• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
If you wanna get his goat, just tell him Shantae sucks.

Alex Kidd in Miracle World is a real stinker. I groaned when I played my first Sega Ages game on Switch and saw Alex Kidd in the startup cinematic because I knew the Kidd was coming.

Speaking of M2 wasting their talents, I hope the Switch eventually gets their Spelunker collection which was on PS3/Vita. I love Spelunker.

Damn, you've got a good memory. lol I'll fight anyone who dares to throw shade on best purple-haired genie girl. TO THE DEATH.

Glad to see I'm not alone in my appraisal of Alex Kidd. I just can't fathom how anyone can sing its praises unless they're wearing extra large nostalgia goggles, or they're the most apologetic SEGA fan in existence.

Thankfully most of the upcoming games in the SEGA AGES line-up are shaping up to be much more promising and worthy of the M2 treatment.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
So I'm playing Stardew Valley and I'm having a great time with it, but I feel in the mood to play something with more action or platforming elements, preferably something meaty and suited for portability. Bonus points if I don't have to think too much during gameplay lol. I see some games are on sale and that look interesting:

Child of Light
Fast RMX (I already have Wipeout Collection on PS4 but I prefer playing games on my Switch tbh)
Bastion
Rayman Legends (although I'm waiting for a price drop on the physical edition)

Other games not on sale but are interesting to me:
Shovel Knight (btw what happened with the physical edition? can't find it anywhere in Mexico :/)
Hollow Knight
Cuphead (looks awesome and I would have bought it inmediately but I don't know if I should wait for a physical release)

Anyway, I'm open for any recommendations, specially if the games are on sale. I love platformers, faves are Yoshi Island and the Mario series, Stardew Valley is the first time I got an indie game and I don't regret it at all :P

PepsimanVsJoe

Oct 26, 2017
I like some aspects of Inferno Climber: Reborn.
However, the frame-rate is just the worst, especially for a game that wouldn't look out of place on the Playstation 1.

Lylo

Oct 25, 2017
So I'm playing Stardew Valley and I'm having a great time with it, but I feel in the mood to play something with more action or platforming elements, preferably something meaty and suited for portability. Bonus points if I don't have to think too much during gameplay lol. I see some games are on sale and that look interesting:

Child of Light
Fast RMX (I already have Wipeout Collection on PS4 but I prefer playing games on my Switch tbh)
Bastion

Shovel Knight (btw what happened with the physical edition? can't find it anywhere in Mexico :/)
Hollow Knight
Cuphead (looks awesome and I would have bought it inmediately but I don't know if I should wait for a physical release)

Anyway, I'm open for any recommendations, specially if the games are on sale. I love platformers, faves are Yoshi Island and the Mario series, Stardew Valley is the first time I got an indie game and I don't regret it at all :P

Splasher in a great platformer from one of the designers of Rayman Legends, i think it's on sale in the Mexican eShop right now. Also, you mentioned Hollow Knight and while it's not on sale right now and doesn't have many platforming elements, it's ridiculous cheap for the amount of content it offers and it's considered by many one of the best metroidvanias ever made.

daripad

The Fallen
Oct 29, 2017
Splasher in a great platformer from one of the designers of Rayman Legends, i think it's on sale in the Mexican eShop right now. Also, you mentioned Hollow Knight and while it's not on sale right now and doesn't have many platforming elements, it's ridiculous cheap for the amount of content it offers and it's considered by many one of the best metroidvanias ever made.

Huh, that Splasher game looks interesting, looks like a 2D Splatoon (the single player is a platformer too). Will check it out, thanks!

MYeager

Oct 30, 2017
Got Super Blood Hockey on sale and that's a great hockey game and the first one where I've won because nearly the entire opposing team died.

Yasawas

Oct 27, 2017
That's a shame about SwitchUp, and I can't tolerate SwitchWatch anyway because the writing is appalling. I think BudgetGamer is the only enjoyable eShop-focused channel I can find which is a little odd.

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
That's a shame about SwitchUp, and I can't tolerate SwitchWatch anyway because the writing is appalling. I think BudgetGamer is the only enjoyable eShop-focused channel I can find which is a little odd.

