• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

FrakEarth

Oct 25, 2017
Liverpool, UK
Oh shit I have been waiting forever for Horizon Chase to get a sale. I am buying that right away.

Just picked this up today.. I hadn't heard about it to be honest so it's a pleasant surprise. It's more of a spiritual successor to the Lotus Turbo Challenge games than Outrun (which my girlfriend fell in love with this weekend), but still seems really fun, sunny, colourful and easy to get sucked in to... The UX in the menus is gorgeous and the music is really good

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Big news everyone!!!

The first Cave Co Ltd game is coming to Nintendo Switch!!

ESP Ra.De is a vertical shooter from 1998, originally released in arcades. Designed by Cave and published by Atlus. M2 is behind the conversion to PS4 & Switch and it's part of their M2 Shottriggers series.

Official Japanese site here

phAA.jpg

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 20 - World Soccer - Sabec - $9.99/€7.99 - 89 MB
    --
  • 21 - Team Sonic Racing - Sumo Digital/Sega - $39.99/€39.99 - 6.5 GB
  • 21 - Atelier Lulua: The Scion of Arland - Koei Tecmo - $59.99/€59.99 - 5.0 GB *05/24 on EU*
  • 21 - Resident Evil 4 - Capcom - $29.99/€29.99 - 12.0 GB
  • 21 - Resident Evil - Capcom - $29.99/€29.99 - 14.4 GB
  • 21 - Resident Evil 0 - Capcom - $29.99/€29.99 - 13.5 GB
  • 21 - Assassin's Creed 3 Remastered - Ubisoft - $39.99/€39.99
    --
  • 22 - Gunlord X - NGDEV - $9.99/€9.99 - 136 MB
  • 22 - The Last Door - Complete Edition - Plug In Digital - $14.99/€14.99 - 592 MB
    --
  • 23 - American Fugitive - Curve Digital - $19.99/€19.99 - 1.5 GB
  • 23 - Daedalus: The Awakening of Golden Jazz - Arc System Works - $39.99 *NA*
  • 23 - Wonder Boy Returns Remix - Cfk - $14.99/€9.99 - 730 MB
  • 23 - Heroine Anthem Zero: Episode 1 - Winking - $12.99/€12.99 (Preorder sale: $11.69/€11.69) - 3.9 GB
  • 23 - My Lovely Daughter - Toge Productions - $14.99/€14.99 (Preorder sale: $9.99/€9.99) - 419 MB
  • 23 - Image Fight - Arcade - Irem/Hamster Co. - $7.99/€6.99
  • 23 - Fun! Fun! Animal Park - Numskull Games - €29.99 - 1.3 GB *EU*
  • 23 - Star Sky - Active Gaming Media - $4.99/€3.99 (Preorder sale: $2.49/€1.99) - 133 MB
    --
  • 24 - Sword Art Online: Hollow Realization DX - Bandai Namco Games
  • 24 - Back in 1995 - Ratalaika Games - $9.99/€9.99 - 87 MB
  • 24 - Skelly Selest - Digerati - $9.99/€9.99 - 94 MB
  • 24 - Hungry Baby: Party Treats - QubicGames - $4.99/€4.99 - 477 MB
  • 24 - Super Tennis Blast - Unfinished Pixel - $14.99

- DLCs
  • Dead Cells - Motion Twin
    23 - Rise of the Giant - Free

- Japan
  • 23 - Shiritsu BeruBara Gakuen: Versailles no Bara Re*Imagination - Idea Factory - ¥6,804
  • 23 - Minna no Doubutsu Shogi - SilverStar - ¥4,666
  • 23 - Minna no Soukoban - Unbalance - ¥1,980
  • 23 - Puchicon 4 SmileBASIC - SmileBoom
  • 23 - Super Real Mahjong PVI - Mighty Craft

Last edited:

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
There are so many good games out (and I still gotta play more Shakedown Hawaii) but I just keep coming back to replaying all the Picross S games... Something about just doing all the puzzles while listening to music or YouTube videos in the background is just super addictive to me. Any other games that would scratch a similar itch? I'm just about done replaying S1-S3 + Kemono Friends Picross for the first time (oops).

