• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
Since we are talking about Nintendo-published games, people should put Dragon Quest Builders 2 on their list no ?

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Since we are talking about Nintendo-published games, people should put Dragon Quest Builders 2 on their list no ?

Probably, yes, (I did) although some* might argue there's a difference between simply published in the West by Nintendo (Bravely Default, say) and funded and published by Nintendo (Bayo 2). Apparently DxM is one of the latter.

* the same types who like to argue about whether its a handheld or a console.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
Taking a stab at this

March - Yoshi's Crafted World
June - Fire Emblem: Three Houses
July - Daemon x Machina
October - Luigi's Mansion
November - Pokemon Core RPG
December - Animal Crossing

I probably forgot some things.
I really wish we would start seeing dates for some of these though
I don't know if it would be convenient to have Pokemon and Animal Crossing so near, their audiences are quite overlapped on my opinion.
I continue to think that a summer release would make more sense, or at least I hope so. Because of how much near Pokemon and Smash were, I couldn't enjoy enough the first one and barely finished it playing one hour per day, while with a gap of 2 months I would also completed the dex, just to provide a personal example.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
Does DQB2 have an announced date for this year? I'm in for that day one. Is it also on PS4 here, or does Nintendo publishing the game on Switch give it some sort of weird western exclusivity?

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Does DQB2 have an announced date for this year? I'm in for that day one. Is it also on PS4 here, or does Nintendo publishing the game on Switch give it some sort of weird western exclusivity?
there's probably no exclusivity, but there will most definitely be differences in marketing.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Either AC or Pokémon would make a lot of sense to coincide with the release of the (cheaper?) revision. We only think it's coming out in the second half, right?

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
Never played a FE game in my whole life. How difficult is it for someone who usually doesn't care about strategy games?

Fire Emblem's difficulty is highly customizable. There are Easy, Normal, Hard, and Lunatic difficulties, which you combine with either Classic Mode (permanent death) or Casual Mode (no permanent death).

It's perfect for newcomers, whether they want a breezy RPG experience, a difficult RPG experience, an easier tactical experience, or rigorous tactical challenges.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
As a side note to my earlier post, the Splatoon developers also said in their Iwata Asks that Splatoon was the first major new Nintendo IP since Pikmin. So they weren't counting Xenoblade either, for whatever reason.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Fire Emblem's difficulty is highly customizable. There are Easy, Normal, Hard, and Lunatic difficulties, which you combine with either Classic Mode (permanent death) or Casual Mode (no permanent death).

It's perfect for newcomers, whether they want a breezy RPG experience, a difficult RPG experience, an easier tactical experience, or rigorous tactical challenges.

Yep, exactly. I think it's worth adding that this obviously also represents a lot of replay value too!

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
As a side note to my earlier post, the Splatoon developers also said in their Iwata Asks that Splatoon was the first major new Nintendo IP since Pikmin. So they weren't counting Xenoblade either, for whatever reason.

They were talking about EAD specifically - which I think basically brings you back to what you were saying, you're hankering for a new EAD/SPD/EPD/whatever they're called now IP

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
They were part of EPD so it makes sense for them to only think abour EPD games

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
Maaaaan, I would sell my soul for a Shadows the Damned port for the Switch. Really really loved that game.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Guys a source has told me there will be a general direct Febuary 7th
AllBlindFawn-size_restricted.gif

Deleted member 9584

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I'm assuming the day of the direct will be before the Pirhana Plant amino releases and they shadowdrop it in Smash during the Direct. So I'm expecting the direct before Feb 14th.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
I don't think its the lack of new IP from Nintendo that's people's issue. It's the type of IP.

Basically they want a new IP that is a high budget, single-player focused retail release that plays like a traditional game and is developed by a particular part of Nintendo's development team. It's quite a specific thing to want but I'm sure they'll be at least one release on the Switch that fits that criteria.

Kcannon

Oct 30, 2017
You touched on it at the end. Mr Iwata has been gone for several years. Mr Miyamoto is no longer involved with day-to-day software management. Decades old quotes from those two provide us no guidance on how Nintendo thinks or operates these days.

That's not to say Nintendo is going to suddenly start buying up western studios or anything, but it remains that Furukawa makes these decisions now We have no real clue as to his thinking on this matter.

I'm hopeful we get some big interviews with him at E3 this year.

Miyamoto's latest quote comes from 2017. And it appears Takahashi agrees with him. Those are Nintendo's most influential creative people.

Very doubtful Furukawa will do much differently, especially when he seems more interesting in strengthening Nintendo's mobile divisions.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Yeah. Atlas was a big miss. I think they could look at studios that are struggling financially but produce well reviewed games. They really should have bought Blizzard.
And have Overwatch not be on PC, no thanks. As much as I love Nintendo, a Nintendo-owned Blizzard likely would have ended Overwatch DLC support after the first year or so.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I know this time without a Direct is a bit crappy, but do you guys even remember most of 2016?