Yeah, SwitchUp has repeatedly taken a juvenile "okay bye" tone to the few people in the comments section who have mentioned un-subbing due to the "SJW" comment; that means they've been given multiple chances to simply say "that's not who we are" and be done with it, but have refrained from doing so -- which means they can fuck right off. More gaming YouTubers with the stink of the alt-right on 'em is the last fucking thing we need.

Thanks for the BudgetGamer recommendation, that's exactly the type of eShop-focused coverage I'm looking for.

I should also mention that Wulff Den is solid and they seem like good folks. Bob Wulff does the occasional eShop list video, like this one from today. I can't vouch for his character yet, but I'm liking what I'm seeing of The Flannel Fox -- not a whole ton of reviews, but he focuses a lot on Switch eShop RPGs and rogue-likes, which is neat.

Last edited:

Ninjadom

Oct 25, 2017
London, UK
Wow I only just saw now that Blades of Time is releasing on switch today, that's awesome, while the game isn't amazing I quite enjoyed it back on the PS3, really hope performance is good on the Switch as I'd love to support the title.

I mentioned it above your post. How is it? Is it like Bayonetta?

Any word on cadence of hyrule?
Nothing. Most recent update is that it now has an eShop page in the Coming Soon section.

Celine

Oct 26, 2017

Child of Light
Bastion

Hollow Knight

Kero Blaster is on sale.
It is a sidescrolling action game by Pixel (author of Cave Story) which nail perfectly the mood of japanese games of the same kind of the late '80 and early '90.
However it's not very meaty in term of length.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Awesome. He hasn't replied to any of the YouTube comments, I see (although someone in the comments is complaining that we're complaining about it on that hive of progressive scum, Resetera).

Update on SwitchWatch: Jordan sent me a reply a few hours ago and seemed quite surprised by all of this. He said he'll send me a more detailed answer later today, when he's done working.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I finished Shakedown Hawai this week end (I played A LOT). I found it great, though not flawless. FIrst of all, I wanted to say that the NintendoLife review is absolutely dishonest, the game's joke do not only revolve only around the fact that the CEO is disconnected from the modern days; the game is genuinely funny and takes jabs at many trends such as green washing and so on. Definitely a strong point of the game.
Gameplay was lots of fun, the cover system is actually well implemented and the twin stick gun fights genuinely fun. It often gets messy on the screen but that wasn't an issue for me.
The world itself is beautiful and well designed, and the characters and vehicles control really well. The music is a good fit also.
My main grip with the game is that it felt unfinished in some aspects; first of all, you don't really manage anything, you just purchase properties which you upgrade but I never really felt like I was playing a game when did so. After a few hours of upgrading my businesses, I was drowning in money and buying /upgrading new stuff felt like a chore which didn't really influenced the game as a whole. Same, while I like the idea of choosing your own salary and having a wallet linked to your company's profit, it felt under used by the game's mechanics, as you rarely purchase stuff in the city. I was also disappointed not to feel more involved in some things such as providing coffee to my shops, or stealing from houses. The game shows you that it's possible, but I never actually felt the need to do it.
Overall, I still give the game a solid 8/10. It could have been a 9 if some of the gameplay mechanics were not undercooked.

SwitchWatch

May 15, 2019
Hey guys,

Jordan here from SwitchWatch. I created this account specifically to address some issues brought up with my script for the Saints Row review.

Firstly, I'm (pleasantly) surprised to see our name reaching these parts of 'net, makes my mind blown considering this time last year we were so tiny.

Some of you said you'd reach out to me on Twitter and I did receive a message from one of you, but due to my privacy settings (which I swear I've tried changing dozens of times), it was put in the 'request' tab which I didn't notice until now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Regarding my comments in the Saints Row video, I just want to clarify that I'm not right wing at all. I can understand why a statement like the one I made could believe you to think that, but I do often forget that none of our viewers know me personally. If you did, you would know I'm nothing close to being right wing. Sometimes I do like to have a cheeky poke in my videos at various thing, but that's just my style and humour and it can often be taken the wrong way or too seriously if I make it too dry or misjudge delivery etc. I mean, I've been called both a soy-boy and right wing at various points, even within the same video, for something I've said or, even worse - for something I didn't say.

Long story short, don't worry and don't take my jibes too seriously and I'll try to be more aware in the future.

Some said that we didn't reply to comments about this in the comments section. Well, usually we reply to every single comment (as long as we can make sense of it) but when a video blows up in this style then it can be almost a full-time job keeping up with them baring in mind we all have real full-time jobs and young families to take care of. We try our best in this regard, but games like Saints Row and the Final Fantasy games bring in so many comments and discussion it's very difficult to keep on top.

