• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
How is Minecraft on Switch?

It's great! However, I was about to post how good it looks in 1080p and the frame rate is really good, but I see posts from February saying a patch completely decimated the FPS and it was a bug. I have not played since last fall so not sure if that's been fixed.

But if it has been fixed, I love this game and it's WONDERFUL on Switch :)

Oct 27, 2017
Miami, Florida
Any impressions on Lovecraft's Untold Stories?

I originally was going to get it day one due to my love of Rogue-Likes and Lovecraft but something about the game play is off pudding to me.

The shooting mechanics and movement in game play videos seem odd...stiff. As far as the detective is concerned, it looks like he can only aim in four directions which rubs me the wrong way.

Don't get me wrong, I want this game but I think I'll sit it out until I get a hands on impression or it get's a price drop.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Xeno-V

have played (not beaten) all of those, and I'd say imo Wonder Boy is the highest quality out of them. Also a pricier one, but depending on the sale go for it. Good gameplay/mechanics, rewarding discovery, a lot of the challenge comes more from platforming/puzzles as opposed to bosses but I still like the bosses, it is a good one. Really cool game

They are all good. I vote wonder boy

Are you both talking about Wonder Boy, i.e the Dragon's Trap remake? In at least one of these two posts it sounds like it's Monster Boy that's being referred to maybe.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
The pudding is off, guys! Stay clear! XD

pdf00edlw5dkk9aygq4l.gif

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
Any impressions on Lovecraft's Untold Stories?

Wait, less than 25 € at the Russian eShop? Mmm… that's tempting, and I'd love to try the multiplayer, give a couple of days (I have a busy weekend, sigh) and I'll get it! :P

Awesome! If you do end up getting it let me know, also NateDrake said the patch is coming next week. I don't want to rub it in but this weekend for me is all about the Mueca festival in Puerto de la Cruz ;)

AfropunkNyc

Nov 15, 2017
I have mostly bad things to say about Owlboy. The game is gorgeous but boy if it isn't one of the blandest shit I've ever played. The three others are sure bet from whatI've read, though I only played Wonderboy.
Gotta agree with you on owl boy. the game isn't definitely bland. Its one of those games i had to take breaks from.

Oct 27, 2017
Does anyone want to make a case for songbringer and tangledeep? Both are on sale in au and have been catching my eye for a while.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Does anyone want to make a case for songbringer and tangledeep? Both are on sale in au and have been catching my eye for a while.
Tangledeep is a community favorite, and I think you will get a lot of good feedback. I am not sure anyone played Songbringer.

But Songbringer is well liked on PC and it looks cool, so go for it.

I got Odallus on sale in NA, I have it on PC but it seems like it would be better suited on portable and I honestly barely use my PC for indie games. I also got Lovercraft untold, looking forward to that as well.

But Attack on Titan 2 demo caught me good, now I regret not buying it on clearance at Target for $17 last month. It's legit good, even not knowing much about the the Anime. The movement is cool, targeting big titans and lopping off parts is fun. Going to see if I can go cart.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

Tangledeep is amazing. Heartily recommend. It'll be up there for my GotY, let alone indie of the year.
  • Charming SNES-era pixel art and OST (listen if you need convincing).
  • Fine-tunable difficulty settings that make it perfect for beginners, veterans, and challenge runners alike. (Among the options, you can turn perma-death on or off. On is the intended experience.)
  • Deep character build customization. Enjoy the job systems of FFV, FFT, Bravely, Octopath, etc? Tangledeep's is similar, with 12 jobs, just condensed into one character. Mix-and-match job abilities as much as you want to create unique builds. (Creating job builds is so fun that I looked forward to dying with perma-death on. Big accomplishment there.)
  • Addicting looter experience. There are 10+ weapon types and several armor types (all with differentiating effects), and although item drops are randomized, you can upgrade and customize your equipment by completing item dreams (think Disgaea: going into the item and completing a dungeon to upgrade it).
  • Monster taming and breeding! Can tame whatever you want, and breed the various monster families together to create particularly powerful pets. (Optional, though. If you aren't into that, you don't have to engage with it. But it's really helpful.)
  • Gameplay is very much the focus, but its story will take ~10hrs without restarting. The game's writing is charming.
  • Playing with perma-death on, there's all sorts of meta progression between each run: you keep banked items and gold, as well as your garden and — crucially — pets. (Breed a powerful pet and it'll basically be able to carry you on subsequent runs.)
It's just such a fun game, and one of the only traditional (turn-based, grid-based) roguelikes on the Switch. It has a DLC expansion coming to the system later this year, too, increasing the level cap and adding a 13th job, new items, new challenges, and a second story from the antagonist's perspective.

