• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
This is very "half of the glass is full" way of looking at things. And not everyone is in a position to say this. Like me. Yes January has quality releases but I'm already done with one of them and halfway thru of other one. When I'm done with all (I expect to finish Vesperia this week and Onimusha is very short game) I have to wait until March 29 for Yoshi release.

Meaning of drought depends on the person, especially how much that person uses that platform. Handhelds usually can be played without location restrictions so finishing games is much easier. For me it's hard to build a backlog while I have the all the time in the world to play them (3 hours a day commute and three times a week 9 hour long nightshifts). The problem with Switch, it's not backwards compatible (it's the first non bc handheld since PSP) so I'm dependent on new releases. I feel the drought, it's there. If February doesn't get new releases, it's going to be the first month that I'm not buying any handheld game since 2005.
blazblue is out next month, you can play that and use best girl litchi. lol

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
This is very "half of the glass is full" way of looking at things. And not everyone is in a position to say this. Like me. Yes January has quality releases but I'm already done with one of them and halfway thru of other one. When I'm done with all (I expect to finish Vesperia this week and Onimusha is very short game) I have to wait until March 29 for Yoshi release.

We don't really know that yet. We barely have any insight on the first half of the year at all, so It's better to wait and see what that brings before jumping to conclusions. Not that I'm expecting a big game for Feburary from Nintendo TBH (at most, we'll see a shadow dropped eShop game or two). But this year has already been said to be more exciting than last year.

Mandos

Nov 27, 2017
Frankly they don't even need to announce new games until like E3 to already have a pretty good H1 with just releases dates and trailers.
That's true... and that kind of situation also tends to results in mini directs(updates and some third party reveals) over full directs(new first party and major reveals)... maybe we'll get a January mini shadow drop again

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
Hot take: they should drop directs and make every annoucement like the Diablo 3 one, a fun, informative short video, and start the normal marketing cycle.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I could see Platinum's new game revealed in a Jan direct, Wave Race in an April direct then Retro's Star Fox at E3.

I don't see the PG & Wave Race things releasing this year, unless the PG project started development before Bayonetta 3 as you'd expect that one to have the bigger focus. Star Fox definitely could though. It's a perfect fit for an E3 reveal to November release.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Wave Race should come this year if Takahashi was giving a hint. Those games shouldn't take long to develop.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I don't see the PG & Wave Race things releasing this year, unless the PG project started development before Bayonetta 3 as you'd expect that one to have the bigger focus. Star Fox definitely could though. It's a perfect fit for an E3 reveal to November release.
The thing about that other Platinum project is that Emily's original post about it implies that it would be a 2019 title.
Yeah. Even if those two (Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3) slid into 2020, it wouldn't really change much about 2019.

Because Nintendo still has a lot of reinforcements:

- Retro Studios' unannounced game.
- Platinum's unannounced game.
- What is the 2D Zelda team up to nowadays?
I find that a little strange (since I feel like Bayo 3 should release before another Platinum exclusive is even announced) but whatever.

Guaraná

Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
I'm disappointed because by TGA I was sure that we would get Metroid Trilogy in February. With that, Q1 would be perfect for me, with Mario, Travis, Tales, Metroid and Yoshi.

Without that, at least for now, February is looking a little empty, and also Q1.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
blazblue is out next month, you can play that and use best girl litchi. lol

Is it dated? If it's really coming in February, I might buy it day one. I had 3 BlazBlue games on Vita and played them like tens of hours (despite only one of them had online). And one on 3DS. And two on PSP.

We don't really know that yet. We barely have any insight on the first half of the year at all, so It's better to wait and see what that brings before jumping to conclusions. Not that I'm expecting a big game for Feburary from Nintendo TBH (at most, we'll see a shadow dropped eShop game or two). But this year has already been said to be more exciting than last year.

Third party ports should fill those spots. Either this or previous gen console games.

I want someone in Direct to come up and say "Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate are on their way to Switch! Unity releases in February and Syndicate in March". I'd be crazy happy, despite the fact I have already did 100% on both on PS4. Playing open world games on portables is truly magical.

Deleted member 2791

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The thing about that other Platinum project is that Emily's original post about it implies that it would be a 2019 title.

I find that a little strange (since I feel like Bayo 3 should release before another Platinum exclusive is even announced) but whatever.

It could happen if the thing is lower in scale compared to Bayo 3. It'd be really cool to see.

Is it dated? If it's really coming in February, I might buy it day one. I had 3 BlazBlue games on Vita and played them like tens of hours (despite only one of them had online). And one on 3DS. And two on PSP.

February 7th

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Third party ports should fill those spots. Either this or previous gen console games.

I want someone in Direct to come up and say "Assassin's Creed Unity and Syndicate are on their way to Switch! Unity releases in February and Syndicate in March". I'd be crazy happy, despite the fact I have already did 100% on both on PS4. Playing open world games on portables is truly magical.

This is what I mean, until we get more announcements regarding 2019, we shouldn't just assume there's going to be a drought. Sure February might be a little quiet seemingly, but if there's a ton of other games coming out in most months of the year, then it doesn't matter in the grand scheme of things.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017

Meaning of drought depends on the person, especially how much that person uses that platform. Handhelds usually can be played without location restrictions so finishing games is much easier. For me it's hard to build a backlog while I have the all the time in the world to play them (3 hours a day commute and three times a week 9 hour long nightshifts). The problem with Switch, it's not backwards compatible (it's the first non bc handheld since PSP) so I'm dependent on new releases. I feel the drought, it's there. If February doesn't get new releases, it's going to be the first month that I'm not buying any handheld game since 2005.
This may sound bad but I feel like that's on you. Someone who needs to buy a new game for their console every month and plays so much that they haven't built up a backlog is FAR from the majority

Not saying you can't complain but I feel like it's kinda unfair to blame that on Nintendo

Last edited:

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017

Yeah I was going off Emily's post. The other game could have started development before Bayo 3 even if it gets revealed a lot later.

