• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'd love to and really wanted to get the digital version thru that weird HK eShop but dunno how.
I'd love to have a physical copy but don't want to fork €80 (import taxes) and then hardly play the game... these super long RPGs I need in digital form otherwise I'm going to play them much, much less

I'm keen to play it. If anyone figures a way how (without having to pay for an import), please let me know.

Dash Kappei

Nov 1, 2017
You guys should throw kisses at me, just like that I asked and BAM! here comes Konami with the megaton 15 minutes later...
...obviously they're doing it coz they care about me 😆

I'm keen to play it. If anyone figures a way how (without having to pay for an import), please let me know.
I will, you do the same please :)

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Okay, this is totally OT, but I can't seem to find anywhere to ask and I basically live in this thread, so...
Is anyone else unable to click any of the icons above the edit post form? I can't format, link, nuthin.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Japanese ROM and TATE mode support is on its way to Konami Arcade Classics: https://www.resetera.com/threads/ko...cant-help-you-now.112220/page-4#post-20833925

Seeing how the TATE mode is listed as a Switch only feature, it seems that they will make the same shitty thing of the 'SNK 40th Anniversary Collection', of only allowing TATE mode in portable mode.

As cool as is to play in portable mode with the Flip Grip, for shmups full of small bullets I want to play in a big vertical oriented monitor.

But it's better than nothing, I suppose.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Can someone remind me why megaman legacy collection is so expensive digitally? Even on sale (and the first collection isn't on sale for some reason) it's just about the price of the physical version. Am I missing something?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Capcom's back, baby!

Love that Switch tax.

I mean, charging 30 bucks on sale for Monster Hunter Generations Ultimate when Monster Hunter World on other platforms was on sale for 20 can be called a switch tax. This is like a digital tax? Like both Megaman and Megaman X Legacy collections come with 1+2 for 30 bucks physical retail, no sales, no GCU, why is digital so much more expensive? Isn't it usually the opposite (as far as retail price goes before sales?)

edited to add: Monster Hunter also got a price drop to retail 40 bucks physical but not digital.

Last edited:

AceyPrime

May 16, 2018
I've been playing a LOT of DragonFangZ over the past week or so and if you like true rogue-likes (not rogue-lites!) I can't recommend it enough. Incredibly addictive with a really interesting mechanic based on the fangs that randomly drop from enemies. Lots of strategic choices to make about which fangs to equip for their abilities/bonuses and which to offer/sacrifice for their one-time bonus. The music is enjoyable and relaxing and the game feels tough but fair like a rogue-like should. I completed the 10-level dungeon a few times but after many attempts still haven't beaten the 30-level dungeon. The nonsensical story and less-than-quality translation are easily ignored to get to the good stuff: the gameplay.

CloAtv7.jpg

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
But you have to redeem 1 for an eligible game right away, right? So if I only want one eligible game (preordering Mario Maker 2), I can't buy two pairs?
As far as I know you can just buy them and sit on them until the (eligible) games you want are available. It's basically buying two "get a select game for free" coupons. I'm seriously tempted to get a pair and wait for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Pokemon Sword/Shield.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
As far as I know you can just buy them and sit on them until the (eligible) games you want are available. It's basically buying two "get a select game for free" coupons. I'm seriously tempted to get a pair and wait for Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 and Pokemon Sword/Shield.

Wow it takes it from eshop funds too. So you can get a slight discount on eshop points and buy these. But you get your gold coins from buying the voucher, not from when you buy the game, which makes sense.

So protip, if you're in the US and a costco member load up on 50 dollar digital cards for 44.99 before you purchase these.

deadfolk

Oct 25, 2017
Has anyone seen mention of whether there's a time limit on the Nintendo vouchers? As in, will they only be available for a limited time?

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Has anyone seen mention of whether there's a time limit on the Nintendo vouchers? As in, will they only be available for a limited time?
Fans with a paid Nintendo Switch Online membership can purchase a pair of Nintendo Switch Game Vouchers for just $99.99 through July 31, 2019.

also the vouchers can only be used up to a year after you purchase them (so if you don't see a game you want, wait until 7/31)

Now watch them shift all the release dates to past 8/1/2020.

ghibli99

Oct 27, 2017
More recently have picked up Art of Balance, Shovel Knight: Treasure Trove, Dark Souls Remastered, and one of the Stern Pinball Arcade packs. Good stuff!

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017
Oh vouchers go off sale 7/31/19?? Better get a couple then. I thought it was a perma thing for NSO subs.

Epilexia

Jan 27, 2018
Picked up 'Sundered: Eldritch Edition' with the recent sale. While I received a lot of recommendations from friends with a similar taste, my expectations weren't too high.

The first half hour was really boring, until the point of thinking that this was one of the worst designed games that I have played in a long time. A game inspired in 'Metroid', but with long and boring empty rooms without secrets, simply randomly throwing at your face waves of dumb enemies, without even thinking in how to use the scenario for the balance of the combat.

But once the game starts to reveal all its mechanics and the scenarios start to evolve, in the same way as the enemies and the combat... this has become one of the essential games of this generation.

And a genre defining game, giving clever answers to the question of how to construct an open world with randomized parts.

