• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Why did you find it disappointing?
I thought it tried to do way too many things but didn't nail any of them except the presentation, which is stunning in all fronts. The pacing was pretty bad, the mini games became more more annoying as the game went on, it aimed to be story focused but the plot and characters were mostly dull and god, the combat annoyances.

The combat is so amateurish I had a hard time I was playing a PG title let alone one supervised by Kamiya. Enemies are very aggressive and have long combos, which shouldn't be a problem because you have perfect dodges with followup attacks... Except the latter have no invincibility frames so you can easily get stun locked by enemies after performing perfect dodges, it's maddening.

I had never disliked something made by Platinum Games so I barely needed to have any info on this to buy it, but man did I get burned out. Maybe disappointing isn't the word because I had no expectations other than it being good, but it was a truly baffling experience, I'm still in disbelief.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
^as a counter point, I had no issues with the combat at all (other than often falling into a pit after pulling myself towards an enemy floating over certain death)

stan_marsh

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Canada
The mini games in Astral Chain are all optional lol

I'm almost done the game and the combat is amazing, people need to spend time in the training area and practice.

Never got stun locked once in my current (File 9, 32 hour, PT Standard) playthrough.

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can't decide on Deamon X. I enjoyed the demo for what it was, but never felt the need to jump back into it once I finished a mission. So its longevity worries me slightly. I'll get it if the reviews are glowing though, which.. I feel like this'll be that "if-you're -looking-for-this-type-of-game-then-this'll-be-your-jam" type of game, so we'll see. Oh well, If i don't pick it up, it'll give me an excuse to pick up Blasphemous and River City Girls.

I thought it tried to do way too many things but didn't nail any of them except the presentation, which is stunning in all fronts. The pacing was pretty bad, the mini games became more more annoying as the game went on, it aimed to be story focused but the plot and characters were mostly dull and god, the combat annoyances.

The combat is so amateurish I had a hard time I was playing a PG title let alone one supervised by Kamiya. Enemies are very aggressive and have long combos, which shouldn't be a problem because you have perfect dodges with followup attacks... Except the latter have no invincibility frames so you can easily get stun locked by enemies after performing perfect dodges, it's maddening.

I had never disliked something made by Platinum Games so I barely needed to have any info on this to buy it, but man did I get burned out. Maybe disappointing isn't the word because I had no expectations other than it being good, but it was a truly baffling experience, I'm still in disbelief.
Huh. As much as I'm enjoying AC (Currently up to chap. 7), I agree wholeheartedly with pretty much everything you've said. The part about the pacing especially resonated with me. I do however enjoy the combat immensely, but I will also agree with you that the enemies are much too aggressive and you usually have a very small window to react, mostly because the i-frames; or lack there of.

And I say this as someone who can play Bayonetta on infinite climax comfortably.

Last edited:

TYRANITARR

Oct 28, 2017
Man, I can't decide between Astral Chain, Divinity 2 or save for DQXIS
Well there's a DQXI demo so that should help you decide.

There's a lot of gameplay and impressions of Divinity 2 out there across all platforms, is check that out

Astral Chain, I freaking love. But it's not everyone's cup of tea for sure. It's probably the most niche audience of the three because of the heavy heavy Anime style. But I love it's gooofy dumb anime.

Keyser S

The Fallen
Oct 26, 2017
Blasphemous got a 10% launch discount (in EU) even though it was available for preorder with none.... hummm

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Damon's reviews basically confirmed what I was worried about, which is not enough there to get invested with.

Time to pick up Blasphemous and River City Girls in its place.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Damon's reviews basically confirmed what I was worried about, which is not enough there to get invested with.

Time to pick up Blasphemous and River City Girls in its place.

What were you expecting/worried about with DxM? Impressions seem to be in line with what many were expecting and I can't think of many mech games that reviewed well over the last few years.

blame space

Resettlement Advisor
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i bought civilization and somehow broke the tutorial just as i was figuring out what was going on. ☹️

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
Got Final Fantasy VII from SQEX sale in JP eshop. I played it when I was a kid, did not understand the plot at all due to poor English, and stopped playing because I could not beat the final boss. Fast forward to today, now I am fluent in English and can read Japanese as well. Can't wait to finally understand why so many people love this game.

