• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The Nvidia Shield Wii Ports removed the motion controls from Super Mario Galaxy and New Super Mario Bros. Wii; they could easily do the same for Prime 3 in the Switch trilogy re-release.

Also Prime 3's motion controls won't work in Handheld Mode.

Except the motion controls in those games were secondary and can be removed without changing the game. Not a major thing like Prime 3 where you pull off shields, twist controller panels, ect. Hence when I said 'built around'.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I love how I can't assume MP4 will be great quality lol. I have to succumb to 'Metroid sales suck and so will MP4's" negativity.

I can't point out how amazing the sales have been for Nintendo series on Switch

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
XCOM meets James Bond?
If you take out the field missions, it's essentially Roller Coaster Tycoon or Game Dev Tycoon with a more "serious" theme. Too bad I'm not an indie game developer or I'd be tempted to take the idea and run with it...
Ooor an Arc Systems fighting game features lots of characters from series.
I dunno, I don't really imagine Bond to be a fisticuffs-oriented franchise. Maybe the Tom Cruise Mission: Impossible movies (even though I hate them for ruining the series), or John Wick, or Jason Bourne.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I love how I can't assume MP4 will be great quality lol. I have to succumb to 'Metroid sales suck and so will MP4's" negativity.

Doesn't matter what any series does. Even chibi robo would be a huge hit, but not metroid. Metroid will ever be Nintendo's ugly duckling and just sit a corner.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017

You're ignoring that a major issue behind Metroid sells is Japan, which is still the third biggest market for console games. Unless Prime 4 pulls a Breath of the Wild, that isn't going to change.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Except the motion controls in those games were secondary and can be removed without changing the game. Not a major thing like Prime 3 where you pull off shields, twist controller panels, ect. Hence when I said 'built around'.
The pointer and motion controls in Galaxy were used all the time and were central to multiple levels within the game. Prime 3's motion controls can just as easily be remapped to a regular controller, and they have to in order for the game to work in handheld mode. It really doesn't matter if you think they are central to the game, because they will be changed out of necessity; that's for certain.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You're ignoring that a major issue behind Metroid sells is Japan, which is still the third biggest market for console games. Unless Prime 4 pulls a Breath of the Wild, that isn't going to change.
Prime 1 managed to nearly break 3 million without Japan's help, and that was on the gamecube early on when barely anyone had one. I think prime 4 with good marketing, prime trilogy, and good timing can beat that.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Prime 1 managed to nearly break 3 million without Japan's help, and that was on the gamecube early on when barely anyone had one. I think prime 4 with good marketing, prime trilogy, and good timing can beat that.

Prime was also a giant revolutionary game too to the point that Prime 3 couldn't sell more despite launching on the Wii during its second year.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The pointer and motion controls in Galaxy were used all the time and were central to multiple levels within the game. Prime 3's motion controls can just as easily be remapped to a regular controller, and they have to in order for the game to work in handheld mode. It really doesn't matter if you think they are central to the game, because they will be changed out of necessity; that's for certain.

Some games can be made not to work in handheld mode. Like if Skyward Sword get a port on the Switch, I doubt they can make it work without motion controls unless they revamp the entire system.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Some games can be made not to work in handheld mode. Like if Skyward Sword get a port on the Switch, I doubt they can make it work without motion controls unless they revamp the entire system.
I don't think Prime 3 will be one of those games though. Nintendo will try to make as many games as possible compatible with Handheld Mode. All of the Nintendo=published games that don't work in handheld mode (1-2 Switch, Super Mario Party and Fitness Boxing) couldn't work that way; but if it's possible to do that with Prime 3 (it is) they will make it so. Plus having 1/3 of a Trilogy not available in Handheld Mode would be super inconsistent and weird.

This isn't even an aspect of the potential Prime Trilogy that is arguing over. It will have regular controls for Prime 3, i'm 100% sure of that.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
Doesn't matter what any series does. Even chibi robo would be a huge hit, but not metroid. Metroid will ever be Nintendo's ugly duckling and just sit a corner.

No one's saying it can't sell squillions, but to claim it will before seeing anything other than a logo is calling it way too early.

Imagine thinking your game is going to sell bucket loads just on its name and reputation and then releasing fallout 76.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Prime 3 also had almost no marketing at all for whatever reason. That was also 12 years ago now, and the switch is a universe away from the wii.

