• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
User Warned: Portbegging
Average game, 0 interest in it, but I hope it's true because it opens the doors for a Handheld version of Cuphead

Mhj

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 30, 2017
There's nothing special about the game, period. It's a heavily average platformer, only standing out because it was a rare 3D platformer on a platform that never saw them.

Coming off something like Mario Odyssey, Switch owners will very quickly understand just how good they've had it with 3D Mario. The quality is nowhere near.

Yeah this was my experience as well. Gave it a try on Xbox Game Pass after hearing good things about it, but everything felt so ... average. Not bad, just... average. But sure, it might be the best 3D platformer on Xbox.

Adulfzen

Oct 29, 2017
Cuphead isn't owned by Microsoft. Ports are doable if the devs will it
Didn't one of the devs here say a port of Cuphead would never happen ?
I'm gonna assume they'd need to pull a "Cuphead Deluxe Edition" because they can't just port the base game itself to other platforms for legal reasons.

Starlatine

533.489 paid youtubers cant be wrong
Oct 28, 2017
cool another thread for people to portbeg Cuphead despite we having a developer on this forum posting several times cuphead is exclusive to xbox

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Didn't one of the devs here say a port of Cuphead would never happen ?
I'm gonna assume they'd need to pull a "Cuphead Deluxe Edition" because they can't just port the base game itself to other platforms for legal reasons.
they might have signed away console exclusivity rights, so I guess a new edition would be what it would take or something

goldenpp73

Banned
Dec 5, 2017
Pretty sure the creators of Cuphead definitively ruled out the first game ever going elsewhere, and Ori is MS owned. As for this news, I don't really see a point in a C tier platformer at this point but cool?

Dancrane212

Oct 25, 2017
I thought Super Lucky's Tale was a fun little platformer. Hopefully it connects with more folk on the Switch; it deserves more than just being a vehicle to portbeg Cuphead.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I can see it, Microsoft doesn't seem as overtly protective of their exclusives as Nintendo and Sony are.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Like i said in the other thread, kind of a shocker news if confirmed, since Microsoft is acquiring most of their first-second party studios, i was so sure Playful Corp was one of them.

The game had an unfortunate launch: next to Odyssey pretty much every platformer would have looked terrible.

dasu

Aug 2, 2018
I am always happy to see more exposure for pure 3d platformers, but Lucky's Tale looked super generic the last time I saw it.

Oct 26, 2017
I wonder if THQ Nordic will publish this as they did so the PC version, since I don't think Playful self-publish, do they? At least at retail.

Also, another game that MS published but doesn't own that I'm shocked hasn't made its way to Switch yet; Rush: A Disney-Pixar Adventure by Asobo. That was a Kinect game on 360 but got a XBO and PC port recently (again with THQ Nordic publishing it on PC) with presumably normal controls. Seems like an obvious contender as well.

How did that turn out on XBO and PC anyway?

Last edited:

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
Meh. Glad the devs will get a few extra sales but I don't see it as that big of a deal to be honest.

Shpeshal Nick

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
Would have loved to have had this on Switch instead of Xbox to avoid the achievement grind.

Oh well.

Great little game. Solid 7/10 platformer unfairly judged by a dumb review by a journalist I actually really like in Ryan McCaffrey. "This game isn't Super Mario Odyssey....5/10". Just....no. Ryan should clearly have not reviewed this game so close to Odyssey because it tainted the entire review.

Peek-a-boo!

Oct 30, 2017
Woodbridge
Yeah this was my experience as well. Gave it a try on Xbox Game Pass after hearing good things about it, but everything felt so ... average. Not bad, just... average.

I gave Super Lucky's Tales a go after some folks in the Xbox thread suggested that it is rather underrated and a hidden gem of sorts.

Turns out that if you don't expose yourself to other platforms, you set yourself a pretty low bar...

Outside of the okay visuals and some mildly catchy music, it was a thoroughly mediocre 3D platformer.

prodyg

Oct 28, 2017
Super Lucky's Tale isn't a Microsoft IP.

It doesn't mean Halo Infinite is coming to the Switch.
Microsoft have released banjo games for Nintendo handhelds in the past. They really aren't as protective of their properties as the other companies. They are more willing to share a few of them just not all of them.

As far as them not owning the IP to SLT, idk about that. I'm pretty sure I heard that they did buy it and I don't see any articles that says they don't.

pswii60

Oct 27, 2017
The Milky Way
As far as them not owning the IP to SLT, idk about that. I'm pretty sure I heard that they did buy it and I don't see any articles that says they don't.
"2019 PLAYFUL, Corp. Super Lucky's Tale is a registered trademarks of Playful, Corp. in the U.S. and other countries.
All other trademarks and logos belong to their respective owners. All rights reserved."

https://www.superluckystale.com

Plum

May 31, 2018
Haha why you think they are on a shopping spree??

