• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Most games that you list were at least considered to be ported to the Nintendo Switch.

Kingdom Hearts 3: here
Final Fantasy XIV Online: here
Final Fantasy XV: here
The Elder Scrolls Online here

I would certainly welcome the above games on the Switch, as well as Ni No Kinu 2 and Nioh. Unfortunately, that seems pretty unlikely.

Considered isn't the same as actually getting. Even with Kingdom Hearts 3, it makes no sense that the Switch doesn't even get that giant collection edition. Out of this list, Final Fantasy 15 is the most understandable since that game barely runs on a base PS4.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Not having blade options was def a benefit in those respects, I just missed the combat freedom that came with having a ton of blades at your disposal.

I did think the sidequests were generally pretty decent and did quite a few before it got to the required side quest part. Just once I got there I was ready to beat the game and having to do a bunch of fetch quests bummed me out

Admittedly, I ran into the same problem. Despite doing all the side-quests, I still had to do a bunch to unlocked the final area since a lot more side-quests suddenly unlocked on me, which did annoyed me since I was ready to see the ending of the game by that point.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
And probably 1-2 2D Zelda games as well. Also it could be even more if Nintendo stays with the Switch concept for a very long time (with new iterations). Also it could be 5 Monolithsoft games if Monolithsoft Kyoto is allowed to make a game themselves which is Honnes wish (but i guess that's not as easy).
Man I want him to get the people he needs ASAP to make games. He seems to have that hunger and he's proven. He's not a rookie.

Can you imagine Monolith doing 3 games at a time...good god

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Apparently Kingdom Hearts 3 has performance issues on the PS4 and PS4 Pro. I don't think it will ever come to Switch.

In the case of Kingdom Hearts 3, it sounds more like poor optimization than actually pushing the PS4. Unreal Engine 4 is very scaleable, so it's odd Kingdom Hearts 3 has the same issues as Final Fantasy 15. Especially the frame pacing.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I think KHIII will come for Switch eventually. They'll have to reduce the geometry to get it to work, but they'll get it to work. Too much of an upside to ignore.

KHIII was very expensive, and the PS4 isn't exactly doing gangbusters in Japan.

But this is the Nintendo first-party thread.

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
In the case of Kingdom Hearts 3, it sounds more like poor optimization than actually pushing the PS4. Unreal Engine 4 is very scaleable, so it's odd Kingdom Hearts 3 has the same issues as Final Fantasy 15. Especially the frame pacing.
Even so, if Square Enix can't optimize KH3 for their target platform, I don't want to know how poorly optimized KH3 would be on Switch.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Because it just finished for PS4 and XB1? Why would they worry about Switch?

Didn't stop Dragon Quest 11. Yeah, it was a year late, but they didn't go 'maybe'. It was one of the first games announced for the Switch and they said it was coming no matter what, even when they ran into difficulties.

They could have just as easily said 'it will come to the Switch eventually', but we got the can PR talk of 'maybe'. That isn't even getting started on why we don't even get the Kingdom Hearts collection, especially when some of those games were DS and 3DS games.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Even so, if Square Enix can't optimize KH3 for their target platform, I don't want to know how poorly optimized KH3 would be on Switch.

They can always give it to a third-party for optimization for the Switch. That's basically what Beth is doing for DOOM Eternal. They're not doing the Switch version, Panic Button is. Or to be cheeky, maybe they should give it to the DQ 11 team since they seemed to be able to handled Unreal Engine better given the improvements between DQ11 in Japan to its international released. Heck, they all buy changed engines for make the Switch port happened since the older version of Unreal Engine didn't support it.

That said, I see Kingdom Hearts 3 being on the Switch as low, but not completely impossible. It really depends if Square sees if it's worth the effort to port.

I'm not Dark Cloud but allow me to answer this. I think when he means that he can't complain about the game not coming to switch is because the game is too heavy and even on PS4 and PS4 Pro it has some serious performance issues so it's possible that the game just cannot run on switch

To a point earlier, it sounds like the performance issues for Kingdom Hearts is more poor optimization and not the game being too taxing. Like it has the same issues as Final Fantasy 15, despite them being on two different engines. So sorta points to this being a Square issue.

ACL

Nov 18, 2017
If a game is good and you haven't played it yet, I really don't see a reason why it should bother you if it's from a past console generation. The only problem is that sales wise the game won't benefit from a marketing hype-machine, but if you are looking for a good game to play, the more the merrier.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
If a game is good and you haven't played it yet, I really don't see a reason why it should bother you if it's from a past console generation. The only problem is that sales wise the game won't benefit from a marketing hype-machine, but if you are looking for a good game to play, the more the merrier.
There's a good balance of new and old games coming too.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
While I can understand this, I'm not a fan of filling the Switch of last generation games, especially when Sony and Microsoft will be moving on, making these games two generation behind and again, missing the latest entries of their respective franchises. So I honestly appreciate the downports like DOOM 2016 and the out coming DOOM Eternal over, say getting DOOM 3. The only real exceptions is stuff like GTAV and Metal Gear Solid 5 since they're crossgen games, RE5-7 since we're getting RE4 yet again, and maybe Tomb Raider, but it better have all the game and just two of them.