Also, I'd like to jump in with a couple of channel suggestions:

SwitchedOn is a cool dude who deserves more subs: https://www.youtube.com/c/SwitchedOn

H-Bob-omb provides nice compact reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTzX4hLneuHXbzjJdtFANhg

If there's anything I've missed addressing, let me know!

Boy Wander

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
UK
Thanks for the heads-up mate. I very rarely watch YouTube videos about games anyway, but I'll know to avoid those two in the future.

Just watched the Switch watch review and there is absolutely no "rant" at all. What a load of shit. He basically just mentions that there's content in the game that back in the day people would laugh off and nowadays some might get offended by. That's it. Wonder what Barns ulterior motive is here?

Snarfington

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Did Super Crate Box never come out in April? Don't see it on UK eShop still and I was checking basically every day for a while.

Chris1215

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Indianapolis
Hey guys,

Jordan here from SwitchWatch. I created this account specifically to address some issues brought up with my script for the Saints Row review.

Firstly, I'm (pleasantly) surprised to see our name reaching these parts of 'net, makes my mind blown considering this time last year we were so tiny.

Some of you said you'd reach out to me on Twitter and I did receive a message from one of you, but due to my privacy settings (which I swear I've tried changing dozens of times), it was put in the 'request' tab which I didn't notice until now. Thanks for bringing this to my attention!

Regarding my comments in the Saints Row video, I just want to clarify that I'm not right wing at all. I can understand why a statement like the one I made could believe you to think that, but I do often forget that none of our viewers know me personally. If you did, you would know I'm nothing close to being right wing. Sometimes I do like to have a cheeky poke in my videos at various thing, but that's just my style and humour and it can often be taken the wrong way or too seriously if I make it too dry or misjudge delivery etc. I mean, I've been called both a soy-boy and right wing at various points, even within the same video, for something I've said or, even worse - for something I didn't say.

Long story short, don't worry and don't take my jibes too seriously and I'll try to be more aware in the future.

Some said that we didn't reply to comments about this in the comments section. Well, usually we reply to every single comment (as long as we can make sense of it) but when a video blows up in this style then it can be almost a full-time job keeping up with them baring in mind we all have real full-time jobs and young families to take care of. We try our best in this regard, but games like Saints Row and the Final Fantasy games bring in so many comments and discussion it's very difficult to keep on top.

SwitchedOn is a cool dude who deserves more subs: https://www.youtube.com/c/SwitchedOn

H-Bob-omb provides nice compact reviews: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCTzX4hLneuHXbzjJdtFANhg

Thanks for the response! For the record, I saw nothing wrong with your video review and found it entertaining. Congrats on all the success of the channel!

Ac30

Oct 30, 2017
London
Resolution has really taken a hit to keep it a stable 30fps. But overall, not bad in motion really.

NSwitchDS_Redout_02.jpg

That looks like absolute shit good lord
Redout looks more fun than Fast RMX (which I never played), but $40 is a hard pill to swallow. Would buyt it at $20.

It's good fun but after buying it at launch I'd wait for 50% off. Looks fantastic though.

bytesized

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Amsterdam
Hey guys,

I personally didn't think that what you said in the review was meant as an alt-right talking point and it's nice to see my suspicion confirmed.

I am almost 40 years old and if somebody makes the comment that some decades ago we had "thicker skin", that "we" didn't take offense at so many things and you were "allowed" to say whatever then I could agree (I mean, Seinfeld or friends would be completely unwelcomed in today's environment).

But, who had "thicker skin"? The minorities being joked about? Could it be that their voice was just not heard or given importance?

We cannot forget that this old environment was possible thanks to positions of privilege and ignorance when not outright bigotry from the culturally dominant group (basically white males).

Because of this I think that it is important to frame these sort of arguments in the right context and with a lot of care which I believe was missing in your review and I can definitely understand some people were more than suspicious about it.

Anyway, thanks for posting here, I might check your channel in the future.

Robin64

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
England
The SP version for NES Online this month is Star Soldier, where you start on S8 with loads of powerups.