Oct 27, 2017
Tangledeep is amazing. Heartily recommend. It'll be up there for my GotY, let alone indie of the year.
  • Fine-tunable difficulty settings that make it perfect for beginners, veterans, and challenge runners alike. (Among the options, you can turn perma-death on or off. On is the intended experience.)
  • Deep character build customization. Enjoy the job systems of FFV, FFT, Bravely, Octopath, etc? Tangledeep's is similar, with 12 jobs, just condensed into one character. Mix-and-match job abilities as much as you want to create unique builds. (Creating job builds is so fun that I looked forward to dying with perma-death on. Big accomplishment there.)
  • Addicting looter experience. There are 10+ weapon types and several armor types (all with differentiating effects), and although item drops are randomized, you can upgrade and customize your equipment by completing item dreams (think Disgaea: going into the item and completing a dungeon to upgrade it).
  • Monster taming and breeding! Can tame whatever you want, and breed the various monster families together to create particularly powerful pets. (Optional, though. If you aren't into that, you don't have to engage with it. But it's really helpful.)
  • Gameplay is very much the focus, but its story will take ~10hrs without restarting. The game's writing is charming.
  • Playing with perma-death on, there's all sorts of meta progression between each run: you keep banked items and gold, as well as your garden and — crucially — pets. (Breed a powerful pet and it'll basically be able to carry you on subsequent runs.)
It's just such a fun game, and one of the only traditional (turn-based, grid-based) roguelikes on the Switch. It has a DLC expansion coming to the system later this year, too, increasing the level cap and adding a 13th job, new items, new challenges, and a second story from the antagonist's perspective.
I think you may have just sold me on it! What difficulty do you recommend starting on?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I think you may have just sold me on it! What difficulty do you recommend starting on?

The difficulty options are related to perma-death: Adventure (no perma-death), Heroic (perma-death), and Hardcore (perma-death and no meta progression).

If you're a veteran of JRPGs, I'd say go with Heroic; it's the intended mode of play, and like I said, I viewed the game's perma-death as a welcome opportunity to try new things. If you're less adept, or are looking to have a more carefree experience, start out with Adventure mode.

Outside of those options, you'll see a bunch of optional toggles at the start, which you can enable or not as you see fit (stuff like 'Free Job Changes' or 'Recover Health/Stamina/Energy outside battle'). I'd suggest going vanilla at first with none of those, but they can spice up future runs.

The game isn't super difficult by default once you figure its mechanics out, although you have to play strategically sometimes, versus named monsters or the story bosses. There are things called Pandora's Boxes (big golden treasure chests) that, if walked over, give good rewards but permanently increase the strength of all enemies in the game (for that character's run). I'd recommend never opening those unless you're challenge seeking later, because they can add up quick. If you are looking to test yourself later, there's always NG+, which drastically ramps up enemy strength while weakening you.

(First thing I'd recommend doing on startup is going into the character menu's options tab and looking around. Definitely turn "Confirm Analog Movement" OFF. It's on by default — or at least it was when I started — and it makes navigation seem slow and unintuitive, but when it's off it's just as snappy as you'd expect.)

Dave

Oct 26, 2017
So I'm interested in a couple of sale games, shall I pick up Steamworld 1/2 and Wonder Boy that are both featured in the sale? They're quite cheap in SA Rand.

Oct 27, 2017
First play through of tangledeep on heroic lasted me about an hour.
I started with the summoner job and just got too cocky. I do enjoy how the game over screens shows you some tips where you stuffed up.
Still trying to get my head around the UI, and all the menus. Overall I'm really enjoying it, it's giving me dungeons of dredmore vibes.

Now to decide what class to try next.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
For people like Arturo and The 8-Bit Raider , asking how is 'Lovecraft's Untold Stories', here are my impressions.

First thing, the Switch port.

In portable mode, the size of the sprites is really small. Instead of creating two adapted resolutions, one with a bigger screen size for the docked mode, and one zooming the camera for the portable mode... they have used the same resolution and zoom.

This is disappointing, because they are using a completely different size and camera zoom in the screenshots of the eShop, that are indeed adapted to how the game should be displayed in portable mode.

In these eShop screenshots you will see bigger sprites, a readable map, you can distinguish the small objects... it's like they have created an adapted resolution for the portable mode, but they haven't implemented this in the final build.

So this is by far my major complaint of this version: not having a zoom button to have a closer view in portable mode.

My second complaint is how poor is the implementation of the save function for a game designed for a portable console.

