• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Plum

May 31, 2018
This post has me intrigued.
tenor.gif

Regarding Direct Speculation

Hecht

Blue light comes around
Administrator
Oct 24, 2017
Official Staff Communication
So we're not just filling up this thread with whether or not a Direct is happening - let's keep all the Direct-related speculation in the community thread. This thread should be for people to talk about actual substantive topics regarding Nintendo first-party output. If and when a Direct is announced, a thread can be made to discuss it.

https://www.resetera.com/threads/nintendo-community-thread-ot.90305/

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Nah I think this MP4 stuff was relatively recent. They probably didn't make this decision until October at the earliest. It would explain why people thought the Game Awards (or December in general) would have Metroid stuff, if they planned to show this there up until only a couple months in advance.

This explains all of that stuff too well for me to think the MP4 decision was made much earlier in 2018.

The decision may have been recent (though October is 3 months ago already). But I doubt that Nintendo discovered the development issues in October only. If so, that would be a case of extremely poor management. My guess is that they've probably been trying everything to salvage the game before deciding to reboot it, and that must have taken months at the very least.

NateDrake

Oct 24, 2017
I think the Darksiders announcement could be part of the incoming Direct with a shadow-drop of the title on the eShop. We are near to the Direct, guys, I'm confident (and honestly I'm happy it isn't this Thursday/Friday in the night, I would have skipped it). Just 1-2 weeks more.
It is way too minor of an announcement to bother placing in a Direct. Nintendo has much bigger things to address and show in a Direct to waste time on Darksiders -- even though the game is great.

Deleted member 2791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
So we're not just filling up this thread with whether or not a Direct is happening - let's keep all the Direct-related speculation in the community thread. This thread should be for people to talk about actual substantive topics regarding Nintendo first-party output. If and when a Direct is announced, a thread can be made to discuss it.

Okay but nobody goes to hangouts

ghostship

User requested ban
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The decision may have been recent (though October is 3 months ago already). But I doubt that Nintendo discovered the development issues in October only. If so, that would be a case of extremely poor management. My guess is that they've probably been trying everything to salvage the game before deciding to reboot it, and that must have taken months at the very least.

Building on this, I have a pet theory that the plan was to power through the development problems up until the point that Retro essentially said "bring me on, skip" with that rumoured demo, and that's what tipped the decision to a reboot.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
The demo Retro showed Nintendo was Metroid Prime 1. Retro showed them and Nintendo realized what greatness looked like again. Lol

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Building on this, I have a pet theory that the plan was to power through the development problems up until the point that Retro essentially said "bring me on, skip" with that rumoured demo, and that's what tipped the decision to a reboot.

It could be. Point is, I seriously hope for Nintendo that they didn't discover just a few weeks ago that one of their tent pole game was having severe development issues. Similarly, I also hope for them that they didn't take a reckless decision by scrapping a project and rebooting it without trying to salvage it first. So all in all, it must have been at least months from the moment they first knew about these issues and I doubt that they planned any reveal of the game at the TGA. The reveal being teased must have been based on really old information.

Deleted member 36622

Banned
Dec 21, 2017
Doest Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3 fit for a Game Awards audience? I feel like that's an easy decision to show that there. We're talking about a Marvel game and it's exclusive to Switch. That a big deal you want the gaming community to see.

Yeah, Geoff Keighley said at E3 that he was playing a game that it would have been one of the Game Awards announcements, i wonder if that game was Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3.

I think this was planned in advance, especially considering the trailer showed only gameplay footage.

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017

Keep in mind in that same thread Schreier said he hadn't heard about the trilogy directly, and isn't sure about the timing either. So that rumor should be taken with a grain of salt, that it's either done or being sat on.

Not announcing Retro's next game soon would be a missed opportunity in my opinion. While everyone was legitimately bummed by MP4's reboot, one of the few good thing is that it probably reassured the doubter of the studio (among which I was, and still am to some extent). Showing a soon to release game, hopefully impressive, would really be nice in terms of timing.

