• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
This is my issue as well. I'm not a fan of smash, so last year the only first party stuff I bought was the XB2 expansion (very fun) and Pokemon Let's Go (which was charming but incredibly underwhelming). As much as I appreciated the 3rd party output last year (and am excited for what's coming this year), I'm dying to play a great Nintendo game.

I heard good things about Torna as well but the JRPGs and myself officially divorced more than 15 years ago, and our relationship is beyond repairs.
I believe that the octoexpansion was their most remarkable work of 2018, even including smash. And unlike some their other first party releases (looking at you Mario Tennis), it really did not seem undercooked at all. They expanded on Splatoon's concept and made something really interesting with it, to the point that I'm almost more looking forward for the single player than the multiplayer mode of the inevitable Splatoon 3, as I doubt that they'll fix the numerous issues with the latter.
I still have hope for some nice surprises in the second half of the year, but I'm thinking that my switch will be this year, once again, my hybrid indie machine; not bad, mind you, but less than what it could be.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
2019's lineup:
  • Five first party releases: Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Yoshi's Crafted World.
  • Other Nintendo published exclusives: Daemon X Machina, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Travis Strikes Again, Fitness Boxing.
  • More unannounced Nintendo surprises: Does anyone truly believe that Nintendo would reveal their entire 2019 lineup before 2019 had even started? They still have a few more surprises up their sleeves.
  • Wii U ports: New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. And at least one or two more Wii U ports are coming.
  • eShop exclusives: Yes.
  • Third Party Support: 2018's third party support was significantly better than 2017's. Expect 2019's third party support to be even better than 2018's. There's still more third party stuff that hasn't been announced yet.
  • Indie support: Way better than 2017's indie support. Just to name a few games: Wargroove, Untitled Goose Game, Toe Jam & Earl, Mineko's Night Market.
Yeah, 2019's line-up is looking really good so far, and i'm sure that it'll definitely surpass 2017 once we have seen all of it. Even without insider knowledge anyone could assume that. Just in terms of unannounced First-Party stuff, i've been expecting a couple more Wii U ports (with The Wonderful 101 being the most obvious to me) and Digital-Only first-party title for awhile, and i'm sure we'll have many surprises throughout the year (I mean, we already "know" a bit of what to expect in that regard thanks to some posts in this thread). Third-Party stuff will also undeniably eclipse what we got in 2017 and even 2018.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
Jeez you need to calm down. Nintendo may skip a game in february... so what ? It's not like they never release two games in the same month sometimes. They did it in 2018 for may (two ports), june (two brand new games) and july (one brand new game, one port, heck, july even had Octo Expansion which is one of the best dlc ever).
You'll get your games, but it's crazy to see how you can't just live without a game/month. (And even that doesn't work since so many people are like "Yoshi for Q1 ? It's like no game for Q1 !")

2017 all over again. Crazy to see how it's now remembered as one crazy year for Nintendo, and yet I'm sure that most of you complaining about early 2019 were complaining during 2017. "So we get Zelda, and now we wait 7 months until Mario, the second REAL new game release on Switch ? Really Nintendo ? Worst launch ever."

I agree. As much as I like new game announcements I can't complain about not having something to play. We often read about gamers having a "backlog" problem, so I really don't know how some people supposedly manage to play as many new games as they seem to demand.

I definitely think you can make the case that 2017, on the basis of that list, has different types of first party exclusives.

I guess people, like me, who have found that a Switch fits into their life better than a PS4, and bought on the strength of the 1-2 punch of Zelda and Mario have felt a little disappointed that there's not more like that. Maybe FE scratches that itch. It looks ... very anime.

If that's the case, there are multiplats like Crash Team Racing, MK11, Sonic Racing etc. you can give a chance, if Switch is your preferred way to play games anyway, I see no reason to ignore these games.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
I played the 3DS demo of Captain Todd, and I just came to an epiphany. What if 3D World hasn't landed on the Switch yet because they are porting it to 3DS as well? Insane I know, but Captain Toad translated spendidly to the platform, so its not like they don't have the engine already done to do somethibg like this.