Of acourse they are protective. However, they might not own the IP to Lucky. It is okay.

Of course they're not going to start releasing Halo on the PS4 or Gears on the Switch but I said overtly protective, not just protective by itself. When compared to their Japanese counterparts they just aren't as explicit in how they speak about exclusivity or with their IPs so something like this wouldn't be anything particularly unusual.

JayWood2010

Oct 27, 2017
Microsoft published it on Xbox, but does not own the IP. Think TitanFall, Tomb Raider, and Mass Effect.

I enjoyed this game, and hope Switch only users likes it as well. Definetely reminds me of old N64 games, so if you like that era, you may like SLT. Its not groundbreaking, but a solid game.

SnatcherHunter

The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Of course they're not going to start releasing Halo on the PS4 or Gears on the Switch but I said overtly protective, not just protective by itself. When compared to their Japanese counterparts they just aren't as explicit in how they speak about exclusivity or with their IPs so something like this wouldn't be anything particularly unusual.

I think that's changing going forward. MS wants to ensure they own every single IP going forward unless it is a MGSP title.

Plum

May 31, 2018
I think that's changing going forward. MS wants to ensure they own every single IP going forward.

I'm not sure, and even then I don't see how that relates to this particular case (Lucky's Tale isn't MS' IP). The continued acquisition of development teams seems, to me, to be more Microsoft putting themselves in a better position to fight Sony than it is them becoming Nintendo-like in how protective they are. I doubt they'd ever port anything to the PS4 of course but I don't see anything that suggests they're now so protective as to not allow a smaller game like Lucky's Tale to release onto the Switch.

Deleted member 36622

User requested account closure
Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Would have loved to have had this on Switch instead of Xbox to avoid the achievement grind.

Oh well.

Great little game. Solid 7/10 platformer unfairly judged by a dumb review by a journalist I actually really like in Ryan McCaffrey. "This game isn't Super Mario Odyssey....5/10". Just....no. Ryan should clearly have not reviewed this game so close to Odyssey because it tainted the entire review.

I'd blame Microsoft for that, cause you always tend to compare new games with other recent releases in the same genre, so it was an obvious comparison.

I understand their view, as they probably wanted variety for Xbox One X launch lineup but it did compromise the success of the game and i don't think this was the right title for that audience (who bought the hardware expecting some breathtaking 4K visuals, not that SLT isn't pretty).

Lorul2

Jan 4, 2018
Isn't Microsoft the publisher though? I'm all for it, as a matter of fact I would want all RARE (just RARE) games going to switch. I think Microsoft is leaving money on the table by not sharing. There may be as many Nintendo "RARE" fans as XBOX "RARE" fans so why NOT?

SloMoBackSlap

Feb 15, 2018
interesting, i didn't think microsoft would allow a game of theirs to come to switch (other than minecraft but that's minecraft)
from what i've seen this one doesn't look like anything special, but it's still cool for those who want more 3d platformers on switch

edit: or maybe microsoft just acted as the publisher?
"2019 PLAYFUL, Corp. Super Lucky's Tale is a registered trademarks of Playful, Corp. in the U.S. and other countries.
All other trademarks and logos belong to their respective owners. All rights reserved."

Where did you find the quoted info that shows the trademark is registered to Playful?

EDIT: Nevermind, I found it. https://trademarks.justia.com/873/56/super-lucky-s-87356387.html

So even though MS published it, it seems Playful can still go forward and put it on a different platform. Pretty interesting.

Last edited:

wwm0nkey

Oct 25, 2017
Isn't Microsoft the publisher though? I'm all for it, as a matter of fact I would want all RARE (just RARE) games going to switch. I think Microsoft is leaving money on the table by not sharing. There may be as many Nintendo "RARE" fans as XBOX "RARE" fans so why NOT?
MS is a 3rd party for Nintendo currently, iirc Phi says Minecraft isn't the end of that partnership.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
they just published it, they don't own it, nor does it seem like there's an exclusivity deal.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Yup, MS is considered a big 3rd party for Nintendo

Did people really forget about outstanding Microsoft third party support on DS? We got lots of great stuff: Zoo Tycoon 1&2, Age of Empires & Mythologies, Viva Pinata, MechAssault... Microsoft never considered Nintendo handhelds as rival platforms.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
The game is uninspiring at best. I like the character and some of the concepts but the gameplay on a 3D plane made for hard to judge jumps and what I consider to be clunky gameplay compared to Mario games. I have it up after 30 mins after really wanting to like it. I did the same with Snake Pass too.