• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.

Mega Man Zero

Oct 27, 2017
http://pdfaiw.uspto.gov/.aiw?PageNum=0&docid=20180101350&IDKey=5C067C0876CC&HomeUrl=http://appft.uspto.gov/netacgi/nph-Parser?Sect1=PTO1%26Sect2=HITOFF%26d=PG01%26p=1%26u=%252Fnetahtml%252FPTO%252Fsrchnum.html%26r=1%26f=G%26l=50%26s1=%252220180101350%2522.PGNR.%26OS=DN/20180101350%26RS=DN/20180101350

https://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/nintendo-patent-screens-communication/

These processing apparatuses are located inside stand-alone screens, and by touching two or more of them together, information can be relayed between them in order to produce new game experiences. Examples in the patent application show a finger being dragged from one screen to another without the system losing track of it, as well as a ball that seamless moves across the connection between the two. The screens don't need to be necessarily making physical contact either, as one of the images shows a gap between the two with the ball still able to move from one to the next — perhaps more impressive is the ability to "bank" a ball off of the air so it approaches the second screen from a different angle.

It appears one screen can even be angled upward in order to provide momentum for an object as it approaches the second screen, such as a bowling ball about to hit a set of pins. The connections aren't limited to just two screens, with one image showing three screens connected to create a three-dimensional image.

kTiYLSD.jpg

Last edited:

Dyle

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
Neat. Imagine how insane the third or fourth wave of Labo Garage will be if it can use this kind of tech

yumayuma

Feb 23, 2018
Makes you think that the DS really is the second pillar, somehow.

But why is Donkey Kong shown there!

Musouka

Dec 31, 2017
So just touchscreens without dedicated control buttons? Seems to have specific applications as opposed to a fully-fledged gaming system.

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
3DS Backwards comparability and something with Labo, or something totally new that comes out of left field (a la Labo announcement)?

Gekkouga

Alt Account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I need it, there is so much gaming potential there that was almost forgotten during the 3DS era

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
While this is cool. This is definitely more on the gimmick side. I don't know how you could get out of those.

Maybe it would just be used as a foldable device with two screens like a DS without the gimmicky mini games.

If they make a device like this that only does small games like bowling it will fail.

Oct 26, 2017
I need it, there is so much gaming potential there that was almost forgotten during the 3DS era

Back in the day I was sure Nintendo would do something like this for the successor to the NDS. But I guess (affordable) tech wasn't there yet.

Then when they announced the Wii U I was hoping games would support several gamepads but that never happened.

One day the time will come.

CarthOhNoes

Someone is plagiarizing this post
Oct 25, 2017
I still don't get people who keep saying that Nintendo are gonna release a "3DS 2" or a "4DS" or some other next generation, handheld only system. That totally goes against one of the core reasons why they made the Switch in the first place: Unifying their development teams so they are focused on the same platform. Unless a "3DS 2" is fully backward and forward compatible with Switch games and vice versa, it would totally go against that principle - they would end up splitting development resources between two different platforms again. Once again, avoiding that issue was one of the key factors in the development of the Switch.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
Nintendo Dual Switch.

Brought this idea up before. However, essentially there are two screens that can be seperated. When both screens are attached you have dual analogue setup and both screens to enable DS like play. You can also detach the 2nd screen and hand it to a friend and play local multiplayer with each other. Then with the TV, you put one screen in the dock and use the other screen as a controller. This allows streaming for Wii U like functionality.

Oct 26, 2017
While this is cool. This is definitely more on the gimmick side. I don't know how you could get out of those.

Maybe it would just be used as a foldable device with two screens like a DS without the gimmicky mini games.

If they make a device like this that only does small games like bowling it will fail.

It's no gimmick if the commitment to software is real.

Think about a DS you could break apart in order to play 2 player games with private screens.
It takes download play to a whole new level.

Better yet, think about a gathering of friends that each have their own system: 1 screen would remain private while the others could be laid down together to form a large interactive boardgame like surface.

Oct 26, 2017
I don't think these are Switch screens unless they contain custom hardware that allows them to communicate (relative) positional information with one another...

Mechanized

Oct 27, 2017
I wonder how much the tablet with some kinda hinge connector would cost. The dock is around $100 cad, joy cons are around $80, that leaves what? $220 for the tablet itself?

Terranigma

Oct 27, 2017
Just put 9 switches in a 3x3 config, have each switch render a portion of the game screen estate, voila 4k gaming!

B-Dubs

That's some catch, that catch-22
General Manager
Oct 25, 2017
Could be for some kind of Switch add-on or a party game.

Compsiox

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
It's no gimmick if the commitment to software is real.

Think about a DS you could break apart in order to play 2 player games with private screens.
It takes download play to a whole new level.

Better yet, think about a gathering of friends that each have their own system: 1 screen would remain private while the others could be laid down together to form a large interactive boardgame like surface.
I said if its a device like DS it wouldn't be a gimmick. I meant if it were to be a virtual board game device it would be a gimmick.

Woffls

Nov 25, 2017
London
Could this be achieved with NFC chips on each edge to detect proximity and maybe transfer data?

Looking forward to an iteration of Switch without a bezel either way.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I said it months ago, when they phase out the 3DS, the switch will recieve a major dual screen upgrade. Wii U like gameplay using a new dock that can seamlessly communicate with the switch, and a new portable Switch with two screens and no detachable joycons. Gamble? Sure. But feature parity is the same across the board, and devs won't need extra work for the ecosystem. Same games can be played on both revisions.

Andri

Mar 20, 2018
Switzerland
Its the ultimate way to combine both accessory and revision of the switch.

It will be like a regular handheld revision, but if you still own the original Switch you get some nice synergy between the two.

delete12345

One Winged Slayer
Nov 17, 2017
Boston, MA
Y'all never be able to see this far. I can easily tell this is a really good patent.

Think about this, in the Marvel movie, Iron Man, we see Robert Downy Jr. dragging the blueprints from screen A to screen B, and around the room.

Nintendo here is patenting a concept based around a futuristic media, where we can drag things around across multiple screens.

This is also a trope used extensively in futuristic anime, where a commander orders a subordinate to do stuffs, and the sh ordjnate would input commands on multiple screens, then share them around.

It doesn't have to do with the Switch, and it's more fitting as a Qualify of Life patent.