• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

newmoneytrash

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Melbourne, Australia
I'm double dipping with DOOM. That game is too good not to

I kind of had my fill of Rocket Legaue, though, but I'm glad to see it's still coming to the platform

this thread is just a weird sales pitch for ports of 1+ year old games.
you can get the superior PS4/XB1 versions of Doom for $20 now.
I mean the thread is specifically for Nintendo fans who probably haven't had a chance to play them

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

1 year old games seem to sell very well on Switch (MK8 and Pokkén). For some people, me included, portability is a bigger deal than slightly better framerates.

Drizzy Finks

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
If I didn't already have DOOM on PC, I would have gotten it on Switch. I'm in for Rocket League though. I got it on PS+ but portability is too difficult to resist.

Vishmarx

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What if you don't have those consoles?
In all honesty then skyrim is a better game to get.

1 year old games seem to sell very well on Switch (MK8 and Pokkén). For some people, me included, portability is a bigger deal than slightly better framerates.
Pokken didn't do THAT well iirc, did we hear anything about at their latest financial briefing? . Mk8 is mk8.
It sold 8 million a wii u,. A freaking wii u. Itll sell on anything.
And 30fps to 60fps isnt a 'slight' framerate bump and im not even one to care for 60fps.
More importantly this isnt a game designed for 30fps.

Last edited:

Dr. Caroll

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
DOOM is fundamentally a game about shooting demons. If you aren't interested in shooting demons, you probably shouldn't be playing DOOM.

The arenas are all different and interesting to fight in, you can carry every weapon you get so you can use all the guns you like, and there are plenty of enemy types. Yes, you are fighting in arenas. That doesn't mean you're doing the same thing for 10 hours. The combat and environment varies quite widely during your journey to Hell and back. No one complains about how in Call of Duty you run forward for 10 hours and shoot guys and duck behind cover and wait for your health to regenerate. No one complains about how in Gears of War you hide behind waist-height objects and shoot enemies who are also hiding behind waist-high objects for 10 hours. So I don't get the complaining about DOOM here. Every shooter has, to some degree, repetition because you point your gun at enemy and shoot it. DOOM's particular form of repetition is locked arenas.
Call of Duty doesn't lock you in predictable arenas for 10+ hours and force you to kill waves of enemies. There was a Call of Duty game that did that. It was called Call of Duty: Black Ops III and it was terrible. Call of Duty games set themselves apart by constantly mixing up the gameplay to keep things fresh. Stealth sections, vehicle sections, sections where you play as a dog, sections where you fight in space, underwater, in a collapsing skyscraper, etc. Doom 2016's combat does not vary meaningfully in that 10+ hours. You just run in circles shooting enemies wishing the game would do something unexpected instead of locking you in yet another arena to shoot even more boring demons. Doom 2016 plays a lot like Painkiller. It plays a lot like those terrible sections in Shadow Warrior 2013 where you smashed the shrine thing and all the doors locked and you had to kill demons that spawned from thin air for 10 minutes. Doom 2016 is obnoxiously repetitive. It's like playing a singleplayer arena shooter, and I think to some degree that's the audience it appeals to. Arena shooter fans. The arenas in hell are just as repetitive and boring as the arenas on Mars. You play 10 minutes of Doom 2016, and you've seen everything the uncreative, sloggish, and predictable campaign has to offer. You walk into a room and you know with 100% certainty what is going to happen.

I'd rank Doom 64 as the best Doom game and Doom 2016 as the weakest. It's a deeply mediocre game. But I do appreciate that some people love it, just as some people love Call of Duty: Black Ops III. Different strokes for different folks. For me, repetition and a lack of gameplay freedom, anything unexpected, or anything interesting are a design flaw in an FPS game.

And it's a shame because Doom 2016 is otherwise a really well designed FPS game. It's the repetition and poor pacing that kills it. Kinda like Mafia III.

brinstar

User requested ban
Oct 25, 2017
I'm definitely getting both down the line, but for now I'm going with Skyrim and Pokemon UM I think.

I rented DOOM on PS4 and beat it, but I'll probably check out the Switch version if I can find a deal.