On a different note, it kinda sucks that the Bamco thing didn't work out. If it did, Retro would be working on a different game than MP4, possibly a new IP. All in all, we still "lost" a game in all that.

Retro's games have always been announced at E3, right? I don't see why it should be any different this time, even with the prime news.

Nintendo has enough slated for this year that if they tease Pokemon and Animal Crossing as H2 games in April/May directs, they could coast on that until E3, and then just announce the rest of the big names...Retro, Platinum, 2d zelda, etc...

Also, I think it would actually be pretty cool if they could manage to salvage Bamco prime 4 and convert it into a new IP/shooter. I don't think it would hurt to add a mediocre shooter to the switch's lineup, it's sunk cost right now.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Keep in mind in that same thread Schreier said he hadn't heard about the trilogy directly, and isn't sure about the timing either. So that rumor should be taken with a grain of salt, that it's either done or being sat on.

Retro's games have always been announced at E3, right? I don't see why it should be any different this time, even with the prime news.

Nintendo has enough slated for this year that if they tease Pokemon and Animal Crossing as H2 games in April/May directs, they could coast on that until E3, and then just announce the rest of the big names...Retro, Platinum, 2d zelda, etc...

Also, I think it would actually be pretty cool if they could manage to salvage Bamco prime 4 and convert it into a new IP/shooter. I don't think it would hurt to add a mediocre shooter to the switch's lineup, it's sunk cost right now.
I think Retro's game could still be announced prior to E3. Things change and it feels like a good time to do it before E3, especially depending on its release date.

Vylder

Oct 25, 2017
Other than Tropical Freeze, all Retro games were announced during E3 because Directs were not a thing back then, so they didn't have much choice lol.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

All rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. He was asking for the source of the rumor, so I gave it to him.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
All Retro games are announced at E3

Except for Metroid Prime 4 which was announced in some random Youtube video

Plankton2

Dec 12, 2017
Everytime I read something like "Nintendo has always [insert pattern]", things happen differently. I would at the very least not be surprised in Retro's game is shown before E3.

lol sure. A lot has changed in the Direct era over the last 4-5 years, you could be right.

But honestly, I think it's a prestige thing for them so I feel they'll keep that tradition.

All rumors should be taken with a grain of salt. He was asking for the source of the rumor, so I gave it to him.

Just adding some extra info

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
They would have had to make the decision of whether or not to include gameplay by the end of November, which would have given them about a month of development after the game went gold, so yeah Joker would probably have been too early. Still, an extra 2ish months is probably enough time to develop it far enough to show.

This assumes that they didn't do any work on the DLC until the game went gold, instead of the far more likely idea that they started moving the teams over once the game was content complete but before QA was finished.

From what I remember, they didn't start on Joker before Smash launched.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
The only thing people go to the Hangout for is to talk about anything except gaming. Mostly anime.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017

Thank the ERA gods!

I suggested in the last Nintendo 1st Party thread we have a General Direct thread that locks and unlocks once the hype cycle starts so everything can be contained in a singular place.

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
Thank the ERA gods!

I suggested in the last Nintendo 1st Party thread we have a General Direct thread that locks and unlocks once the hype cycle starts so everything can be contained in a singular place.

That's the thing though... There's always HYPE happening for Directs.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
The lowest building has like 4-5 floors, which lines up with the front desk of the lobby having 5 floors worth of mail slots.

But yeah I guess you could call the whole thing a hotel? I just think each mansion/section will have completely different themes. Hotel theme, castle theme, office theme, diner theme, finale.
The mailboxes might just as well indicate just the rooms and not the lowest section of the building. It's an interesting theory but I'd go for the Hotel for now.