Oct 28, 2017
Big news everyone!!!

ESP Ra.De is a vertical shooter from 1998, originally released in arcades. Designed by Cave and published by Atlus. M2 is behind the conversion to PS4 & Switch and it's part of their M2 Shottriggers series.

phAA.jpg

Oh wow! This is huge! Amazing game!

Is there a date? (I mean there are a few on that page but I can't decipher which is the actual release...)

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Big news everyone!!!

phAA.jpg

HOT DAMN. I'm super glad to see more of their shmups finally be made on current gen consoles. I would love a DoDonPachi collection or something considering it's a bit expensive to import the 360 titles. But I'm just happy that more arcade-exclusive titles are finally hitting the home.

And honestly, after finally getting around to playing Shikhondo: Soul Eater after paying like $4.25 or whatever via sale, it really made me miss the sheer insanity of the Cave shmups and the satisfaction of blowing up all the enemies and bosses. Not that it's bad bullet hell by any means, but there were times where some enemies just took waaaay too long to go down, even on Easy, and because of that, along with no visual feedback indicating they were taking damage, it feels a little underwhelming defeating certain enemies. Which goes for the bosses as well, but at least they give off a better feeling of "YEAH, I beat them, look at them explode!"

ScOULaris

Oct 25, 2017
Big news everyone!!!

phAA.jpg

Finally! Bring every Cave shooter in existence to the Switch with TATE mode.

Oct 27, 2017
NYC
Switch severely lacks what you are looking for.

If I might make a suggestion, though - on iOS and Android.

Night Of The Full Moon is a fabulous little card combat game and it's only $1. There is a a $1 expansion but outside of that no microtransactions. The game is an absolute steal. Might scratch that itch.

screenshot_20190128-220128_night-of-the-full-moon.jpg

Great suggestion, I'm downloading this! I believe Era has a thread for mobile recommendations, must seek that out after reseting my phone.

Okay so how about Wasteland 2, FF XII (or any of the FFs on Switch - VII just got patched for the sound issue), Valkyria Chronicles 1 or 4, Undertale/Deltarune, Into the Breach...?

More solid suggestions! I would add in Hardwest & Halcyon 6.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Im down for the Capcom stuff this week. Also looking forward to Dead Cells DLC, Gunlord and maybe a couple of other bits, though I'm still glued to the Castlevania collection so some stuff may well have to wait for a while!

Proteus

Oct 25, 2017
Toronto
Big news everyone!!!

phAA.jpg

I was looking at M2 stuff after watching the documentary and saw they had released a couple shmups on PS4 and Xbox One X. Almost pulled the trigger but I might just wait for this port of a Cave game instead.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Finally picked up Dead Cells over the weekend since it was on sale. Mostly just been playing Tetris 99 and dicking around in the NES online games (StarTropics is pretty great but Gradius is too damn hard for me, even with save states) so it'll be nice to have something new to play.
Also tempted by those Konami collections, especially the CV one. Looks like a really nice package.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Shottriggers line finally making it to Switch is great news. Hopefully new releases do well and they go back to Battle Garegga too.

Also I remembered shadowman16 had good things to say about it, so I went and pulled the trigger on Horizon Chase Turbo and that was a good decision, game is a pretty neat (and gorgeous) racer.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I'm really torn on whether to pick up Yooka Laylee or not. On one hand I'm really clamouring for a platformer and I don't want to re-play Odyssey (and can't since I sold my copy). I can also get it for £14 with Gold Points. On the other hand I've heard it's not all that great as a game.

What to do, Era? Any general thoughts on the game?

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
I'm really torn on whether to pick up Yooka Laylee or not. On one hand I'm really clamouring for a platformer and I don't want to re-play Odyssey (and can't since I sold my copy). I can also get it for £14 with Gold Points. On the other hand I've heard it's not all that great as a game.

