• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
For people like Arturo and The 8-Bit Raider , asking how is 'Lovecraft's Untold Stories', here are my impressions.

First thing, the Switch port.

In portable mode, the size of the sprites is really small. Instead of creating two adapted resolutions, one with a bigger screen size for the docked mode, and one zooming the camera for the portable mode... they have used the same resolution and zoom.

This is disappointing, because they are using a completely different size and camera zoom in the screenshots of the eShop, that are indeed adapted to how the game should be displayed in portable mode.

In these eShop screenshots you will see bigger sprites, a readable map, you can distinguish the small objects... it's like they have created an adapted resolution for the portable mode, but they haven't implemented this in the final build.

So this is by far my major complaint of this version: not having a zoom button to have a closer view in portable mode.

My second complaint is how poor is the implementation of the save function for a game designed for a portable console.

The game is divided in chapters, and they are really long. Much longer than your normal floor in other roguelites such as 'The Binding of Isaac'. Also, the game has a much slower pace, because the developers have put a lot of attention in creating a setting which feels close to the Lovecraft's universe. In a way in which the exploration and the investigation parts have a bigger weigh than the combat. Plus in each chapter's map there is a lot of backtracking. If for example you reach a distant corner of the map and you want to explore other zones of the chapter, you will need to go back through the previous visited rooms.

I was at the end of the chapter 1, with only a few rooms to explore in a distant corner of the map.

Exhausted, I decided to pause the game. I selected the option of returning to the menu.

In the menu, there are two options, one for a new game and the other one to continue your previous walkthrough.

I selected to continue... and instead of saving my actual run, the game took me back to the start of the first chapter.

So this continue option will always take you to the start of the current chapter. And you never should return to the menu or closing the game if you haven't finished the current chapter, if you don't want to lose your progress. But this is never specified by the game.

And how about the implementation of HD rumble or any type of rumble? Nope. There is no rumble in this game.

Outside of the quality of the Switch port, the game is okay.

The roguelite part is redundant, and it's a game that should have worked much better without randomized parts. Because the only randomized part is the layout of the maps, with the prologue of each chapter being fixed.

And the permadeath is not as punishing, because after each death the game will give you an option to start from the beginning of each chapter, with the same stats and objects that you had in your inventory after completing the previous chapter.

I miss more randomized parts. There are events tied to the exploration part that can randomly appear in each chapter. But they always have the same scripted events. So at the end, it's only a question of memorizing through subsequent runs which is the correct option to select in the menu. For example, you find a voodoo doll, the game gives you various options to interact. One will decrease your life meter, the other one will increase it. But always having a fixed solution for this will eliminate the risk-reward part that is essential in a good designed roguelite.

The combat is by far the worst part, it works in a similar way to 'Hotline Miami', with the difference that giving how dark is the map, there are not as much strategies that you can use to fight the enemies. So at the end, you are shooting cultist in dark corners of the room, and when you receive damage or you kill them, you never will have a sense of accomplishment or of being good playing the game. Nothing to see with the superb combats in games like 'Nuclear Throne'. And how confusing can result the combat is only accentuated by how small are the sprites in portable mode.

To be fair, the combat doesn't pretend to be the main focus of the game. A lot of the rooms are empty and without enemies, and it's a game more about how you manage your resources and items to survive.

The development team has been smart enough to understand what are the strengths of the game, and with a limited budget and resources they have been able to create a roguelite with a distinctive flavor, much more centered in the exploration part. And they have really nailed the Lovecraft setting. With a lot of references and homages to his stories. With a really ambitious use of its pixel art, including an overwhelmingly variety of assets. In which even the more small and subtle details have been taken into account to construct each scenario.

Nothing revolutionary, not a genre defining game. And a game that it's much more enjoyable in docked mode, due to the too damn small sprites. But it's also a game with its own personality and nailing the Lovecraftian setting. Until a point in which this will result in the only objective audience for the game: people who are super into Lovecraft's novels.

Oh my man, I kind of wish you had finished the mansion, it might have alleviated some of your concerns RE: Saves/continues, I agree, stopping that chapter 1 early sucks because it killed the run, but more unlocks happen after that first chapter. You get a hub etc. It helps, I think they intended the mansion to be the tutorial area.