Tony

Oct 27, 2017
100% in for Rocket League, I own it on every platform it's out for already, but being able to play this (even just against the bots) on the go will be glorious. I am a bit concerned on how difficult it will be to see the ball at the other end of the pitch on that small screen, though.

Oct 27, 2017
I own both on Xbox.
Rocket League is cheap enough that I might double dip.

Doom is super tempting as I love technical show pieces. But the price might have to come down before I can justify it to myself. I'll probably cave in just so I can show people Doom 2016 running on a handheld. It still blows my mind that it's coming.

JDSN

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Stop doing this to me, im still trying to finish Zelda, Odyssey is next in line and you people are about to make me order a game in not game play until next year.

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
But I'm still busy with the incredible amazingness that is Super Mario Odyssey :O but I'll consider them

Lastplace09

Oct 28, 2017
East Coast USA
Portable Doom is what anyone who had a Vita could only have dreamed of.

I'm sooooo supporting Doom and Skyrim but I may take a pass on Rocket League. November is going to be expensive already on Switch.

Pikachu

Traded his Bone Marrow for Pizza
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
No desire for Rocket League; have Doom on PS4 already.

Parisi

Oct 27, 2017
I played a bit of DOOM on PS4 and it was fun, but I had other things I wanted to play at the time, so I never came close to finishing it. If the reviews for DOOM on the switch are good, I'll probably pick it up, so I can play when I have time, and finally finish it.

Rocket League was great on PS4, but at some point every competitor I faced was insane and just like other MP games, I lost interest because of how good the competitors were and how crappy I was, so I'll probably pass on the switch version.

Ausroachman

Oct 27, 2017
I loved doom , it was my fav FPS last year , but I can't justify another purchase for full price , no matter how good portable is. I feel it really needed something extra like more arena fights / campaign

Bán

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Love my Switch but I got Rocket League free with PS+ and I don't see why I wouldn't play Doom at double the framerate for half the price on my PS4 Pro. If you don't have any other options or use the Switch primarily as a handheld, I can see the appeal. But not for me.

Deleted member 24097

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 29, 2017
Triple dipping on Rocket League.
For those who are on the fence, this is a game I didn't feel particularly interested in beforehand, I normally play neither car games nor soccer games.
And I seldom play online competitive games.

I picked Rocket League during a Steam sale just to try it out, and 700 hours in, I still love it. Yes, seven hundred hours.
Saying this as someone who gave a hard pass on Dragon Quest VII back when it came out on PS1 simply because someone told me it took them about 100 hours to finish it and that felt insane. I seriously never thought I'd put this much time in a single game.
Let alone an online competitive one.

nampad

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Superior in what way? Graphics are slightly prettier and the frame rate is slightly improve which would mean its a improvement I wouldn't notice anyway. Can I take the PS4/Xbox's version with me and conviantly play it on my ride like the Switch version? I could spend 20$ on a version of the game that I won't play or I can spend more on a version that I'll get my money's worth out of and it's somehow inferior. Meh... typical internet response. #differentlifestyle

While portability is also more important for me than graphics, I wouldn't call the difference in graphics and especially framerate "slightly".

Oct 26, 2017
I'll be all over doom once it releases where I'm at. Probably pick up rocket league too just to support crossplatform play though not sure if it's my thing.

Ryuelli

Oct 26, 2017
I think Rocket League is one of the best games of the generation. I'm definitely double dipping on that one.

Doom is still iffy for me, might wait and buy it used.

Soul Skater

Oct 25, 2017
Wi have both already. I'll provably get rocket league again, but I'm thinking I'll end up getting Skyrim on switch instead of doom. I'll wait for a price drop on doom probably

I don't really think doom seems like something I'd want to play on the go or make use of the portability in order to make it worth it. That seems like something I'd rather play docked. And given how it runs half the speed and looks worse at full price I'm not sure I can pull the trigger right now

Deleted member 23965

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
For you and anyone else who notices it. I don't. If it's not painfully obvious like a slight freeze/stutter I don't notice it or even care to.

Edit: and for the record I have a hard time seeing the difference between resolutions also. I can tell the difference in resolution between a Atari game and a Switch game though.