One measily Direct in the first half of the year, Wii U was literally dead, E3 had very little besides Zelda, Smash DLC had ended, Pokemon was their sole major release that year, a mountain of fake NX rumors, like, wow, how did we even make it through that shit. Thinking about that time makes me thankful for all of the games we have to play now. We got it pretty good now.

That was almost 11 months of nothing.

This is nothing compared to that time, not even close

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
And is there any rumour of Fantasy Life 2? I loved the 3DS game :(
Or Story of Seasons? We know it was planned for Nintendo Switch when games were teased in 2017 with the presentation, but nothing new since then, not even a re-confirmation :(

IIRC the most recent SOS news was they were re-releasing Tale of Two Towns for the 3DS with some improvements. I don't think it has a Japanese release date yet and there's not very much info on it. There's been no info whatsoever on a switch game which has honestly been the biggest disappointment for me, given tale of two towns was my least favorite modern HM/SOS.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I know this time without a Direct is a bit crappy, but do you guys even remember most of 2016?

One measily Direct in the first half of the year, Wii U was literally dead, E3 had very little besides Zelda, Smash DLC had ended, Pokemon was their sole major release that year, a mountain of fake NX rumors, like, wow, how did we even make it through that shit. Thinking about that time makes me thankful for all of the games we have to play now. We got it pretty good now.

The difference is that the WiiU was dead, everyone had reached the acceptation phase, and the NX/Switch was something to look forward. Now, the Switch it supposed to enter its peak years and I understand why people would be eager for news about existing or new games, and specifically the kind of games that take time to develop (ambitious is the usual label though it's not an accurate one). Also, 2018 was for many a disappointment, and the "wait for the upcoming direct" line which was already the narrative at that time, before we all just had to accept that Nintendo wasn't showing much because they just didn't have much things to show.
I was very optimistic for 2019 just few weeks ago and I haven't given up on the hope that it still may be a good year from a first party perspective. But with the slow start of the year which we have right now, combined with the absence of visibility and the impressions that things in general move very very slowly at Nintendo (the online service and their legacy content being still as dreadful as they could be), it's difficult not to be reminded of 2018.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
There's a huge spectrum between indie games and AAA Ubisoft-productions and I'd argue people want more stuff that falls somewhere in-between. The average Nintendo gamer has a higher affinity for these "AA-games" like Kid Icarus or Fire Emblem in the first place.

Well, it isn't like the Switch isn't getting these games regularly. Sushi Striker, Octopath, ARMS, Splatoon 2, even multiplatform titles like VC4 and Mega Man 11. 2018 already had quite a few of these games, and 2019 should have even more of them.

I agree, we're just now starting to see the effects of the consolidation of their development teams. 2019 is a definite improvement over 2018 but we'll see if they can keep it up beyond that.

I think they can. If we go by the standard development cycle for a game, then they should have enough content to fill the entirety of 2019 and 2020 at least. There may be a few rough patches of no big releases in a year, but it's probably never going to be like a Wii U drought again, as there's still going to be games coming regularly.

I don't think its the lack of new IP from Nintendo that's people's issue. It's the type of IP.

Basically they want a new IP that is a high budget, single-player focused retail release that plays like a traditional game and is developed by a particular part of Nintendo's development team. It's quite a specific thing to want but I'm sure they'll be at least one release on the Switch that fits that criteria.

Whoever is asking this honestly has no idea how Nintendo works. Nintendo's MO has always been to make games that are unique from everything else on the market, even if its in a popular genre. Often utilizing a quirky control scheme, or console gimmick. So whatever Nintendo comes up with will fit that same line of thinking.

I think they specifically said the first character driven new IP from EAD, which is true. People really need to start paying attention to the language in these interviews.

Last edited:

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017

2016 was fine for me. We knew NX news would come sooner or later. Even when they said E3 would only be Zelda I was jazzed because I was looking forward to learning more about that game so much. E3 was great, there was so much to digest with BotW. I'll always remember watching that trailer for the game, and then all those streams. And all year long the hype for Sun and Moon wasn't bad either.

In retrospect 2016 was a good time. It became a bit tedious to wait for NX news around September, but then we finally got it and it was great.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL

The glass will always be half-empty for some.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
The fact that people keep adding Deamon X Machina into these conversations tells you everything. It looks like a mid range title. The kind of thing that third parties release on the PS4 every month. It's got 7/10 written all over it. But becuase it's Switch exclusive people here talk about it like it's a tent pole release or something.

Daemon X Machina looks way more fun to me than most of Nintendo's extant switch software.

Herb Alpert

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Paris, France

Ho boy was it indeed hard to be a Nintendo fan in 2016.

When kimishima announced that E3 would only be Zelda and no NX, it probably was the biggest disappointment regarding video games since WiiU first E3.

