• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
If the Direct is next week it will be right up before investors q and a because in Japan and Europe Direct would air on February 1.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
So the video also confirmed that Tanabe will continue to work on MP4 but now with Retro. I know the video clearly stated "starting from scratch" but, surely at least some of the pre-production work can be a bit quicker with Tanabe carrying ideas, concepts and directions across? I mean, at the very least, he must have a very clear vision for what he wants the game to be... so they won't need to wait around for that.
Yeah I find it hard to believe that there's absolutely nothing salvageable, even if it's just pre-production. Though I don't think that'll make too much difference to the dev time, holiday 2021 seems like the absolute earliest, but even that's pretty unrealistic.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
So the video also confirmed that Tanabe will continue to work on MP4 but now with Retro. I know the video clearly stated "starting from scratch" but, surely at least some of the pre-production work can be a bit quicker with Tanabe carrying ideas, concepts and directions across? I mean, at the very least, he must have a very clear vision for what he wants the game to be... so they won't need to wait around for that.
Well, it's hard to say, but I still think sylux will be a focus.

Ritz

Jan 2, 2019
Yeah I find it hard to believe that there's absolutely nothing salvageable, even if it's just pre-production. Though I don't think that'll make too much difference to the dev time, holiday 2021 seems like the absolute earliest, but even that's pretty unrealistic.
I'm thinking new engine, that kind of stuff. Surely there's a ton of pre-production that will be kept on file.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
I also believe in a Direct for next week.
Even if this info has been received very well by fans, Nintendo don't want to let a "bad news" be the last news they got for too long.
Also, the Smash 2.0 is coming "within the next week"... Might be nothing, but right now given the timing, I would say it'll be shadow dropped after the direct, with Pirahna Plant.

lovecatt

Nov 12, 2017
I wonder what Intelligent Systems next Switch project will be after Three Houses. They're usually pretty good at pumping out games quickly.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Definitely a bummer, hopefully the have some good 2019 announcements coming soon to make up for that blow. I really do think the MP4 situation highlights why Nintendo's increasing reliance on outside developers, particularly large ones like Bamco, is not ideal. The loss of control, steady output and team growth, etc., is all lost in these situations, and they were not even getting Bamco's A-team for their trouble, they were getting a C-team. Hopefully Nintendo looks to buy/create new studios in the future, and builds up their existing studios like Retro, to avoid this kind of thing.

Probably, although I'm not sure how much of the actual asset work, etc., they would be able to get from Bamco. Depends on how that contract was structured.

Gold Link

Apr 24, 2018
Zelda delay video was uploaded on 3.27.15 which is friday. and General Direct was uploaded on 4.1.15 (wed)
Metroid Prime 4 delay video was uploaded on friday. and.. you know what I want to say. Investor meeting is thursday.. so direct happening on next wednesday?

I thought Nintendo doesn't always have to do direct before investors meeting,
but, in this case, just releasing MP4 delay video and after that, hold investors meeting directly?
wouldn't it be much better to do direct before meeting to calm down investors?

Dellstrami

Feb 1, 2018
Zelda delay video was uploaded on 3.27.15 which is friday. and General Direct was uploaded on 4.1.15 (wed)
Metroid Prime 4 delay video was uploaded in friday. and.. you know what I want to say. Investor meeting is thursday.. so direct happening on next wednesday?

In my opinion, almost a certainty that there's a Direct in the next week or two.

I wonder what Intelligent Systems next Switch project will be after Three Houses. They're usually pretty good at pumping out games quickly.

I will join in... TURN BASED PAPER MARIO RPG

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
Metroid Prime 4 delay video was uploaded in friday. and.. you know what I want to say. Investor meeting is thursday.. so direct happening on next wednesday?

I thought Nintendo doesn't always have to do direct before investors meeting,
but, in this case, just releasing MP4 delay video and after that, hold investors meeting directly?
wouldn't it be much better to do direct before meeting to calm down investors?
I dont think there will be Direct on Wednesday, i think on Thursday because in Japan and Europe that will be in timezone of February 1st and investors q and a is on Friday 1st of February.

Guaraná

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
brazil, unfortunately
these last couple of months since Game Awards have been pretty disappointed.
First, Prime Trilogy was a no-show, then that "fake" or yet to be proved true Persona 5 port, then the lack of games for Q1 2019 (cy) including the lack of a Direct and now these.

oh well... as a nintendo fan, I'm used to it, but that still sucks.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Before that i think they will work on Three Houses DLCs for a while.
They can do DLC while other people work on something else. Paper Mario leads for instance have nothing to do with Fire Emblem, Paper Mario's probably right now pretty far into dev imo, I expect it for 2020. No need for a full team to create a bunch of maps for Fire Emblem. But I do expect a lot of DLCs for Three Houses, you are right.

Frankish

Oct 25, 2017
USA
At least the fact Nintendo trusts Retro so much means that the new Star Fox must be pretty good (otherwise Nintendo wouldn't trust them so much). And it's probably close to completion, allowing Retro to shift over resources to MP4.

Silver linings.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
At least the fact Nintendo trusts Retro so much means that the new Star Fox must be pretty good (otherwise Nintendo wouldn't trust them so much). And it's probably close to completion, allowing Retro to shift over resources to MP4.

Silver linings.

Yep. This was the big takeaway for me. Star Fox must be great. Retro is great. All is great. I hope Retro has steadied the ship now and won't have anymore development troubles.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I'm not worried about Paper Mario. Tanabe has been busy with Metroid. I wonder if he's still the producer for Paper Mario or they got someone new.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

This is very interesting if true. It sounds like they probably have a ton of assets and concepts they can reuse but they want to put it all together with one studio rather than multiple. Plus Retro having a demo put together seems to suggest this isn't literally going to be starting from scratch. I could see it being closer to 3 years away than 4.

Rogue Agent

Oct 25, 2017

This is very interesting if true. It sounds like they probably have a ton of assets and concepts they can reuse but they want to put it all together with one studio rather than multiple. Plus Retro having a demo put together seems to suggest this isn't literally going to be starting from scratch. I could see it being closer to 3 years away than 4.

Oh. Interesting! That fills me with more confidence than before.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017

Looks like I missed most of the carnival of stupid and came back just in time to see this.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

Nintendo please grow your studios more. You need more internal manpower so you're not searching for outsiders to do it. Don't quote me about how they can let external people here and there do it. You run into problems like this.

They need to add a couple more internal studios who can handle the workload of their own IP's. This should've been done since the Wii. Open another 2 western studios or something

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Retro:

tenor.gif

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Retro showing Nintendo how it's done still. Screw those people who keep talking about "but Metroid Prime people left". They don't know anything. Retro is and will always be a great studio. DKC already proved this.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
I find it hilarious that Kingdom Hearts III literally just came out in Japan and it went through this exact same issue. It had to be redone from scratch in a new engine.

Deleted member 1839

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I find it hilarious that Kingdom Hearts III literally just came out in Japan and it went through this exact same issue. It had to be redone from scratch in a new engine.

FFVIIR would be a far better comparison since Square had an external studio(CC2) developing the game but remove them and shift the development to their internal studios.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017

In addition to a Paper Mario, I wouldn't be surprised to see another Fire Emblem remake before the next mainline entry, turning the 'Echoes' moniker into a series that alternates similarly to Pokémon.

Status
Not open for further replies.