I am also a dude who doesn't care much for 60 fps. In most PC games, I will dial the graphics up and not bother with trying to reach 60 fps at all. In fact, I would love it if Mario Kart and Mario Odyssey had 30 fps modes that improved the graphics further. I would not have bothered with 60 fps in those slow paced games (Slow paced in how I play it, not how a skilled player plays it)

However, you will notice the reduced framerate in this game. Doom and Shadow Warrior II are the only games that I have played that are so affected when dropping down to 30 fps. That 60 fps is really needed for the fast paced gameplay. I dropped down to 720p for both of these games to get a steady 60 fps on my laptop and it was an essential tradeoff.

On topic, bought Doom on a discount for Steam because of posts that claimed that Shadow Warrior II was a poor man's Doom. Since I loved Shadow Warrior II enough to complete it and replay it, I though Doom must be worth my while. After playing an hour or so, I realized that Doom is simply not my kind of game, will never go back to it again. Same with Skyrim and L.A. Noire, these games are languishing in my Steam backlog and honestly not even worth it at 10$ to me. If there is ever a complete Borderlands port to Switch, I will gladly pay full price to have a portable version of those games. Would also double dip for Shadow Warrior II.

Last edited:

Bjoern

Oct 26, 2017
Germany
Both games will definitely get my attention. I have Doom pre-ordered already, even though I 100%ed it on PC. It's such a good game that it warrants a double-dip. And that double-dip shall be the game on the go.
Love it.

I have never played Rocket League but was always interested in it. It appearing on a Nintendo console automatically heightened my interest in it even more, so I'm probably buying it at or close to launch. Need to see what all the fuzz is about.

Lord Azrael

Oct 25, 2017
I'm considering Doom because they said recently that it supports gyro aiming. I'm not great with traditional dual analog shooting so this would be a deciding factor for me. I don't know that I want to get it at full price though, considering it's much cheaper on other systems. I will probably get it sometime down the line.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
As someone who loved them on PS4, I'm encouraging Nintendo-only gamers to give them a shot despite them normally not being in their wheelhouse.

Oct 28, 2017
I already have Doom on PC and Rocket League on PS4 and PC. I will be buying both of these games again on Switch because they are both amazing. And I will be very surprised if, just is the case on PS4 and PC, Rocket League is not going to be by far my most played Switch game.

iyox

Oct 25, 2017
I am guessing most people on this forum have already indulged in these games. I am will probably double(triple) dip on rocket league.

Minako

Oct 25, 2017
It's absolutely fascinating how people don't seem to understand that this thread is meant for Switch owners that haven't played either of these two games for whatever reason. OP isn't saying you need to double dip and get this on Switch, they're saying that if you've got a Switch you shouldn't sleep on these games anymore if you did for previous versions.

Nav

Oct 27, 2017
I will have to pass for now and take a look at these next year. There have been too many first party games this year for me to have time for indie and third party titles so far. I will be playing Animal Crossing, Pokemon, and Xenoblade to round out the year, and until then catching up on 6 or so 3DS titles.

chicken_pasta

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
I own a PS4 and barely use it, which is why I haven't gotten neither DOOM nor RL. I'm pretty sure I'll be buying at least one of them on the Switch, though, as portability adds a lot imo.

MadMike

Oct 27, 2017
As much as I loved Doom when I played it on my PS4, I have a hard time justifying another purchase when it's $60. Even if it wasn't limited to 30 FPS, coughing up $60 for a game that's $20 or less on every other platform is a tough sell for me. But since I liked it so much, I might be willing to give it another go if/when it hits the $15-$20 mark. I'm kind of in the same boat with Skyrim. I've already purchased so many copies that I really can't justify picking it up again at $60.

I might check out Rocket League, despite already owning it on PS4, simply because it would be great on a handheld and the price is right. It also helps that I never actually had to buy a copy.

KratosEnergyDrink

Using an alt account to circumvent a ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

But you would have to get the 4+ year old consoles as well, and they are unplayable in bed and on a dog walk. Better use the new shiny Switch, besides all cool people play Switch now!

Seriously were come such comments from?

Richietto

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
North Carolina
If you don;t own Doom on another platform its worth it. Not so much if you already have it. Rocket League however is worth the double dip.