• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jordn613

Oct 25, 2017
If I'm not a huge jrpg fan, would I like Ys VIII? The setting looks cool to me, I like the idea of the action combat system vs. turn-based, I like being able to recruit a bunch of party members, etc. Opinions from any more casual jrpg players who have played it would be great.

HeRinger

Oct 28, 2017
Been playing Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair for a few hours. Call me crazy, but I think I like it more than Tropical Freeze.

Tropical Freeze might be more polished and have better presentation, but I LOVE the Zelda like isometric gameplay of Yooka Laylee. I think it elevates the game to a whole new level.

I also prefer how collectibles are handled. Not only they have practical use, but are also more fun to search. The 5 coins are usually cleverly hidden, but in a way that with a little exploration you can find all of them in one go. Tropical Freeze has a bunch of collectibles that I find really hard to find in my first go through the level. It's to encourage replay, but I'm not too keen on replaying levels in a 2D platformer.

My only complaint is the long ass loading.

E_i

Oct 27, 2017
Dusk to have special Mario 64 inspired level for its version:

I don't think it comes with those Mario sound effects.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
Lair of the clockwork god is a total mess. Frame rate is all over the place and game is as glitchy as it can, with characters getting trapped inside walls and floors and teleporting after that with actions as basic as jumping.

What an horrible port. Avoid it at all cost until a patch fix this mess.
Just played the opening scene. It's not unplayable, but yeah, definitely buggy.

Have had Dan randomly pop into the floor after triggering in game cutscenes.

Framerate isn't smooth per se, but is consistent for me.

Load times are long as well.

Hopefully they fix it up. It's a great mix of the PnC and platformer elements so far.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
Just played the opening scene. It's not unplayable, but yeah, definitely buggy.

Have had Dan randomly pop into the floor after triggering in game cutscenes.

Framerate isn't smooth per se, but is consistent for me.

Load times are long as well.

Hopefully they fix it up. It's a great mix of the PnC and platformer elements so far.

I found my cahracters in the floor and walls five times already in 2h of gameplay... one of those time I had to reset the game and lose progress since the character stuck there.

As you say, framerate is not smooth... if you add that to how SLOOOOW one of the characters walk, the experience and gamefeel feels horrible to me.

Problem is, I don't think this one is going to improve too much... their other game on the system, The Swindle, doesn't run great either despite how undemanding it looks. I have not high hopes for a good patch.

Mudo

Oct 25, 2017
Tennessee
If I'm not a huge jrpg fan, would I like Ys VIII? The setting looks cool to me, I like the idea of the action combat system vs. turn-based, I like being able to recruit a bunch of party members, etc. Opinions from any more casual jrpg players who have played it would be great.

I am a huge JRPG fan, but Ys 8 is more an action/adventure with some RPG elements to it.
Despite what it's classified as, the game is SUPER fun. It is very fast paced real time battles with a great "feeling" to it.
Also, the music is out of this world. Some of the tracks that play while exploring are just....damn!
There are lots of characters but not in a normal sense of lots of huge cities and NPC all over. You are on a deserted (...) island and build up a base and explore.
The story is just OK. Nothing to write home about but not bad or anything.

Id say if you like action-y combat and don't mind lots of exploring and things like leveling up/crafting/equipping gear, you will like it. Maybe watch a video for a few minutes of gameplay. That will give you a good idea. I do not think it is an overwhelming game at all, but it is quite long and overall, really good. 8/10

**Disclaimers: I played on PS4, and am only about halfway through so maybe someone can comment on performance, and make sure the game doesn't fall to pieces in the second half lol.

Kattbuss

Oct 27, 2017
Sweden
I am a huge JRPG fan, but Ys 8 is more an action/adventure with some RPG elements to it.
Despite what it's classified as, the game is SUPER fun. It is very fast paced real time battles with a great "feeling" to it.
Also, the music is out of this world. Some of the tracks that play while exploring are just....damn!
There are lots of characters but not in a normal sense of lots of huge cities and NPC all over. You are on a deserted (...) island and build up a base and explore.
The story is just OK. Nothing to write home about but not bad or anything.

Id say if you like action-y combat and don't mind lots of exploring and things like leveling up/crafting/equipping gear, you will like it. Maybe watch a video for a few minutes of gameplay. That will give you a good idea. I do not think it is an overwhelming game at all, but it is quite long and overall, really good. 8/10

**Disclaimers: I played on PS4, and am only about halfway through so maybe someone can comment on performance, and make sure the game doesn't fall to pieces in the second half lol.
With the caveat that I'm definitely not sensitive to FPS drops and the like, I thought it ran great. No problems playing and finishing the game.
As to the game itself it's a fantastic ARpg with a cool setting and fun characters. Well worth a try if you're interested.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
Damn, i just realized that Kingdom Rush Origins comes out this month and with a whopping 40% pre-order discount if you already own Frontiers (like i do)!!!

