• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I think Metroid Prime 4 should obviously be one of the big titles Nintendo is promoting through Directs once Nintendo feels ready to reveal the title, but I think a campaign beyond online ads (TV spots, billboards, etc.) would see diminishing returns. If Nintendo spends too much on marketing that Metroid Prime 4 doesn't break even, that would be bad news for the franchise. All it takes is for one glorious flop to put a franchise on ice. Just ask EA and its graveyard of IPs like Mass Effect and Dead Space.

Nintendo isn't that quite like that. F-Zero needed to have a string of underperforming games before they put it to sleep.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Why not? There's still an audience for games like 1-2 Switch and Labo on the Switch. Plus, Nintendo can afford to take risks on niche projects like these, especially now that the Switch is seeing their best software sales in years.
Opportunity costs. Time spent on gimmicks could be spent on conventional games that more people are interested in. Nintendo loves their gimmicks, though, so I expect them to keep pushing Labo and whatever weird idea comes into their head.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Or you could just re-release the games as-is with an updated control scheme for portable mode and maybe some texture touch-ups.

The amount of bitching of people paying for re-release of SD games isn't worth it even if it's an E-Shop only game, especially from Metroid fans who acted like a bunch of brats over Federation Force.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think Metroid Prime 4 should obviously be one of the big titles Nintendo is promoting through Directs once Nintendo feels ready to reveal the title, but I think a campaign beyond online ads (TV spots, billboards, etc.) would see diminishing returns. If Nintendo spends too much on marketing that Metroid Prime 4 doesn't break even, that would be bad news for the franchise. All it takes is for one glorious flop to put a franchise on ice. Just ask EA and its graveyard of IPs like Mass Effect and Dead Space.
Yea, but right now every ninteno series is basically having record breaking numbers. This is the time for them to realyl push metroid. If it still just doesn't work, then ice it. I would rather see them go all out then just play it safe, when it could still flop anyway.
The Prime games would need more work than Bayonatte 1 and 2 to port since none of them are HD.
Okay, but if prime trilogy is really happening like people are saying, then why would they make it digital only? Like A prime trilogy remaster collection is way too big to not get physical. Every wii u port has even got physical.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
We already know Labo is continuing. The point is there's a difference between Wii Sports, where the core and casual audience loves it, and 1-2 Switch...

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Why not? There's still an audience for games like 1-2 Switch and Labo on the Switch. Plus, Nintendo can afford to take risks on niche projects like these, especially now that the Switch is seeing their best software sales in years.

I'm just being selfish I guess. But none of those appeal to me and I've been wanting for a new big game since Xenoblade 2/Odyssey, so it's super frustrating. I would rather have more bigger games on the go at once.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Yea, but right now every ninteno series is basically having record breaking numbers. This is the time for them to realyl push metroid. If it still just doesn't work, then ice it. I would rather see them go all out then just play it safe, when it could still flop anyway.

Okay, but if prime trilogy is really happening like people are saying, then why would they make it digital only? Like A prime trilogy remaster collection is way too big to not get physical. Every wii u port has even got physical.
About the only thing we agree on is Metroid. I don't want them to play it safe. It's the Switch era. Nintendo has huge momentum with the core audience. Go all out with Metroid Prime 4. I have a feeling it will have a substantial online too.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
That takes a lot more work and money than I think you think it does. They aren't remastering Prime trilogy to just shadow drop it digital only. That's honestly beyond silly.
I never said they would shadowdrop Metroid Prime Trilogy. Shadowdropping something bigger than a mobile game or whatever is stupid. A more simple remaster of the Metroid Prime Trilogy does take work and money, but not as much as, say, a full HD remaster or remake. I think Nintendo would want to keep the budget small for a MPT re-release.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I'm just being selfish I guess. But none of those appeal to me and I've been wanting for a new big game since Xenoblade 2/Odyssey, so it's super frustrating. I would rather have more bigger games on the go at once.

True, it'd be nice to see a new AAA single player title from Nintendo again. But those are generally more expensive to make, and usually aren't the majority of Nintendo's output. Nintendo should cover as wide of a base as possible, especially since the Switch has such universal appeal.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I never said they are. A more simple remaster of the Metroid Prime Trilogy does take work and money, but not as much as, say, a full HD remaster or remake. I think Nintendo would want to keep the budget small for a MPT re-release.
They aren't fully remaking this from the ground up, obviously. It's likely going to be a twilight princess HD tier remaster.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
How did Samus Returns do? If that performed below expectations and Metroid Prime 4 underperforms as well, that would make two flops in a row for Metroid.
Samus Returns probably did the best that a new 3DS title in 2017 (that isn't Pokemon) could. It reached around half-a-million worldwide (physically; that doesn't include digital sales).

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
True, it'd be nice to see a new AAA single player title from Nintendo again. But those are generally more expensive to make, and usually aren't the majority of Nintendo's output. Nintendo should cover as wide of a base as possible, especially since the Switch has such universal appeal.

