• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

HomespunFur

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
O yeah. I've only won 2 games but Maximus feels so much easier. I was just practicing how to do T-Spins in my last game and ended up getting 2nd lol. Meanwhile Invictus kicks my ass and best I've gotta is 10th place.

I only tried it once and didn't get any KOs and got like 66th place or something.
Definitely a step up that I don't think I will ever get first place in, just happy I can at least try that mode now.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I'm so in the mood for XCOM like SRPG's on Switch.

I already have Mario Rabbids, Hard West, Fire Emblem, Banner Saga, Steamworld Heist and Valkyria Chronicles 4. Also, I have the awesome Divinity 2 on PC. Any other suggestions? How is Wasteland 2 on Switch?

Kinda considering double dipping on Divinity 2, but I want to see more reports on late game performance. Also maybe wait for a sale, it's a bit steep right now (even though it's totally worth it if it's your first time).

Last edited:

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

I already have Mario Rabbids, Hard West, Fire Emblem, Banner Saga, Steamworld Heist and Valkyria Chronicles 4. Also, I have the awesome Divinity 2 on PC. Any other suggestions? How is Wasteland 2 on Switch?

Kinda considering double dipping on Divinity 2, but I want to see more reports on late game performance. Also maybe wait for a sale, it's a bit steep right now (even though it's totally worth it if it's your first time).

Phantom Doctrine?

Deleted member 33571

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 17, 2017
Oooh here's an exciting one that i've been looking forward to: Crossniq+ comes out on 10/4/19. It's an arcadey/action-puzzle game with extremely heavy dreamcast-era/designers republic-esque visual influence, it looks like a lot of fun

JakeNoseIt

Catch My Drift
Verified
Oct 27, 2017
Oooh here's an exciting one that i've been looking forward to: Crossniq+ comes out on 10/4/19. It's an arcadey/action-puzzle game with extremely heavy dreamcast-era/designers republic-esque visual influence, it looks like a lot of fun

A friend of a friend worked on this and I have been promised that it's hype

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Neat! I've been following this for months and I was growing impatient waiting for a release date. Nice price too, I'm in.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Everyone should check out River City Girls.
I just finished it and it's one of the better beat em ups I've played in a while.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
it's the next game from the team that did Hard West & IMO improved on it in every way (also it's set during the Cold War which I just found fascinating)

think a spy fic XCOM
Nice! I did some research and the game is even on sale. While I'm looking for something more combat focused, this is pretty close and it's even on sale. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm probably going to get it. How is the Switch port?

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
Everyone should check out River City Girls.
I just finished it and it's one of the better beat em ups I've played in a while.

I'm a big WayForward fan and typically buy their stuff on release, but I had to sit this one out and wait for a sale since $30 is just too much for me right now. I have to wonder how much sway Arc System Works had on the final price since it's not characteristic of WF to ask for more than $20 for their games. Heck, most 2D indies very rarely go beyond that price-point, so it's a gutsy move, for sure.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
RCG is one of Wayforward's most polished titles ever and pretty much the Kunio game with the strongest presentation since the Neo Geo Dodgeball game, so I'm okay with the price. Game is phenomenal.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
Blasphemous is out in EU with a 10% discount.

22.50€ so ine assumes NA will be $22.50 also, lasts until September 29th.

Last edited:

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
I'm a big WayForward fan and typically buy their stuff on release, but I had to sit this one out and wait for a sale since $30 is just too much for me right now. I have to wonder how much sway Arc System Works had on the final price since it's not characteristic of WF to ask for more than $20 for their games. Heck, most 2D indies very rarely go beyond that price-point, so it's a gutsy move, for sure.
I probably would have waited for a price drop but a friend gave me a $50 eShop card so I pulled the trigger. The game is great though and definitely one of WF's best.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I don't know about the EU store but in the american one at least Blasphemous isn't up for pre purchase.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Yeah I hope it has the discount here too and the port is good. It's one of my most anticipated games of the month.