The game is divided in chapters, and they are really long. Much longer than your normal floor in other roguelites such as 'The Binding of Isaac'. Also, the game has a much slower pace, because the developers have put a lot of attention in creating a setting which feels close to the Lovecraft's universe. In a way in which the exploration and the investigation parts have a bigger weigh than the combat. Plus in each chapter's map there is a lot of backtracking. If for example you reach a distant corner of the map and you want to explore other zones of the chapter, you will need to go back through the previous visited rooms.

I was at the end of the chapter 1, with only a few rooms to explore in a distant corner of the map.

Exhausted, I decided to pause the game. I selected the option of returning to the menu.

In the menu, there are two options, one for a new game and the other one to continue your previous walkthrough.

I selected to continue... and instead of saving my actual run, the game took me back to the start of the first chapter.

So this continue option will always take you to the start of the current chapter. And you never should return to the menu or closing the game if you haven't finished the current chapter, if you don't want to lose your progress. But this is never specified by the game.

And how about the implementation of HD rumble or any type of rumble? Nope. There is no rumble in this game.

Outside of the quality of the Switch port, the game is okay.

The roguelite part is redundant, and it's a game that should have worked much better without randomized parts. Because the only randomized part is the layout of the maps, with the prologue of each chapter being fixed.

And the permadeath is not as punishing, because after each death the game will give you an option to start from the beginning of each chapter, with the same stats and objects that you had in your inventory after completing the previous chapter.

I miss more randomized parts. There are events tied to the exploration part that can randomly appear in each chapter. But they always have the same scripted events. So at the end, it's only a question of memorizing through subsequent runs which is the correct option to select in the menu. For example, you find a voodoo doll, the game gives you various options to interact. One will decrease your life meter, the other one will increase it. But always having a fixed solution for this will eliminate the risk-reward part that is essential in a good designed roguelite.

The combat is by far the worst part, it works in a similar way to 'Hotline Miami', with the difference that giving how dark is the map, there are not as much strategies that you can use to fight the enemies. So at the end, you are shooting cultist in dark corners of the room, and when you receive damage or you kill them, you never will have a sense of accomplishment or of being good playing the game. Nothing to see with the superb combats in games like 'Nuclear Throne'. And how confusing can result the combat is only accentuated by how small are the sprites in portable mode.

To be fair, the combat doesn't pretend to be the main focus of the game. A lot of the rooms are empty and without enemies, and it's a game more about how you manage your resources and items to survive.

The development team has been smart enough to understand what are the strengths of the game, and with a limited budget and resources they have been able to create a roguelite with a distinctive flavor, much more centered in the exploration part. And they have really nailed the Lovecraft setting. With a lot of references and homages to his stories. With a really ambitious use of its pixel art, including an overwhelmingly variety of assets. In which even the more small and subtle details have been taken into account to construct each scenario.

Nothing revolutionary, not a genre defining game. And a game that it's much more enjoyable in docked mode, due to the too damn small sprites. But it's also a game with its own personality and nailing the Lovecraftian setting. Until a point in which this will result in the only objective audience for the game: people who are super into Lovecraft's novels.

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
Kinda split between Spiritsphere DX and Strikey Sisters as they look pretty samey on a surface level. Any feedback would be appreciated!

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Also just nabbed Tangledeep thanks to some impressions in here. So that's Atomik, Abzu, Steamworld Heist, and Tangledeep from the sale so far.

Blackueen

Oct 28, 2017
Belgium
For people like Arturo and The 8-Bit Raider , asking how is 'Lovecraft's Untold Stories', here are my impressions.

First thing, the Switch port.

In portable mode, the size of the sprites is really small. Instead of creating two adapted resolutions, one with a bigger screen size for the docked mode, and one zooming the camera for the portable mode... they have used the same resolution and zoom.

This is disappointing, because they are using a completely different size and camera zoom in the screenshots of the eShop, that are indeed adapted to how the game should be displayed in portable mode.

In these eShop screenshots you will see bigger sprites, a readable map, you can distinguish the small objects... it's like they have created an adapted resolution for the portable mode, but they haven't implemented this in the final build.

So this is by far my major complaint of this version: not having a zoom button to have a closer view in portable mode.

My second complaint is how poor is the implementation of the save function for a game designed for a portable console.

The game is divided in chapters, and they are really long. Much longer than your normal floor in other roguelites such as 'The Binding of Isaac'. Also, the game has a much slower pace, because the developers have put a lot of attention in creating a setting which feels close to the Lovecraft's universe. In a way in which the exploration and the investigation parts have a bigger weigh than the combat. Plus in each chapter's map there is a lot of backtracking. If for example you reach a distant corner of the map and you want to explore other zones of the chapter, you will need to go back through the previous visited rooms.

I was at the end of the chapter 1, with only a few rooms to explore in a distant corner of the map.

Exhausted, I decided to pause the game. I selected the option of returning to the menu.