One of main points 3D World is local multiplayer, so porting 3D World to 3DS dont makes too much sense.

Last edited:

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
2019's lineup:
  • Five first party releases: Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Yoshi's Crafted World.
  • Other Nintendo published exclusives: Daemon X Machina, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3, Travis Strikes Again, Fitness Boxing.
  • More unannounced Nintendo surprises: Does anyone truly believe that Nintendo would reveal their entire 2019 lineup before 2019 had even started? They still have a few more surprises up their sleeves.
  • Wii U ports: New Super Mario Bros U Deluxe. And at least one or two more Wii U ports are coming.
  • Third Party Support: 2018's third party support was significantly better than 2017's. Expect 2019's third party support to be even better than 2018's. There's still more third party stuff that hasn't been announced yet.
  • Indie support: Way better than 2017's indie support. Just to name a few games: Wargroove, Untitled Goose Game, Toe Jam & Earl, Mineko's Night Market.

It's evident that there are indeed people who think that Nintendo announced all their major 1st party games for this year already, even though we just got a Smash announcement in March last year, a full reveal in June and then it released in December. There are even people who don't think they'll be able to release just what they've already announced, let alone significantly more than that.

karmitt

Oct 27, 2017
It's evident that there are indeed people who think that Nintendo announced all their major 1st party games for this year already, even though we just got a Smash announcement in March last year, a full reveal in June and then it released in December. There are even people who don't think they'll be able to release just what they've already announced, let alone significantly more than that.

Considering Fire Emblem and Yoshi were supposed to release in 2018, I don't blame them for the caution.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
We played this game last and year (wait for the next Direct) and the first half wasn't great. The scary thing is the first half of this year might even turn on out worse.

At this point it looks like Nintendo's Switch lineup for Q1 is a port of the 6 year old NSMBU and a Yoshi game that doesn't exactly look amazing.

2019 is not going to be the return of 2017's amazing first party lineup as many are hoping for.

We already had a good idea of what to expect from 2018 with the Direct Mini and Labo reveal in January, not to mention Emily's comments. We don't have a Direct or anything regarding Nintendo's 2019 yet, so calm down and wait.

2017 was an incredible year from EPD. 2018 was bad. 2019 looks better but nowhere near 2017 for now. Unfortunately for me one of the few EPD franchises I dont care about is Animal Crossing.

Again, let's just wait and see what a Direct will bring us before we make that conclusion.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Realistically too, Three Houses was announced very early in 2017 so people wouldn't get a mindset of Fire Emblem becoming strictly a mobile franchise.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Just came back to this thread after a few days, looks like it got pretty bad after Wednesday...

However, I can understand the people who are upset. A lot of people keep saying the gap in February will be filled by third parties, but the only games I can think of are Steinsgate, which I played already, and Trials, which aren't exactly huge releases. Can anybody point me to other games worth playing that release next month?
Blazblue central fiction is out next month

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
My concern is Animal Crossing will be delayed. I feel like it was announced to calm fans when they added Isabelle to the Smash roster. Could definitely see that game get thrown into 2020.

Glio

Oct 27, 2017
Spain
My concern is Animal Crossing will be delayed. I feel like it was announced to calm fans when they added Isabelle to the Smash roster. Could definitely see that game get thrown into 2020.
In hindsight, it is curious the amount of early announcements that would be avoided if fans acted as adults.

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
If King Zell's Nindies Showcase claim holds true, then I have a good feeling that Wargroove will come out in February. Gamexplain just did a gameplay showcase video for Wargroove. It really feels like Wargroove is finally ready.
Blazblue central fiction is out next month
So a 4 year old port and an indie game not even confirmed for release in February are meant to carry the entire month? Idk, I think February is looking pretty damn barren in terms of first and third party releases

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
I'm glad I bought a PS4 this Christmas bc the start of 2019 for Switch is looking very very weak imo.

