• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.

Phoenom

Avenger
Oct 28, 2017
I'm going to pass on Rocket League since I'm really not keen on online multiplayer-focused experiences (likely the reason why I sold Splatoon 2 I guess), but I'm giving Doom a shot. With how much good I've heard about the single player, I'm hoping it can get past my general disinterest for FPSes as a whole. Your posts on the old forum helped that choice along Neiteio, love your threads. :D

Kill3r7

Oct 25, 2017
Call of Duty doesn't lock you in predictable arenas for 10+ hours and force you to kill waves of enemies. There was a Call of Duty game that did that. It was called Call of Duty: Black Ops III and it was terrible. Call of Duty games set themselves apart by constantly mixing up the gameplay to keep things fresh. Stealth sections, vehicle sections, sections where you play as a dog, sections where you fight in space, underwater, in a collapsing skyscraper, etc. Doom 2016's combat does not vary meaningfully in that 10+ hours. You just run in circles shooting enemies wishing the game would do something unexpected instead of locking you in yet another arena to shoot even more boring demons. Doom 2016 plays a lot like Painkiller. It plays a lot like those terrible sections in Shadow Warrior 2013 where you smashed the shrine thing and all the doors locked and you had to kill demons that spawned from thin air for 10 minutes. Doom 2016 is obnoxiously repetitive. It's like playing a singleplayer arena shooter, and I think to some degree that's the audience it appeals to. Arena shooter fans. The arenas in hell are just as repetitive and boring as the arenas on Mars. You play 10 minutes of Doom 2016, and you've seen everything the uncreative, sloggish, and predictable campaign has to offer. You walk into a room and you know with 100% certainty what is going to happen.

I'd rank Doom 64 as the best Doom game and Doom 2016 as the weakest. It's a deeply mediocre game. But I do appreciate that some people love it, just as some people love Call of Duty: Black Ops III. Different strokes for different folks. For me, repetition and a lack of gameplay freedom, anything unexpected, or anything interesting are a design flaw in an FPS game.

And it's a shame because Doom 2016 is otherwise a really well designed FPS game. It's the repetition and poor pacing that kills it. Kinda like Mafia III.

Could not disagree more. Doom 2016 is one of the best FPS games ever made. That said, I would not play Doom at 30fps.

Bestlaidplans

Oct 28, 2017
Rocket league for a 3rd time for sure. On the switch will be excellent. One of the reasons I was so hyped at the E3 presentation

Zoc

Oct 27, 2017
What's the advantage of Doom on Switch? Games like Skyrim or LA Noire seem like natural fits to me, because they are relatively slow-paced, repetitive games, that therefore require less concentration and are perfect for playing on the bus or other distracting environments.
Doom, on the other hand, looks incredibly intense and pretty short. That seems like the opposite of a game suited to the Switch.

OP
OP
Neiteio

Neiteio

Oct 25, 2017
What's the advantage of Doom on Switch? Games like Skyrim or LA Noire seem like natural fits to me, because they are relatively slow-paced, repetitive games, that therefore require less concentration and are perfect for playing on the bus or other distracting environments.
Doom, on the other hand, looks incredibly intense and pretty short. That seems like the opposite of a game suited to the Switch.
DOOM is a meaty single-player campaign that you can play in short bursts or for hours at a time. It's perfect for a hybrid system like Switch.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
They are indeed. I'm only getting one myself- Rocket League- but the quality of both of them is pretty much indisputable. Especially as far as gameplay is concerned, even if the Switch keeps its early momentum up I doubt it gets a dozen games with better core gameplay than these 2, they're that good.

Just a bit disappointed in DOOM's price point as well as its lack of gyro motion controls

Ravelle

Oct 31, 2017
I already finished Doom on PC so I'm good on that one.

I'm probably going to triple dip on Rocket League.

Eolz

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
FR
I don't like Rocket League and while I loved Doom on PC, that port is way too expensive (not asking for it to be at 10$ like some here, but come on).

Also, I doubt there's many Nintendo fans that don't have a PC or another console tbh...

Rich

Oct 28, 2017
England
Got Doom preordered. Already have it on PC, but can't miss out on having a proper handheld version.

I'll buy rocket league for sure too.

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Does non Nintendo/japanese games ever sell well on Nintendo consoles?
It's not like there's a huge amount of equivalent releases on the Wii and WiiU where we can compare like with like. Late ports (particularly poor value efforts like a full price late port of Mass Effect 3 on WiiU when the trilogy had released elsewhere) often don't do so well, original titles like Dead Space: Extraction did fairly well, Just Dance was a phenomenon.

