• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Kalor

Resettlement Advisor
Oct 25, 2017
Nintendo are going after anyone hosting Switch roms now. I have issues with their handling of rom sites before but when they're charging $30 and hosting games for actively sold consoles, it's a lot more understandable compared to previous cases.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
no there's not, but i see that's where the thread is headed now.
preservation isn't about offering free roms to pirates.
roms of pokemon games or super mario world aren't in danger of getting lost.
Don't misunderstand me.
I'm not saying it's a good argument.
I'm saying someone can make the point without being ridiculously transparent.
But here that's quite clearly not the case.
And seriously there's no reason to have any fear of Nintendo games being lost.
they do their archival well and proved it times and again.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Motherfucking Nintendo, I love you but leave fucking roms of old systems alone when you fuckers won't even provide a service for them.

Of course, is this is paid then lol, but they have done shit like this before for other stuff and it sucks.

Yeah stupid Nintendo going after sites hosting ROMs for old systems like *checks notes* the 3DS and Switch.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Don't misunderstand me.
I'm not saying it's a good argument.
I'm saying someone can make the point without being ridiculously transparent.
But here that's quite clearly not the case.
And seriously there's no reason to have any fear of Nintendo games being lost.
they do their archival well and proved it times and again.
yeah. the argument for preservation fails when you go to these websites and see the most downloaded games are always super popular stuff that never in a million years would be in danger of being lost. it's not like these rom sites are exclusively offering obscure roms of games by companies no one ever heard of.

LazyLain

Jan 17, 2019
Paying to pirate stuff kinda defeats the whole purpose of pirating stuff. It's really scummy to make people pay for that, man. Good on Nintendo.
It's scummy to be profiting off of piracy for sure, but paying to pirate doesn't entirely defeat the point... it could still be cheaper, more convenient and offer a better selection than legit channels, and safer/more convenient than other illicit channels.

(Note: This isn't a defense of piracy, just listing a few reasons why a pirate might pay)

Deleted member 12352

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Paid memberships? Fuck 'em... dug their own grave here.

Harder to disagree with than Nintendo's usual punching down against rom sites at least.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
yeah. the argument for preservation fails when you go to these websites and see the most downloaded games are always super popular stuff that never in a million years would be in danger of being lost. it's not like these rom sites are exclusively offering obscure roms of games by companies no one ever heard of.
It was always a smokescreen if you ask me.
Under the pretense of trying to archive old game they're really just providing SMB, SMW and other uber popular games for free.
It's certainly convenient to use but let's not kid ourselves in what it really is.

Lant_War

Classic Anus Game
The Fallen
Jul 14, 2018
What's even the point of downloading games illegally if you're gonna pay lol.

Bjones

Oct 30, 2017
Preservation is a BS excuse.. there are preservation society's out there and preservation Does not mean " free for download "

Hailinel

Shamed a mod for a tag
Oct 27, 2017
How brazen/stupid do you have to be to run a ROM piracy site with a paid membership service?

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Preservation is a BS excuse.. there are preservation society's out there and preservation Does not mean " free for download "
If preservation was the issue, people would be creating museums en masse to cover that problem.
And I'm talking like a museum per city bigger than 1000 people.

There are Nintendo Switch games on that site, not just "old roms"
And even the "old roms" excuse doesn't fly anymore when the "old roms" are actively part of their strategy now.
It's not like they're left to rot in a cellar somewhere, they're actively distributed.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, saying rom sites help preservation is actually disrespectful to people who care about and work towards preserving old video games. those people don't feel the need to offer the games for free.

Gnorman

Banned
Jan 14, 2018
User banned (1 week): admitting to piracy, trolling
Ffs. I better get a partial refund if they get closed down!

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

For example, I belong to one. We preserved Sonic Xtreme. One condition of our ability to preserve the project is that the source code could never be publicly released. But it's preserved, it's in no danger of ever being lost again, multiple backups exist, no longer sitting on rotting harddrives.