I think if its a new IP then it's much more important to reveal it alongside gameplay than it is for a Bayo sequel which is a known entity.

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
I'm always impress by those that always has time for new games.

Probably the reason why I don't "see" droughts anymore. Once the first year of the switch went by. It got to the point where's there's always something to play. At least that's how I see it for me.

SpottieO

Oct 25, 2017
I'm always impress by those that always has time for new games.

Probably the reason why I don't "see" droughts anymore. Once the first year of the switch went by. It got to the point where's there's always something to play. At least that's how I see it for me.

Yeah, obviously it'd be nice to see shiny new games but there are still 4 or 5 big games from last year that I really want to play but haven't bought yet.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

There are titles coming in February. The month won't be devoid of any quality releases.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
People acting as if Nintendo not releasing a game in February means there are literally zero games in February.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
This thread exploded, what happened?
My theory is that some folks got really riled up after analysts say Nintendo is expected to sell 20 million Switches in FY2019 after all, and they decided to grace us with their presence.
If I were Nintendo, I wouldn't make a new Yoshi game. Instead of it, I'd use the money to buy some third party ports.
You say that as if that hasn't been done already. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason GTAV hasn't appeared on the Switch yet is because Rockstar was waiting for the price of cards to come down.
You can be sure that if RE2, Sekiro, KHIII and so on were releasing on Switch, people here wouldn't care much for not having much visibility regarding first party titles in 2019.
Disagree -- you'd still get a noisy contingent who would insist that only first-party games matter. "Why should I want a multi-platform title for the Switch when there are more powerful consoles I can play it on instead?"
Well of course. Nintendo is going out of bussines.
DOOOOOOOOOMED!

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
This may sound bad but I feel like that's on you. Someone who needs to buy a new game for their console every month and plays so much that they haven't built up a backlog is FAR from the majority

Not saying you can't complain but I feel like it's kinda unfair to blame that on Nintendo

I wondered if I'm the only one like that. But those 3DS yearly playtime treads showed that in not, at least not here. Many people find it much easier to have hundreds of hours of game time on handhelds.

Plus it's not the Nintendo I'm blaming for this. They're doing the best they could. Props to them. It's the third parties get the blame. February, a month with zero first party release, perfect spot for any third party to release games to bank on this crazy Switch hype. But no one is there. They don't even have to make brand new games, ports just do fine. Look how people got happy about a simple Dragons Dogma port. Where's Ubisoft with Assassin's Creeds? Where's 2K with Bioshocks? Where's WB games with Mordor games or Arkham games? Are they still playing the "wait and see" game? It's totally their fault "waiting" for a year and not "seeing" what's it all about. Smart guys like Capcom and Square are already here.

You say that as if that hasn't been done already. Hell, I wouldn't be surprised if the only reason GTAV hasn't appeared on the Switch yet is because Rockstar was waiting for the price of cards to come down.

Of course it's been done already and the results have satisfied everyone (Skyrim, Diablo). I want them to go all in. Switch lacks BC and that leaves a huge hole in its library. Lots of third party ports are best way to cover them. Nintendo are doing their own part and porting their past games.

Last edited:

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
i3WjXw6.png

Last edited:

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
How do we feel about Nintendo publishing licensed games again?

If I am not mistaken, the last ones were Eyeshield 21 on Wii in 2007 and Jump Ultimate Stars in 2006. Maybe Lego City Undercover counts?

There's Marvel UA3. I also think Nintendo should develop a Marvel game in-house as well, preferably Iron Man because he's the Marvel Character who I want to see in a good game the most.

Deleted member 43657

Banned
May 19, 2018
Ok, so it wasn't on the 10th. No biggie. It's most likely not gonna be on the 17th. Ok, that's kinda surprising.

But it has to be on the 24th, I mean, come on, right, guys? I mean, it has to, right? Come on, right? Yeah, guys, come on.

Plinko

Oct 28, 2017
I feel like there could be some sort of resurgence of a classic Square franchise on the Switch. Octopath Traveler did great and Square said they felt there was a market for those types of games on the Switch. Bringing back a classic franchise would be a fantastic idea that could pay dividends.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I feel like there could be some sort of resurgence of a classic Square franchise on the Switch. Octopath Traveler did great and Square said they felt there was a market for those types of games on the Switch. Bringing back a classic franchise would be a fantastic idea that could pay dividends.

Not just that, but the Switch would be a great home for a lot of more unique styles of RPGs as well. I'd like to see Square Enix use the Switch as an outlet for its more experimental titles much like they did with the DS back in the day.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
There's Marvel UA3. I also think Nintendo should develop a Marvel game in-house as well, preferably Iron Man because he's the Marvel Character who I want to see in a good game the most.

Yes, MAU3 was the game that made me think of the topic.

I wonder if Nintendo would put one of their internal teams on an external license. I can't really think of an example of that happening but I am sure it would yield some interesting results.

In a just world, we'd get the Mana collection released in the West and a new Mana game by Grezzo.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I wonder if Nintendo would put one of their internal teams on an external license. I can't really think of an example of that happening but I am sure it would yield some interesting results.

Wouldn't be the first time they did so. Miyamoto made a Popeye game for the Arcades, and R&D1 developed a few Hamtaro titles for the Game Boy Color.

Status
Not open for further replies.