I platinumed the game on PS4 and had a decent time with it.

It's very reminiscent of the older Rare games but not quite as strong. Still offers plenty of collecting, mini games, platforming, scavenging, etc... A couple of the worlds are really creative and well laid out, and a few are just ok. Think it took ~10-15hrs to 100%. The arcade mini games were the only thing to really frustrate, but they weren't all that bad.

Allyougame

Oct 25, 2017
So many great games available in general, nevermind on sale through most of this week. Over the weekend I picked up Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove and Thumper.

Started Specter of Torment for the first time - didn't play it yet with my Wii U version - and was immediately reminded of how much I enjoy Shovel Knight.

And Thumper for $5 was exactly the price I was hoping for, to finally play a game I've been very curious about and excited to experience. Can't wait to start that too.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I platinumed the game on PS4 and had a decent time with it.

It's very reminiscent of the older Rare games but not quite as strong. Still offers plenty of collecting, mini games, platforming, scavenging, etc... A couple of the worlds are really creative and well laid out, and a few are just ok. Think it took ~10-15hrs to 100%. The arcade mini games were the only thing to really frustrate, but they weren't all that bad.

Thanks. Think I'll pick it up. For £14 you can't really go too wrong.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Shottriggers line finally making it to Switch is great news. Hopefully new releases do well and they go back to Battle Garegga too.

Also I remembered shadowman16 had good things to say about it, so I went and pulled the trigger on Horizon Chase Turbo and that was a good decision, game is a pretty neat (and gorgeous) racer.

Its a really decent racer. It gets pretty darn tough later on, reminds me of Ridge Racer in that sense actually, which starts off easy but those later rounds put up one heck of a challenge if your aiming for 1st place + all coins in the race. I still need to go back and play the other modes one day.

In the mean time though I've been playing Octahedron. Its a really trippy and awesome platformer that has simple mechanics but quickly throws some pretty tough levels at you. Which is exactly what I wanted. Its a nice change of pace from the Castlevania collection.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
There are so many good games out (and I still gotta play more Shakedown Hawaii) but I just keep coming back to replaying all the Picross S games... Something about just doing all the puzzles while listening to music or YouTube videos in the background is just super addictive to me. Any other games that would scratch a similar itch? I'm just about done replaying S1-S3 + Kemono Friends Picross for the first time (oops).

Key word here is "replaying." Is this really your second rodeo with these games? That's hardcore. And probably, like, 400 hours of total play time. Once you're enslaved to Picross, there's no escape. lol

Art of Balance, Hexologic, and Swap This! might be up your alley, and all are very affordable. Definitely worth a look.

AnimeJesus

Oct 27, 2017

I enjoyed it, it's a decent platforming game in the vein of Banjo Kazooie. It's pretty charming too. The Switch version runs pretty good comapred to the other console version but later levels do have some stuttering which is annoying.

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
I am so confused by Starlink on the eshop. If you buy the regular digital edition you get a bunch of ships, including the Neptune, Pulse, and Lance. And pilots including Chase da Silva, Razor Lemay, and Levi McRay. Then there's the deluxe edition which lists a load of DLC, including the pilots, ships and weapons (Neptune, Pulse, Lance, Chase, Razor, Levi) already included in the base game!! So is the deluxe edition just a fucking scam?? What's going on here??

And is there a reason to want a lot of pilots? Do they have their own storylines to play through, or are they mostly cosmetic?

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
I am so confused by Starlink on the eshop. If you buy the regular digital edition you get a bunch of ships, including the Neptune, Pulse, and Lance. And pilots including Chase da Silva, Razor Lemay, and Levi McRay. Then there's the deluxe edition which lists a load of DLC, including the pilots, ships and weapons (Neptune, Pulse, Lance, Chase, Razor, Levi) already included in the base game!! So is the deluxe edition just a fucking scam?? What's going on here??