Preservation is not putting ROMs on a public server for download. Preservation is taking steps to ensure that data won't be lost due to a single harddrive crash.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
The company is seeking damages in the amount of $150,000 for each copyright infringement, and up to $2 million for each trademark infringement.
picard.png

skullmuffins

Oct 25, 2017
What's even the point of downloading games illegally if you're gonna pay lol.
$30 for unlimited games probably sounds sweet af if you don't know how to find them for free.

How would you feel if the membership was a donate button?
not much better if the money is going into the owner's pocket. I know a lot of torrent sites (etc.) are run by volunteers who take donations for hosting costs but feel it's taboo and legally dangerous (I should say, more legally dangerous) to personally profit from it.

HardRojo

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Peru
These sites charge money to download ROMs? Lol who the fuck would pay a membership if you're going to pirate stuff? That's... wow. Yeah bring them down for playing stupid games lol.
precisely. it's so disappointing seeing people equate what rom sites do with what people like you are doing.
Will you give it a rest? The thread wasn't about that until you decided to continuously reply to the same user again and again. "I see where the thread is going now", well, if you keep turning it in that direction, what would you expect?

Meatwad

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
USA
For example, I belong to one. We preserved Sonic Xtreme. One condition of our ability to preserve the project is that the source code could never be publicly released. But it's preserved, it's in no danger of ever being lost again, multiple backups exist, no longer sitting on rotting harddrives.

Preservation is not putting ROMs on a public server for download. Preservation is taking steps to ensure that data won't be lost due to a single harddrive crash.

Exactly, that's real preservation, not putting a Sonic 1 rom on a website and calling it preservation

SalvaPot

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
lol at the people claiming you shouldn't pay for ROM's. You shouldn't download ROM's regardless, if they are "Free" you are no paying for them with money.

Deleted member 12790

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
yeah, saying rom sites help preservation is actually disrespectful to people who care about and work towards preserving old video games. those people don't feel the need to offer the games for free.

The same kind of people who call rom sites, "presevation," are the same kind of people who sent death threats for not releasing the Sonic Xtreme source code.

mael

Avenger
Nov 3, 2017
Will you give it a rest? The thread wasn't about that until you decided to continuously reply to the same user again and again. "I see where the thread is going now", well, if you keep turning it in that direction, what would you expect?
I'm that other user, neither or us are advocating for piracy or something.
If you can't handle people having a conversation in a discussion forum....
The same kind of people who call rom sites, "presevation," are the same kind of people who sent death threats for not releasing the Sonic Xtreme source code.
I won't lie, I'd really like to see the source code but it's not my choice to make and there's a lot of commercial games I'd like to see the code but it doesn't mean that I get to see it too.
I'm very sorry you had to deal with that.
Also you did a great job of trying to save that code, I wish I did anything for that.

CthulhuSars

Oct 25, 2017
pictures of my house, names of my family members, etc.

No love at all for the ROM scene

That is disgusting.

I really don't see rom sites as pro preservation. I view personal rom libraries that groups perhaps put together as a way of preservation but leaving it out there for anyone to just dip seems more like piracy to me.

jotun?

Oct 28, 2017
But... the point of piracy is not to... pay.
That's not the only point. Often it's also the only or most convenient way to get the thing you want, like if you want to play Switch or 3DS games on your PC, or if you want to be able to cheat or copy save files, etc

Game of Thrones in its early years wasn't so heavily pirated JUST because people wanted it for free, but because they didn't offer any reasnable alternative for people who didn't subscribe to cable TV

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017

But what good is preservation if the public can never see it? Like yeah it's sitting in a basement safe somewhere but its as good as lost to us if its not accessible.

Hence why rom sites are a necessary evil. Yeah it sucks people use it to download Super Mario Bros but at least Little Samson and for a time Earthbound was accessible to the public outside of insane collectors.

Art is meaningless without people to appreciate it. You should always pay artists for their work if you can but sometimes we can't.