• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Thanks for the rec. To be fair, it was nothing egregious -- Jordan on SwitchWatch started his Saints Row review with a rant about how everyone is "overly sensitive" and "easily offended," framing the game as a reminder of the ~ good old days~ before everyone got "thin skinned." It's not enough to entirely turn me off from the channel, but with gaming YouTube being such an alt-right minefield, it does smell of someone with snowflake persecution complex and got my shithead sense tingling a bit. As for SwitchUp, they straight-up used "SJW" as an insult in their Aggelos review, like out of nowhere. I'm out on that one.

Yeah, even as a white nerd myself, I'm just about there. It really shouldn't be hard to find eShop reviews from non-creeps, but here we are.

Thanks for the heads-up mate. I very rarely watch YouTube videos about games anyway, but I'll know to avoid those two in the future.

Cyn

Oct 31, 2017
Wasn't sure where else to post this, but both SwitchUp and SwitchWatch took me off guard with some shitty, right-leaning political dog whistles lately. It's a shame, because I like to listen to YouTube reviews of all the indie stuff that comes out on Switch. Anyone know of any other good channels that do a lot of eShop reviews?
BeatEmUps and Arlo. Beatemups definitely regularly does eshop bundle videos where he goes over the best new releases.

Kyuuji

The Favonius Fox
Nov 8, 2017
No hype for Redout? Thought this was well anticipated but haven't seen anyone talking about it.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Oh damn. I don't care much about Saints Row so I would have missed that one from SwitchWatch. Maybe people should write to them and ask WTF? If they want to play that card they need to face up to it so people can un-sub.

I did. I sent Jordan a DM yesterday -- a very polite DM, since I've been a SwitchWatch fan, comment quite frequently on their videos and shared a few of their reviews in previous eshop threads. I sent him a link to Barn post and mentioned how I think this is probably a misunderstanding.

Sadly, he hasn't replied yet, even though he's been tweeting for a few hours. I'll let you guys know if I get an answer.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Deemo is so good.
Played six hours yesterday, just a couple songs and I am done story.

643x0w.jpg

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I did. I sent Jordan a DM yesterday -- a very polite DM, since I've been a SwitchWatch fan, comment quite frequently on their videos and shared a few of their reviews in previous eshop threads. I sent him a link to Barn post and mentioned how I think this is probably a misunderstanding.

Sadly, he hasn't replied yet, even though he's been tweeting for a few hours. I'll let you guys know if I get an answer.

I am going to write to him too. Need to watch the review myself, but I'm guessing multiple messages will help.

shadowman16

Oct 25, 2017
Waiting for the CV collection to be released so I'm playing the ace Yoku's Island Express in the mean time. Definitely one of the most creative Metroidvania's out there (can't think of any others that use Pinball as its main mechanic!

Speaking of the CV collection, I'm not sure on whether I'll get the Japanese or overseas version of the game. Hoping that (bar CV2 of course) we get the Japanese roms for the games in the Japanese release. Pity about the higher price again though...

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Ugh late in the day, I prefer first thing in the morning. That's a lot to show then.

Also Starlink is finally on sale digitaly in NA again, half off base only

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Saw some footage of Redout on YoTube, seems pretty smooth even if 30 FPS. Don't know if the copy is legit though, is it out yet ?

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
Resolution has really taken a hit to keep it a stable 30fps. But overall, not bad in motion really.

NSwitchDS_Redout_02.jpg

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
I went back to playing Danmaku Unlimited 3 today and it really is one of the best shooters on the Switch. Bullet-Hell style vertical scrolling shooter.

I was playing in Tate mode with just one joy con while I rest the Switch vertically standing up on my computer monitor, with the other Joycon still connected for added stability. It's a basic setup but it works really effectively.

It came out over a year ago but if anybody is into Japanese style bullet hell shooters, then give this a shot. Also, apart from the music, most of the game was made by one guy.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Say I need help, starlink is on sale so I plan to get it(half off as always) but I don't know whether to get base or deluxe digital, it's a 10 buck difference for 1 more ship, 3 more pilots and 3 more weapons and I doubt I'd buy them otherwise. On the other hand I could save the ten bucks for the Star Fox expansion instead which is 3 more pilots and has actual missions

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
I went back to playing Danmaku Unlimited 3 today and it really is one of the best shooters on the Switch. Bullet-Hell style vertical scrolling shooter.

I was playing in Tate mode with just one joy con while I rest the Switch vertically standing up on my computer monitor, with the other Joycon still connected for added stability. It's a basic setup but it works really effectively.

It came out over a year ago but if anybody is into Japanese style bullet hell shooters, then give this a shot.

YES!

Absolutely one of my favorites, and a great introduction to bullet-hell style games. Two really solid solid features should not be overlooked: the ability to practice stages and the ability to practice boss fights. It gives you the chance to memorize patterns, memorize bullet clusters, and get better at tough fights without having to fight through the rest of the game first. plus there are plenty of difficulty settings and super sharp artwork, which means it's easy to follow what is going to kill you and what isn't.

in some ways the scoring system is simplistic and the game is relatively short, but it invites practice and mastery more than some shooters I can think of.

glad to see someone else likes it too!

