• iOS/Safari issues when launching the site from mobile home screens should now be fixed! A2HS button compatibility on Android Firefox has also been fixed! Add some purple to your home screen today.

Nintendo-First Party Thread |OT2| New Year. New Mii.

Oct 27, 2017
I really wonder what Nintendo's big game at E3 is going to be

I can't see Pokemon being the main game at the event and by then I believe we will know a lot already about Animal Crossing

Maybe they will just change their strategy and not focus on one game like they've done all these past years
Like Reggie said every E3 is different. They have a different strategy. This year it’ll probably be more shared.

Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia

I can't see Pokemon being the main game at the event and by then I believe we will know a lot already about Animal Crossing

Maybe they will just change their strategy and not focus on one game like they've done all these past years
It'll probably focus on multiple games this year (an idea that Dark Cloud has brought up multiple times).

Probably a mix of Pokemon, 2D Zelda, Retro's game, Luigi's Mansion 3 and maybe something we don't know about yet. Animal Crossing isn't a good E3 game (especially for demoing) so I don't think it'll get much spotlight there.

Jan 1, 2018
So what are you guys playing while waiting for the Nintendo Direct. I recently started playing Captain Toad on Switch and I am really impressed by how fun I am having with this game. I would like Nintendo to develop more of these sorts of games.

Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
So what are you guys playing while waiting for the Nintendo Direct. I recently started playing Captain Toad on Switch and I am really impressed by how fun I am having with this game. I would like Nintendo to develop more of these sorts of games.
I picked up New Super Mario Bros. U Deluxe earlier today. I haven't played the game since 2013, so it's nice to replay one of the best 2D Mario games.

Oct 25, 2017
Still playing Xenoblade 2 NG+ and clocking at 240 hours. I can probably drop another 120 hours into it.

Oct 27, 2017
I would love it if Nintendo went all out for Luigi's Mansion at E3 and converted the area into a giant haunted hotel.

But realistically it will more than likely be AC or Pokemon.

Jan 1, 2018
Since we’re all kicking about waiting for a direct, here’s a little discussion. What is your dream direct? One that’s not really feasible but would be incredible. Although possibly disasterous for sales. Mine would be

New 2D Mario with beautiful hand-painted graphics and no auto scrolll.

A new Wario Ware for Switch with loads of multiplayer and WarioWare DIY built in.

A partnership with Sega to make a new, exclusive Super Monkey Ball. Loads of multiplayer games in it.

Eternal Darkness 2 with a port of 1.

F Zero SX

1080/Wave Race/Skateboarding mash up. Three separate sports but sharing characters/the world.

Wii Fitbit. A team up with Fitbit using their trackers. Switch acts as a Fitbit dashboard. New Balance Board

New IP puzzler based on organising things. Followed by ‘and talking of organising things, folders are now available for the Switch Firmware’

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2019
Since we’re all kicking about waiting for a direct, here’s a little discussion. What is your dream direct? One that’s not really feasible but would be incredible. Although possibly disasterous for sales. Mine would be

New 2D Mario with beautiful hand-painted graphics and no auto scrolll.

A new Wario Ware for Switch with loads of multiplayer and WarioWare DIY built in.

A partnership with Sega to make a new, exclusive Super Monkey Ball. Loads of multiplayer games in it.

Eternal Darkness 2 with a port of 1.

F Zero SX

1080/Wave Race/Skateboarding mash up. Three separate sports but sharing characters/the world.
Metroid prime trilogy HD
Pikmin trilogy HD
New DKC
Bayo 3 release date
Captain Toad sequel
Gen 8 info
Wii U Ports of XCX, 3d world, W101, Tokyo mirage sessions
Tekken 7 and soul calibur 6 switch ports
Pokemon x digimon 2d/2.5d fighter developed by ArcSystem

Oct 26, 2017
Since we’re all kicking about waiting for a direct, here’s a little discussion. What is your dream direct? One that’s not really feasible but would be incredible. Although possibly disasterous for sales.
Treasure brought back from its death bed to deliver a sequel to the best game of all time: Sin & Punishment 3.

Yukio Futatsugi being given free reign to work on a spiritual successor to Panzer Dragoon Saga.

Nintendo bringing back the gang for GoldenEye 007-2.

This is guaranteed to sink them forever.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean it's one of the highest selling nintendo series, so I don't get how. And it's been a part of e3 before, multiple times.
Animal Crossing won't be the "one big thing" like Breath of the Wild was but it's definitely going to be a big focus at E3 and especially on the Treehouse stream.

Oct 25, 2017
I picked up Final Fantasy XII Revenant Wings, and Bravely Second, so I’ve got plenty to be getting on with!