Deleted member 9857

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Nice! I did some research and the game is even on sale. While I'm looking for something more combat focused, this is pretty close and it's even on sale. Thanks for the suggestion, I'm probably going to get it. How is the Switch port?

load times are kinda bad but otherwise I don't remember anything else too bad

sadly I don't think it's ever been patched

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone
RCG is one of Wayforward's most polished titles ever and pretty much the Kunio game with the strongest presentation since the Neo Geo Dodgeball game, so I'm okay with the price. Game is phenomenal.
I probably would have waited for a price drop but a friend gave me a $50 eShop card so I pulled the trigger. The game is great though and definitely one of WF's best.

Well it's currently #6 and #3 on the US and JP download-only charts, respectively, so it seems the price wasn't a barrier for a lot of people. I'm glad it's selling well since I really enjoy WayForward's output as a studio, but if RCG's success spurs them to also launch the upcoming Shantae at $30, it better offer significantly more content than past games in the series to back that price-point up. But I digress.

Zonic

Oct 25, 2017
Guess it's worth mentioning firmware 9.0 is up & there's an update for controllers as well.

.....still no folders or themes. Though there is touch screen sensitivity to "stylus" if you want, which may be helpful for something like Super Mario Maker 2.

brassica

Oct 26, 2017
France
Might wanna play on Casual (six revives) or in Unchained Mode if things get too shakey.

What is exactly the problem? I assume you're still just at the first (Sword) Legion? Anyway, this goes for all but you hit ZL to send whichever Legion you have at the targeted enemy. That is pretty much the main part of it.

Yep, I am at the part where everyone loses their legions.
Thanks, I think the bolded part will help!

I've played Platinum games before and have been fairly good at them, but had huge difficulties grasping the gameplay at first. I think the best tip I can give is to not care about failures too much and just keep pushing forwards. Not only will you learn to be better at it, but once the game begins to give you new tools the combat system starts to play and feel more than a bit different from the early hours, at least that's how I've felt.

I persevered and got passed it but lost 4 or 5 batteries in the process ;_;

You can rush your legion to attack a targeted enemy by tapping ZL. You attack using ZR

If you want to cover large distances , send your legion to a far away enemy and use that as an opportunity to Chain Jump to that enemy. Doing so also opens enemy up for a mid air juggle.

Your legion and your character both have the same combos: rotate 360 and attack, back forward and attack, attack + delay+ attack. All three open up sync attack opportunities. These have to be unlocked in the legion learning grid in the menus first.

I think the bolded part is what I missed from the training : all I was doing was getting my legion out, then manually move it next to its target, or surround it to get it chained then get close to the target and attack.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
So River City Girls runs OK?

I read about random crashing and some slowdowns in the OT so I was holding off until it got either a sale and/or got fixed, but if it's perfect now, I might just jump in.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

Never played it myself but I only heard great stories about Mutant Year Zero: Road to Eden.

^this!! Definitely Mutant Year Zero is what you wanna look at. Also Phantom Doctrine. Chroma Squad too. Ambition of the Slimes has been highly praised here before as well, go get that. Tactics V: Obsidian Brigade just came out as well!
Yep, I am at the part where everyone loses their legions.
Thanks, I think the bolded part will help!

I think the bolded part is what I missed from the training : all I was doing was getting my legion out, then manually move it next to its target, or surround it to get it chained then get close to the target and attack.
Chain jump!!!

This is the core part of the game. Throw Legion at enemy or move it somewhere, hold ZL, then press ZR to pull yourself to it. There's a lot of platforming later on that depends on this and it is a crucial part of combat, too!

Last edited:

brassica

Oct 26, 2017
France
^this!! Definitely Mutant Year Zero is what you wanna look at. Also Phantom Doctrine. Chroma Squad too. Ambition of the Slimes has been highly praised here before as well, go get that. Tactics V: Obsidian Brigade just came out as well!

Chain jump!!!
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mu...-evil-expansion-ot-the-moose-is-loose.132015/
This is the core part of the game. Throw Legion at enemy or move it somewhere, hold ZL, then press ZR to pull yourself to it. There's a lot of platforming later on that depends on this and it is a crucial part of combat, too!

Your link is wrong I think.

Jonnykong

Oct 27, 2017
Blasphemous looks good but I most certainly do not have the time for it at the moment, not with Link's Awakening out so soon, and I'm still playing through Super Metroid..