In the menu, there are two options, one for a new game and the other one to continue your previous walkthrough.

I selected to continue... and instead of saving my actual run, the game took me back to the start of the first chapter.

So this continue option will always take you to the start of the current chapter. And you never should return to the menu or closing the game if you haven't finished the current chapter, if you don't want to lose your progress. But this is never specified by the game.

And how about the implementation of HD rumble or any type of rumble? Nope. There is no rumble in this game.

Outside of the quality of the Switch port, the game is okay.

The roguelite part is redundant, and it's a game that should have worked much better without randomized parts. Because the only randomized part is the layout of the maps, with the prologue of each chapter being fixed.

And the permadeath is not as punishing, because after each death the game will give you an option to start from the beginning of each chapter, with the same stats and objects that you had in your inventory after completing the previous chapter.

I miss more randomized parts. There are events tied to the exploration part that can randomly appear in each chapter. But they always have the same scripted events. So at the end, it's only a question of memorizing through subsequent runs which is the correct option to select in the menu. For example, you find a voodoo doll, the game gives you various options to interact. One will decrease your life meter, the other one will increase it. But always having a fixed solution for this will eliminate the risk-reward part that is essential in a good designed roguelite.

The combat is by far the worst part, it works in a similar way to 'Hotline Miami', with the difference that giving how dark is the map, there are not as much strategies that you can use to fight the enemies. So at the end, you are shooting cultist in dark corners of the room, and when you receive damage or you kill them, you never will have a sense of accomplishment or of being good playing the game. Nothing to see with the superb combats in games like 'Nuclear Throne'. And how confusing can result the combat is only accentuated by how small are the sprites in portable mode.

To be fair, the combat doesn't pretend to be the main focus of the game. A lot of the rooms are empty and without enemies, and it's a game more about how you manage your resources and items to survive.

The development team has been smart enough to understand what are the strengths of the game, and with a limited budget and resources they have been able to create a roguelite with a distinctive flavor, much more centered in the exploration part. And they have really nailed the Lovecraft setting. With a lot of references and homages to his stories. With a really ambitious use of its pixel art, including an overwhelmingly variety of assets. In which even the more small and subtle details have been taken into account to construct each scenario.

Nothing revolutionary, not a genre defining game. And a game that it's much more enjoyable in docked mode, due to the too damn small sprites. But it's also a game with its own personality and nailing the Lovecraftian setting. Until a point in which this will result in the only objective audience for the game: people who are super into Lovecraft's novels.
Thanks for these impressions, sounds like I'll wait for a sale. Still interested in this one.

Cloud-Hidden

Oct 30, 2017
Noooo - you guys got me so excited to get Tangledeep off my wishlist and into my library, but it's not on sale on the NA eshop. =(

Now that the dust and initial hype has settled how's everyone who bought Shakedown Hawaii enjoying it?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
News? Isn't it coming out at the end of the month?
The news people want is confirmation of the obvious: that it won't have any Switch-centric bells and whistles because it's a straight PS4/PC version port. Some are still harboring false hope that it will have gyro aiming or some such.

Now that the dust and initial hype has settled how's everyone who bought Shakedown Hawaii enjoying it?
https://www.resetera.com/threads/sh...ss-man-let-me-handle-my-business-damn.115494/

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Kinda split between Spiritsphere DX and Strikey Sisters as they look pretty samey on a surface level. Any feedback would be appreciated!

I havent played Strikey Sisters yet, but looking at it and comparing it to my time with Spiritsphere I'd say get Strikey Sisters for sure. I was really disappointed in Spiritsphere it's really basic and bored the hell out of me

OuterLimits

Banned
Nov 2, 2017
Recently bought European Conqueror X and Shadows of Adam. Very interested in buying For the King since the PC reviews(and two Switch reviews) so far have been mostly positive.

honestly though, I have been addicted to the free to play game Gems of War since it released. Never played it much on mobile, but really enjoying it on Switch. I loved Puzzle Quest 1, and 2 years ago. Even spent some money which I rarely do on free to play.(although spending money isn't really needed)

Last edited:

Intel_89

Oct 25, 2017
Portugal
I havent played Strikey Sisters yet, but looking at it and comparing it to my time with Spiritsphere I'd say get Strikey Sisters for sure. I was really disappointed in Spiritsphere it's really basic and bored the hell out of me
Thanks for your feedback Mudo! I'll check out a bit more of Strikey Sisters to see if it's really worth it.

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
You sold me a copy good sir. I bought it on Steam first to see if I will like it enough to buy it on Switch.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Okay, okay, I bought Tangledeep. I hate you people.

Last thing I'm considering is whether I get OlliOlli or not.