• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Deleted member 249

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
"E3, those five days, is the opportunity for the world to find out what's new for video games as entertainment. And during that time, we generate more engagement than...whether it's CES or Comic-Con, or other big entertainment events," Fils-Aime told IGN. "People tune in to find out what's new and to have first playable experiences for our industry. That's why E3 is important to Nintendo."

"Our mentality has been to constantly innovate what we do and how we message at E3," he said. "We've innovated in how we utilize our booth space, to create a little piece of Hyrule or to create a little piece of the environment in Super Mario Odyssey, as examples. We innovate in how we deliver our messaging, whether it was the big stage productions or whether it's the Direct communications that we do today.

"Everyone's watching, we drive innovation, we leverage the elements, so for us it's a very effective opportunity to deliver our message, and therefore it's a bit of a no-brainer for us to participate. Now, what's important as an industry, though, is that E3 in total continues to innovate and it continues to be that leading opportunity to drive consumer engagement in this way. So that's why we participate. That's why I sit on the board of the ESA and help drive some of this thinking. It's important to us."

He also talked about balancing announcing games that are coming up soon versus announcing games that won't be out for years:

"Broadly speaking, we like to talk about games that are closer. Typically, for example, at E3, we'll focus on content maybe extending into the first or second calendar quarter following E3. That is typically our horizon," he said. "We believe that works because it's close enough that the fans can be excited and look forward to it. And when we do have an exception and do something different, we're doing it for very specific reasons.

"Maybe we have two experiences within a particular franchise, and we know that one might be maybe a nontraditional representation of that franchise. Or maybe then it's important for us to frame that the more traditional visualization of that franchise is coming. 'Fans, don't worry, but here's something different to tide you over in the meantime.' So that's how we think about it, and how we approach our consumer communication. We want to be near-end. We want to deliver news when it's most meaningful. We don't want to be so far out that the consumer either loses interest, or worse, gets frustrated."

IGN

I just found this whole interview very interesting. There has been a lot said about how "the death of E3" is upon us, citing Sony choosing to not attend next year, and even Nintendo's de-emphasis on the event every passing year, but it is interesting to see that Nintendo themselves note that E3 still gets them the most audience engagement, more than even their own Directs. I wonder how true it is for other companies.

Apr 25, 2018
Rockwall, Texas
So when are the line ups set and placement decided? Does Sony have the option to change their mind and get their space back or are we set and this is really gonna happen? Just seems so weird to totally abandon the event even if they want to control the narrative with their own events. I'm not sure what to think of it honestly. It seems a hostile move on Sony's part and unfortunate but then again I don't know the details. Glad Nintendo (and MS) believes having a presence is important.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
I would argue Nintendo hasn't de emphasized E3 . The digital event ensures their profile remains. They simply shifted money out of the wasteful stage presentations that benefit mostly the press and a few luck people and moved it elsewhere. More Nintendo engagement in cons, more digital presentations in the form of directs and their attendance in non American events like Gamescon is better for everyone.

Oct 27, 2017
I would argue Nintendo hasn't de emphasized E3 . The digital event ensures their profile remains. They simply shifted money out of the wasteful stage presentations that benefit mostly the press and a few luck people and moved it elsewhere. More Nintendo engagement in cons, more digital presentations in the form of directs and their attendance in non American events like Gamescon is better for everyone.
I honestly believe that after that Skyward Sword demo fiasco, they decided to have a fully controlled environment with the Directs, while still having their E3 booth.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Fair point. It's not like they don't have a stage presence at E3 (NWC 2015 & 2017, ARMS/Splatoon 2 in 2017, Smash/Splatoon 2 in 2018, etc.).

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
lol nintendo is piggy-backing off of those who do present at E3. The others pay for the venue, pay for the time, pay for fees and marketing and whatnot, while Nintendo just uploads a pre-recorded video on the internet and hosts it.

Deleted member 36578

Dec 21, 2017
Metroid booth, E3 2019 here we come. I believe in magic.

