• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
This is a dumbass argument.

Dude has worked on Jazz Jackrabbit and Bejeweled 3.
Just because some composers try things, that doesn't make them untouchable.
Sugiyama has made great themes, but the orchestral versions are complete rubbish, it's not made for an orchestra. It's not because a composer does well with a music genre that everything he does with a different genre will be great. Praise what is praise worthy, criticize what isn't.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
Just because some composers try things, that doesn't make them untouchable.
Sugiyama has made great themes, but the orchestral versions are complete rubbish, it's not made for an orchestra. It's not because a composer does well with a music genre that everything he does with a different genre will be great. Praise what is praise worthy, criticize what isn't.

You're just making up stuff now to justify your dumbass point. Stop it.

You're literally saying that composers are unable to get off their comfort zone, without even knowing what their comfort zone is.

This is like saying that David Wise can't compose racing music because he specializes in more melodic tunes. Well, there's your Diddy Kong Racing for ya. A music style that's nothing like the Country games.

Christo750

May 10, 2018
Not first party, but because I saw people here concerned that retailers weren't showing April 23 for the Switch version of Mortal Kombat 11, the gameplay trailer and their official Twitter still say Switch for the same date.

However in the presentation, Switch was not shown to have a collectors edition, so idk make of that what you will.

Hope this clears the air for some!

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
You're just making up stuff now to justify your dumbass point. Stop it.

I'm more than okay with artists coming out of their comfort zone, but it doesn't always turns out okay. Imagine a company that's been working for 6 years on a project asking for a key component for their latest product. You've got to prove that you're exactly the one they need. I don't see what could convice them to hire this guy to compose a racing game music.

That's all I'm saying. But you're free to bring Bejewel 3 or any game's music you probably never listened before this thread.

But hey. Passive aggressiveness is considered normal here.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Not first party, but because I saw people here concerned that retailers weren't showing April 23 for the Switch version of Mortal Kombat 11, the gameplay trailer and their official Twitter still say Switch for the same date.

However in the presentation, Switch was not shown to have a collectors edition, so idk make of that what you will.

Hope this clears the air for some!
the switch version is pre-orderable from everywhere, it's just that the premium version isn't announced or isn't coming for switch. it's safe to say the game is day 1 with other versions.
crash team racing on the other hand, that one seems to not be day 1, which makes me sad :(

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
At least now this officially sets a precedence for not having any set precedence on when directs "have to be" or are very likely. No more "well just wait for the big janaruy direct"

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
At least now this officially sets a precedence for not having any set precedence on when directs "have to be" or are very likely. No more "well just wait for the big janaruy direct"

I mean I wouldn't use the word "officially" to say we're not getting a January Direct on January 17th.

But yes, you are likely right.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
There's still two weeks left, yuoke. Don't sign the death certificate yet!
Did anyone in this thread complain about lack of news in november or december and had someone tell them "just wait till january"?
You know this happened. It always happens.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Did anyone in this thread complain about lack of news in november or december and had someone tell them "just wait till january"?
Yes. Right after the game awards, people were saying to people disappointed that they should calm down and that prime trilogy/4 was just moved to the "january direct". The year before people were saying to just wait for all the megatons to come for 2018.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
I'm more than okay with artists coming out of their comfort zone, but it doesn't always turns out okay. Imagine a company that's been working for 6 years on a project asking for a key component for their latest product. You've got to prove that you're exactly the one they need. I don't see what could convice them to hire this guy to compose a racing game music.

That's all I'm saying. But you're free to bring Bejewel 3 or any game's music you probably never listened before this thread.

But hey. Passive aggressiveness is considered normal here.

Man, this whole argument is based on the notion that you don't think a guy that regularly does sci-fi music can't do sci-fi music that's slightly more fast-paced to fit a new context. Kenji Yamamoto has done Metroid Prime and Excite Trucks, just an example.

It's very clear here that your intent is to think the Star Fox Racing not look likely because of the fucking composer. It's ridiculous. I dunno if it's because you wanted Retro to be doing something new and Metroid-like, but there's just too much arrows pointing to space racing furries.

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
Man, this whole argument is based on the notion that you don't think a guy that regularly does sci-fi music can't do sci-fi music that's slightly more fast-paced to fit a new context. Kenji Yamamoto has done Metroid Prime and Excite Trucks, just an example.

It's very clear here that your intent is to think the Star Fox Racing not look likely because of the fucking composer. It's ridiculous. I dunno if it's because you wanted Retro to be doing something new and Metroid-like, but there's just too much arrows pointing to space racing furries.

You're not completely wrong. I'm actually hoping for something else than Star Fox Grand Tour because I'm pretty sure I won't touch it if that's the case. But still, you don't hire someone without having a sense of what they'll do. If they really hired this guy for a racing game, I'm pretty curious about what convinced them.