I was planning on getting the rest of the series on PC but this price may just be too good to pass up hmm... I hope the port is just as competent as Frontiers was, which wasn't perfect but perfectly playable (a couple stutters here and there and the obvious control issues inherent to not having a mouse and keyboard).

Don't sleep on this series people, Kingdom Rush is seriously THE best Tower defense series EVER if you are into the genre at all, and just super addicting in general.

OP
OP
tolkir

tolkir

Oct 25, 2017
Coming this week

- eShop Originals

• 07 - Circuit Dude - Sickhead Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 44 MB
  • 07 - Shaolin vs Wutang - Godspeed Games - $9.99/€9.99 - 6.4 GB
    --
  • 08 - Party Hard 2 - tinyBuild Games - $19.99/€19.99 - 5.0 GB
  • 08 - RPG Maker MV - NIS America - $49.99/€49.99 - 2.5 GB *09/11 on EU*
  • 08 - AVICII Invector - Wired Productions - $19.99/€19.99 - 2.8 GB
  • 08 - OkunoKA Madness - Ignition Publishing - $14.99/€14.99 - 2.0 GB
  • 08 - Meganoid - Orange Pixel - $8.99/€8.99 - 58 MB
    --
  • 10 - Minoria - Dangen Ent. - $19.99/€16.79 - 379 MB
  • 10 - Hotshot Racing - Curve Digital - $19.99/€19.99 - 3.0 GB
  • 10 - Wintermoor Tactics Club - Versus Evil - $19.99/€19.99 - 720 MB
  • 10 - Mo:Astray - Rayark - $14.99/€12.75 - 3.5 GB
  • 10 - Tin & Kuna - Black River Studios/Aksys Games - $29.99 - 2.9 GB
  • 10 - Tomoyo After -It's a Wonderful Life- CS Edition - Prototype - $34.99/€34.99 - 1.4 GB
  • 10 - Vampire: The Masquerade - Shadows of New York - Draw Distance - $12.99/€12.99 - 3.1 GB
  • 10 - Adventures of Pip - TicToc Games - $9.99/€8.50 - 514 MB
  • 10 - Bounty Battle - Merge Games - $24.99/€24.99 - 1.7 GB
  • 10 - The Snake King - YeTa Games - $7.99/€7.99 - 120 MB
  • 10 - Bake 'n Switch - Streamline Media Group - $29.99/€29.99 - 2.4 GB
  • 10 - Space Robinson - Crytivo - $9.99/€8.19 - 75 MB
  • 10 - Deleveled - The Quantum Astrophysicists Guild - $9.99/€8.99 - 68 MB
  • 10 - Death and Taxes - Pineapple Works - $12.99/€12.99 - 861 MB
    --
  • 11 - Inertial Drift - Level 91/PQube - $19.99/€19.99 - 2.8 GB
  • 11 - Firework - Fantastico Studio - $14.99/€14.99 - 394 MB
  • 11 - Doodle Derby - Headup Games - $7.99/€7.99 - 214 MB
  • 11 - WeakWood Throne - Drageus Games - $4.99/€4.99 - 57 MB

- Japan

• 10 - Metal Max Xeno Reborn - Kadokawa Games - ¥6,480
  • 10 - G-Mode Archives 15: Churashima Kurashi - G-Mode - ¥500
  • 10 - HimeHibi: Princess Days - Takuyo - ¥5,808

bixente

Jan 27, 2019
Inertial Drift or Hotshot Racing? Mmm...

I really dig Hotshot Racing's art style. I just hope it plays as well as it looks.

As enjoyable as that game was, I hope it's better

IMO Horizon Chase Turbo is the best racer on Switch not named Mario Kart. Though admittedly I haven't played stuff like GRID. Still, I think it's an excellent game. I'd be more than satisfied if Hotshot was Horizon's equal.

Zodzilla

Oct 25, 2017
I found my cahracters in the floor and walls five times already in 2h of gameplay... one of those time I had to reset the game and lose progress since the character stuck there.

As you say, framerate is not smooth... if you add that to how SLOOOOW one of the characters walk, the experience and gamefeel feels horrible to me.

Problem is, I don't think this one is going to improve too much... their other game on the system, The Swindle, doesn't run great either despite how undemanding it looks. I have not high hopes for a good patch.
Yeah, reading into it online. The getting stuck in walls thing is very real and a major issue down the line.