Skyrim is going to do well for being one of the most popular titles of recent years, in that case it's not that it's a western game and more that it's mainstream appeal, awareness, accessibility and promotion is really high.

Deleted member 20295

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Manchester, UK
I am getting Doom, i have it on PC and can run it maxed at 60fps - but being able to play this on a bus/during lunch at work it just to tempting.

As for Rocket League, i want it - however my Switch can't connect to my work Wi-Fi network (as it requires a pop up that the Switch won't show) and Vodafone tethering doesn't work either due to the Nat setting, as such its not very good for portable play (it may be time to switch my mobile to Three, as it apparently does work with tethering on Switch).

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
No it was pretty much a genuine question. I don't follow Nintendo game sales closely at all. But I don't really think I ever see or hear about games for Nintendo consoles unless it's their own games, or something like Monster Hunter, Pokemon or Fire Emblem.
To be fair if you don't follow the console it's no wonder you don't really know, I don't follow PlayStation or Xbox sales and wouldn't have a clue about what sells well outside of Naughty Dog, Halo etc either.

Raijinto

self-requested ban
Banned
Oct 28, 2017
No it was pretty much a genuine question. I don't follow Nintendo game sales closely at all. But I don't really think I ever see or hear about games for Nintendo consoles unless it's their own games, or something like Monster Hunter or Fire Emblem.

Fire Emblem is- and always has been-a Nintendo game franchise.

Think you're out of your depth here if that's the extent of your investment/knowledge.

Trickster

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
To be fair if you don't follow the console it's no wonder you don't really know, I don't follow PlayStation or Xbox sales and wouldn't have a clue about what sells well outside of Naughty Dog, Halo etc either.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't third party games outside of a very few such as Monster Hunter, tend to sell pretty terribly?

Fire Emblem is- and always has been-a Nintendo game franchise.

Think you're out of your depth here if that's the extent of your investment/knowledge.

Okay. Could you at least point in the direction of the western games that do really well on Nintendo consoles then?. Granted I do remember that the Just Dance games sold well, so my initial question was technically incorrect.

Last edited:

Deleted member 4518

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Double dipping on Rocket League. If Doom wasn't full price I'd double dip on it too. If you haven't played it before and we're thinking about it in the Switch I'd definitely recommend it too. It's an awesome game.

Oct 25, 2017
Though every version of Rocket League has gotten its map pool downgraded (to arena standards only), I'll still be getting it for portability =-(

Spartacris

Oct 26, 2017
Los Angeles
Both will be mine. I appreciate your in depth reasoning Nieteio. I'm going in fresh so your opinion was interesting and makes me excited to try them.

Currygan

Oct 25, 2017
not sure about DOOM, will probably wait for a sale. Rocket League is bought, and I will have SKYRIM to keep me busy for hundreds of hours anyway

Redcrayon

Patient hunter
On Break
Oct 27, 2017
UK
Correct me if I'm wrong, but didn't third party games outside of a very few such as Monster Hunter, tend to sell pretty terribly?

Okay. Could you at least point in the direction of the western games that do really well on Nintendo consoles then?. Granted I do remember that the Just Dance games sold well, so my initial question was technically incorrect.
When the same game is released simultaneously on a Nintendo console, or is an exclusive (Dead Space Extraction), or is a bit of a phenomenon (Skyrim) its fine. When it's a late port and a downgrade, it's understandbly not. The reason for poor sales of western third parties on Nintendo consoles isn't that owners of Nintendo consoles don't buy them. It's that those same third parties have a habit of putting out a full price downgraded port a year or more later and then wondering why the install base is focusing on something else (like the (often high-quality) first party games) when the same game they are flogging is by then available for a tenner second-hand on other systems.

99humanity

Oct 25, 2017
Though every version of Rocket League has gotten its map pool downgraded (to arena standards only), I'll still be getting it for portability =-(
Good, I hated the non standard maps in playlists :)

I want both of these for the novelty of having them on Switch but not worth the double / triple dip for me yet

Grim Patron

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Definitely agree with both.

I bought DOOM day one on PS4 and Xbox. Then got a PC physical. Love it. In for a Switch copy day one. No qualms about 60$ since there isn't BS like WWE or NBA.