People need to Chill. 2019 will be a very good year for the Switch.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

They're not directly publishing it, they're just distributing it. Publishing also includes marketing efforts and there's no way in the hell Nintendo do the marketing for a game that's also coming to PS4. And considering how aggressive Nintendo is against its rivals, I don't think even their distribution deal allows Square to release the game on other platforms in West.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
The fact that people keep adding Deamon X Machina into these conversations tells you everything. It looks like a mid range title. The kind of thing that third parties release on the PS4 every month. It's got 7/10 written all over it. But becuase it's Switch exclusive people here talk about it like it's a tent pole release or something.

Except the closest game to this is Armored Core and we haven't seen one in 6 years, so sure "every month".

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
They're not directly publishing it, they're just distributing it. Publishing also includes marketing efforts and there's no way in the hell Nintendo do the marketing for a game that's also coming to PS4. And considering how aggressive Nintendo is against its rivals, I don't think even their distribution deal allows Square to release the game on other platforms in West.

Technically we don't know if the game is coming on PS4 in Western markets too, Square has yet to announce it.

Virtu Al

Oct 25, 2017
Italy, Rome

I remember how relieved I was once the Switch was announced. it felt like Nintendo went on radio silence for so long and then the floodgates opened. I know people are frustrated with the silence between Directs, but it's true that this is nothing compared to that period between the death of the Wii U and the switch announcement. Until then it was almost as if Nintendo wasn't even much of a presence anymore except for BOTW.

Strat

Apr 8, 2018
That's why I questioned it. It would seem incredibly odd for Nintendo to foot the bill for full on publishing if SE is gonna go ahead and just publish it themselves on PS4 in NA. Marketing is totally different, multiplat games are constantly marketed by the big three, so I don't know why you'd assume Nintendo would absolutely not market the game under any circumstances unless it was exclusive.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017

Anybody see this? I think Pixelpar is teasing Darksiders. He replied to his own tweet with a reply to the Darksiders official tweet where someone asked for Darksiders 3 for Switch and they replied with "perhaps" 🤔

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands

Anybody see this? I think Pixelpar is teasing Darksiders. He replied to his own tweet with a reply to the Darksiders official tweet where someone asked for Darksiders 3 for Switch and they replied with "perhaps" 🤔

Looks like Darksiders is coming to Switch indeed, but the Twitter account doesn't necessarily hint at Darksiders III. It could as well be a port of the 1 and/or 2 remaster. And in case of Amazon.de article 1024357, that's the Austrian standard edition of the PS4 version of Darksiders III, which is German language, but without USK rating. So it's not like those missing article numbers necessarily mean a Switch version.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017

This wouldn't surprise me. THQNordic is literally the best western supporter of Switch. They even have 4 big releases in Q1 and another one is heavily rumored (Red Faction Remarstered). Darksiders games will come to Switch sooner or later.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
IIRC the most recent SOS news was they were re-releasing Tale of Two Towns for the 3DS with some improvements. I don't think it has a Japanese release date yet and there's not very much info on it. There's been no info whatsoever on a switch game which has honestly been the biggest disappointment for me, given tale of two towns was my least favorite modern HM/SOS.

Tale of Two Twons + was released in Japan in 2017 (it was only released there, no plans for any other countries since Japan didn't receive the 3DS remake.

Nintendo published in the beginning of 2017 (when Switch was presented) a chart with all the games that would be released on Switch, including Story of Seasons, with no date for then (TBA) and now. We haven'd had any info since then. At the beginning of last year, Marvelous opened a new studio, Hakama, which has published one single game since then (Dragon Marked for Death, January 31 2019) and currently working on two other not-revealed games. At this point, we don't even know which studio is working on it nor if they're working on it.
Makes me very sad :(

DarkDetective

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
This wouldn't surprise me. THQNordic is literally the best western supporter of Switch. They even have 4 big releases in Q1 and another one is heavily rumored (Red Faction Remarstered). Darksiders games will come to Switch sooner or later.
I wouldn't say they're the best Switch supporter. It's most cheap late ports, which are nice to have, but most of their main products are completely skipping the Switch.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I mean, I do think February 7th would be the latest possible date for a Direct. They need to get the Piranha Plant release date out before February 14th, and I doubt they would ever make a Smash announcement like that in a Twitter post.

Ethifury

Dec 4, 2017
Looks like Darksiders is coming to Switch indeed, but the Twitter account doesn't necessarily hint at Darksiders III. It could as well be a port of the 1 and/or 2 remaster. And in case of Amazon.de article 1024357, that's the Austrian standard edition of the PS4 version of Darksiders III, which is German language, but without USK rating. So it's not like those missing article numbers necessarily mean a Switch version.

Never said "Darksiders 3". I mentioned Darksiders in general.

Getting Darksiders 1&2 would be amazing. I need to play the series.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
February 7 would make sense at this point. First week after Nintendo's financials. I can't see it January 31st because Nintendo's Investors Meeting likely will be that day.

Status
Not open for further replies.