Switch isn't a universe away from the Wii if you mean sells. They're just about on par. That and I'm not sure where you got 'Prime 1 managed to nearly break 3 million without Japan's help', since the only sell data I can find for Prime 1 has it around 1.8 million. Prime 3 also did have marketing since they used the game to show off IR motion controls for shooters.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Power Rangers Battle for the grid, being revealed Jan 22nd (if i remember correctly? around this date). Will be 20$. Will be on Switch, Steam, Ps4, and Xbone. It's very similar to the Power Rangers Legacy Wars mobile game that already exists. There will be a pre-order bonus of the V2 Green Ranger outfit. Enjoy. :)

DM me for images. I also have a video of the press conference teaser for the game. This is a press conference leak btw. I'm not sure if this reveal will be in a direct or not, I just know it'll become public knowledge by that date.

edit:Nvm looks like it was deleted.

Last edited:

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Prime was also a giant revolutionary game too to the point that Prime 3 couldn't sell more despite launching on the Wii during its second year.
The compositions of the Wii and Switch install bases are really different though. For example Skyward Sword sold 3+ million on a 100 million install base, BOTW has sold 10 million on a 22 million install base. Switch owners are more likely as a cohort to buy a game like MP4 than Wii owners were to buy MP3.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Switch isn't a universe away from the Wii if you mean sells. They're just about on par. That and I'm not sure where you got 'Prime 1 managed to nearly break 3 million without Japan's help', since the only sell data I can find for Prime 1 has it around 1.8 million. Prime 3 also did have marketing since they used the game to show off IR motion controls for shooters.
Your data is wrong then, and prime 3 is notorious for the lack of marketing it had. Also, it's a universe away in the fact of who the user base is.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Power Rangers Battle for the grid, being revealed Jan 22nd (if i remember correctly? around this date). Will be 20$. Will be on Switch, Steam, Ps4, and Xbone. It's very similar to the Power Rangers Legacy Wars mobile game that already exists. There will be a pre-order bonus of the V2 Green Ranger outfit. Enjoy. :)

DM me for images. I also have a video of the press conference teaser for the game. This is a press conference leak btw. I'm not sure if this reveal will be in a direct or not, I just know it'll become public knowledge by that date.
Hmm

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
There's also no reason to assume it will be trash, unless you are just negative.

To be honest I'm expecting to enjoy it more than 3. If they hold to their current game summary of returning to the Prime roots of isolation and exploration I'll be happy. I enjoyed 3 but it definitely had a different feel.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
When is Nintendo going to work with From Software for an exclusive Switch game? Give them some IP or make a new IP.

LordByron28

Nov 5, 2017
From what I've read, Samus Returns met exceptions. Metroid has never been a big series with the first Prime game being the best selling, and 2 million worldwide. So their expectations for Metroid isn't going to be sky high.

I don't see them going to go 'all out' for a series that best game sold about 2 million. Even if this is the best selling Metroid, it can be that if the game sells 3 million. Very good, but not worth a giant marketing budget that can eat into profits. Not helping is that Metroid is extremely niche in Japan.
This generally summarizes my thoughts. Personally, I think Nintendo will probably be aiming for 3 million in sales for Metroid Prime 4. I'm more than certain they are aware of the pedigree and reputation of the Prime series, in addition to being mindful about expectations of HD titles. Xenoblade and Fire Emblem received decent marketing campaigns. I also feel Nintendo is building an audience that would be more receptive to Metroid than other Nintendo systems in the past. Titles such as BotW, Smash Bros, Splatoon, Wolfenstein, Doom, Bayonetta, Resident Evil titles, Metroidvania indies, metroid on NES online, and possibly MPT HD are titles that should help build an audience that would be more predisposed to buying MP4. While not that significant Metroid did get 2 new reps in Smash as well. In addition to the Nintendo fanbase being consolidated on one platform and releasing on a more succesful system than Gamecube at the very least.

In general, I think that Fire Emblem, Metroid Prime 4, Luigi's Mansion and Animal Crossing have the potential to reach new series highs. I think titles like Xenoblade, BotW, Octopath Traveller, Fire Emblem Warriors, Pokemon Let's Go, Tales of Vesperia, Skyrim, Diablo 3, Fire Emblem's presence in Smash and the Final Fantasy ports will help build a large audience that would buy Fire Emblem. I dont think a Nintendo platform has offered as much variety in terms of different rpg styles and audiences in the past. Not too mention Fire Emblem Heroes. Titles such as Stardew Valley, Harvest Moon, Splatoon, 1, 2 Switch, Pokemon, Mario Party, Smash Bros and Mario Kart have built a good audience for Animal Crossing. In addition to the last new Animal Crossing releasing in 2013. Since then Animal Crossing has been present in two smash games and two Mario Kart games. As well as Isabelle having her own spinoff that was pretty popular, an Animal Crossing party game that bombed and a mobile title. Finally, titles like Super Mario Odyssey, Mario Party, NSMBU DX, BotW, Mario Kart, Smash Bros., Resident Evil titles and Captain Toad are helping build a diverse audience that would be receptive to Luigi's Mansion 3.

