some.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Cave can be infuriatingly inept and inconsistent business wise. You're talking about a company where one of their reps once dismissively said in an interview years ago 'If you want to play our games then come to Japan' to releasing their entire modern library on 360 and now only on Steam. I've politely bugged Degica several times on Twitter about looking into releasing Cave shmups on Switch and they recently replied basically 'we *might* release more shmups on Switch someday but have you checked out Rival Megagun?' Really vague and non commital obviously but fair enough so we'll see. Until then one's main options for playing the majority of Cave's shmups outside of emulation or PCB collecting are 360, Steam or previously purchased titles on an IOS device not updated to the latest firmware (which is why I don't buy games on the App Store anymore).

Edit: M2's ShotTriggers releases on PS4 of older Cave shmups like Ketsui and Dangun Feveron are great, highly recommend those, they also will be porting the original EspRaDe to PS4.

Anyways, what I wouldn't give to be able to play the DoDonPachi games and Mushihimesama 1&2 on my Switch + Flip Grip, please let it happen.

Cave Co Ltd games on Switch ain't gonna happen, man. The simple fact that they've let about 10 of their iOS shooters slip away and die by not updating them for iOS 11 (we're on iOS 12 btw) shows to me that they're not gonna do anything Switch related anytime soon.

Agent Unknown

Oct 26, 2017

I'm cynical about Cave on Switch too but this comparison doesn't really fit as a predictor of retro content on Switch considering there are plenty of other apps from big name publishers like Namco and SE who have also let their apps die on IOS (aforementioned examples of Pac n Jump and Bubble Bobble Double).

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

The good news is that the game itself is actually quite good. It's essentially a first-person parkour/platformer with a heavy dose of exploration and a tiny bit of action, but what sets it apart from others of its ilk is that you have to balance your own energy needs and the needs of the titular Valley. You can take life away from trees, animals, etc to use your various moves (double jump, attack, grappling hook, etc) but you also need to give life back to the Valley as, if the Valley's life goes down to zero, you have to restart that level (the Valley's health goes down every time you die as well). Compared to your typical exploration-based game there's a lot to like here in terms of gameplay and it has a story that, although told in a cliche manner, is still quite intriguing.

If you look past the bad framerate then there's a really quite enjoyable game here, especially for £10.
Ya man Valley is ace. Too bad abou the Switch version

Plum

May 31, 2018
Ya man Valley is ace. Too bad abou the Switch version

Damn, didn't think to get a reply from you lol. When I saw that it was on the eshop I re-watched your review and that's what prompted me to buy it.

And, yeah, the Switch version really tanks at times. At some points it seemed like it dropped into the 10s or even lower (Proving Grounds was awful in that regard). It's not unplayable but I really should have just bought it on PS4/X1 instead.

Karak

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Damn, didn't think to get a reply from you lol. When I saw that it was on the eshop I re-watched your review and that's what prompted me to buy it.

And, yeah, the Switch version really tanks at times. At some points it seemed like it dropped into the 10s or even lower (Proving Grounds was awful in that regard). It's not unplayable but I really should have just bought it on PS4/X1 instead.
very sad. The game is legit and I would have liked to have seen it better represented as I think it got slept on a bit

Gunkankun

Oct 29, 2017
So, what's the verdict on The Caligula Effect? Got a long haul flight coming up and looking for something fun to play but the reviews seem all over the place.

Discokuningas

Banned
Jan 18, 2018

Believe me there is. The framerate is kinda bad more all less all the time. As a game it's pretty good though but that framerate is a minus for me. I envy you not noticing this.

Ok. This I haven't seen and I am much farther than you. Framerate seems to be most times little under 30. Like 25 to 28. But I don't think it hits below 20 at any point I have seen. World is pretty big in some levels so maybe I haven't been in the same point.