Bundy

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So when are the line ups set and placement decided? Does Sony have the option to change their mind and get their space back or are we set and this is really gonna happen? Just seems so weird to totally abandon the event even if they want to control the narrative with their own events. I'm not sure what to think of it honestly. It seems a hostile move on Sony's part and unfortunate but then again I don't know the details. Glad Nintendo (and MS) believes having a presence is important.
Looks like they won't. And I really hope the won't change their mind. Five billion companies all announcing their games at the same time at E3 was always annoying as hell for me. Especially because smaller games got totally ignored/went under the radar for most people. So I only watched the "big three" conferences and that's it. I knew this would happen when Sony re-announced PSX this gen. Having their own events is the way to go. At least for me.

kennyamr

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
New York, NY, USA
"See you in the new year."

2019 will be very interesting. Lots of possibilities and probably the last year before a fresh start.
The industry is rapidly changing and expanding. I really hope everyone benefits.

Last edited:
OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
lol nintendo is piggy-backing off of those who do present at E3. The others pay for the venue, pay for the time, pay for fees and marketing and whatnot, while Nintendo just uploads a pre-recorded video on the internet and hosts it.
You- you realize that by virtue of having the biggest booth on the showfloor space, no one else actually pays as much for those things as Nintendo does, right

Jahranimo

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
This is interesting. I guess going forward regarding E3 especially to only expect more looks or announcements of Nintendo games IF they're releasing it within the next 6-9 months. Certain games seem to be outliers recently like MP4 (offset possible backlash of Metroid 2 Remake for 3DS) and Yoshi (delay)

Bunkles

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

tenor.gif

Oct 25, 2017
E3 is fun when the show is good, but I do lament the dulls that happen in the months leading up to it and after. Would prefer a more constant flow of information all year round.

I do think it's great getting the press to gather and play your demos where it would be prohibitively expensive for most publishers otherwise. But you also have to share a lot of attention with the rest of the industry.

Lulu

Saw the truth behind the copied door
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Take an L for this dumb ass post, cause this ain't it

Deleted member 3017

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

I had forgotten Nintendo won Game of the Show at E3 2016 and 2017 based on a couple video clips.

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
"Maybe we have two experiences within a particular franchise, and we know that one might be maybe a nontraditional representation of that franchise. Or maybe then it's important for us to frame that the more traditional visualization of that franchise is coming. 'Fans, don't worry, but here's something different to tide you over in the meantime.' So that's how we think about it, and how we approach our consumer communication. We want to be near-end. We want to deliver news when it's most meaningful. We don't want to be so far out that the consumer either loses interest, or worse, gets frustrated."

Might as well have just mentioned Federation Force here.

So Prime 4 was only announced because they were doing that Metroid 2 remake on 3DS
This is a little different since Metroid 2 is the more traditional Metroid and Prime 4 is the spinoff. But yes, it's because of the fan reaction to Federation Force. They know the Prime fans are ravenous.

Oct 27, 2017
Florida
E3 is awesome for gaming news and impressions. Anyone arguing against that is doing so in bad faith.

Sony is just on some other shit this year. Probably saving all their coins for silicon.

Xaszatm

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You- you realize that by virtue of having the biggest booth on the showfloor space, no one else actually pays as much for those things as Nintendo does, right

I also find it funny because Nintendo DOES have a live show every E3. It's just instead of a conference, that's when they host tournaments. With the exception of one year, every E3 has had instead either and invitational or the World Championships that uses a theater and is live broadcasted.

Deleted member 7572

User-requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They do pretty much all of this, they just don't rent an off-site venue for a live conference anymore, they instead use that venue for tournaments.

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I've always thought it was this and the Wii U miscommunication.
The Wii U miscommunication had little to do with it, they failed at communicating Wii U even in properly controlled Direct videos.
But yeah, Skyward Sword's demo (and the subsequent stigma that game got) was probably a huge wake up call for them in that regard.

Nanashrew

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo pays a lot to have such a big show floor, and they've recently turned their stage shows into major events like Nintendo World Championships, Smash exhibitions and Splatoon tournaments.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017

What is it about E3 that makes grown-ass adults act like children? Because based off of this post I feel like you'd be able to answer that question.

Ms.Galaxy

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017

Yeah, they just upload a pre-recordered video on the internet, nothing more...

$

Deleted member 4037

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
They still have show floors at E3? I mean I miss the live conferences, but they arent "piggybacking" by any means

ElectricBlanketFire

What year is this?
Oct 25, 2017
It was so nice of Sony and Microsoft to pay for their Breath Of The Wild showcase.

e3_loz-botw_06.jpg

image-63.jpeg

The Adder

Oct 25, 2017
You do know that the money for presentations doesn't go towards E3. They go to rent out the venues.