I thought it was okay in portable, but do agree it is a little too pulled out, and even when you go in to smaller rooms, where it should zoom in it doesn't enough.

I agree combat is not the key to this game, it is all the interaction with the world, there is a ton of it, and it can go in a lot of directions. Especially if you like that Lovecraftian flavor.

The game overall, is attractive they do add in a lot of good lighting and technical effects for being a "2d rogue lite", reflections, smoke, candles, windows all kinds of neat effects.

Thanks for these impressions, sounds like I'll wait for a sale. Still interested in this one.

Watch some more videos, especially if you like the style/Lovecraft. Combat isn't the focus, but each character has a unique ability and items, and all the world interactions can cause a lot of stuff to happen. So what happens to the Detective can be completely different from the Professor, even though it was the same "world event". This is because they each have unique skills.

I am actually pretty damn happy with the purchase other than the portable mode being too far pulled back, but I am going to check that in the second chapter to see if it was just the mansion. There is a lot to manage in the game, and since it is a Cthulu/Lovecraft game combat shouldn't be the focus and I think they leaned in to it a little too much. They even give you a classic invulnerability item on purpose because of it, I mean, if you have ever played Call of Cthulu in any form, PnP or card game or even the Xbox game or any of the other Lovecraft spinoff games you should know going in, you can't fight the madness, just hope to survive with your sanity in check.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Oh my man, I kind of wish you had finished the mansion, it might have alleviated some of your concerns RE: Saves/continues, I agree, stopping that chapter 1 early sucks because it killed the run, but more unlocks happen after that first chapter. You get a hub etc. It helps, I think they intended the mansion to be the tutorial area.

I thought it was okay in portable, but do agree it is a little too pulled out, and even when you go in to smaller rooms, where it should zoom in it doesn't enough.

I agree combat is not the key to this game, it is all the interaction with the world, there is a ton of it, and it can go in a lot of directions. Especially if you like that Lovecraftian flavor.

The game overall, is attractive they do add in a lot of good lighting and technical effects for being a "2d rogue lite", reflections, smoke, candles, windows all kinds of neat effects.

Watch some more videos, especially if you like the style/Lovecraft. Combat isn't the focus, but each character has a unique ability and items, and all the world interactions can cause a lot of stuff to happen. So what happens to the Detective can be completely different from the Professor, even though it was the same "world event". This is because they each have unique skills.

I am actually pretty damn happy with the purchase other than the portable mode being too far pulled back, but I am going to check that in the second chapter to see if it was just the mansion. There is a lot to manage in the game, and since it is a Cthulu/Lovecraft game combat shouldn't be the focus and I think they leaned in to it a little too much. They even give you a classic invulnerability item on purpose because of it, I mean, if you have ever played Call of Cthulu in any form, PnP or card game or even the Xbox game or any of the other Lovecraft spinoff games you should know going in, you can't fight the madness, just hope to survive with your sanity in check.
Thanks for the alternative viewpoint. I think I'll keep it on my watch list.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018

For every positive thing that I can say about 'Lovecraft's Untold Stories', I can add a clear flaw in the design of the game or an unpolished aspect. But I'm fine with this, and that is a part of the wild spirit of the Russian video game scene.

The illumination is impressive, sure, but at the same time, it's not in real time like in many contemporary 2D games (I'm thinking in the gorgeous use of illumination seen in 'Viviette'). For example, if you destroy a source of light, you won't see the light disappearing from this part of the scenario. When you activate the main mechanism in the central hub, instead of seeing how the light progressively illuminates the scenario, you can notice how this appears in squared and delimited sections, seeing the 'cut' sections.

The hit boxes are terrible. In some instances, you can have an enemy in front of you, use the shotgun with a straight shoot perfectly aligned with the enemy, seeing how the complete pixel map tied to the shooting effect is touching the enemy, but nope, the enemy won't receive damage.

In other instances, there are traps in the scenario like spikes. Some of them are very close to crucial objects like treasure chests. And the way in which the game decides if you are walking on the spikes feels off. In the hospital section this is accentuated by the small size of the sprites in portable mode, I lost the count of the damage taken by the acid, by only being close to its limit, because of the poor implementation of these hit boxes.