Lowblood

Oct 30, 2017
Hey, Count Lucanor is on sale. Not sure if that was in the original sale lineup or it was added later. Grabbing that, I'm really interested in the dev's next game so I want to try this one too.

Also gonna grab Alex Kidd since it's on sale too. Wasn't quite up for full price on that one. The Ages titles do go on sale fairly quickly, but I'm not sure I'll be able to wait on Virtua Racing when it finally comes here.

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
YES!

Absolutely one of my favorites, and a great introduction to bullet-hell style games. Two really solid solid features should not be overlooked: the ability to practice stages and the ability to practice boss fights. It gives you the chance to memorize patterns, memorize bullet clusters, and get better at tough fights without having to fight through the rest of the game first. plus there are plenty of difficulty settings and super sharp artwork, which means it's easy to follow what is going to kill you and what isn't.

in some ways the scoring system is simplistic and the game is relatively short, but it invites practice and mastery more than some shooters I can think of.

glad to see someone else likes it too!

Oh they/he did a fantastic job with this game.

If I had to be picky, when in handheld Tate mode with the Joycons attached, the buttons don't map to Tate mode settings. You have to detach the Joycon for that.

There's no attract mode (for that extra arcade feel, leave it running and watch the cpu play through bits and pieces).

Also, with the help of a good character artist they could have got some light story and characters in there, like the Cave Co Ltd games.

But you're right, the features that are in the package are very well done.

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
Say I need help, starlink is on sale so I plan to get it(half off as always) but I don't know whether to get base or deluxe digital, it's a 10 buck difference for 1 more ship, 3 more pilots and 3 more weapons and I doubt I'd buy them otherwise. On the other hand I could save the ten bucks for the Star Fox expansion instead which is 3 more pilots and has actual missions

There is a Starlink thread you can find more answer to but...

The ships aren't that big of the deal. Pilots are more important cause they give you an unique ability. You can look up what abilities they have and see if you care about them. Weapons are more important but depends on your play style. Buying Collection 2 might be a better bet than buying those Collection 1 extra weapons. But then again, you can always buy each piece separately.

tl;should've read...most people are pretty good with just the base digital game and don't need everything. I got everything and I don't play with most ships or most pilots. Weapons I occasionally change out to get more XP (each weapon & ship earns XP the more you use it, that shows how familiar you are with it. This gives you points to upgrade your pilot to unlock more passive abilities and enhancements to your special ability).

Also, most weekends they have free play that let's you try out a select pilot, ship, and weapon.

Also, also, Star Fox pack is ONLY for the pilots. Missions should be free for everyone on Switch. All mission content is free, you only buy ships/pilots/weapons.

DarkPrince

Dec 2, 2017
Wow I only just saw now that Blades of Time is releasing on switch today, that's awesome, while the game isn't amazing I quite enjoyed it back on the PS3, really hope performance is good on the Switch as I'd love to support the title.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Took me a little over 10 hours to get S or S+ ranks on all of the stages in Graceful Explosion Machine. There are bonus challenges available for each planet, which I haven't played yet, but I have to say the core gameplay is very solid and I had a ton of fun with this.

You can make it as hard or as easy as you want for yourself, either chasing score or just pushing through so that you finish each stage. Getting S ranks wasn't too difficult in most cases, but S+ across the board would be a real challenge and would necessitate some planning/strategy. I was able to get top 100 scores in some cases, but for the most part I ranged between top 200 and top 500. No idea how some people are scoring 1+ mil points on stages where I just barely hit 300k.

For $6.49 it was worth every penny and then some. I may go back and try to get perfect S+ ranks on more stages, but for now I feel the need to conquer Black Bird in true mode.

The real joy of GEM is going back through the levels to get those high ranks. I bet most people just played through to the end of the game (if they made it that far to begin with) and called it a day without ever intentionally attempting to nab some thrilling perfect clears, which is a shame. I also think the 77/100 Metascore is representative of many critics judging the game without allowing it the proper time to sink its claws in, because I think it deserves much higher. Personally, I'd give it an 85+.

Gain Ground and Alex Kidd on sale.

I remember people bagging on Gain Ground, but that was because they didn't like the base game, right? The port is fine?

Both of them run fine, as expected from M2. Personally, though, they're the most skippable of all the SEGA AGES titles released so far.

Gain Ground benefits from the TATE mode support that the Switch provides, true, but while I was playing it I couldn't stop thinking about how much a 3D Classic iteration would drastically improve visibility of projectiles and add in much-needed enhanced depth perception when enemies are attacking and throwing stuff. Also it's just such a chore to play when your character is moving slower than molasses and has no hope of dodging the deluge of bullets, spears, etc. that become more and more unreasonably plentiful the farther you go. M2 could've easily added in an optional increased running speed toggle to help balance the difficulty a bit, so it's a shame that one doesn't exist here.