Last edited:

suracity

Nov 6, 2017
Hi not sure if this is proper thread for the question but I greatly appreciate some feedback. I almost finished Ys8 and enjoyed it very much. How is tales of vesperia compared in terms of quality? For any reference I finished tales of zestiria on PS4 but don't like it very much. if it's very similar to toz then i will probably skip it and just wait for Sekiro and Yoshi to come out.

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
Cities Skylines is on sale in the US eShop for $26.79 (down from $39.99). Any thoughts? I've heard it has a bit of slowdown but it's otherwise a decent port.

IMO, the port is good for the scope of the game. Played it a lot during the first month after release. There is no additional DLC available for purchase, other than the bundled DLC.

Based on the tests people did in the Cities Skylines thread, the practical city limit for the Switch seems to be around 100,000 people. (But to reach such a size, you have to play for a really really long time.)

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
YES! I've been waiting a long time to get Forgotton Anne, I really digged the demo so this is the right time to buy it.
Enjoy! I picked it up in January and didn't regret it. It's a beautiful looking and sounding game and felt like playing a Miyazaki and Disney movie. It's also quite mature in it's themes of loss despite what some would assume to be an art style to appeal to children.

I picked up Golf Peaks and Dusty Raging Fist last night but I only had time to play Golf Peaks. It's a very zen like, relaxing puzzler with a surprising amount of depth. I got just over half way through and the puzzles do have a gentle incline in difficulty, so I'm hoping by the end the puzzles are a bit more difficult. But for 31kr It's hard to be mad that it's short.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
So, what's the verdict on The Caligula Effect? Got a long haul flight coming up and looking for something fun to play but the reviews seem all over the place.

No consensus. Reviews are all over the place. I'm gonna get it, but may wait for a sale at this point purely due to backlog and impending Final Fantasy ports.
Hi not sure if this is proper thread for the question but I greatly appreciate some feedback. I almost finished Ys8 and enjoyed it very much. How is tales of vesperia compared in terms of quality? For any reference I finished tales of zestiria on PS4 but don't like it very much. if it's very similar to toz then i will probably skip it and just wait for Sekiro and Yoshi to come out.

I literally rage quit this game yesterday. Quality is great but I hit a difficulty spike a few hours in, and after reading up on it there seem to be other encounters later on that are far, far worse. I have neither the time or energy to deal with that. It's a shame, because I was looking forward to it since the 360 days. Ymmv.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I literally rage quit this game yesterday. Quantity is great but I hit a difficulty spike a few hours in, and after reading up on it there seem to be other encounters later on that are far, far worse. I have neither the time or energy to deal with that. It's a shame, because I was looking forward to it since the 360 days. Ymmv.

Did you not use any of the level-up DLC they give you?

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Did you not use any of the level-up DLC they give you?
I used one, which took me three levels above the level people were recommending to get to for that encounter, and still party wiped in seconds. I read some tips for how to deal with it, but it seemed to involve serious micro management of the party.
I'm sure I could have followed the advice and gotten through it, but I don't relish the prospect of playing through such a long game which requires that level of microing.

The combat just never clicked with me in the slightest, and if the correct approach is to micro the entire party, even thinking about it is exhausting.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I used one, which took me three levels above the level people were recommending to get to for that encounter, and still party wiped in seconds. I read some tips for how to deal with it, but it seemed to involve serious micro management of the party.
I'm sure I could have followed the advice and gotten through it, but I don't relish the prospect of playing through such a long game which requires that level of microing.

The combat just never clicked with me in the slightest, and if the correct approach is to micro the entire party, even thinking about it is exhausting.

Honestly, when people suggest a certain level, I shoot for 10 levels above that. I like being overleveled, and I was for most of the game. I didn't really have trouble until the final boss.

P A Z

Oct 27, 2017
Barnsley, UK

If it helps, I own it on PS4 and it really isn't that much better, lots of drops and chugging, a (very) rough gem that game is.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Well this is new. I just got an email from Nintendo saying 'Several games you like are on sale right now' and listing two games on my wishlist.

Now they just need to let me add more than 200 games.