Also, the difficulty curve is unbalanced. The cultists using shotguns in the first chapter are the hardest type of enemy, and in this chapter there is a fine balance between a few combats and exploration. While in the third level in the graveyard there is an excess of enemies and combat, and all of them are really dumb and without showing a real challenge. At the end, they will be only running over you. In this graveyard, the mood or the sense of exploration is lost. You only walk through and endless maze of rooms shooting at dumb enemies, running over you.

The management of the inventory is confusing, there are too many type of objects and stores. And sometimes, you will lost ten minutes when you find a store, returning to a part with a teleporter to take the objects that you want to sell, because the maps are too damn long. Doing a good run is exhausting: you find a treasure in a room in a corner of the map, later you find the key for this treasure in the other corner of the map... so once again, you need to walk over all the previous completed rooms if you want to open the chest.

And then, it's the micro stuttering tied to load new sound effects. There are instances in which the image will freeze for a couple of frames. And this is tied to load some sound effects like recharging the shotgun. So the worst part is that the game runs flawlessly at 60 FPS 99% of the time, but you will only see this problem with the game freezing in the combat sections.

But at the same time, while I think that I'm done with the game after the graveyard (I closed the game after clearing all the rooms of enemies, desperate by the backtracking and by not having a save function), I have enjoyed / loved this ride by the same reasons that I loved 'Garage', other Russian piece of "kusoge".

Because even with the millions of flaws of this game, it has a je ne sais quoi, a distinctive flavor of series B movies. And because I'm a person of a very poor taste.

smisk

Oct 27, 2017
Dang there are some great sales this week. Thinking of picking up Severed, had my eye on it for awhile. Also maybe The Way? Not hugely into story heavy platformers like that but it looks pretty and .99 is a great price.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

Back in the days I had fun with this game, really good,from DrinkBox studio

Oh man, what a nice surprise to see this pop up in the eShop! Mutant Blobs Attack is so good, and one of my faves on Vita. Totally hilarious. I'll definitely be replaying this on Switch at some point.

And with that, all of Drinkbox's games are now available on the system except Tales from Space: About a Blob, which has somehow never left PS3 for whatever reason. I really hope they get around to porting that one eventually, at least for the sake of completeness. They could almost market it as a brand new game at this point since I'm sure not many people remember it.

I'm a person of a very poor taste.

I-dont-believe-you.gif

Unicorn

One Winged Slayer
Oct 29, 2017
Bought Wizard of Legend and damn its good.

Wish it had online MP though. I may double dip on pc to try out Parsec.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Took me a little over 10 hours to get S or S+ ranks on all of the stages in Graceful Explosion Machine. There are bonus challenges available for each planet, which I haven't played yet, but I have to say the core gameplay is very solid and I had a ton of fun with this.

You can make it as hard or as easy as you want for yourself, either chasing score or just pushing through so that you finish each stage. Getting S ranks wasn't too difficult in most cases, but S+ across the board would be a real challenge and would necessitate some planning/strategy. I was able to get top 100 scores in some cases, but for the most part I ranged between top 200 and top 500. No idea how some people are scoring 1+ mil points on stages where I just barely hit 300k.

For $6.49 it was worth every penny and then some. I may go back and try to get perfect S+ ranks on more stages, but for now I feel the need to conquer Black Bird in true mode.

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
For every positive thing that I can say about 'Lovecraft's Untold Stories', I can add a clear flaw in the design of the game or an unpolished aspect. But I'm fine with this, and that is a part of the wild spirit of the Russian video game scene.

The illumination is impressive, sure, but at the same time, it's not in real time like in many contemporary 2D games (I'm thinking in the gorgeous use of illumination seen in 'Viviette'). For example, if you destroy a source of light, you won't see the light disappearing from this part of the scenario. When you activate the main mechanism in the central hub, instead of seeing how the light progressively illuminates the scenario, you can notice how this appears in squared and delimited sections, seeing the 'cut' sections.

The hit boxes are terrible. In some instances, you can have an enemy in front of you, use the shotgun with a straight shoot perfectly aligned with the enemy, seeing how the complete pixel map tied to the shooting effect is touching the enemy, but nope, the enemy won't receive damage.

In other instances, there are traps in the scenario like spikes. Some of them are very close to crucial objects like treasure chests. And the way in which the game decides if you are walking on the spikes feels off. In the hospital section this is accentuated by the small size of the sprites in portable mode, I lost the count of the damage taken by the acid, by only being close to its limit, because of the poor implementation of these hit boxes.

