• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
My Time at Portia is up on the eShop now. April 16th. (Australian page below)

uxjy5lt.png
Wow, that is definitely a price.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Our World is Ended up for pre-purchase now.

What's wrong with Nintendo Life?
We've been tangentially discussing that whilst they cover more than normal the 'standards' they did have have kind of slipped and they don't quite cover as much smaller titles.

And personally while I appreciate them giving some videos to smaller games I ahve found their opinions/writing on them to suck, not because I agree or disagree with the content but because it is poorly edited, poorly written and oft not informative.

So we've been putting out people we find more useful. I mentioned Budget Gamer and while he is a small youtuber his videos tend to be informative even if he can be a little more forgiving or optimistic on every title. I never felt like his message, information and opinion were out of sync with one another.

Epilexia brought a good point about NL that when Thomas left they just stopped being as solid, and looking back I agree.

Illusionary

Oct 25, 2017
Manchester, UK
Thanks to everyone who recommended Baba Is You pre-release, especially Epilexia - despite knowing little about it previously, the gamejam build sold me on the premise and I'm loving the full game, even if it's getting a little tricky now (a little over 40 levels complete).

I also have to give some praise to the Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Special Episode DLC, which is much more substantial than I was expecting and a great reason to return once again to the game - it's about the same length as one of the episodes from the base game. Although the majority of the 18 new challenges take place in existing maps, the varied objectives make the experience feel fresh, while the 5 new wholly new maps are impressively detailed and imaginative.

Gunman Clive's another game that I've quickly run through recently, a nicely polished Mega Man-like, in a Wild West setting.

Looking at the current sales, a few other games have caught my eye as potential additions to the every-growing Switch backlog library - any thoughts on any of these from anyone?
  • Morphite
  • Earthlock
  • Death Road To Canada
  • Mana Spark
  • Forgotton Anne (I probably know as much as I need to about this, just trying to convince myself about whether to wait for a further drop and/or buy on PS4 instead... trophy potential is addictive!)

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Forgotton Anne (I probably know as much as I need to about this, just trying to convince myself about whether to wait for a further drop and/or buy on PS4 instead... trophy potential is addictive!)

Here's a post I made about it in the sale thread:

I really recommend Forgotton Anne.

It's longer than Gris — maybe 8 hours total — but it's similar in its focus on visual artistry with minimalist gameplay.

Visually, it's like an interactive Miyazaki film, and there's a strong element of player choice and consequence in the narrative that adds real weight; the fateful choices aren't heavily telegraphed, and will make the player come to terms with emotions like regret (in a good way — not a stressful one).

If any of that sounds appealing to you, it's a steal at $11.99. There should still be a demo available, as well.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks to everyone who recommended Baba Is You pre-release, especially Epilexia - despite knowing little about it previously, the gamejam build sold me on the premise and I'm loving the full game, even if it's getting a little tricky now (a little over 40 levels complete).

I also have to give some praise to the Captain Toad: Treasure Tracker Special Episode DLC, which is much more substantial than I was expecting and a great reason to return once again to the game - it's about the same length as one of the episodes from the base game. Although the majority of the 18 new challenges take place in existing maps, the varied objectives make the experience feel fresh, while the 5 new wholly new maps are impressively detailed and imaginative.

Gunman Clive's another game that I've quickly run through recently, a nicely polished Mega Man-like, in a Wild West setting.

Looking at the current sales, a few other games have caught my eye as potential additions to the every-growing Switch backlog library - any thoughts on any of these from anyone?
  • Morphite
  • Earthlock
  • Death Road To Canada
  • Mana Spark
  • Forgotton Anne (I probably know as much as I need to about this, just trying to convince myself about whether to wait for a further drop and/or buy on PS4 instead... trophy potential is addictive!)
I have played and enjoyed all 4 of the underlined and enjoyed immensely. Earthlock is a solid 8 RPG, Death Road was a lot of fun with 2 players, Mana Spark took over my wife's gaming for 2 weeks, and I enjoy the story of Anne

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
This has nothing to do with the Switch or eShop thread in general, but I felt I kinda needed to vent about this here..

So, because Steins;Gate has come out for the Switch and because I'm a pretty big fan of VN's, I thought about picking it up. What stopped me however was the fact that I own it on the Vita, so I've been playing that version instead and I've been enjoying it... somewhat.

Lately I've noticed that my Vita's been acting weird, in that whenever I put it in sleep mode, it closes whatever game I'm playing. Kind of annoying but I just have to remember to constantly save.