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
That aint really a good excuse

nothing personal, just saying in general
I'm responding to the question about why people weren't complaint in November and December. People weren't complaining because the assumption was January is when they'd do it, especially with Smash being in December. Now that it's January people are getting antsy. That's why no one complained in November/December.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The compositions of the Wii and Switch install bases are really different though. For example Skyward Sword sold 3+ million on a 100 million install base, BOTW has sold 10 million on a 22 million install base. Switch owners are more likely as a cohort to buy a game like MP4 than Wii owners were to buy MP3.

Skyward Sword is a poor comparison since it came at the end of the Wii's life after Nintendo abandoned the system for a year to focus on the 3DS, while Breath of the Wild was a launch game on top of being revolutionary. Twilight Princess would be a better comparison.

Deleted member 4093

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I'm responding to the question about why people weren't complaint in November and December. People weren't complaining because the assumption was January is when they'd do it, especially with Smash being in December. Now that it's January people are getting antsy. That's why no one complained in November/December.
I know
A lot of people were telling people to wait for it.
I know, those people aren't wrong

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
So for now Switch in April has Mortal Kombat 11, Power Rangers, Dragons Dogma, Final Fantasy X/X-2 and Final Fantasy XII.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Your data is wrong then, and prime 3 is notorious for the lack of marketing it had. Also, it's a universe away in the fact of who the user base is.

Got the sell data.

That said, the Wii and Switch audiences are not really 'universes apart' since the Wii had a lot of suppose 'hardcore' fans that bought games like Twilight Princess at launch. That and Switch have 'non-traditional' gamers, except their from the mobile end instead of 'non-gamers'.

Mecaknight

Banned
Oct 2, 2018
When do the RE come out? Because I never touched the old REs (anything before 4) and I'd like to try 1, 0 and 3 (I'm pretty sure to do the remake on PC). When do they come out?

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
for fun. I was thinking what guest character would Nintendo okay for a Mortal Kombat game.

Obviously. None.

But hypothetically. I couldn't think of one at all lol. Maybe Ganondorf lol. Too Violent for them. Well Game and Watch would be funny.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
That said, the Wii and Switch audiences are not really 'universes apart' since the Wii had a lot of suppose 'hardcore' fans that bought games like Twilight Princess at launch. That and Switch have 'non-traditional' gamers, except their from the mobile end instead of 'non-gamers'.

This. I know gamers like to believe the Switch is some strictly hardcore gamer paradise, but the reality is that there are just as many "casual" Switch owners as there are core gamers. The Switch is a console with universal appeal, not lopsided appeal like most consoles.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
What Nintendo has a quiter year and suddenly they're in trouble now? I really don't get you people. 2018 had Nintendo come off of two of their most ambitious projects in years, along with them finishing up their remaining 3DS projects. give them some time to get another batch of games ready. Plus it's not like the Switch was starving for third party games last year either.

???

I didn't say they were in trouble. The point is that they could have started expanding years ago and tried to maintain a more consistent release schedule that satisfies more people across the entire gaming spectrum. What they're doing right now is working extremely well but it's obvious why people are looking towards Nintendo to deliver on some experiences that are underrepresented on Switch.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I didn't say they were in trouble. The point is that they could have started expanding years ago and tried to maintain a more consistent release schedule that satisfies more people across the entire gaming spectrum. What they're doing right now is working extremely well but it's obvious why people are looking towards Nintendo to deliver on some experiences that are underrepresented on Switch.

Problem is, you can't bang out something like Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey in a year, let alone two years. A lot of people bought the Switch for BotW at launch, but games like those take too much work to make, no matter how many people you hire. I remember reading that Ubisoft has something around 800 people working on an Assasin's Creed title at any given moment.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Problem is, you can't bang out something like Breath of the Wild or Mario Odyssey in a year, let alone two years. A lot of people bought the Switch for BotW at launch, but games like those take too much work to make, no matter how many people you hire. I remember reading that Ubisoft has something around 800 people working on an Assasin's Creed title at any given moment.

And Breath of the Wild isn't even a Switch game. It's a Wii U port.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
for fun. I was thinking what guest character would Nintendo okay for a Mortal Kombat game.

Obviously. None.

But hypothetically. I couldn't think of one at all lol. Maybe Ganondorf lol. Too Violent for them. Well Game and Watch would be funny.

So you're asking which Nintendo character's face do you want to see being ripped off?

Tingle I guess?

LunaSerena

Oct 25, 2017

Obviously. None.

Ridley would be a got fit, since he killed Mario in his reveal trailer, I'd say that makes him violent enough for MK

Status
Not open for further replies.