Also, the difficulty curve is unbalanced. The cultists using shotguns in the first chapter are the hardest type of enemy, and in this chapter there is a fine balance between a few combats and exploration. While in the third level in the graveyard there is an excess of enemies and combat, and all of them are really dumb and without showing a real challenge. At the end, they will be only running over you. In this graveyard, the mood or the sense of exploration is lost. You only walk through and endless maze of rooms shooting at dumb enemies, running over you.

The management of the inventory is confusing, there are too many type of objects and stores. And sometimes, you will lost ten minutes when you find a store, returning to a part with a teleporter to take the objects that you want to sell, because the maps are too damn long. Doing a good run is exhausting: you find a treasure in a room in a corner of the map, later you find the key for this treasure in the other corner of the map... so once again, you need to walk over all the previous completed rooms if you want to open the chest.

And then, it's the micro stuttering tied to load new sound effects. There are instances in which the image will freeze for a couple of frames. And this is tied to load some sound effects like recharging the shotgun. So the worst part is that the game runs flawlessly at 60 FPS 99% of the time, but you will only see this problem with the game freezing in the combat sections.

But at the same time, while I think that I'm done with the game after the graveyard (I closed the game after clearing all the rooms of enemies, desperate by the backtracking and by not having a save function), I have enjoyed / loved this ride by the same reasons that I loved 'Garage', other Russian piece of "kusoge".

Because even with the millions of flaws of this game, it has a je ne sais quoi, a distinctive flavor of series B movies. And because I'm a person of a very poor taste.
I am literally right there with you! And if you have poor taste then I feel bad for everyone else on the gaming side cause then they are a just a bunch of suckers!

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
I need a patch for Strike Suit Zero. This game likes to crash. I wish devs would stop just pressing the Switch Port button and calling it a day.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

• 14 - Rock of Ages 2: Bigger & Boulder - Sega - $14.99/€14.99 - 2.3 GB
  • 14 - Sniper Elite V2 Remastered - Rebellion Interact - $34.99/€34.99 (Preorder sale: $31.49/€31.49) - 6.9 GB
  • 14 - Redout - Nicalis - $39.99/€39.99 - 2.2 GB
  • 14 - Evil Defenders - Crazy Panda - $9.99/€9.99 - 1.0 GB
    --
  • 15 - Undead Horde - 10tons - $16.99/€16.99 - 368 MB
  • 15 - Clu Clu Land - NES - Nintendo - Nintendo Switch Online
  • 15 - Donkey Kong Jr. - NES - Nintendo - Nintendo Switch Online
  • 15 - VS. Excitebike - Famicom - Nintendo - Nintendo Switch Online
    --
  • 16 - Darkwood - Crunching Koalas - $14.99/€14.99 - 2.3 GB
  • 16 - Octogeddon - All Yes Good - $8.88/€7.88 - 923 MB
  • 16 - Castlevania Anniversary Collection - Konami - $19.99/€19.99
  • 16 - Daedalus: The Awakening of Golden Jazz - Arc System Works - $39.99 *NA*
  • 16 - Thief Simulator - Forever Ent. - $17.99/€19.99 (Preorder sale: $16.19) - 1.7 GB
  • 16 - Project Nimbus: Complete Edition - GameTomo - $19.99/€17.79 (Preorder sale: $17.99/€16.01) - 5.3 GB
  • 16 - 39 Days to Mars - Its Anecdotal - $14.99/€12.49 (Preorder sale: $13.49/€11.24) - 268 MB
  • 16 - Pocket League Story - Kairosoft - $12.00/€10.00 - 227 MB
  • 16 - Inferno Climber: Reborn - Arc System Works - €11.99 - 1.8 GB *EU*
  • 16 - Koral - Carlos Coronado - $11.99/€11.99 - 325 MB
    --
  • 17 - Akane - QubicGames - $4.99/€4.99 - 326 MB
  • 17 - Devious Dungeon 2 - Ratalaika Games - $7.99/€7.99 - 167 MB
  • 17 - Guilty Gear XX Acore Plus R - Arc System Works - $14.99 - 4.2 GB
  • 17 - Chicken Rider - Ultimate Games - $3.99/€3.99 - 616 MB

- Japan
  • 16 - Hanayaka Nari, Waga Ichizoku - Idea Factory - ¥6,804

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Does anybody have "Never Stop Sneaking" ? If so, did the game get updated and the bugs/balance issues solved ? Thanks
It did get updated and I've not encountered any bugs in the game even before that happened. Nor am I aware of any balance issues.