This is true however I can really only speak for my own desires :)

I don't recall LABO selling particularly well (not bad, just not hot off the shelves), and as others have stated I don't think the extra ways to play in the other games are their key selling points - seems like a lot of wasted time and money (Labo aside).

Samus Returns probably did the best that a new 3DS title in 2017 could. It reached around half-a-million worldwide (physically; that doesn't include digital sales).

I wish they would shadow drop a digital only port of Samus Returns =[

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Samus Returns probably did the best that a new 3DS title in 2017 could. It reached around half-a-million worldwide (physically; that doesn't include digital sales).
Ah, that isn't too bad. Metroid Prime 4 alone wouldn't be able to end the franchise unless it is somehow a colossal failure, something like Solo or Mortal Engines (very unlikely, given the hype and anticipation the game enjoys among a subset of gamers).

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Nope.

I guess he could be lying (but I REALLY doubt that); MercuryStream lied about not working on Metroid before the Samus Returns reveal.

In the very same interview with USGamer, Takahashi lied about not having solid plans for the future of the Xenoblade series. One month after the interview happened, Monolith Soft announced they were hiring for what's surely a new Xenoblade game. :P

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
How did Samus Returns do? If that performed below expectations and Metroid Prime 4 underperforms as well, that would make two flops in a row for Metroid.

From what I've read, Samus Returns met exceptions. Metroid has never been a big series with the first Prime game being the best selling, and 2 million worldwide. So their expectations for Metroid isn't going to be sky high.

I don't see them going to go 'all out' for a series that best game sold about 2 million. Even if this is the best selling Metroid, it can be that if the game sells 3 million. Very good, but not worth a giant marketing budget that can eat into profits. Not helping is that Metroid is extremely niche in Japan.

So far, we only have rumors that Prime Trilogy is happening. That and the Prime Trilogy are not Wii U games. Two are Gamecube games and one is the Wii U game that you probably can buy in one pack on the E-Shop.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
This is true however I can really only speak for my own desires :)

I don't recall LABO selling particularly well (not bad, just not hot off the shelves), and as others have stated I don't think the extra ways to play in the other games are their key selling points - seems like a lot of wasted time and money (Labo aside).

I would assume a great many ARMS buyers play with the default motion controls. It's not the selling point, but Nintendo isn't getting much of a message that unconventional controls are a major negative.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 should sell around 4-5 million. It'll be easily the best selling Metroid. No it doesn't need Mario or Zelda marketing, but a notch below would be great.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019

Labo was never intended to sell like a traditional Nintendo release, where most of it sales come from the first year. Nintendo's even said that it's doing well enough to keep going and that they're looking for ways to make sure that sales have long legs.

Opportunity costs. Time spent on gimmicks could be spent on conventional games that more people are interested in. Nintendo loves their gimmicks, though, so I expect them to keep pushing Labo and whatever weird idea comes into their head.

Nintendo has always been about "gimmicks", even during their hey day. People keep saying that they should focus on the "hardcore" but fail to understand that not making stuff like Labo or 1-2 Switch doesn't make a new F-Zero or Mother game come out any faster. Even their more conventional games have "gimmicks"

Personally, I really like it when Nintendo lets their developers make whatever weird idea they like, so I hope it continues.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Metroid Prime 4 should sell around 4-5 million. It'll be easily the best selling Metroid. No it doesn't need Mario or Zelda marketing, but a notch below would be great.

I don't really see 4 million for the simple fact that Metroid doesn't sell well in Japan, which means 90% of those sells will have to come from the US and Europe.

This is not a given, the game could end up being trash and selling nothing.

The game can be good and still sell mediocre. I can see it surpassing Prime 1, however, given how well other Nintendo franchises have done. Like people call Star Allies mediocre compared to other Kirby games and it's currently the best selling game of the series.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
From what I've read, Samus Returns met exceptions. Metroid has never been a big series with the first Prime game being the best selling, and 2 million worldwide. So their expectations for Metroid isn't going to be sky high.

I don't see them going to go 'all out' for a series that best game sold about 2 million. Even if this is the best selling Metroid, it can be that if the game sells 3 million. Very good, but not worth a giant marketing budget that can eat into profits. Not helping is that Metroid is extremely niche in Japan.

So far, we only have rumors that Prime Trilogy is happening. That and the Prime Trilogy are not Wii U games. Two are Gamecube games and one is the Wii U game that you probably can buy in one pack on the E-Shop.
For one thing they literally can't just straight put the separate games on the eshop because of controls. And there is no precedence for that happening at all. Where did this come up all of the sudden, prime trilogy just being the seperate games shadow dropped on the eshop. Yea Metroid isn't too big, but you are guys are seriously underplaying it to an extreme that they are going to treat it like some rando indie game.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Man, I really hope Nintendo eventually start bringing over those GameCube/Wii titles currently exclusive to the Nvidia Shield, and continue making more of them. With some ISO alternations (to add traditional controls to Wii games) and Deep Learning (added to the Twilight Princess port recently), they could make them into semi-remasters without a whole lot of effort on their part (as they're still emulated at their core).