Oct 25, 2017
Animal Crossing won't be the "one big thing" like Breath of the Wild was but it's definitely going to be a big focus at E3 and especially on the Treehouse stream.
It's not going to be an entire focus obviously, but to say it would mostly completely skip e3 is silly and sounds out of touch...like people wondering why isabelle was in smash. Although having a AC theme set would make complete sense. The floor looks like grass, trees, building, characters, etc around the e3 floor.

Oct 26, 2017
It's not going to be an entire focus obviously, but to say it would mostly completely skip e3 is silly and sounds out of touch...like people wondering why isabelle was in smash. Although having a AC theme set would make complete sense. The floor looks like grass, trees, building, characters, etc around the e3 floor.
Yeah, I think people really overestimate how much Nintendo was burned by E3 2008 and City Folk. It's actually a really nice game to demo on the Treehouse and unlike 2008, they have lots of other stuff that they can show alongside it.

I of course didn't mean that it won't be featured at all at E3, only that it probably couldn't totally sustain the spotlight focus at E3 in the same way that BOTW, Odyssey, and Smash have recently. Not because it isn't popular or a huge series, just because of the nature of the game not necessarily lending itself well to showing at a high-profile conference.

Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Since we’re all kicking about waiting for a direct, here’s a little discussion. What is your dream direct? One that’s not really feasible but would be incredible. Although possibly disasterous for sales.
Direct starts off with a Super Mario Maker 2 reveal (new Game Styles, Level Themes, Objects, SLOPES, etc)
3DS Section: Non-Existent
Switch Section:
  • Fire Emblem: Three Houses - Gameplay Footage + April Release
  • DAEMON X MACHINA - Gameplay Footage + Early March Release
  • Luigi's Mansion 3 - Gameplay Footage + June Release
  • Animal Crossing - Trailer + September Release
  • DLC Announcement for Mario Kart 8 Deluxe and Super Mario Party
  • Bayonetta 3 - Trailer
  • Nintendo Switch System Updates - Themes, Messages, NSO App functions now on console, more Media Apps (+ Xenoblade and Smash profile avatars)
  • Nintendo Switch Online - GB, SNES, N64 and GBA games releasing throughout 2019/early 2020
  • Blue Falcon - PlatinumGames developed F-Zero character action game
  • Mother Trilogy - Reveal
  • Paper Mario - Reveal (returns to traditional RPG gameplay)
  • Metroid Prime Trilogy HD - Reveal + February Release
  • Metroid Prime 4 - Trailer + Release Window
  • Super Smash Bros. Ultimate - Banjo & Kazooie Reveal Trailer + Banjo-Kazooie coming to NSO
Then throw in some Third-Party stuff, and VWALA: a Direct that will never happen.
I mean, you said it didn't have to be feasible, because this isn't that at all.

Oct 25, 2017
It's a new trilogy and numbered sequels are for suckers.
Do we know for sure it's a new trilogy? And even then, halo 4 was also starting a new trilogy. Uncharted 4 wasn't at least for now, and still kept the 4. If prime trilogy is real like what every insider is saying, that pretty much locks in that it will be called prime 4.

Oct 27, 2017
It'll probably focus on multiple games this year (an idea that Dark Cloud has brought up multiple times).

Probably a mix of Pokemon, 2D Zelda, Retro's game, Luigi's Mansion 3 and maybe something we don't know about yet. Animal Crossing isn't a good E3 game (especially for demoing) so I don't think it'll get much spotlight there.
Yeah it can be like E3 2014.

Smash got about 10 minutes. Everyone else got a few minutes and Splatoon got about 6 minutes. No game will be like Smash last year getting 20+ minutes or Zelda getting the whole thing. Even in 2017 Mario Odyssey only got a few minutes, but it got the whole NDC set and majority of the Treehouse. In 2014 it was more shared. In 2014 Smash and Splatoon got the bigger sets at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nintendo+e3+2014+treehouse

Smash and Splatoon got a couple or so segments more than the others. Pokemon has never been a huge factor at E3 so I don't bother with that. Animal Crossing can be that Splatoon type of game. 2D Zelda, Luigis Mansion 3, Star Fox GP, Pokemon will all get a few minutes. If Metroid Prime 3 comes BEFORE E3 2020 it will be the "Smash" of E3 2014 getting the slightly bigger sets and bigger % in the Direct.

Oct 27, 2017
It's a new trilogy and numbered sequels are for suckers.
That's not it only. It has to do with bringing in a new group of consumers and Nintendo may want to call it just Metroid Prime: subtitle and leave out the 4, regardless of MPT coming. I can see them being afraid that having a "4" could scare some away, but yes, MPT should alleviate that worry.

Oct 26, 2017
Nov 3, 2017
Yeah it can be like E3 2014.