I need a patch for Strike Suit Zero. This game likes to crash. I wish devs would stop just pressing the Switch Port button and calling it a day.
They don't do that. The smaller the team/game budget, the harder it is to have infinite time to QA all sorts of scenarios.

Freezasaurus

Oct 25, 2017
They don't do that. The smaller the team/game budget, the harder it is to have infinite time to QA all sorts of scenarios.
I mean, I finished the main game. Just have the 5 expansion missions to do now, but sometimes this game would crash on me 2-3 times in one session. Mostly seemed to happen while attacking capital ships. Just a bit frustrating.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I mean, I finished the main game. Just have the 5 expansion missions to do now, but sometimes this game would crash on me 2-3 times in one session. Mostly seemed to happen while attacking capital ships. Just a bit frustrating.
Sure, just don't assume they're not doing any work unless there's good reason to assume they've been willfully careless (there's this thing about tinybuild never being bothered to patch games, even if they have game breaking bugs, for example).

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Hmm, I'm showing a biota interest in getting Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R (where the fuck do they get these names from btw?).

Price seems okay, should translate into around £12 UK.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Grabbed Steredenn, pretty nice !
Not a fan of the music in the long run, and there's no way to check the controls outside of the tutorial ? Other than that, it's rad.

giallo

Oct 27, 2017
Seoul
Gunlord X, the first Nintendo Switch game from NG-Dev Team, known for still making Neo Geo cart and Neo Geo arcade games. This is an upgraded port of their 2012 Neo Geo/Dreamcast game. Comes out on Switch on May 22nd.

Oh hell yes. I'm buying this day 1, and not playing it until my flight home. It'll be my goal to finish it before I land.

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
I've bought some utter shite off recommendations from people on internet forums but yesterday's purchase of Tangledeep has so far redeemed all of them. Absolutely wonderful, and I've only played two hours and still on my first run. Exactly what I was looking for.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
Grabbed Steredenn, pretty nice !
Not a fan of the music in the long run, and there's no way to check the controls outside of the tutorial ? Other than that, it's rad.

That's an amazing price and I've had my eye on it forever - but can you turn the music off? That's the one thing that's holding me back tbh. You can play Spotify in the backround on the PS4 though so if soundtracking it yourself is possible I'll windmill slam it on there instead of Switch! Ugh, seems like a delish handheld game tho...

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
That's an amazing price and I've had my eye on it forever - but can you turn the music off? That's the one thing that's holding me back tbh. You can play Spotify in the backround on the PS4 though so if soundtracking it yourself is possible I'll windmill slam it on there instead of Switch! Ugh, seems like a delish handheld game tho...
You can turn the volume of the music indeed, down to zero. :)

I think that the problem of the music is that the quality of sampling seems pretty low so it's not as impactful as it should be

Last edited:

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Gain Ground and Alex Kidd on sale.

I remember people bagging on Gain Ground, but that was because they didn't like the base game, right? The port is fine?

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Gain Ground and Alex Kidd on sale.

I remember people bagging on Gain Ground, but that was because they didn't like the base game, right? The port is fine?
The port is excellent, its got a great alternate mode that gives you all the different characters to select from in the beginning but you can't capture new characters during play so it switches things up nicely. Plus some great bug fix options (fixes an issue with the arcade original version) and some decent visual options (Tate/flip grip support).
I thought the game was fantastic myself, and its the usual excellent M2 port. Well worth getting.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
The only two AGES releases I'm missing are on sale, nice! I almost got GG from the JP store with my spare change too, good thing I went for Puyo Puyo instead.

Wasn't too convinced about Alex Kidd but I guess I'm getting it after all.

Feeroper

Oct 25, 2017
Im thinking of picking up Sniper Elite V2 for Switch - however I know the multiplayer part is reduced to 8 vs 16 on PS4. I would really like to have this portable though, so is the multiplayer aspect a big part of the game? Should I pick it up on PS4 for the bigger multiplayer count? Or is it more focused on the solo stuff (in which case Id definitely go Switch)?