While other systems are receiving games like Kingdom Hearts 3, Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro...

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
I'm glad I bought a PS4 this Christmas bc the start of 2019 for Switch is looking very very weak imo.

While other systems are receiving games like Kingdom Hearts 3, Devil May Cry 5, Resident Evil 2, Sekiro...
Perhaps the switch could get a sequel to KI Uprising, bayo 3 and a new Fatal Frame or eternal darkness to counter those. Lol

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018

If you're specifically worried about a particular game being delayed because you're a fan, I get that. I think the general "yeah, they've announced games but some *may* be delayed so this year might still be bad" attitude is a very different, much more negative mindset. I think there are probably enough games planned for this year that even if 1 or 2 happen to slip into 2020, it won't make that much of a difference.

Are people copying and pasting this list from the same place or is it just reflective at this point?

lunanto

Banned
Dec 1, 2017
If you're specifically worried about a particular game being delayed because you're a fan, I get that. I think the general "yeah, they've announced games but some *may* be delayed so this year might still be bad" attitude is a very different, much more negative mindset. I think there are probably enough games planned for this year that even if 1 or 2 happen to slip into 2020, it won't make that much of a difference.

Are people copying and pasting this list from the same place or is it just reflective at this point?
Nope. That list is a reality, a painful one it seems.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
Before claiming that 2019 is not the return of 2017's lineup, please take a minute to think about what you're saying.

2017's lineup:

• Five "brand new" first party releases: Zelda BOTW, ARMS, Splatoon 2, Mario Odyssey, and Xenoblade Chronicles 2
  • Other Nintendo published exclusives: Fire Emblem Warriors.
  • Two Wii U ports: In April, we got Mario Kart 8 Deluxe. In September, we got Pokken Tournament DX.
  • The biggest game in May was...an enhanced port of Super Street Fighter 2?
  • In November, we got two ports of Bethesda games: Doom + Skyrim.
  • 1 Ubisoft exclusive: Mario + Rabbids Kingdom Battle
  • eShop exclusives: Snipperclips, Flip Wars

2019's lineup:

I don't mean any disrespect. I respect that you have your own personal tastes in games. But it just seems a little bizarre to claim that 2019 doesn't even come close to 2017. Maybe the bigger issue is you don't care for the Nintendo IPs that are releasing this year (Pokemon, Animal Crossing, Fire Emblem)? Whereas in 2017, you were a fan of Mario, Zelda, Splatoon and Xenoblade?

Quick question, do you think any New IP from Nintendo will be released this year? I know Takahashi said that they're working on one after the other shortly after the Switch launched.

louisacommie

Oct 25, 2017
New Jersey
Weirldy i think luigis mansion 3 is my mostantipcated 1st party game so far

Gen 8 footage can change that

And if orime 4, retros game or 2d zelda could be a suprise

Yoshi is at the bottom

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
But they've got several coming in this next few months, not to mention huge third party support up until now. Switch is about to enter its third year and is still struggling getting third party on board.
Considering we're barely three weeks into 2019 and we know Mortal Kombat 11, DOOM Eternal, RE4, and a bunch of Final Fantasies are on the way, I think it's a bit hyperbolic. I wouldn't even be too surprised if more never-before-on-a-Nintendo-system announcements drop in relatively soon.
Am I the only one who still has a shit ton to play? That's what always gets me when people want new stuff all the time.
Some people are just really finicky.

K Samedi

Oct 27, 2017
Im a very satisfied Switch owner and I have more than enough to play but I have a hard time convincing Playstation gamer friends to get one because it misses crucial genres or franchises. It wouldn't hurt if there were more fps and story heavy action advanture games like Uncharted, Resident Evil, GTA, Devil May Cry or Call of Duty.