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
There's also no reason to assume it will be trash, unless you are just negative.

Nobody is assuming anything, just saying its not a sure thing for any game to sell 5 million copies just because its (apparently) a popular franchise.

The game is still in development, by a developer that hasn't worked with the series, the previous developer has nothing to do with the game that we know of, we haven't seen even a single screenshot or even a concept art. 5 million is definitely counting your chickens before they hatch.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
For one thing they literally can't just straight put the separate games on the eshop because of controls. And there is no precedence for that happening at all. Where did this come up all of the sudden, prime trilogy just being the seperate games shadow dropped on the eshop. Yea Metroid isn't too big, but you are guys are seriously underplaying it to an extreme that they are going to treat it like some rando indie game.

What do you mean controls? All the Prime games have already been outfitted with an unified control scheme and the collection could have been bought all at once on the Wii Shop. That shouldn't change for a HD collection.

I also never said anything about a shadow drop.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Bayonetta 3 was likely a case of having their hand forced. They announce that Bayo 1/2 are coming to Switch & people ask "why not make Bayo 3?" Announce Bayo 1/2 with intentions to have Bayo 3 come to the platform and you answer that question and silence concerns.
Makes sense. Very unfortunate wait times though. I would be legit confused if games like TLOU2 and the new Halo come out before Bayo 3 or Metroid Prime 4 or even retros game. Its like other consoles keep having these big event tier 1st party releases and we get Mario Party. Now I love and bought Mario Party but that aint one of them heavy hitters.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
There's also no reason to assume it will be trash, unless you are just negative.

Never said it would be. I just said you can't just assume it will be as good as the other Prime games since it isn't even the same team. It can be good and be very different from the other Prime games. The fact is, we don't know a thing about it since all we've gotten is a name tag.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
What do you mean controls? All the Prime games have already been outfitted with an unified control scheme and the collection could have been bought all at once on the Wii Shop. That shouldn't change for a HD collection.

Those controls can't be straight ported to the switch. It will need new controls.

Oct 25, 2017

No.

These games will HAVE to be playable with the Switch controls in portable mode this time.

Therefore, 3 will have to be adjusted accordingly.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Even then, the motion controls aren't the same.. Joycons aren't the same as the wii mote/nunchuck, no IR.

IR pointing can be simulated with gyro, which despite the occasional drifting, still gives you the same level of percision. Perhaps more so since you can adjust the sensitivity.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Those controls can't be straight ported to the switch. It will need new controls.

No.

These games will HAVE to be playable with the Switch controls in portable mode this time.

Therefore, 3 will have to be adjusted accordingly.

Even so, that still doesn't mean that they can't put it all on one package since they did it before with the original Prime Trilogy. And they will have to revamp anyway since they have to make those games HD and raise the resolution to at least 720p.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Even so, that still doesn't mean that they can't put it all on one package since they did it before with the original Prime Trilogy. And they will have to revamp anyway since they have to make those games HD and raise the resolution to at least 720p.
Yea..you're making our point. Why would they do all of that just to put it eshop only? That makes zero sense at all. I would avatar bet for a year that it won't be digital only.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
Nobody is assuming anything, just saying its not a sure thing for any game to sell 5 million copies just because its (apparently) a popular franchise.
And Metroid is not even that popular, sadly. One of my favorite franchises out there. Now I'm not saying it won't sale like crazy, but Metroid is not your typical Pokemon or Zelda in terms of popularity.

Nintendo should let Hollywood make a movie about this one to start the "um yeah, I always been a fan of Metroid since it's first game" among people /s

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Yea..you're making our point. Why would they do all of that just to put it eshop only? That makes zero sense at all. I would avatar bet for a year that it won't be digital only.

Well Metroid franchise is so popular that games can sell over 5 million easy without even showing a single screenshot or video. So obviously people won't care if the game is digital only, they will still buy it. And if you disagree you're just being negative.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I have some doubts about that. I can't think of a game that was built around motion controls being re-released without an option to turn them off from Nintendo.
The Nvidia Shield Wii ports removed the motion controls from Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. Wii; they could easily do the same for Prime 3 in the Switch trilogy re-release.

Also Prime 3's motion controls wouldn't really work in Handheld Mode. That helps.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

Well, as others have pointed out:

IR pointing can be simulated with gyro, which despite the occasional drifting, still gives you the same level of percision. Perhaps more so since you can adjust the sensitivity.

So the changes won't be major. The biggest change is again, changing the game to HD from SD if they chose to do a big re-released.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well Metroid franchise is so popular that games can sell over 5 million easy without even showing a single screenshot or video. So obviously people won't care if the game is digital only, they will still buy it. And if you disagree you're just being negative.
I honestly can't tell what people are being serious and sarcastic at this point.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Well, as others have pointed out:

So the changes won't be major. The biggest change is again, changing the game to HD from SD if they chose to do a big re-released.
Okay. The game still won't be digital only. If it is, I will have the other m boxart with a heart over it as my avatar for a year.

Status
Not open for further replies.