I have never played a Sniper Elite game before. The gyro aiming also sounds great too.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Im thinking of picking up Sniper Elite V2 for Switch - however I know the multiplayer part is reduced to 8 vs 16 on PS4. I would really like to have this portable though, so is the multiplayer aspect a big part of the game? Should I pick it up on PS4 for the bigger multiplayer count? Or is it more focused on the solo stuff (in which case Id definitely go Switch)?

I have never played a Sniper Elite game before. The gyro aiming also sounds great too.
I highly doubt this would become your go-to multiplayer shooter even with 12 (og) or 16 players in there. You go to Sniper Elite for the campaign (and co-op, I guess).

Feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.

eoinmoners

Oct 1, 2018
I think that the problem of the music is that the quality of sampling seems pretty low so it's not as impactful as it should be[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info! Much appreciated :)

Edit: doubler

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I have played Tangledeep for about 70 minutes and it hasn't clicked for me. I took a couple of stairs from the first larger area through a couple of mazes and thats about it. Always mazes. And the item management annoys me. If you grab some weapons from the floor, the game puts them into the offhands and often time makes me fight with the weaker ones. That is probably me struggeling with the interface because I am still learning, but I just don't have a great time with the game. Is there still hope for me or should I move on? There are just so many games to play ...

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
I have played Tangledeep for about 70 minutes and it hasn't clicked for me. I took a couple of stairs from the first larger area through a couple of mazes and thats about it. Always mazes. And the item management annoys me. If you grab some weapons from the floor, the game puts them into the offhands and often time makes me fight with the weaker ones. That is probably me struggeling with the interface because I am still learning, but I just don't have a great time with the game. Is there still hope for me or should I move on? There are just so many games to play ...

You can turn off the option that auto-equips weapons to empty slots. There are a lot of helpful options in general, I'd suggest giving them a look.

If the game's combat, music, graphics, etc. aren't grabbing you, then maybe it just isn't for you. It's a gameplay-focused game, and the randomly generated dungeons and loot is a big part of that.

Bate

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
You can turn off the option that auto-equips weapons to empty slots. There are a lot of helpful options in general, I'd suggest giving them a look.

If the game's combat, music, graphics, etc. aren't grabbing you, then maybe it just isn't for you. It's a gameplay-focused game, and the randomly generated dungeons and loot is a big part of that.

I will investigate the options then, and give the game at least another hour. I really want to like that game. On paper it looks like my thing.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but both SwitchUp and SwitchWatch took me off guard with some shitty, right-leaning political dog whistles lately. It's a shame, because I like to listen to YouTube reviews of all the indie stuff that comes out on Switch. Anyone know of any other good channels that do a lot of eShop reviews?

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but both SwitchUp and SwitchWatch took me off guard with some shitty, right-leaning political dog whistles lately. It's a shame, because I like to listen to YouTube reviews of all the indie stuff that comes out on Switch. Anyone know of any other good channels that do a lot of eShop reviews?

They have? I don't know much about the former channel at all (never watched it) but I'm subbed to SwitchWatch and liked their stuff for a long while, though haven't watched in recent months due to me being busy and such. Would be annoying if that's the case though, since I just had to unsub from Toy Bounty Hunters as they went from an awesome Super Sentai Retrospective channel to a godawful far-right commentary channel that backs hategroup members, which broke my heart to see. I'd rather not do that to another YT channel I liked. :(

But in terms of good alternatives, Wiiviewer is one of my top favorites! He reviews a bunch of the retail family games and such since he did that on the Wii during the wii era, but the way he covers games makes his reviews very interesting since he covers them alongside his kids who all have their differing takes on things due to the age differences. He sometimes picks out eShop games if not many people cover them or if they're heavily recommended, so he's my main go-to for reviews of new releases.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't even bother with white, nerd stuff-related youtubers in general anymore lol, it's such a minefield out there. I feel bad for genuinely good ones, but better safe than sorry.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
They have? I don't know much about the former channel at all (never watched it) but I'm subbed to SwitchWatch and liked their stuff for a long while, though haven't watched in recent months due to me being busy and such. Would be annoying if that's the case though, since I just had to unsub from Toy Bounty Hunters as they went from an awesome Super Sentai Retrospective channel to a godawful far-right commentary channel that backs hategroup members, which broke my heart to see. I'd rather not do that to another YT channel I liked. :(