If this doesn't get patched, then yeah, it'll be a major fucking bummer, more so because I like the Ben and Dan series and wanted to support size five.

Riven

Oct 27, 2017
never happening, start swapping or strategically redownloading or bite the bullet and get a larger sd card.
Will never happen. There is a reason why Nintendo is not allowing external hard drives, or game saves to SD cards - either of these would help make any Switch far easier to crack.
How is that any different if someone does hacks/cracks via the SD card? To me both the SD card and hard drives are both external storage media. Ugh I am already juggling games with archiving them and I do not want to shell out the money for a 1TB card.

mindatlarge

Oct 27, 2017
PA, USA
Lair of the clockwork god is a total mess. Frame rate is all over the place and game is as glitchy as it can, with characters getting trapped inside walls and floors and teleporting after that with actions as basic as jumping.

What an horrible port. Avoid it at all cost until a patch fix this mess.
This is depressing, was gonna pick this up soon. While I love the Switch, it really bums me out the bad ports we get some times. Then other Switch ports like Ori and Cuphead are amazing. Doesn't make sense to me.

Deleted member 32135

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 9, 2017
This is depressing, was gonna pick this up soon. While I love the Switch, it really bums me out the bad ports we get some times. Then other Switch ports like Ori and Cuphead are amazing. Doesn't make sense to me.

Too many times the Switch port is an afterthought and it just shows. Luckly some developers go the extra mile and even tweak their engine to better adapt it to the Switch (Ori) and it just shows in the result.

I prefer to double dip in a game that I enjoyed on other platform and the port is good (Cuphead) than to play something new but the experience is miserable (Lair of the Clockwork God). I was really looking for this one but it is a big fail in my book.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Oh yeah, there's been a urination puzzle and some other tasteless stuff already. I don't know how I didn't think to mention that!

One thing maybe worth bringing is you can adjust the amount of dialogue from the settings, probably getting rid of some of the jokes too although I haven't tried it. But really the humor seems to be quite a big part of it all, and if it doesn't work it can easily be just off-putting. I'm not exactly super into it either, but there have been funny jokes as well and despite the performance issues and some pretty glaring bugs, the gameplay is exciting.
Thanks for all of the info, I really appreciate it.

Nabbit

Oct 25, 2017
Been playing Yooka Laylee and the Impossible Lair for a few hours. Call me crazy, but I think I like it more than Tropical Freeze.

Tropical Freeze might be more polished and have better presentation, but I LOVE the Zelda like isometric gameplay of Yooka Laylee. I think it elevates the game to a whole new level.

I also prefer how collectibles are handled. Not only they have practical use, but are also more fun to search. The 5 coins are usually cleverly hidden, but in a way that with a little exploration you can find all of them in one go. Tropical Freeze has a bunch of collectibles that I find really hard to find in my first go through the level. It's to encourage replay, but I'm not too keen on replaying levels in a 2D platformer.

Always great to see another person experience the awesomeness of Impossible Lair. It only gets better as it goes on - some of the state changes are truly inspired. SunBroDave tagging you here as the game's biggest fan.

SunBroDave

Oct 25, 2017

Always great to see another person experience the awesomeness of Impossible Lair. It only gets better as it goes on - some of the state changes are truly inspired. SunBroDave tagging you here as the game's biggest fan.
Thanks Nabbit I'd never miss an opportunity to extoll the virtues of Impossible Lair. It's a fantastically well-designed game. The difficulty and layouts of the levels themselves, all the things you can discover in the overworld and the ways it interacts with the 2D levels, the way character progression works and how you can come up with new strategies via the perks to make levels easier or maximize the amount of currency you pick up. The way it pulls a Breath of the Wild and lets you tackle the final challenge from the very beginning. It all just works together so incredibly well together. And the music. Goddamn is the music good.

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
why do you hate my bank account

I thought I was over TD (those fond memories of Ninjatown will never leave me)

Dude, i LOVED Ninjatown on DS :D completed it 100% too back then.
It's really cute but Kingdom Rush is on a whole other level, be warned though, some of the levels can get quite challenging, but the amount of content you get with just one game (Frontiers in my case) is amazing as you can replay levels with different modifiers afterwards and it's like a whole new level again in a sense...
It's also kinda 2 games in one since you get to micromanage heroes at the same time as upgrading towers, which makes up for a huge part of the fun for me anyway...

