• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

MoonFrog

Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting Doom. Maybe I should get it for PC instead but the novelty of having it portable and on a Nintendo convinced me to finally bite after eyeing it for a while now.

We'll see how it goes.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting Doom. Maybe I should get it for PC instead but the novelty of having it portable and on a Nintendo convinced me to finally bite after eyeing it for a while now.

We'll see how it goes.

Same boat. I only have so much time for PC gaming these days, and it's pretty much taken up by other games atm. Having a portable DOOM will mean that I actually play it.

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
These are actually the next two games I plan on purchasing for my Switch. Also, Axiom Verge and Stardew Valley if I ever get the time to play them. Then Xenoblade in December, which will probably take me the whole month to beat.

DisturbedSwan

Oct 25, 2017
Hampshire, UK.
Double dipping on LA Noire, I may double dip on Rocket League and RE:Revelations Collection (where is this available to pre-order by the way, cannot find it listed anywhere in the UK?!) but not going to with DOOM.

As much as I love my Switch I don't want the beautiful memories of shooting hordes of demons in glorious Ultra 1440p/60fps on PC to be diminished, I may pick it up in a sale at a later date just for the hell of it though, but not on release.

OnanieBomb

Oct 25, 2017
Everyone should play DOOM if they haven't.

Rocket League got old after a weekend, but I'm not a big GaaS type.

Last edited:

Whitemex

Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
i'll double dip on DOOM but i don;t have the time to even be serviceable at Rocket League. The controls just couldn't click with me.

Zem

Oct 25, 2017
United Kingdom
I'll stick to the PC version of doom. Five times the FPS and I can't imagine it's going to control well on those tiny ass joycons sticks. I'm glad it's there for people to enjoy though.

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Already played it on the PS4, so it's a pass for me. For anyone who hasn't played it yet however, do it. Nothing more satisfying than crushing demon brains with your bare hands.

Shinzo

Oct 31, 2017
I already own Doom on PS4 so I won't be picking it up on Day 1 - but will be using the Switch for when I want to go through the game again. The ability to simply play from the cart and not have to worry about what game I can delete from the bloated PS4 is worth it for me.

Rocker League I had when I used to subscribe to PS+, Haven't bothered to update my subscription for a while and so I'm kinda locked out there. That being said, I would rather play in the Switch as it's portable and I can crossplay with a larger player pool than just PS4 & PC players (Won't somebody please think of the children?!?)

HibbySloth

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'm getting Doom but can't get it launch day. Gotta save money to buy my friends Christmas gifts. Maybe I'll pick it up by January.

Fantastical

Oct 27, 2017
I'm very happy Bethesda is bringing this game to Switch but it's pretty shitty for it to be 30fps and $60.

carlosrox

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Vancouver BC
Add BUTCHER to that list.

It's like a 2D Doom. It's one of my favorite Switch games.

Definitely getting Doom (own PC version but never finished), and I'm thinking of trying Rocket League for the first time.

OP gushes almost as much as I do ;)

EJS

The Fallen - Self Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I can endorse both games as well. Fun times, for sure.

Oct 27, 2017
I own Doom on PC, and can run 60fps at 4k, but never finished it. I've already got money on my account waiting for an opportunity to preload. I'm hoping the option pops up this week.

Having it on the Switch is going to be a great experience, and I get to help show third parties that they're wanted on Switch.

Fendajaz

Banned
Oct 29, 2017
DOOM looks great. Didn't get a chance to play it when it initially released. Will wait for a price cut though.

eKongDiddy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 31, 2017
Beach City
Not a fan of sports titles. Had Rocket League through PS+ and wasn't a fan of it. Will get Doom later this month, or LA Noire, depending on how my gaming mood is! Already have Skyrim preloaded and it will take up a lot freetime along with Odyssey. Support those 3rd parties, though!

Forgot about Revelaitons! Have been wanting to play those for a while!

Last edited:

hibikase

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Already got Rocket League from PS+ and while I concede that it is a quality game that deserves the success it has enjoyed, it does nothing for me.

Also the portability aspect of the Switch is pretty lost on an online multiplayer game. So even if I did like Rocket League I still wouldn't bother.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
I'm buying Rocket League.

Eventually, I'll also buy Doom but I'm going to wait until it's cheap because there's no gyro aiming. If they add it later on, I'll get it right away.

Diddy Kong

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Hmm.. might bite on Rocket League for Christmas. Definitely want to support games that offer cross platform play.

rokero

One Winged Slayer
Oct 28, 2017
I'm getting them both I've never played them so they're new games to me

ZeroX

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Speed Force
I've tried Rocket League and didn't "get it".

I watched a friend play DOOM for an hour and could immediately tell it was a great game.

macapala

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Played Doom on PS4 recently so I won't get it on Switch unfortunately. I'm considering Rocket League though.

dickroach

Self-Requested Ban
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
this thread is just a weird sales pitch for ports of 1+ year old games.
you can get the superior PS4/XB1 versions of Doom for $20 now.

qaopjlll

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I would love to play Doom on a handheld, 60 fps is a must for fast paced shooters

Naveed

Oct 27, 2017
I'm probably going to get Rocket League even though I've put over 700 hours in on PC but I'm so torn on DOOM. I haven't played it yet and I own every console. Portability is such a big factor for me but I'm not sure if it is worth the hit in image quality and framerate for me and I also think the price is kind of insane. Skyrim and DOOM should be $40 max for ports this late.