What does go to E3 is the money to rent floor space. Which Nintendo pays the most to do.

So maybe get your facts straight before spouting off in the future, yes?

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Just as a random aside the Super Mario Odyssey trailer that closed out their E3 2017 has more than 30 million views on YT, whilst when I last checked the SSB portion of this year's doesn't even have 10 million. Heck the 2 BotW trailers at E3 2016 and the January one barely reach 30 million *combined*.

I therefore find it easy to see how E3 remains extremely lucrative for Nintendo.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017
Actually i feel like Nintendo has redefined what E3 Actually is for the public NOT at the event. The direct is nothing more of a precursor of what we can expect to hear about in more detail immediately following with the Treehouse live. The beauty of treehouse live is that while they too have glitches and errors, they have an abundances of switches sitting there with pre-loaded locales they can switch too to keep the presentation seamless. I don't know if they are exactly saving money since they run live for 6-8 hours over three days. Also, the developers coming out and playing the game and being able to speak candidly and answer questions is FAR greater than any conference. I feel like Treehouse live better speaks to the gamers with it's casual, candid atmosphere.

Deleted member 1003

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
There is a difference between having a presence or space at E3 and running a marketing trailer bonanza. Nintendo has had a presence at E3 sure but their E3 press thingy has been direct only.

Ichi

Banned
Sep 10, 2018
Actually i feel like Nintendo has redefined what E3 Actually is for the public NOT at the event. The direct is nothing more of a precursor of what we can expect to hear about in more detail immediately following with the Treehouse live. The beauty of treehouse live is that while they too have glitches and errors, they have an abundances of switches sitting there with pre-loaded locales they can switch too to keep the presentation seamless. I don't know if they are exactly saving money since they run live for 6-8 hours over three days. Also, the developers coming out and playing the game and being able to speak candidly and answer questions is FAR greater than any conference. I feel like Treehouse live better speaks to the gamers with it's casual, candid atmosphere.

i feel like that should actually be where the shows should go towards. not some stage show full of cringe and zero editing - just do a video. stage shows at this day and age are a waste of everyone's money and time.

even better, just schedule your own instead of going to E3. Sony had done that with PSX, and others are doing it too. They wanna dominate the headlines, not compete with each other on who gets how much space and time on the very limited E3 coverage space of every other website out there. Imagine, dozens and dozens of games present at E3 and everyone just talks about the same damn 5 games over and over over the course of a week or so,

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
*conveniently ignores them doing huge ass tournaments on stage at E3 and livestreams every day from the showfloor*

but you do you

OP
OP

Deleted member 249

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
i feel like that should actually be where the shows should go towards. not some stage show full of cringe and zero editing - just do a video. stage shows at this day and age are a waste of everyone's money and time.

even better, just schedule your own instead of going to E3. Sony had done that with PSX, and others are doing it too. They wanna dominate the headlines, not compete with each other on who gets how much space and time on the very limited E3 coverage space of every other website out there. Imagine, dozens and dozens of games present at E3 and everyone just talks about the same damn 5 games over and over over the course of a week or so,
I'm not sure what your point is or was, because Nintendo does this already

kirby_fox

Oct 29, 2017
Midwest USA
I think what we'll see in the gaming industry is a shift to year round news more and more, and E3 becoming more of a SDCC kind of deal. It's good for some announcements, but competing for the headlines is hard these days when there used to be tons of titles announced all at the same time. It's an evolution I think for positive things, as it'll allow us to have news when it's appropriate rather than all at once.

I wouldn't be surprised to start seeing more announcements at other gaming events in the coming years or the evolution of something like PAX. Hell, the Game Awards is starting to grow big enough to get some big announcements so there's plenty of places to show things off.

Kureransu

Oct 25, 2017

i think they (nintendo especially) have been doing this for a while. They last system that was introduced at e3 was the Wii U, and even the full media event took place in september.

But when it comes to e3, think of it of like Christmas for the game industry. It something everyone looks forward to. Just like Christmas, as you get older, it doesn't have quite the same impact as it once did (due to the internet and companies releasing info as they see fit, not just for e3), but you still put a little more effort into it.

Also, so people apprecaite the spectacle of the live events, and i do feel they have a soft spot with me, because of so many memes and moments that are hilarious.