I agree with you, I won't buy this old stuff either. Reading the latest insights on 2019 made far less optimistic for 2019 than I was from a 3rd party point of view. More of the same ain't a good news in my book. 2019 is looking increasingly more like another indie only year as far as I'm concerned.

Oct 27, 2017
Peru
I echo this. The switch, after this year gets rolling, is gonna be a great handheld JRPG machine and fill in most of the gaps my vita/3ds combo used to fill—however, the fact people can't play current gen JRPGS on the system hurts it's status; things like FF15, NnK2, newer Tales games, Nier:A, P5 (although it might change?), KH, etc.
Nobody is hurt by not playing FFXV.

Also, I would be really surprised if the next Tales entry doesn't come to Switch.

Any of the Kingdom Hearts games, the latest Final Fantasy including the online game (no pocket edition doesn't count), Nioh, Tales of Berseria, Ni no Kuni II: Revenant Kingdom, The Elder Scrolls Online: Tamriel Unlimited, Dragon Age: Inquisition or any Dragon Age game for that matter, none of the Fallout games, and Nier Automata. And that's naming a few.

I wouldn't be surprised if a Kingdom Hearts game eventually arrives to the console.

Also, Ni No Kuni 2? No thanks.

XC2 suffers from HORRIBLE pacing problems.

Eh, no. If anything, XC2 is one of the better-paced JRPGs in recent years.

Last edited:

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Nobody is hurt by not playing FFXV.

Also, I might be really surprised if the next Tales entry doesn't come to Switch.

Don't get me wrong. I think FFXV is an awful game (I suffered through the whole thing just to see if it got better--it didn't); but to say that the switch has current gen jrpgs requires it actually have those current gen rpgs.

I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't come to switch, but I wouldn't be surprised if it did. As of now, there's no information to indicate it will so again goes to lacking current gen jrpgs.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
I agree with you, I won't buy this old stuff either. Reading the latest insights on 2019 made far less optimistic for 2019 than I was from a 3rd party point of view. More of the same ain't a good news in my book. 2019 is looking increasingly more like another indie only year as far as I'm concerned.

Well, I never said I wouldn't buy any old stuff since I have been going back and forward on Tales of Vesperia since it has been cited as one of the best Tales games, considering checking out Dragon Dogma, put in over 150 hours on Monster Hunter Generation (not really last generation, but you get my point), I have been playing the hell out of Diablo 3 lately, and DQ Builder was one of my favorite games last year (can barely wait for the second game). I just meant I prefer newer stuff (put in several hours on Warframe and DOOM 2016) or unique stuff. Or the best of all worlds where we get some last generation classic along with the new and unique.

What I don't like is the idea is that we should forget about getting current generation games and just be happy with old ports. Especially old ports that had Nintendo releases. Forget RE4, give me RE5 and 6 too if we're going to get old RE ports.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
For me is none of that and much simpler: Capcom used to do MUCH more than this on previous Nintendo systems. They made exclusive games, Resident Evil spin-offs specifically designed for Nintendo consoles, so no matter how you want to spin it, their support so far is disappointing, that's a fact for me: i'm not against ports but cool new projects are for obvious reasons always far more exciting.

We have a rough general idea on what happened: Capcom started this Switch gen with the idea of essentially ignoring the platform, after what happened with Wii U, the fact that they didn't even want to spend money on making physical editions of their remasters on Switch is quite telling.

Then they realized Switch is not a Wii U 2 but at that point they had to decide whether to rush quick but very old ports in order to release something or take their time on making new games that would have been out from 2019. My understanding is that they decided to do basically only ports and maybe other cloud ports, which aren't well received so far, even in Japan.
Makes sense. I guess the reason why I don't see things the way you do is that Capcom hasn't done this in a very long time. The most recent instance of Capcom having a notable exclusive for a Nintendo platform (that wasn't moneyhatted like MH or there due to tradition like AA) was... RE Revelations on 3DS? That's 7 years worth of barely getting any Capcom support on Nintendo platforms. If we're talking home consoles, Capcom's exclusive support aside from MH (moneyhat) ended with RE Darkside Chronicles in 2009.

To me, Capcom mostly checked out on Nintendo consoles and adopted a higher end multiplatform strategy after the early Wii days, so their current Switch output is nothing new. It just seems worse now that MH jumped ship.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I echo this. The switch, after this year gets rolling, is gonna be a great handheld JRPG machine and fill in most of the gaps my vita/3ds combo used to fill—however, the fact people can't play current gen JRPGS on the system hurts it's status; things like FF15, NnK2, newer Tales games, Nier:A, P5 (although it might change?), KH, etc.
All those tales games came out before Switch released. The one that did launch after Switch' release has come day and date. And they mentioned that going forward they want the franchise to appear on multiple platforms,so I expect them to continue releasing on Switch.