In terms of potential expectations, I could see Fire Emblem and Metroid Prime become 3-5 million sellers. Both series current series highs are at over 2 million. Animal Crossing Switch could be a 15-20+ million seller, imo. The series on handhelds were selling between 10-12 million, console entries and spinoffs all sold a few million. The series has been on a huge upward swing and I think it could explode in the same way Smash has done. Luigi's Mansion could be a 8-10 million seller, imo. Dark Moon on 3DS sold over 5 million copies. I think Nintendo will make the proper investments into the title, given how much Dark Moon sold. Obviously all these expectations rely on a lot of unknown variables.

Last edited:

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Era once again displays a misunderstanding of how game development actually works. Simply buying every studio in existence doesn't magically result in more games. There are better ways to get games out than over-expansion. Also, Nintendo was just coming off of two of their most ambitious titles in years, and still had staff working on 3DS projects. It was quite obvious that they wouldn't have a lot of new games for 2018. It takes time for new console projects to get started when coming off of a previous generation. Nintendo already puts out 25+ games each year across multiple platforms, with 4-6 of them coming from in-house teams. That's more than most publishers put out in an entire generation.

Simply put, no, Nintendo doesn't need to expand or buy more studios becuase they already have enough to begin with. Just because they aren't bombarding you with AAA games every single minnute doesn't mean they have content problems or are understaffed, especially when the vast majority of their games don't even have large team sizes to begin with.
This argument doesn't hold much sway.

They're clearly having problems with HD development. Even titles like Aces, which would have been nice filler in the GameCube era are arriving really undercooked.

They simply don't have enough development bandwidth to produce a consistent stream of titles. Like someone above said, if it wasn't for the Wii U repeats, we would have had a really barren 2018.

This isn't a Sony situation. Nintendo games drive Nintendo platforms. Nintendo games sell on Nintendo platforms.

I agree buying studios and dxpeanding isn't the easy answer it's made out to be. But I think a European studio would be a good thing for Nintendo to have. I also think they need to be bolder in contracting out work. They have a really small circle of trust and that needs to grow.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Xenoblade 2 had a lot of outsourcing because more than half of Monolithsoft was consumed by Assisting BotW's development. Had that not been the case, the game wouldn't have needed as much outsourcing. .
You're trying to argue against me but this point massively backs up what I was saying. I don't think people realised how much manpower within Nintendo was taken up by BoTW. People were taken from other teams and studios. It meant the thing they were working on got pushed back or had to outsource more or got delayed.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
You're trying to argue against me but this point massively backs up what I was saying. I don't think people realised how much manpower within Nintendo was taken up by BoTW. People were taken from other teams and studios. It meant the thing they were working on got pushed back or had to outsource more or got delayed.

BotW was Nintendo's most ambitious project yet, so it needed as much staff as possible. But it's actually quite rare for a Nintendo game to have a budget and team size as big as that game's. Which is why I said it was the exception, rather than the rule.

Oct 27, 2017
Sussex, England, UK
I have two minds on Nintendo expanding.

On one hand, it would help bring out a wider range of titles, covering a greater number of genres.

But on the other it may dilute the magical qualities of said games, if teams not 100% embedded in the culture of Nintendo are hired and set to work too quickly.

The "Nintendo"-ness (for a better word) of Nintendo output is something I really do not want lost. At the moment there is a natural renewal, with small teams overseen by Nintendo veterans. Who knows what the best way forward is?

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017

On one hand, it would help bring out a wider range of titles, covering a greater number of genres.

But on the other it may dilute the magical qualities of said games, if teams not 100% embedded in the culture of Nintendo are hired and set to work too quickly.

The "Nintendo"-ness (for a better word) of Nintendo output is something I really do not want lost. At the moment there is a natural renewal, with small teams overseen by Nintendo veterans. Who knows what the best way forward is?

I think they will keep expanding on partnerships and collaborations. It enables them to explore existing IPs and test new ideas without using significant internal resources on the development side. More Mario X Rabbids, Hyrule Warriors, Pokken.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo themselves actually agree with your latter point, one of their concerns - at least it has been in the past - is that rapid expansion could mean too many employees don't get what the company is about. I believe that's why they prefer these third party partnerships to increase their output.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
BotW was Nintendo's most ambitious project yet, so it needed as much staff as possible. But it's actually quite rare for a Nintendo game to have a budget and team size as big as that game's. Which is why I said it was the exception, rather than the rule.