Smash got about 10 minutes. Everyone else got a few minutes and Splatoon got about 6 minutes. No game will be like Smash last year getting 20+ minutes or Zelda getting the whole thing. Even in 2017 Mario Odyssey only got a few minutes, but it got the whole NDC set and majority of the Treehouse. In 2014 it was more shared. In 2014 Smash and Splatoon got the bigger sets at E3.

https://www.youtube.com/results?search_query=nintendo+e3+2014+treehouse

Smash and Splatoon got a couple or so segments more than the others. Pokemon has never been a huge factor at E3 so I don't bother with that. Animal Crossing can be that Splatoon type of game. 2D Zelda, Luigis Mansion 3, Star Fox GP, Pokemon will all get a few minutes. If Metroid Prime 3 comes BEFORE E3 2020 it will be the "Smash" of E3 2014 getting the slightly bigger sets and bigger % in the Direct.
Ugh E3 2014 was such a wig snatch

Oct 25, 2017
clearing the backlog before NMH next week. finished up TWEWY today, and I'll be putting a significant dent into Octopath over the next week

Jan 1, 2018
I think it's too long from 3 to call it Metroid Prime 4. It will be my first-ish Metroid Prime game (spend a brief time with Echos but not really more than a few hours) and it being called 4 makes me slightly worried that plot will be incomprehensible to newcomers.

Oct 25, 2017
That's not it only. It has to do with bringing in a new group of consumers and Nintendo may want to call it just Metroid Prime: subtitle and leave out the 4, regardless of MPT coming. I can see them being afraid that having a "4" could scare some away, but yes, MPT should alleviate that worry.
Prime trilogy would be the whole point of that. If prime trilogy is real, it's 99.9% still being called prime 4.

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too long from 3 to call it Metroid Prime 4. It will be my first-ish Metroid Prime game (spend a brief time with Echos but not really more than a few hours) and it being called 4 makes me slightly worried that plot will be incomprehensible to newcomers.
Well luckily for you, you'll be able to play Metroid Prime trilogy and catch up on everything (pending that the insiders are right about it).

Even then, the plot is likely going to mostly be new, but still have lore and connections to the first three games.

Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Prime 3 closed up some of the major plot-threads of the Prime games, and based on interviews from years ago (that may or may not be true to the final game) it'll be mostly new and have a different focus: the rivalry between Samus and Sylux; so you won't have to worry about it being super confusing.

Plus the Prime Trilogy port is probably a thing, so you can experience the first three games anyway.

Oct 25, 2017
I’m not saying it won’t be, but I sure as hell won’t be surprised if it’s not called Metroid Prime 4.
Well, I'll say that if trilogy is real, then I will be very surprised. Another thing you have to consider is that there are now 3 prime spinoffs at this point already, that are just called metroid prime: subtitle. It would also be bad bad marketing to then have prime 4 be not numbered and possibly be a confusion there.

Oct 26, 2017
I very much doubt final name will include the number 4 as well. Everybody knows it’s the 4th game and the only purpose it serves is to discourage newcomers.

What I want from Prime 4:

• Back to the Prime 1 roots of 3D Metroidvania gameplay
  • Big focus on graphics, VA, and cinematics
  • Unique online gameplay to give Metroid a real chance of becoming a big franchise

Jan 10, 2018
Sydney, Australia
Well, I'll say that if trilogy is real, then I will be very surprised. Another thing you have to consider is that there are now 3 prime spinoffs at this point already, that are just called metroid prime: subtitle. It would also be bad bad marketing to then have prime 4 be not numbered and possibly be a confusion there.
That's honestly a pretty good point that I didn't think of. They wouldn't want Prime: subtitle to be mixed in with Prime: Hunters, Prime: Pinball or Prime: Federation Force.

Oct 31, 2017
Greece

Revision, E3 2019 will be all about the revision. If its coming this year, I think it will he around September, unless Nintendo has an NDA protected press conference in the upcoming weeks to launch it before summer. But yeah, E3 2019 will be heavily about the revision, Nintendo will he there with their own live conference because of the revision, and focus will he on several games.

Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt final name will include the number 4 as well. Everybody knows it’s the 4th game and the only purpose it serves is to discourage newcomers.

What I want from Prime 4:

• Back to the Prime 1 roots of 3D Metroidvania gameplay
  • Big focus on graphics, VA, and cinematics
  • Unique online gameplay to give Metroid a real chance of becoming a big franchise
I mean for one, if we are saying newcomers would be confused about it, it could also make it confusing if its not numbered, like the other spinoffs.

And I'm really hoping VA and cinematics are not a big focus at all. That would go against it going to the roots of prime 1, and leaning way more to other m.

Oct 26, 2017
I mean for one, if we are saying newcomers would be confused about it, it could also make it confusing if its not numbered, like the other spinoffs.

And I'm really hoping VA and cinematics are not a big focus at all. That would go against it going to the roots of prime 1, and leaning way more to other m.
I’d argue Metroid mainline games are obscure for the mainstream so any spinoff might as well not exist.