OrakioRob

Oct 25, 2017
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil
Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for your reply. I'm a big, big fan of your reviews and I'm glad you're one of the good guys! ^_^

nicoga3000

Oct 25, 2017
Is there a good/recommended grip for long bouts of handheld play? I've got an 8 hour plane ride coming up and would love a more comfortable handheld experience with my Switch.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
No talk about Hopping girl here? It could be a good game for puzzle, platformer and speedrun fans.
2 player mode looks very fun too.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
Just in terms of eshop coverage, I quite like SwitchRPG.They have a mix of reviews, features and let's play videos of various smaller eshop RPGs/roguelites.

https://switchrpg.com/

Umm whoa! This is new to me and RPGs being my favorite genre, this site is a GOLD MINE people!!! Highly recommended after browsing for the last hour.

Thanks to SwitchRPG, I'm finally going to buy Block Quest Maker. They really liked it and go into a lot of detail about the game. Someone was asking about it in here recently so if you see this, go check out their review :)

Kraid

Oct 25, 2017
Cuck Zone
Is there a good/recommended grip for long bouts of handheld play? I've got an 8 hour plane ride coming up and would love a more comfortable handheld experience with my Switch.
I just bought a Satisfye grip and it's been good so far. It's very comfortable, but expensive. I had an Insignia grip before then, and it's nice, too. The issue I had is that I couldn't fit it in a case with the Insignia; so I got a slim Satisfye bundle.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Umm whoa! This is new to me and RPGs being my favorite genre, this site is a GOLD MINE people!!! Highly recommended after browsing for the last hour.

Thanks to SwitchRPG, I'm finally going to buy Block Quest Maker. They really liked it and go into a lot of detail about the game. Someone was asking about it in here recently so if you see this, go check out their review :)
After lurking this thread on a regular basis, I've finally provided something useful :D

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
No talk about Hopping girl here? It could be a good game for puzzle, platformer and speedrun fans.
2 player mode looks very fun too.

Nah, we'd all rather not get diabetes from something that sickeningly kawaii.

Killer robots like yourself need not worry about such things, but us mere mortals must consume our cutesy media under strict dietary guidelines.

It's serious stuff.

ʕっ˘ڡ˘ςʔ (✿◠‿◠)

Redwing19

Oct 28, 2017
I just bought a Satisfye grip and it's been good so far. It's very comfortable, but expensive. I had an Insignia grip before then, and it's nice, too. The issue I had is that I couldn't fit it in a case with the Insignia; so I got a slim Satisfye bundle.

I also will vouch for the Satisfye grip. I've been using it for about 6 months and the grip just makes the Switch a joy to play in handheld mode.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Nah, we'd all rather not get diabetes from something that sickeningly kawaii.

Killer robots like yourself need not worry about such things, but us mere mortals must consume our cutesy media under strict dietary guidelines.

It's serious stuff.

ʕっ˘ڡ˘ςʔ (✿◠‿◠)

maxresdefault.jpg

pidknlsh.jpg

Last edited:

Barn

Oct 27, 2017
Los Angeles
Hey guys,

Hey, Jordan, thanks so much for taking the time to register and reach out to us -- I really appreciate it. I was the guy who originally brought it up as making my ears prickle a bit, and I hope us Resetera folks didn't cause you too much hassle. I'm very glad to hear that you understand why it might've given me a bit of pause; certainly not enough to write SwitchWatch off, but just enough to make me think, "shit, I hope Jordan's not a YouTube crazy." A few years ago, I'd have thought nothing of it, but the unfortunate reality is that we're dealing with a gaming industry brimming with people that turn out to be harmful alt-right nutjobs, and that's combined with the minefield of extremist young white men (I say that as a young white man) that YouTube has become. In the States especially, that makes some of our radars extra-sensitive (and I understand you're dealing with your own brand of right-wing insanity in the UK).

You coming in to simply say, "hey, that's not who I am" is enough for me. It's incredibly disheartening that so many people in and around the gaming community can't bring themselves to do something so simple. So, again, thank you for that. I hope you pop into the forum from time to time, and I'll keep watching and recommending SwitchWatch. Much enjoyed James' Akane review, just now, in fact.

I personally didn't think that what you said in the review was meant as an alt-right talking point and it's nice to see my suspicion confirmed.

I am almost 40 years old and if somebody makes the comment that some decades ago we had "thicker skin", that "we" didn't take offense at so many things and you were "allowed" to say whatever then I could agree (I mean, Seinfeld or friends would be completely unwelcomed in today's environment).