Thanks for the rec. To be fair, it was nothing egregious -- Jordan on SwitchWatch started his Saints Row review with a rant about how everyone is "overly sensitive" and "easily offended," framing the game as a reminder of the ~ good old days~ before everyone got "thin skinned." It's not enough to entirely turn me off from the channel, but with gaming YouTube being such an alt-right minefield, it does smell of someone with snowflake persecution complex and got my shithead sense tingling a bit. As for SwitchUp, they straight-up used "SJW" as an insult in their Aggelos review, like out of nowhere. I'm out on that one.

I don't even bother with white, nerd stuff-related youtubers in general anymore lol, it's such a minefield out there. I feel bad for genuinely good ones, but better safe than sorry.

Yeah, even as a white nerd myself, I'm just about there. It really shouldn't be hard to find eShop reviews from non-creeps, but here we are.

Last edited:

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Hm I think unless yugioh lotdle drops out of nowhere I'll probably try not to buy anything else till Mua3

Tebunker

Oct 25, 2017
Thanks for the rec. To be fair, it was nothing egregious -- Jordan on SwitchWatch started his Saints Row review with a rant about how everyone is "overly sensitive" and "easily offended," framing the game as a reminder of the ~ good old days~ before everyone got "thin skinned." It's not enough to entirely turn me off from the channel, but with gaming YouTube being such an alt-right minefield, it does smell a bit of someone with snowflake persecution complex and got my shithead sense tingling a bit. As for SwitchUp, they straight-up used "SJW" as an insult in their Aggelos review, like out of nowhere. I'm out on that one.

Yeah, even as a white nerd myself, I'm just about there. It really shouldn't be hard to find eShop reviews from non-creeps, but here we are.
Is that dude even old enough to remember the "good old days"? No I think that's plenty enough to not listen to that YTer ever. It shows a keen tone deafness and lack of understanding of all that is involved, and even if it wasn't a hard right lean, it indicates to me someone who doesn't want to take a moment to understand why a lot of the shitty humor is shitty. It was shitty then, but people didn't focus on it, and a lot of it is still shitty now.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Is that dude even old enough to remember the "good old days"? No I think that's plenty enough to not listen to that YTer ever. It shows a keen tone deafness and lack of understanding of all that is involved, and even if it wasn't a hard right lean, it indicates to me someone who doesn't want to take a moment to understand why a lot of the shitty humor is shitty. It was shitty then, but people didn't focus on it, and a lot of it is still shitty now.

Yeah, for me that sort of rhetoric in general also just indicates "I'm a straight white dude who is annoyed by the fact that media creators are starting to pay a modicum of attention to inclusivity."

Seafoam Gaming

One Winged Slayer
Nov 3, 2017
Thanks for the rec. To be fair, it was nothing egregious -- Jordan on SwitchWatch started his Saints Row review with a rant about how everyone is "overly sensitive" and "easily offended," framing the game as a reminder of the ~ good old days~ before everyone got "thin skinned." It's not enough to entirely turn me off from the channel, but with gaming YouTube being such an alt-right minefield, it does smell of someone with snowflake persecution complex and got my shithead sense tingling a bit. As for SwitchUp, they straight-up used "SJW" as an insult in their Aggelos review, like out of nowhere. I'm out on that one.

Oh, yeah. The Switch Watch situation wasn't as bad sounding as I feared it would be thankfully, but I will definitely stay away from Switchup if they're leaning towards that crowd. Hope my recommendation helps since I know the Wiiviewer to be a super nice guy that's been doing this for eleven years now. It's kinda impressive how he's gotten a review out every week for so long!

Also a bummer that the problematic review from Switchup is over Aggelos, since that game is outstanding and I do hope the awful behavior of the reviewer doesn't discourage you from checking that game out if you haven't. It was the highlight of my April for sure and is a super fun metroidvania that I strongly encourage everyone to get! (Though it sounds like a new patch bugged the game? I hope it gets fixed soon though, and I'm sure it will)

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo

Oh damn. I don't care much about Saints Row so I would have missed that one from SwitchWatch. Maybe people should write to them and ask WTF? If they want to play that card they need to face up to it so people can un-sub.