And that investment paid dividends. Capcom has taken a similar, all out approach with some franchises recently - Monster Hunter, Resident Evil 2, DMC. Sony also did well to go put a lot into God of War, among others. I'm sure there's more than just those

Nintendo could stand to be more ambitious with some of their IPs. Metroid is chock full of great lore and atmosphere, and stands to sell far more than Prime 1 on a platform as lucrative as Switch.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Nintendo themselves actually agree with your latter point, one of their concerns - at least it has been in the past - is that rapid expansion could mean too many employees don't get what the company is about. I believe that's why they prefer these third party partnerships to increase their output.

This is why I always get annoyed when Era starts spouting about how Nintendo needs to expand whenever they don't put out the games they want. They ignore exactly why this is a bad thing, and buying too many studios will eventually result in more than half of them shutting down. Just ask Sony and EA for how that went.

Really, Nintendo is just fine where they are right now. They're putting out more games on a single platform than they ever did before. Plus, 2018 had much of their staff just coming off of their most ambitious projects in years, as well as teams finishing up 3DS games. Cut them some slack for once will ya.

Apa504

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
You guys know that EVERY gaming company outsource work right ? Sony, Microsoft, Ea, Ubisoft etc. This is not a Nintendo only case, so the argument that Nintendo needs to expand because they outsource games is a bad one, even with 10,000 employees and 50 studios Nintendo would need outsourcing.

Not to mention that this is also not an HD era problem with Nintendo, they have had outsourcing since at least the Nintendo 64 era.

And for those that say "Look at Sony, Microsoft, they are hiring and building new studios", well yeah, after many studio closures.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
Some news:
A new Switch firmware update is coming in a few days, adding Chinese and Korean UI.
http://www.nintendo.com.hk/topics/article/a_190117_01.html
http://nintendo.co.kr/news/view.php?idx=218

Regional settings and Nintendo Switch Online service that weren't available beforehand there will be available soon as well.
Can't believe it took them this long to add a korean UI. The Switch has been selling for over a year there (very well I might add), and it was already weird to launch without it. Nintendo sure is slow sometimes.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
And that investment paid dividends. Capcom has taken a similar, all out approach with some franchises recently - Monster Hunter, Resident Evil 2, DMC. Sony did well to go put a lot into God of War, among others. I'm sure there's more than just those

Nintendo could stand to be more ambitious with some of their IPs. Metroid is chock full of great lore and atmosphere, and stands to sell far more than Prime 1 on a platform as lucrative as Switch.

I agree, it's nice to see Nintendo get ambitious with their games again. However keep in mind, there's a limit to how big they can actually get, and Nintendo can't put all their bets on a $80 million monstrosity that has a big chance of failing. Nintendo for better or worse, has always been a company who only spends as much as needed to get the job done. This has the benefit of allowing their games to turn a profit with less sales, even BotW only needed around 2 million to break even.

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
This is why I always get annoyed when Era starts spouting about how Nintendo needs to expand whenever they don't put out the games they want. They ignore exactly why this is a bad thing, and buying too many studios will eventually result in more than half of them shutting down. Just ask Sony and EA for how that went.

Really, Nintendo is just fine where they are right now. They're putting out more games on a single platform than they ever did before. Plus, 2018 had much of their staff just coming off of their most ambitious projects in years, as well as teams finishing up 3DS games. Cut them some slack for once will ya.

I also recall Iwata a while ago saying something along the lines of "you can buy the shell (the corporate entity) but not necessarily the contents (the people)" as another reason why they're cagey about acquisitions, considering that the latter is the thing with actual value

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
I was just thinking that as eager as I am to see Metroid Prime 4, I'm more than happy for the developers to take as much time as they need with it. The more time and money poured into the game the better. MPT can tide us over for at least a year.

Deleted member 11926

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'd also like for Nintendo to get in touch with Vanillaware. I'd really like 13 Sentinels and other Vanillaware games on Switch as well. Not sure why Vanillaware would limit themselves to only one platform.

JCW

Oct 26, 2017
Sekiro should've been the exclusive The mysteryous Murasame Castle.
I've been tossing around an idea of either a Kamiya-directed CAG Murasame (from Platinum, obviously) or a FromSoft Souls-esque Murasame as the original game's layout is quite similar to the second half of Dark Souls 1.

Mbolibombo

Oct 29, 2017
Can't believe it took them this long to add a korean UI. The Switch has been selling for over a year there (very well I might add), and it was already weird to launch without it. Nintendo sure is slow sometimes.

Yeah it's surprising I must say. And did we ever get any numbers out of Korea after the launch period?

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017
I've been tossing around an idea of either a Kamiya-directed CAG Murasame (from Platinum, obviously) or a FromSoft Souls-esque Murasame as the original game's layout is quite similar to the second half of Dark Souls 1.

I would prefer if they gave it to the 2D Zelda team and created a top-down game focused on combat. Closer to Hyperlight Drifter meets Super House of Dead Ninjas.

Status
Not open for further replies.