It's half 'Super Metroid', half 'Binding of Isaac', with a progression system looking at 'Diablo' and other looting games.

But the impressive part is how every convention from a genre serves to strengthen the weakness of the other genres.

Every time that a new world is generated, the rooms are rearranged. But in the map, you can see in a dark tone the already visited sections, and in a white tone the ones that you still haven't explored.

In this way, they solve the problem of the backtracking in open world designs, and at the same time the problem of repetition and permadeath in roguelikes.

Because when you die, this feels like an opportunity to explore the map reaching new sections, eliminating the backtracking.

The map is masterfully integrated in the UI of the game, in a way in which you don't even need to push a button and is always active.

So at the end, the game loop is immensely addictive, dying, using the collected orbs to upgrade your character with a skill tree inspired in 'Final Fantasy X', and quickly starting other run looking through the map for rooms and sections that you haven't visited yet. It simply works: it's fun and satisfactory.

And at the same time, the scenarios and the enemies will evolve with your progression.

In a way in which new elements and traps will appear.

And the previous big open and empty rooms will reveal as carefully designed arenas, in which every element or platform has a purpose to make interesting the combat.

I hate action games heavily relying in a loot/farming system to improve your character, even more if they are roguelites. And I hate roguelites with the basis of constructing big open worlds looking at 'Metroid', because at the end the permadeath part lends to repetition. Or it becomes a weakness, because this limits the possibilities of the level design through the placement of enemies and platforms.

But thanks to how each element interact with the others in 'Sundered', at the end it feels like a cohesive and unique experience.

mrmoose

Nov 13, 2017
Jackbox is great no matter what you play it on. Shovel Knight Treasure Trove is an absolutely brilliant game.

Jackbox requires you use something like a phone as a controller though, right? It always seems to me like that kind of party game is better on a tv, which kind of makes the portability of the switch moot. If that's you're only console, than fine, but otherwise I think it's basically cheaper on any other console or computer.

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
Looks like the Deadcells DLC will go up on the 23rd of May. Saw the page for it on the eShop earlier.

Yep https://www.nintendo-insider.com/free-dead-cells-rise-of-the-giant-dlc-out-next-week/

Motion Twin has announced that the free Dead Cells: Rise of the Giant downloadable content will release next week.

To become available on Thursday 23rd May, this will introduce a new biome and boss for you to take on.

ThankDougie

Banned
Nov 12, 2017
Buffalo
Picked up 'Sundered: Eldritch Edition' with the recent sale. While I received a lot of recommendations from friends with a similar taste, my expectations weren't too high.

The first half hour was really boring, until the point of thinking that this was one of the worst designed games that I have played in a long time. A game inspired in 'Metroid', but with long and boring empty rooms without secrets, simply randomly throwing at your face waves of dumb enemies, without even thinking in how to use the scenario for the balance of the combat.

But once the game starts to reveal all its mechanics and the scenarios start to evolve, in the same way as the enemies and the combat... this has become one of the essential games of this generation.

And a genre defining game, giving clever answers to the question of how to construct an open world with randomized parts.

It's half 'Super Metroid', half 'Binding of Isaac', with a progression system looking at 'Diablo' and other looting games.

But the impressive part is how every convention from a genre serves to strengthen the weakness of the other genres.

Every time that a new world is generated, the rooms are rearranged. But in the map, you can see in a dark tone the already visited sections, and in a white tone the ones that you still haven't explored.

In this way, they solve the problem of the backtracking in open world designs, and at the same time the problem of repetition and permadeath in roguelikes.

Because when you die, this feels like an opportunity to explore the map reaching new sections, eliminating the backtracking.

The map is masterfully integrated in the UI of the game, in a way in which you don't even need to push a button and is always active.

So at the end, the game loop is immensely addictive, dying, using the collected orbs to upgrade your character with a skill tree inspired in 'Final Fantasy X', and quickly starting other run looking through the map for rooms and sections that you haven't visited yet. It simply works: it's fun and satisfactory.

And at the same time, the scenarios and the enemies will evolve with your progression.

And the previous big open and empty rooms will reveal as carefully designed arenas, in which every element or platform has a purpose to make interesting the combat.

I hate action games heavily relying in a loot/farming system to improve your character, even more if they are roguelites. And I hate roguelites with the basis of constructing big open worlds looking at 'Metroid', because at the end the permadeath part lends to repetition. Or it becomes a weakness, because this limits the possibilities of the level design through the placement of enemies and platforms.

But thanks to how each element interact with the others in 'Sundered', at the end it feels like a cohesive and unique experience.

WOW. I've heard good and bad about this game, but nothing as strong and convinced as this review. Looks like I'm picking it up after all.

Shibata100

Oct 29, 2017
Does Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Plus R go up in the eshop today. Can't see it and nothing comes up when I search for for it.

No Depth

Oct 27, 2017

I too went through this same cycle a couple years ago with Sundered.

A game I kind of loathed upfront...but kept playing out of curiosity and some slight optimism about where the mechanics and unlocks wre headed.

Chipping away with a podcast here and there.... Conquering that massive skill tree with new upgrades or boosts with every run...
Being impressed at the scale and enormity of the bosses...

Suddenly I'm at the end and I genuinely enjoyed the game and how it came together as a package.

But yes, not a great early game.