And is there a reason to want a lot of pilots? Do they have their own storylines to play through, or are they mostly cosmetic?
Base digital only has pilots from Starlink and starfox, in order to get all upgrades you need a outlaw, a researcher and a prospector pilot to level up which happens to be the additional three pilots. Other than that base has everything needed to complete the game. So I guess it depends on whether you want full upgrades or not. And it's a better deal than just buying the pilots.

Also dxm still looks fun to me and the demo was over a year old now as it's the same one from last e3

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
I saw another Mech game on the eshop releasing at the end of June called War Tech Fighters.

Yeah I said it before but I confused the Nimbus game with War Tech Fighters, mainly because they both have semi-rip-offs of the nu Gundam (though the Nimbus game also seems to have a Sazabi). I still haven't seen anyone say that Project Nimbus is outstanding or anything, though.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Base digital only has pilots from Starlink and starfox, in order to get all upgrades you need a outlaw, a researcher and a prospector pilot to level up which happens to be the additional three pilots. Other than that base has everything needed to complete the game. So I guess it depends on whether you want full upgrades or not. And it's a better deal than just buying the pilots.

Also dxm still looks fun to me and the demo was over a year old now as it's the same one from last e3

The confusing thing is that base digital comes with so much more than base physical, which is why digital deluxe seems like a scam (because it only adds like 1 ship, 3 pilots, and 3 weapons). I can't tell because I already bought the deluxe, but if only the base is on sale you should be ok if you just want it to try out the starfox stuff.

The standard digital comes with 5 ships, 7 pilots, 12 weapons
Digital deluxe comes with 6 ships, 10 pilots, 15 weapons
Standard physical comes with 2 ships (one physical arwing plus a digital version of the ship the others come with), three weapons (two physical, 1 digital), Fox and another pilot.

underFlorence

May 19, 2019
Germany
Key word here is "replaying." Is this really your second rodeo with these games? That's hardcore. And probably, like, 400 hours of total play time. Once you're enslaved to Picross, there's no escape. lol

Art of Balance, Hexologic, and Swap This! might be up your alley, and all are very affordable. Definitely worth a look.
Thanks, I'll check em out!
Also, forgot to mention I only replayed 15x15 or 15x20 ones which are the majority of the playtime bc 5x5 and 10x10 aren't super engaging imo

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
After being undecided for a few days, I finally found the nerve to pick up Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

I've put about 100 hours in MH World when it came out and loved all of the QOL things it introduced to the series (infinite whetstone, item shortcuts, etc.). So much so, I scoffed at MHGUs Switch announced and even said I didn't think I could ever go back to 'classic' MH after everything they changed in World.

Booted up MHGU, did my first hunt and was immediately like
5j7eja29et721.png

Casper

Oct 25, 2017
That's awesome to hear ryushe because for all the things that World improved on and added, MHXX/GU is still a damn fine game with just as much going on for it as well. I put many many hours into X and then G and then XX and now GU, and World showed up in there between XX and GU for me. So I was fully aware of what it was before playing World. I can see it being a bit different going from World to GU though, but if you like Monster Hunter and you have a Switch... you are silly not to! It's several hundred more hours of monster grind! Enjoy!

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
After being undecided for a few days, I finally found the nerve to pick up Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate.

I've put about 100 hours in MH World when it came out and loved all of the QOL things it introduced to the series (infinite whetstone, item shortcuts, etc.). So much so, I scoffed at MHGUs Switch announced and even said I didn't think I could ever go back to 'classic' MH after everything they changed in World.

Booted up MHGU, did my first hunt and was immediately like
5j7eja29et721.png
I so wish I could get into MH. I've just played through the tutorials and when I actually get to fight something, I feel like I'm just button mashing until it drops down twenty minutes later.

I know the problem is me and not the game, but I just don't get it. :(

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

https://www.resetera.com/threads/st...arr-no-you-do-not-need-to-buy-the-toys.75032/