Spectrum

Oct 27, 2017
I will probably skip Doom for the time being. Looks like a solid game, but I'm not fond of gore and blood everywhere, besides I'm on a tight budget this month.

For Rocket League, I will wait for cross platform parties since I don't know anyone else with a Switch.

Medalion

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Dude, November is going to kill my wallet for awhile... I have too many games to own that are all third party big hitters
Doom and Rocket League will be among them

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Switch is the last place id get doom even if it were much cheaper.
Id pick up rocket league at bucks if I were any good at it.

Ill probably get skyrim if i ever find it closer to 30.

Paying full price for any of these games including la noire makes no sense to me when were drowning in actual new releases

bottledfox

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
Yeah, it's a meme now, but I genuinely am so starved for a meaty FPS on Switch that I'm willing to pay full price for a merely serviceable DOOM port, even if I have some reservations. If Wolf 2 is also serviceable, I'll have almost no reservations about getting that one.

Rocket League, well... each of my housemates has a Switch, and they're all getting it on Switch. Even the ones who already own it on PS4 (which is weird because cross-play means they don't have to). So that's a no-brainer for me.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Already played them both months/years ago. I agree that they're great games, but not good enough for me to double dip again at full price. That's the problem with late ports. Very little incentive to wait months/years later to buy them at full price.

Lwill

Oct 28, 2017
this thread is just a weird sales pitch for ports of 1+ year old games.
you can get the superior PS4/XB1 versions of Doom for $20 now.

The Switch's DOOM can be played on the go, so it's not that black and white. The value of that will vary on the person, but alot of people underestimate how much of a big deal that feature is for some gamers.

LuigiMario

Oct 28, 2017
What if the icons suck tho /s

Definitely into Rocket League. Switch has become my favorite weekend companion, I love waking up and playing in bed for like 30 min-1 hour before getting going, so rocket league will be perfect for that. I've been meaning to play Doom on any console but it definitely seems more suited as a TV game... really wish they would have implemented some motion control or the multiplayer of doom was remotely appealing. Might still go the switch route just to support 3rd parties on the platform... is doom suited well for shorter sessions or is it more of a TV game?

Oct 25, 2017
Osaka, Osaka
I already own Rocket League on PS4 because of Plus, and I will probably just end up buying Doom on PS4 because it's cheaper and 60fps matters to me for that type of game.

It's cool people who only have a Switch can play them now, but it just doesn't make much sense for me to indulge otherwise.
Same with LA noire. I was very close to purchasing it on PS3 the exact day they announced the remake. The enhancements for PS4 seem too good for me, and it's the type of game I'd want to play on the big screen.

Rocket League has a chance because maybe I'll want to play multiplayer with other people in tabletop mode, as I already do with my Switch.

PetrCobra

Oct 27, 2017
Yeah, it's a meme now, but I genuinely am so starved for a meaty FPS on Switch that I'm willing to pay full price for a merely serviceable DOOM port, even if I have some reservations. If Wolf 2 is also serviceable, I'll have almost no reservations about getting that one.

Rocket League, well... each of my housemates has a Switch, and they're all getting it on Switch. Even the ones who already own it on PS4 (which is weird because cross-play means they don't have to). So that's a no-brainer for me.
Yeah, not true. PS4 is excluded from cross-play because Sony doesn't want to allow it.

Deleted member 1852

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The problem with DOOM is its repetition. You do the exact same thing over and over and over and over for over 10 hours. You walk down a corridor, the doors lock, and you have to kill every single demon that spawns from thin air. That's pretty much the entire game. You push a button. The doors lock. You have to kill all the demons that spawn from thin air. It's incredibly predictable.

Some people love it. I personally didn't, and people should be aware that it doesn't really have anything to offer beyond locked door arenas. Sure, there is some exploration and some secrets, but these are just brief interludes between yet another locked door arena sequence, none of which vary meaningfully from the last one. You get to Hell, and there are more locked door arenas where you fight the same enemies over and over and over. It's like the literal opposite of Wolfenstein II, where you can often bypass combat using stealth or simply running like hell. DOOM is all about these arenas. The game revolves around them. If you don't like being forced to fight in arenas... yea, that's a problem.
DOOM is fundamentally a game about shooting demons. If you aren't interested in shooting demons, you probably shouldn't be playing DOOM.

The arenas are all different and interesting to fight in, you can carry every weapon you get so you can use all the guns you like, and there are plenty of enemy types. Yes, you are fighting in arenas. That doesn't mean you're doing the same thing for 10 hours. The combat and environment varies quite widely during your journey to Hell and back. No one complains about how in Call of Duty you run forward for 10 hours and shoot guys and duck behind cover and wait for your health to regenerate. No one complains about how in Gears of War you hide behind waist-height objects and shoot enemies who are also hiding behind waist-height objects for 10 hours. No one complains about how in Destiny you have to stand by an object which is very important while waves of enemies attack you for 10 hours. So I don't get the complaining about DOOM here. Every shooter has, to some degree, repetition because you point your gun at an enemy and shoot it. DOOM's particular form of repetition is locked arenas.