• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Nintendo of America has filed a lawsuit on Sept. 10 against the owner of ROM website RomUniverse. The company is seeking damages in the amount of $150,000 for each copyright infringement, and up to $2 million for each trademark infringement. Nintendo says that the pirated games display "counterfeit copies of Nintendo's trademarks" when the games are played, as well as infringing the copyright of the works themselves.

RomUniverse reportedly offers memberships to its site, priced at $30 per year. The membership allows users to download "an unlimited number of pirated games, [referred to as ROMs,] with higher speeds than non-members," Nintendo alleges. The company says in the lawsuit that RomUniverse is "among the most visited and notorious online hubs for pirated Nintendo video games," with nearly 300,000 downloads for the offered Nintendo Switch games and "more than 500,000" downloads for Nintendo 3DS games.

Close if old.

Serene

Community Resettler
Oct 25, 2017
source.gif

thepenguin55

Oct 28, 2017
I would agree that charging for ROMs of games you don't own the rights to is pretty fucking brazen. Some might even say that it's incredibly stupid.

Flon

Is Here to Kill Chaos
Oct 27, 2017
They were offering a paid membership to download pirated Switch ROMs...?

What on earth.

--R

Being sued right now, please help me find a lawyer
Oct 25, 2017
Paying to pirate stuff kinda defeats the whole purpose of pirating stuff. It's really scummy to make people pay for that, man. Good on Nintendo.

ckareset

Attempted to circumvent ban with an alt account
Banned
Feb 2, 2018
>RomUniverse reportedly offers memberships to its site, priced at $30 per year.

Lol, terrible idea

Conkerkid11

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
Emuparadise has the same membership deal.

Pretty sure this is the monetization method for most of these websites.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There's really a site out there offering paid membership to access pirated stuffs?
Like with no pretense of being just unnamed files or something?

How the fuck weren't they sued before and why is only Nintendo suing them?

Rosebud

Two Pieces
Apr 16, 2018
wow, I had no idea that Switch piracy was that easy already

Last edited:

Zero-ELEC

The Wise Ones
Oct 25, 2017
México
Yo, a lawsuit and not a C&D? What could possibly--
RomUniverse reportedly offers memberships to its site, priced at $30 per year. [...] with nearly 300,000 downloads for the offered Nintendo Switch games and "more than 500,000" downloads for Nintendo 3DS games.
Hahah what the fuck? Offering memberships? For, like, money? For consoles that are currently being sold?

Play stupid games, win stupid prizes.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
More so than that, I'm wondering who actually pays for something like that.
That's a stupid thing to even entertain.
If the paper trail can catch up to you, you may be considered liable.
Like any company looking for free cash on a bad day could look at that info for potential wallets.

gozu

Oct 27, 2017
America
I'm glad Nintendo is suing them. How dare they profit from the hard work of others? Shameful and brazen!

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
There were BBSs decades ago that would let users pay to have full leech access so that you didn't have to maintain UL/DL ratios. This sort of thing is nothing new.
I mean I get that but at least there's a pretense that it's NOT just for pirated game for this.
And we're talking like nearly a whole full decade after the MEGA empire collapse even!
Don't tell me anyone hosting the site is legally anywhere there's a copyright law, that would be playing with fire on a rainy day when water is really just gas.

Deleted member 57361

User requested account closure
Banned
Jun 2, 2019
Who the fuck pays a membership to pirate games? It's not like you can't find nintendo games in other places.

Jebusman

Oct 27, 2017
Halifax, NS
Torrent sites do this all the time. Pay money to become VIP and skirt the ratio rules. It was always going to bite them in the ass one of these days.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
On information and belief, defendant Matthew Storman is a natural person who resides in this District. Defendant Storman owns or controls the Website.
W
T
F
Someone is getting hardcore fucked by the state of California soon.

lord_of_flood

One Winged Slayer
Jan 1, 2018
Paid memberships to pirate stuff? Yeah, that's really scummy and also kind of defeats the point of pirating. I'm 100% good with Nintendo going after these guys, since they're actually profiting off of someone else's work. Pretty shameful.

ggdeku

Oct 26, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Advocating piracy
Paying a membership is stupid. Roms should be free to download.

But still nintendo taking down rom sites sucks ass and they shouldnt be praised for it.

Oct 25, 2017
Silicon Valley
The crazy thing is the premium membership for faster/ unlimited downloads is a legit business model for a lot of file sharing sites.

Of course they are usually for things like mods, original music, etc. and not for friggin' pirated software.

Hopefully this plays out well for Nintendo.

Wamb0wneD

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Paying to pirate stuff kinda defeats the whole purpose of pirating stuff. It's really scummy to make people pay for that, man. Good on Nintendo.
Eh, piracy is scummy, too. So dumb pirates paying to pirate shit and the scummy website that charges for pirated content deserve each other. It's like poetry, it rhymes.

Oct 25, 2017
Motherfucking Nintendo, I love them but please leave sites that focus on old roms alone, I wish they would at least try to provide a service for old stuff, what they are doing so far is laughable at best.

Edit: I'm mostly talking about attacking sites focused on preservation, if it's new stuff and it's paid then yeah whatever.

Last edited:

Dylan

Oct 28, 2017
User Banned (3 days): Admitting to piracy
Time to cancel my membership.

Edit: It was obviously a joke you soulless robo-twat mod.

Last edited:

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Motherfucking Nintendo, I love you but leave fucking roms of old systems alone when you fuckers won't even provide a service for them.

Of course, is this is paid then lol, but they have done shit like this before for other stuff and it sucks.
What are you talking about?
They provide a lot of their catalog online since they started.
They don't have rare pieces but they certainly provide an effort to try and satiate the demand.
so piracy is fine when it's free?
At least there's an argument to be made for preservation in that case.
But when it's blatant for profit operations, like lol what are you doing.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
User Banned (3 days): advocating piracy
Paying a membership is stupid. Roms should be free to download.

But still nintendo taking down rom sites sucks ass and they shouldnt be praised for it.
Agreed for ROMs of games no longer for official sale, but this site was offering Switch and 3DS ROMs. Let them burn