Alex Kidd just flat-out sucks. I have no prior experience with Miracle World since this year was my first crack at it, and it disappoints me to say that it hasn't held up at all. After reading all of the glowing praise for this online, I think there's a huge bias from the legion of '80s kids who grew up with it as the default built-in game that came bundled with millions of Master Systems, so the nostalgia haze is strong with this one indeed. The controls are too slippery and temperamental, the level design is random and nonsensical, the music is overly repetitive, and it features some of the lamest boss fights I've ever encountered. Rock-paper-scissors? Seriously? Maybe the other Alex Kidd games are marginally better, but going off of this first installment I see now why SEGA rarely pays tribute to this series and why there's no movement among SEGA fans to bring him back from the dead after a nearly 30-year hiatus.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
The real joy of GEM is going back through the levels to get those high ranks. I bet most people just played through to the end of the game (if they made it that far to begin with) and called it a day without ever intentionally attempting to nab some thrilling perfect clears, which is a shame. I also think the 77/100 Metascore is representative of many critics judging the game without allowing it the proper time to sink its claws in, because I think it deserves much higher. Personally, I'd give it an 85+.

Both of them run fine, as expected from M2. Personally, though, they're the most skippable of all the SEGA AGES titles released so far.

Gain Ground benefits from the TATE mode support that the Switch provides, true, but while I was playing it I couldn't stop thinking about how much a 3D Classic iteration would drastically improve visibility of projectiles and add in much-needed enhanced depth perception when enemies are attacking and throwing stuff. Also it's just such a chore to play when your character is moving slower than molasses and has no hope of dodging the deluge of bullets, spears, etc. that become more and more unreasonably plentiful the farther you go. M2 could've easily added in an optional increased running speed toggle to help balance the difficulty a bit, so it's a shame that one doesn't exist here.

Alex Kidd just flat-out sucks. I have no prior experience with Miracle World since this year was my first crack at it, and it disappoints me to say that it hasn't held up at all. After reading all of the glowing praise for this online, I think there's a huge bias from the legion of '80s kids who grew up with it as the default built-in game that came bundled with millions of Master Systems, so the nostalgia haze is strong with this one indeed. The controls are too slippery and temperamental, the level design is random and nonsensical, the music is overly repetitive, and it features some of the lamest boss fights I've ever encountered. Rock-paper-scissors? Seriously? Maybe the other Alex Kidd games are marginally better, but going off of this first installment I see now why SEGA rarely pays tribute to this series and why there's no movement among SEGA fans to bring him back after a nearly 30-year hiatus.
I don't know if this helps or hurts your impression of Alex Kidd but it was originally going to be a licensed Dragonball game based off the original stuff before the deal fell through and they retooled it as an original IP

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
BeatEmUps and Arlo. Beatemups definitely regularly does eshop bundle videos where he goes over the best new releases.

I do like me some Arlo and watch BeatEmUps -- especially like his list videos, but I'm on a break after his recent "look at me unboxing this mountain of fan gifts, please don't send me fan gifts -- here's my address" videos, which are kinda weird. What sucks about SwitchUp being shit and SwitchWatch possibly leaning into the alt-right crowd is that they focus almost exclusively on eShop reviews, and lots of 'em.

I am going to write to him too. Need to watch the review myself, but I'm guessing multiple messages will help.

Awesome. He hasn't replied to any of the YouTube comments, I see (although someone in the comments is complaining that we're complaining about it on that hive of progressive scum, Resetera). Update on SwitchUp, though: They replied to someone who said that they unsubscribed due to the "SJW brigade" comment with "Seeya!," so officially fuck SwitchUp.

How crazy difficult is that one? Any accessibility features? Had my eye on it for a while -- I kinda love bullet-hell shooters, but am also kinda shit at bullet-hell shooters.

Last edited:

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Redout looks more fun than Fast RMX (which I never played), but $40 is a hard pill to swallow. Would buyt it at $20.

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
How crazy difficult is that one? Any accessibility features? Had my eye on it for a while -- I kinda love bullet-hell shooters, but am also kinda shit at bullet-hell shooters.
Even for someone like myself who has managed to 1CC a few bullet-hells (including the first loop of Dodonpachi), Danmaku Unlimited 3 gives me a lot of trouble.

It's a good game, but damned tough.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
This Mario Rabbids Donkey Kong DLC is fantastic. Lotsa love, substantial amount of content, great visual design and DK is an absolute beast to play as.

Plus they kept the best original cast member, i.e., Rabbid Peach

It's a little on the easy side.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

1upsuper

Jan 30, 2018
If you wanna get his goat, just tell him Shantae sucks.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World is a real stinker. I groaned when I played my first Sega Ages game on Switch and saw Alex Kidd in the startup cinematic because I knew the Kidd was coming.

Speaking of M2 wasting their talents, I hope the Switch eventually gets their Spelunker collection which was on PS3/Vita. I unironically love Spelunker.