NoWayOut

Oct 27, 2017
Man, I can't decide between Astral Chain, Divinity 2 or save for DQXIS

DOS2 is a great game. I just triple dipped for the Switch. Being able to play such a deep CRPG on the go is amazing. I'm only at the beginning of a new playthrough, but performance is surprisingly solid. DQXIS has a lenghty demo, give it a try.

Plum

May 31, 2018
Just resisted buying Assassin's Creed 3 due to it being on sale. I realised that I would likely never 'finish' the game (especially with 4/Rogue coming out) and that I would really just be buying it for the novelty of having the game portable (which, seeing as my right Joy-Con is drifting, is something I rarely do anyway). The port also seemed quite poor overall so, yeah, probably a good decision not to buy it.

Baladium

Banned
Apr 18, 2018
Sleep Deprivation Zone

Oh come on, as if there wasn't already enough to buy this month

Well sure, let's add one of the most anticipated indies of the year to September's release schedule too. Who needs food, amirite?

Re-posting from last year:
[Simogo] has an insanely impressive resumé of iOS games that stretches all the way back to 2010:

• Kosmo Spin (Metacritic: 83)
• Bumpy Road (Metacritic: 86)
• Beat Sneak Bandit (Metacritic: 92)
• Year Walk (Metacritic: 87)
• DEVICE 6 (Metacritic: 92)
• The Sailor's Dream (Metacritic: 76)
• SPL-T (Metacritic: 86)

This new game looks entirely different from anything they've ever done before. After five years of constantly working exclusively on acclaimed iOS projects (with the exception of Year Walk which was also ported to PC, Mac, and Wii U), and three years of nothing since their last release, we're just now seeing the fruits of their labor for the first time after four years of development, and I couldn't be more excited to see how this gamble pays off for Simogo.

At the very least we can expect this to be one of the top indie games on Switch next year going by the dev's stellar track record, much like how I'm anticipating Super Crush KO by Vertex Pop to be a gem in the making.

swh_01.png

This quote from their blog can't be missed if you enjoy being aroused in your nether regions:

"Sayonara Wild Hearts is a soup made of pop-culture. It's OutRun, the teddygirls sub-culture, Carly Rae Jepsen, Rez, cafe racers, WarioWare, Blümchen, the 1950s, modern dance, Akira, F-zero, Space Harrier, Sia, Gradius, the 1980s, Charli XCX, Sailor Moon, Ouendan, Tron, Rhythm Tengoku, Punch Out and a good portion of ourselves, strangeness and mysticism stuffed into a blender."

Oh, and I should mention that it's 1080p/60fps docked, 720p/60fps handheld with "virtually no loading times".

swh_04.png

Keep an eye on this one, folks.

More info here: http://simogo.com/2018/12/07/sayonara-wild-hearts/

Interesting how this was first announced as a Switch exclusive but is now coming to PS4 and iOS on the same day. And seeing how it's an Apple Arcade launch title, I wonder if the Switch version's been finished for a while but Simogo was holding it back just so they could do a simultaneous launch on multiple platforms?

Foot

Mar 10, 2019
"Oh, and I should mention that it's 1080p/60fps docked, 720p/60fps handheld with "virtually no loading times".

Yes! YES!

Opa-Pa

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I have no idea what Sayonara Wild Hearts is but I know that I need it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
it has :P

Strange lack of early EU deals this week, or its just all "bundle fodder" as I call them and I didnt even notice they were new deals. I know my extensive wishlist barely has anything on sale.

Last edited:

Legacy

One Winged Slayer
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Tough choice. I'm right at the end of D:OS2 on PC right now, and I can say it's a really goddamn excellent game, though.

Heard only good things, I did enjoy the DQXIS demo but the combat felt a bit flat imo. Didn't seem like there was much to it. Really tempted with Divinity 2, too many RPG choices on Switch!

Weiss

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Creature in the Well is a good game but the eponymous creature might be the biggest goober in all of video games.

When you see its eyes shining in the dark as you travel, that's unnerving. When you confront it in boss arenas and it starts yelling at you like it's a 14 year old with a Welcome to my Twisted World tumblr, substantially less!

Deleted member 3700

User requested account closure
Oct 25, 2017
I have heard of Puzzle Quest before but have never played it. There is one famous local gaming journalist at my place who is a big fan of the series, so I want to try the upcoming remake. Then, I checked howlongtobeat and... wow, the original release is long. 35 hours for the main story alone. Considering that the upcoming release has a new expansion, and I am a slow player, this game may devour me.

Anyway, anyone here has played it before? Do you like it?