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
All those tales games came out before Switch released. The one that did launch after Switch' release has come day and date. And they mentioned that going forward they want the franchise to appear on multiple platforms,so I expect them to continue releasing on Switch.

I haven't looked too into TOV but is it a remake made in the Berseria engine or is it an HD port of the PS3 version with some bonus content. Maybe I didn't use the correct terminology but when I stated current gen I did not mean HD/upscaled ports (which is what I believed TOV:DE to be).

The Switch has a million ports--I don't really see how Berseria/Zesteria coming out before the Switch does anything to negate the fact the Switch doesn't have them?

And that's great--but until they've been at least formally announced, I don't really count those as current gen JRPGS available on the Switch.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017

I'm not sharing information anymore. That was all discussion based on logical reasoning. It was never to say a January Direct was definitely coming. It was all simply showing that January Directs were near annual occurrences and that Nintendo's Q4 lacks releases.

And, yes, the odds of a January Direct now are at 0%. Nothing is going to come this month.

Oregano

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017

Sure but you've got to consider that for a lot of people(especially on an enthusiast forum) that if people didn't play a game yet it's because they weren't all that interested.

The number of games someone has played before that they would be interested in playing again, and the number of games someone missed but would buy now are both going to be limited.

Deleted member 51691

Banned
Jan 6, 2019

The LinkedIn profile page from some EA developer mentioning work on the Switch SDK was updated to remove all mentions of the Switch. Interesting. Is EA hiding something?

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Makes sense. I guess the reason why I don't see things the way you do is that Capcom hasn't done this in a very long time. The most recent instance of Capcom having a notable exclusive for a Nintendo platform (that wasn't moneyhatted like MH or there due to tradition like AA) was... RE Revelations on 3DS? That's 7 years worth of barely getting any Capcom support on Nintendo platforms. If we're talking home consoles, Capcom's exclusive support aside from MH (moneyhat) ended with RE Darkside Chronicles in 2009.

To me, Capcom mostly checked out on Nintendo consoles and adopted a higher end multiplatform strategy after the early Wii days, so their current Switch output is nothing new. It just seems worse now that MH jumped ship.

I don't think it was ever confirmed MH was funded by Nintendo), and based on what the series used to be before Worlds it made sense to be on Nintendo consoles only since the games were designed for the Japanese audience.

Beyond that you forgot Resident Evil The Mercenaries 3D, and all the Ace Attorney games that used to be exclusive. That's dozens of new games in total.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Considered isn't the same as actually getting. Even with Kingdom Hearts 3, it makes no sense that the Switch doesn't even get that giant collection edition.

I said the same thing about FF12 and now it's coming. Maybe the KH collection will eventually come too.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017

The LinkedIn profile page from some EA developer mentioning work on the Switch SDK was updated to remove all mentions of the Switch. Interesting. Is EA hiding something?

I mean, Reggie accidentally called it last E3, the FIFA Switch team also teased it (saying the plan was to get closer and closer to the other versions), we saw this coming.

But what does this mean? cause even with Frostbite support i think EA will bring a better FIFA, maybe Madden and some of their indie games, i don't think there's more beyond that but i'd like to be proven wrong.

MarcelRguez

Nov 7, 2018

Yeah, it's the sad part of not having a portable in the market that's cheap to develop for. That and the costs of HD development makes publishers focus on the big guns, and Nintendo systems end up being left behind.

I do wish companies like Capcom expanded their efforts as far as mid-range games go. Mega Man 11 was a good example of the kind of game I'd love to see from the company in general, exclusive or not.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Nah, no Direct this week, but it still looks like they have some things to announce soon. The briefing on Wednesday is what folks might want to look out for. Anything they may announce will be on NOA's Twitter the moment it happens.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sharing information anymore. That was all discussion based on logical reasoning. It was never to say a January Direct was definitely coming. It was all simply showing that January Directs were near annual occurrences and that Nintendo's Q4 lacks releases.

And, yes, the odds of a January Direct now are at 0%. Nothing is going to come this month.
Well since it's all speculations and definitely not based on informations that you don't share anymore, can you explain why you think nothing can happen next week?

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
Well since it's all speculations and definitely not based on informations that you don't share anymore, can you explain why you think nothing can happen next week?
Focus for Nintendo next week will be on the investor briefing. The week after the briefing makes sense for a Direct because it gives them enough space between announcement and release to date things for April, while also detailing software for May & June. If they plan to hold a Direct during their Q4, it has to be February because you need at least 6 weeks between announcement/release for proper marketing of a retail release. Digital-only stuff can be shadow dropped (we saw it happen on Wii U/3DS eShop numerous times).

Status
Not open for further replies.