Oct 29, 2017

Have a look at the Disgaea games.

Malverde

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
I ordered a physical copy of River City Girls which likely pushes it to an October release for me. My brother and I ended up playing through all of River City Ransom on the NES online this weekend and that was a ton of fun to go through.

Ellen and the Ultimate Alliance DLC seem like the only sure things this month. The Sinking City and Blasphemous totally look like my kinds of jams but I am holding out hope for a physical release down the road. I am currently almost done with the campaign in Hell is Other Demons and that game is super super great.

Anyone here play Gato Roboto? What did you think?

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Left Blasphemous downloading before leaving home, yeah I can't wait.

I wasn't expecting it to go up so early tho, same with the Celeste update yesterday, is this a new thing?
So River City Girls runs OK?

I read about random crashing and some slowdowns in the OT so I was holding off until it got either a sale and/or got fixed, but if it's perfect now, I might just jump in.
It's weird, I played through the game twice in co-op and didn't encounter a single crash; I wonder what's triggering those.

Framerate is generally stable 60FPS at least in docked mode. A couple of specific areas showed some slight slowdown when more than 3 or 4 enemies were on screen, but it's very negligible IMO (and others show none despite having more enemies on screen).

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
I ordered a physical copy of River City Girls which likely pushes it to an October release for me. My brother and I ended up playing through all of River City Ransom on the NES online this weekend and that was a ton of fun to go through.

Ellen and the Ultimate Alliance DLC seem like the only sure things this month. The Sinking City and Blasphemous totally look like my kinds of jams but I am holding out hope for a physical release down the road. I am currently almost done with the campaign in Hell is Other Demons and that game is super super great.

Anyone here play Gato Roboto? What did you think?

its ok, especially if youre into metroidvanias, its a cute little (as in, very short) well done one of those. Helps that it was cheap at launch (had like 15 or 20% launch discount)

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Btw no discount on Blasphemous in the US store... Was hoping to be left with enough change to get an ACA Neo Geo game :(

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017

Chain jump!!!
https://www.resetera.com/threads/mu...-evil-expansion-ot-the-moose-is-loose.132015/

Man, I wish! Unfortunately, apparently the Switch port is total dogshit, especially in handheld. :(

Machspeed007

Nov 25, 2017

Mutant Year Zero.

Great game.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Your link is wrong I think.
Stupid forum bug putting links /formats all over posts if you try to format anything in a post. -.-"

Man, I wish! Unfortunately, apparently the Switch port is total dogshit, especially in handheld. :(
Well as you can read in the OT, the port is not total dogshit at all, it got a massive upgrade patch for docked mode mostly (and another bugfix patch just a few days ago). It's still got a few issues like small hitches and handheld mode is still a bit blurry but in a pixely kind of way but it is most definitely serviceable. It runs well otherwise and is very much playable and an excellent game. No legit reason not to buy it for someone who's into XCOM-likes.

here's a post patch handheld mode shot
EEGroFTUUAAnunx.jpg

Tunesmith

Fraud & Player Security
Verified
Oct 25, 2017
I have around 30 hours put into the port personally, I really like the game overall but it is the opposite of combat focused. If you get into combat you screwed up and 80% of the time you're dead or get severe lingering consequences in the campaign.

The investigation aspect between missions is entertaining to me, but be aware you spend about 50% of the game connecting clues in order to initiate further missions. The missions themselves can drag on a bit after a while once you've seen the permutations on offer, they're pretty similar in structure.

In short I would rate the Switch port as OK but you can definitely tell they cut corners to get it on the Switch.
Controls have been adapted pretty well and you get used to them quickly.
Frame rate targets 30fps and takes a hit in the form of stutters here and there during game play and some menus are sluggish to L/R tab between on occasion.
Graphics are on the UGLY side when zoomed in but you don't need to zoom in very often, some intro/outro cutscenes are monster-factory level of hideous.

Not too many reasons to post Wii U eShop news nowadays, but this one's a real winner:

giphy.gif
A 5-year music license expiring I'm guessing.

The Cellar Letters

lmayo
Oct 25, 2017
Even though it would only be 10%, no discount on Blasphemous on switch completely put me off from buying it. It's discounted everywhere else.