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
How is that any different if someone does hacks/cracks via the SD card? To me both the SD card and hard drives are both external storage media. Ugh I am already juggling games with archiving them and I do not want to shell out the money for a 1TB card.
the reason is that you can't play a game off your external HDD and take the Switch out of the dock without everything exploding. nothing to do with hacking.

Dude, i LOVED Ninjatown on DS :D completed it 100% too back then.
It's really cute but Kingdom Rush is on a whole other level, be warned though, some of the levels can get quite challenging, but the amount of content you get with just one game (Frontiers in my case) is amazing as you can replay levels with different modifiers afterwards and it's like a whole new level again in a sense...
It's also kinda 2 games in one since you get to micromanage heroes at the same time as upgrading towers, which makes up for a huge part of the fun for me anyway...
I like that it's basically a foregone conclusion to you that I'm buying this.

:allthecryingemojis:

XD

WinniethePimp

Oct 26, 2017
EU
the reason is that you can't play a game off your external HDD and take the Switch out of the dock without everything exploding. nothing to do with hacking.

I like that it's basically a foregone conclusion to you that I'm buying this.

:allthecryingemojis:

XD

But is is! ;D

I'll stop hyping it now because that can have the opposite effect once ppl play the game in question, suffice to say that i never knew i needed this in my life until i played it for a while :)

ryushe

Oct 27, 2017
Man, Ni no Kuni for $15 is tempting.

I don't even particularly like the game and I'm thinking about it.

Rhaknar

Oct 26, 2017
seems the Amalur Re-Reckoning remaster is barely a remaster, it's pretty much the same game from 2012, so it's really weird they didnt put it on the Switch tbh, its a 2012 360 game, im sure it could handle it >_>

Last edited:

Kroze

Oct 28, 2017
So it looks like A Robot Named Fight! is getting yet another brand new free update with a crapton of new content and modes for its 3rd anniversary they just announced today on twitter... it's sitting in Nintendo's lot check right now so its ready to be pushed out soon as the Big N says its good. It's already out on Steam with a bunch of new features (the new MegaMap mode is great and is exactly how a rogue Super Metroid should feel and play... so much sequence breaking opportunities) AND its on discount both on Switch and Steam for 50% off.

This game really keeps pumping out the content for free so much for a one man dev team. Super impressive imo and he's STILL planning on more content coming in the future...

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
seems the Amalur Re-Reckoning remaster is barely a remaster, it's pretty much the same game from 2012, so it's really weird they didnt put it on the Switch tbh, its a 2012 360 game, im sure it could handle it >_>

Someone on reddit claiming to be a Gamestop employee said both Kingdoms of Amalur and Destroy All Humans are coming to Switch from THQ. Of course, random people on web are most likely are lying, but that makes sense. THQ has always been a great supporter of Switch and this week's MX vs ATV was their last game on the platform. There should be more and those two are the most likely candidates.

Putosaure

Oct 27, 2017
France
Tried A Short Hike on PC to give it a shot, ended up finishing it in about an hour and half with a few stuff to finish. Definitively lovely, and hats off to the French translation btw

Frost

Oct 25, 2017
Canary Islands
Finished Yokus Island Express a true gem with fun pinball fused with a damn good metroidvania and created with a lot of love. One of the most original games i ever played. 11/10

Last edited:

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
They put prices on Hades and The Survivalists, so their release should be close. Pretty hyped about both.

Also The Survivalists and Descenders are coming out in Japan physically next month, so Descenders eShop release should be close to. Quite a wait that one had.

scarlet

Oct 25, 2017
They put prices on Hades and The Survivalists, so their release should be close. Pretty hyped about both.

Also The Survivalists and Descenders are coming out in Japan physically next month, so Descenders eShop release should be close to. Quite a wait that one had.

How much is Hades?

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Finished Yokus Island Express a true gem with fun pinball fused with a damn good metroidvania and created with a lot of love. One of the most original games i ever played. 11/10
One of my favorite games on witch. Would love a sequel/side project using the same mechanics/design philosophy. Maybe leave out the swinging mechanic you get towards the end since it didn't always work how you wanted it. Other than that though, no gripes at all.

Barely Able

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
Is Axiom Verge good? I'm still pissed off from Blasphemous
I don't think it lives up to the hype personally, but if you want a more 8 bit styled Metroidvania, then it fits in that wheelhouse well. For me, there was an over abundance of weapons that didn't serve any real purpose and some of the mechanics were annoying. It also seemed like the end was more rambling than exploratory, but that is personal taste. I will say the visuals and music are top notch. I think it's worth a play on sale but it has been passed by many other games in the genre since release.

Status
Not open for further replies.