For Rocket League, liked it from PS+ and eventually bought 2 physicals and then digital on Xbox One. In day one here as well.

Namko

Oct 27, 2017
I'm going to buy Rocket League for a second time (already have the PC version). I wonder how it plays with a pro controller and in handheld mode.

Rebel-TT

One Winged Slayer
Oct 30, 2017
Tobago
Thanks for the gentle reminder. No doubt both games are worth the price of entry and should not be ignored.

I agree that there may be the issue of simply too many games for the Switch, which is a new problem for Nintendo fans.

Third parties that take the pains to port successful, big-budget AAA games and massive, indie hits, once the ports are quality, should be rewarded for their efforts.

By this December, I'll be in for Doom, Skyrim, Rocket League and LA Noire at least, if the impressions are favourable. Resident Evil may even be bought down the line.

What an incredible time to own a Switch!

As a longtime Nintendo fan, it feels so good that they've finally gotten so much right on a single machine.

2018 and 2019 seem promising too. What a thing!

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
I just hope for the love of God that Doom is a good port.

I have a pretty good feeling about the Bethesda ports given how stoked Todd Howard was on the Switch early on.

Of course, that's entirely unsubstantiated by any kind of logic, but whatevs. I think they will be at least "good."

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
Lots of mixed posts in here have me worrying about how well these will do.

I mean, if enthusiasts on this forum are hesitant about buying these, who will?

Hope I'm just overthinking it.

Speely

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Lots of mixed posts in here have me worrying about how well these will do.

I mean, if enthusiasts on this forum are hesitant about buying these, who will?

Hope I'm just overthinking it.

It will be an interesting litmus test for AAA Western devs for sure. I don't think any of us really know how it will go.

Epinephrine

Oct 27, 2017
North Carolina
I think $60 for DOOM on Switch is a fair price, especially if you haven't already played it, because 1) it's a freaking awesome game, 2) it's been rebuilt from the ground up to achieve the "impossible" on Switch, and 3) this game is so perfect for a handheld — the fact it's also a console version adds to the value.

I'm with you on every point. The decrease in the sale price of games over time has become something we all expect, but I don't think it's a fair expectation on a new port. It's sale value within ecosystems where it has been avaialable going down makes sense, I pretty much only buy PC games in bundles or on deep discount.

However, the idea that a game should be discounted because it's a year out from release is kind of absurd. What value has Doom lost in the past year? It's a gorgeous game and nothing about it has aged (mechanics, physics, etc). So, I think it's completely reasonable to ask full price for a game that kicks ass, has near universal acclaim, is relatively new and has some brand new development costs tacked on.

I'm thrifty on PC because I was out of the game for like 15 years and had a lot of catching up to do. I do the occasional new release as well, just not too often because of that deep backlog of mostly kickass indies and some classics. I don't flinch to drop $60 on a Switch release, hell MK8D was a double dip for me and I did that happily even though I had been playing MK8 for quite a long time.

Zombegoast

Oct 30, 2017
I already have Doom on PC.

For anyone who's going to play for the first time, play on Ultra Violence. Anything below it is not acceptable.

Oct 27, 2017
I am definitely picking up Doom despite already owning it on PC.

Rocket League? Nah, that shit got old after 10 or so hours.

JigglesBunny

Prophet of Truth
Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Chicago
Day 1 buys for me despite owning both of them on every other platform they're available on.

I want developers to know that people want these games on the platform. Plus, I want to foster a good online community and enjoy both of them portably. It's a no brainer for me.

Chrizzy_81

Oct 28, 2017
England
I'm so pumped for rocket league switch. Even though I've got it on PS4 and PC already, the portable aspect is going to drive my hours played into the stratosphere. I'm interested in Doom, but already have it on PS4 so unless there's some exclusive content I'm probably out on that one.

Wiggles

Oct 28, 2017
I played Doom at over 100fps on PC at 1440p. This is not a brag - it was one the most incredible gaming experiences i've had this gen mostly because of the speed and responsiveness of the mouse controls. Some of the later encounters really tested me even with a mouse, so I just cannot imagine the game being anywhere near as perfect when using a controller, let alone running at a third of that framerate.

Rocket League on the other hand, I might double dip for if the port is good.

Oct 27, 2017
Ive been mostly a Nintendo only gamer, but have a PC and rocket league is one of a few games i spend all my time on.

Tons of fun. Easy to get sucked into.

Might check out doom if i can get it cheap.