Nintendo really needs to invest in more studios that can make these type of games for them. It would balance their output. Heck I would even love Miyamoto or just an internal Nintendo team to make a new IP like that. I mean Miyamoto did say he could make a game like Halo, why isnt he? That would be crazy suprising and it would sell loads of copies just because the Nintendo fanbase would go nuts over that stuff.

@dedmunk

Banned
Oct 11, 2018
What I don't get is why do people count unannounced projects, undated games or games that are just rumours as "sure thing" 2019 releases?

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019
What I don't get is why do people count unannounced projects, undated games or games that are just rumours as "sure thing" 2019 releases?
This this this. I've seen Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 on way too many prospective Switch 2019 lists. (I do suspect Bayonetta 3 will make 2019, but it's not sure enough that I'm willing to include it in my prediction list.)

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
This this this. I've seen Metroid Prime 4 and Bayonetta 3 on way too many prospective Switch 2019 lists. (I do suspect Bayonetta 3 will make 2019, but it's not sure enough that I'm willing to include it in my prediction list.)
I don't think i've seen Metroid Prime 4 on any 2019 lists recently (at least in this thread). Most people seem to agree that it'll most likely be a 2020 title.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
This is a pretty definitive list of the major titles for the first half of 2019. I'd personally add Metro: Exodus and Anthem, but
those four are the big ones, and none of them are coming to Switch.

OK, but why do these 3rd party games (or the lack of them) keep coming up in a 1st party Nintendo thread? is the argument that Nintendo should have had Metroid Prime Trilogy for Feb to counteract them or?

The key word is 'prospective'.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
That does sorta suck. It really is time for third parties to step up in this case, but support is still lagging behind. Are you looking forward to ports like Dragon's Dogma, by any chance? I'm sure once we get a Direct or two, we'll hear about a lot more games that might hold you off until we get a new Zelda or something.

I have got Rabbids, Toad and Hollow Knight to finish off but really I'm doing it out of a sense of wanting to get value rather than enjoying them. I have stuff on the Smash challenges but I don't know if I'm having fun or just being manipulated into playing more.

I will probably buy Animal Crossing but I shouldn't. I will play that waaau to much. I like stuff where you can finish the game. Otherwise I get into a Football Manager hundred hour situation. I'll probably play a lot of football manager touch.

I was hoping to see stuff like Yakuza 0 ported. Stuff that I'd like to play on PS4 but would not get TV time to play. Persona 5 too. Maybe some Dead Rising or Hitman. Hitman is never going to happen though. Waaaay too technologically advanced.

Jubenhimer

Alt Account
Banned
Jan 14, 2019
I was hoping to see stuff like Yakuza 0 ported. Stuff that I'd like to play on PS4 but would not get TV time to play. Persona 5 too. Maybe some Dead Rising or Hitman. Hitman is never going to happen though. Waaaay too technologically advanced.

Those announcements will come soon though. We've already had a ton of third party announcements for 2019. But anyone who thought the Switch would receive absolutely every game that releases on PS4 or Xbox One simply doesn't get that, that was never the Switch's intended purpose. For better or worse, Nintendo isn't interested in being everyone's main platform. They'd prefer to fill holes in the market than compete in a segment that's increasingly difficult to stand out in.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
So assuming all rumors are true, we could be looking at:

Metroid Prime Trilogy HD
Metroid Prime 4
2D Metroid

Does anyone else think that might be overkill for this series given its past sales?
No. You want MPT for people to "catch up" with the Prime series. There won't be high expectations there.

In the past Nintendo releases a 3D Metroid and 2D Metroid on the same day. I don't expect them to do the same now.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
I would be happy if Samus Returns got ported from 3DS. It should be an easy port right?
It would need more work done on it than the Prime Trilogy, so I don't know if I would call it an "easy" port. It is feasible, but with the possibility of three other Metroid games coming to the Switch, it might be a bit overkill.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Why people keep asking for a port of Samus Returns? I get it was good, but we possibly have a brand new 2D Metroid already coming. Now that is overkill. Just leave it on the 3DS forever.

Status
Not open for further replies.