• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Sillegamer

Oct 27, 2017
Either Sony has an event early 2019 or PSX is moved.

Hopefully they realise that even multi reveals with new looks at their upcoming slate and Medievil would be better than fuck all.

Dekuman

Oct 27, 2017
lol nintendo is piggy-backing off of those who do present at E3. The others pay for the venue, pay for the time, pay for fees and marketing and whatnot, while Nintendo just uploads a pre-recorded video on the internet and hosts it.
You- you realize that by virtue of having the biggest booth on the showfloor space, no one else actually pays as much for those things as Nintendo does, right

As PT pointed out, Presentations aren't cross financed. These are the glitzy auditorium presentations and are 100% paid by the people presenting. Nintendo always has a large booth at E3 proper.

legend166

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I feel like some smart person at Sony saw how much money was wasted on their presentation last year (with the different marquees and performances and people having to move from one place to another) and just told them to shut it all down. Because that kind of waste is just really stupid.

I think the Nintendo model of a digital event prior to the show and then retaining their floor presence makes the most sense.

Viceratops

Banned
Jun 29, 2018
I think Nintendo has done the smart thing for their messaging. Everything they do is unhampered by live audiences and stage presentations that can skew the goal of their marketing. Direct is such a good name for their presentations because that's what it is. And they can directly gather feedback that isn't skewed by live reactions to weird events. I suspect Sony is trying to figure out a way to do this without being a carbon copy of Nintendo marketing.

Oct 25, 2017
new jersey
lol nintendo is piggy-backing off of those who do present at E3. The others pay for the venue, pay for the time, pay for fees and marketing and whatnot, while Nintendo just uploads a pre-recorded video on the internet and hosts it.
E3 isn't just about press conferences. Why do people keep thinking this? Nintendo continues to have a huge booth that shows their shit to the public/press. Just because they do a pre-recorded message doesn't mean they're piggy-backing off others.

Necron

â–˛ Legend â–˛
Oct 25, 2017
Switzerland
I feel like some smart person at Sony saw how much money was wasted on their presentation last year (with the different marquees and performances and people having to move from one place to another) and just told them to shut it all down. Because that kind of waste is just really stupid.

I think the Nintendo model of a digital event prior to the show and then retaining their floor presence makes the most sense.

This wouldn't surprise me, to be honest. Especially having two spaces for one presentation just seemed ludicrous (I know The Last of Us 2 is special but...)

jariw

Oct 27, 2017
I think Nintendo basically has found a model that worked for them now. They will announce their 1st party games (like Smash) that are playable on the floor during the spring Directs, and any surprises (like Daemon x Machina) will only be demoed during the Treehouse Live.

Daitokuji

Oct 27, 2017
Sony was smart to pull out of E3. Why hold a press conference at the same time as everyone else at the time and location of someone else's choosing? Apple pulled out of Macworld for the same reason years ago.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
This assuramce that Pokemon 2019 is gonna be a big thing for the traditional fans is either going to be the biggest backfire of recent gaming history or the second coming of Gen 5, and I dunno what to feel about it anymore, too much whiplash. But yeah, E3 is a fine venue for the flagship title of the year while featuring news about other titles. They do year round news now, so why bother with underexposition for the other titles.

Deleted member 15538

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd love to see miyamoto live on stage before he retires showing some wii remasters with the shitty joycon motion controls.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

They spend more money on the booth presence than probably anyone else (usually Sony is the only one who has a slightly bigger booth but Nintendo's effort also goes into the presentation), the New Donk City booth looked expensive.

And they also have Treehouse Live for showing live gameplay with the creators of those games.

The only benefits of a live press-conference is console war nonsense, and to be considered by a bunch of elitists who think E3 is only about those conferences.

Nitpicker_Red

Nov 3, 2017
Usually Reggie doesn't have much say in the grand scheme of Nintendo decisions,
except for US Marketting where he's the boss. So this is his domain he's talking about.

He's either more reliable talking about it, or protecting his job, depending on your cynicism. :p

Iwao

Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo is there because they still have a lot of games to announce for Switch.

They also still have plenty of footage to actually debut for announced games like Metroid Prime 4, Bayonetta 3 and Shin Megami Tensei V.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Usually Reggie doesn't have much say in the grand scheme of Nintendo decisions,
except for US Marketting where he's the boss. So this is his domain he's talking about.

He's either more reliable talking about it, or protecting his job, depending on your cynicism. :p

Regular brain: Reggie's job is US marketing and E3 is a great venue for marketing games
Galaxy brain: Reggie loves to show off his Nintendo themed shirts to tease fans

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
E3 will always be very important because a enormous amount of consumers watch it, but they need to figure out what it is. Is it a trade show, or is it a consumer event?

Companies will treat it differently based on what that is. Right now it's some weird hybrid

RagnarokX

Oct 26, 2017
The conferences are technically pre-E3. Nintendo shows up full force to E3 itself. It's on the others that they want to do live conferences.
Actually i feel like Nintendo has redefined what E3 Actually is for the public NOT at the event. The direct is nothing more of a precursor of what we can expect to hear about in more detail immediately following with the Treehouse live. The beauty of treehouse live is that while they too have glitches and errors, they have an abundances of switches sitting there with pre-loaded locales they can switch too to keep the presentation seamless. I don't know if they are exactly saving money since they run live for 6-8 hours over three days. Also, the developers coming out and playing the game and being able to speak candidly and answer questions is FAR greater than any conference. I feel like Treehouse live better speaks to the gamers with it's casual, candid atmosphere.
It's closer to what E3 used to be. In the early days the conferences were small and held at E3. Over the years they became a pissing contest to impress the press attending with how much money they could spend on them; almost bribery.

Nintendo basically decided they had enough of that for two reasons. First off, the press wasn't doing them any favors anyway. Nintendo may not have done a good job revealing the Wii U, but the press did a worse job reporting on it. It was a waste of money so they decided to cut out the middleman and report directly to the fans. The press was really not happy about this and for a few years reported that Nintendo was "skipping E3".

The other reason was that the live format interfered with their motion controls and stuff and technical issues made them look bad. Their current format gives them a lot more control over the presentation of their games.

Regular brain: Reggie's job is US marketing and E3 is a great venue for marketing games
Galaxy brain: Reggie loves to show off his Nintendo themed shirts to tease fans
Reggie was really disappointed with how quickly the Metroid Prime 4 Game Awards thread got locked. He wanted more tears.

PspLikeANut

Free
May 20, 2018
nice article and respect to Nintendo for seeing the value of this event. The thing I always love about this event are the pre e3 threads that are made to hype us up. Prediction and rumor topics are always fun, but i love those topics where people discuss what type of food/beverage they plan on eating for E3. Threads like that really get you in the mood for e3 and it's really hype!