Anyway, I take my Vita out of sleep mode one day and in force closes SG yet again. Not too worried since I know I quick saved before I put my vita in sleep mode, I boot up like normal and proceed to continue playing. What wasn't normal was the "save data corrupted" screen I was introduced to.. Again, I wasn't totally worried about it since I figured it deleted my last save and since I constantly save in multiple save slots, I'd have to replay maybe 10-15 minutes tops.

Well, that wasn't the case at all.

All of my data was erased and at first I thought it was some meta-narrative, Yoko Taro thing where the Organization erased my files but then I quickly realized my Vita just suck. And you know what, I started a new game and fast-forwarded my way back to the point I was (which was about 7-8 hours in) in about 20 minutes! Haha

And I'll tell you what, if I didn't just get to the part of the story where things just started getting really good, I would've just washed my hands and walked away from this game forever.

So, to tie this back to the Switch... Steins;Gate is pretty damn good, y'all. I can't speak to the Switch version and as I've mentioned before, it takes a good damn long time before it gets good, but when it gets there, it gets there and keeps going. So if you're into visual novels, give it a go!
I keep hearing nothing but great things about Steins Gate, problem is I have no idea if I'll like a VN type game. What's the gameplay like?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Boy the Castlevania collection is a dream come true, I've wanted something like that for classic CV for so long, not to mention with those 4 mystery games there's a high chance we're finally getting re-releases of both Bloodlines and Adventure Rebirth (plus OG Rondo probably!).

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
I keep hearing nothing but great things about Steins Gate, problem is I have no idea if I'll like a VN type game. What's the gameplay like?
VN's are primarily narrative focused and honestly, there's very little 'gameplay' to most of them. You have your outliers like the Ace Attorney and Danganronpa games where they have elements of adventure games mixed in, but you're mostly just reading.

Cocobani

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
VN's are primarily narrative focused and honestly, there's very little 'gameplay' to most of them. You have your outliers like the Ace Attorney and Danganronpa games where they have elements of adventure games mixed in, but you're mostly just reading.
Oh ok, is it a self contained story or do I need to play any other games to understand what's going on?

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017

There isn't any. It's as interactive as a DVD menu. You're just reading.

That said, this "game" is AWESOME. The story is amazing. It literally may be one of my favorite stories in all tv/movies/book media. I LOVE it Worth the $60!
Or just save yourself the money and watch the Anime on Hulu. It's just as good

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
$60 for a VN though, what the fucking fuck?

I was super skeptical about paying $60 for Steins;Gate, but MAN it was worth it! It was super fantastic. That said, if you're already a subscriber on Hulu the Anime is on there and its dubbed. I would recommend that, the Anime is real good, I don't think you'll miss out on much watching the anime instead of the game.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I was super skeptical about paying $60 for Steins;Gate, but MAN it was worth it! It was super fantastic. That said, if you're already a subscriber on Hulu the Anime is on there and its dubbed. I would recommend that, the Anime is real good, I don't think you'll miss out on much watching the anime instead of the game.
I was referring to Our World is Ended, coming out next month. I haven't played Steins;Gate, but I've seen both anime series and the movie. Enjoyed it quite a bit, but I don't really want to retread the same story at this point.

alundra311

Oct 25, 2017
God I am really enjoying Turok. Such a fast paced shooter. Loving all the platforming too.

Just played Turok during my break and all I can say is it's great so far. Really nails the classic FPS gameplay, IMO.

God, I wish someone would port Doom, Heretic, Hexen, Quake, etc. to the Switch. I'd be there day 1.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Yeah, truly gorgeous Direct.

'Super Crate Box' was one my dreamed games that I saw as impossible.

One of the most influential indie games, in a tier close to 'Super Hexagon' or 'Super Meat Boy', and that never got enough recognition because its only console port for Vita was buried and forgotten after the closure of Playstation Mobile.

And with a new multiplayer mode: a fucking dream made true.

And 'Darkwood' was also on my list of dreamed games.

And 'Blaster Master Zero 2' looks spectacular.

The best Nindies direct since the initial one before the release of Switch.

So much GREAT things to love here.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah Super Crate Box is great, such perfect arcade gameplay. I remember getting addicted to it for a few weeks in college.

Anyone got a list of the indies currently on sale?

Bananastand

Oct 26, 2017
Hoping the indie sale is not just for the US!

Excellent Direct by the way. Looking forward to getting Super Crate Box again.

Also, Crypt of the Necrodancer is awesome, everybody should totally check it out.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Like I said in the Indie direct thread, only the swimming game looked iffy to me, everything else looked great and I hope they can deliver.

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
There's seriously like seven games from that Direct I want. Can't wait to get sad about dogs dying in Overland and Red Lantern! :P

I saw Night in the Woods on the sale logo, so hopefully it has a good discount. Would also like to see Crypt of the Necrodancer on sale for now-obvious reasons.