But, who had "thicker skin"? The minorities being joked about? Could it be that their voice was just not heard or given importance?

We cannot forget that this old environment was possible thanks to positions of privilege and ignorance when not outright bigotry from the culturally dominant group (basically white males).

Because of this I think that it is important to frame these sort of arguments in the right context and with a lot of care which I believe was missing in your review and I can definitely understand some people were more than suspicious about it.

Anyway, thanks for posting here, I might check your channel in the future.

Just wanted to say that this is very well said. This frames it much better than I could.

Just watched the Switch watch review and there is absolutely no "rant" at all. What a load of shit. He basically just mentions that there's content in the game that back in the day people would laugh off and nowadays some might get offended by. That's it. Wonder what Barns ulterior motive is here?

Hahaha. No.

Anyway, back to the eShop, SwitchRPG is a great rec, Redcrayon. Also, we are drowning in Switch RPGs and that is a wonderful thing.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
The just fixed this in a update, it seems…

Thanks for the heads up!

With the new resolution in portable mode, now the game feels much better. And they also seem to have fixed the frame stuttering problem related with loading new sounds. Probably, because with the game rendered at a lower resolution, now they have more memory/processing power left.

All of that said, this update adds new problems not present in the previous version.

- They have fixed the problem with the collision boxes when you shoot with the shotgun. But they have added new collision problems. If you start a new run, in the prologue of the first chapter, there are some sections in which you need to jump over obstacles. Now, if you aren't in the exact center pixel, you can't avoid the obstacles. I can see a lot of new players stuck in this initial part, without being able to enter the mansion.

- Instead of creating two separated resolutions for the portable mode and the docked mode (like other games are doing, creating different UI sizes), they have discarded the old high resolution mode in docked mode. So in the previous version, the game looked much better in docked mode.

With the previous version, there was version parity with the other console releases if you were playing in docked mode. Now, in docked mode, the game looks much worse than in the rest of versions that are using higher resolutions / not zoomed sprites.

EDIT:

The story with the resolution of 'Lovecraft's Untold Stories' has a new dramatic turnaround.

I have found an unintentional method, not planned by the developers, for choosing between the low and the high resolution in portable/docked mode.

If you start the game in docked mode, the game will be rendered at high resolution. If you take the console of the dock, the game will continue rendered at a high resolution, without switching to the intended portable resolution.

In the same way, if you start in portable mode and then switch to the dock, the game will retain the low resolution/zoomed mode.

Last edited:

Fonst

Nov 16, 2017
oh damn. i can see how someone might be mocking Trump with that, but it also has the ring of support... or light-heatedness about something that isn't lighthearted. that's incredibly frustrating. un-subbing now.
Thanks for the heads up!

With the new resolution in portable mode, now the game feels much better. And they also seem to have fixed the frame stuttering problem related with loading new sounds. Probably, because with the game rendered at a lower resolution, now they have more memory/processing power left.

All of that said, this update adds new problems not present in the previous version.

- They have fixed the problem with the collision boxes when you shoot with the shotgun. But they have added new collision problems. If you start a new run, in the prologue of the first chapter, there are some sections in which you need to jump over obstacles. Now, if you aren't in the exact center pixel, you can't avoid the obstacles. I can see a lot of new players stuck in this initial part, without being able to enter the mansion.

- Instead of creating two separated resolutions for the portable mode and the docked mode (like other games are doing, creating different UI sizes), they have discarded the old high resolution mode in docked mode. So in the previous version, the game looked much better in docked mode.

With the previous version, there was version parity with the other console releases if you were playing in docked mode. Now, in docked mode, the game looks much worse than in the rest of versions that are using higher resolutions / not zoomed sprites.

EDIT:

The story with the resolution of 'Lovecraft's Untold Stories' has a new dramatic turnaround.

I have found an unintentional method, not planned by the developers, for choosing between the low and the high resolution in portable/docked mode.

If you start the game in docked mode, the game will be rendered at high resolution. If you take the console of the dock, the game will continue rendered at a high resolution, without switching to the intended portable resolution.

In the same way, if you start in portable mode and then switch to the dock, the game will retain the low resolution/zoomed mode.

What is going on here? I was so excited about this game and now I am wondering if i should bother.