So. As we've now reached this point.
How about that Town? Do you think there's going to be some sort of mechanism for all the buildings (like city builder or something) or is it more traditional JRPG?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
It's really crazy that we don't know what 7/10 EPD teams are currently working on. And just 3 of them released games last year.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Thoughts on some smaller series:

Style Savvy: Probably next year after Animal Crossing. Would put it about 3 years after the last title.
Fossil Fighters: Dead. 3DS tanked, even compared to first games.
BoxBoy: Seemingly done. 3 games is a pretty good run for a series like this.
Nintendogs: Can't imagine they would.
Steel Diver: Probably dead; Vitei was complaining Nintendo didn't want smaller titles iirc and their site makes it seem like they're focused on VR games now.
Brain Age: Dead? Dead.
Tomodachi Life/Miitopia: Tricky, but probably will come back in some form 2020 or later.
Band Brothers: Dead
Fatal Frame: Don't see why it wouldn't continue, but also not super hopeful for an announcement any time soon.
Art Academy: Dead (I think the dev disbanded too?)
Chibi Robo: Dev doesn't seem healthy, doubt they can handle even an eShop game and it's not like Zip Lash was a sales monster.
Dillion: I would say dead, but I feel like they'll give it one more shot for some reason.
NES Remix: Can't see it continuing with NSO games.
Mini DK Vs Mario: If NST is busy working on ports (Toad, SMM3D) I can't imagine they'll keep this mediocre series going too.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Thoughts on some smaller series:

Style Savvy: Probably next year after Animal Crossing. Would put it about 3 years after the last title.
Fossil Fighters: Dead. 3DS tanked, even compared to first games.
BoxBoy: Seemingly done. 3 games is a pretty good run for a series like this.
Nintendogs: Can't imagine they would.
Steel Diver: Probably dead; Vitei was complaining Nintendo didn't want smaller titles iirc and their site makes it seem like they're focused on VR games now.
Brain Age: Dead? Dead.
Tomodachi Life/Miitopia: Tricky, but probably will come back in some form 2020 or later.
Band Brothers: Dead
Fatal Frame: Don't see why it wouldn't continue, but also not super hopeful for an announcement any time soon.
Art Academy: Dead (I think the dev disbanded too?)
Chibi Robo: Dev doesn't seem healthy, doubt they can handle even an eShop game and it's not like Zip Lash was a sales monster.
Dillion: I would say dead, but I feel like they'll give it one more shot for some reason.
NES Remix: Can't see it continuing with NSO games.
Mini DK Vs Mario: If NST is busy working on ports (Toad, SMM3D) I can't imagine they'll keep this mediocre series going too.

Style Savvy: Probably not in the makes right now.
Fossil Fighters: Agree, Dead
BoxBoy: Trilogy done. They've moved on. Port possible.
Nintendogs: Has to be coming at some point.
Steel Diver: Dead as a doornail.
Brain Age: Not dead. Absolutely will resurface on Switch. Massive series.
Tomodachi Life: Agree completely.
Fatal Frame: Probably gonna continue in some form. Port maybe first?
Art Academy: Dead
Chibi Robo: Going into limbo or dies.
Dillon: HOW DARE YOU SAY DEAD! DILLON IS THE BOMB! Dillon will get BOTW Treatment and be GOTY, releasing 2020.
NES Remix: Agree, although I would love for them to do another one.
Mini DK: Coming in some form almost certainly.

And I'll add Cooking Mama: Absolutely coming.

Deleted member 18161

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
all I need is 3d world, but I keep thinking about the placement of 2D Mario and the obvious odyssey sequel.

I'd argue 3D World was a bit of a failure commercially, considering it failed to help WiiU in any meaningful way during it's Holiday season while Odyssey looks to be on track to be the biggest selling 3D Mario game ever.

I actually prefer 3D World over Odyssey personally as it's more about platforming. A 3D World without the time limit and much larger levels would be the perfect 3D Mario game imo.

Deleted member 41183

Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Brain Age: Not dead. Absolutely will resurface on Switch. Massive series.

It was 1 years ago, not so sure any more. Maybe they can make it a bonus for NSO subscribers or something.
Dillon: HOW DARE YOU SAY DEAD! DILLON IS THE BOMB! Dillon will get BOTW Treatment and be GOTY, releasing 2020.

I love the character design in Dillion and the gameplay of the first 2, but I'm not naive. ;)

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
What's going on at EPD? It makes Nintendo look like they got so few games with EPD. There's so many teams there. Where are the games at from them??

I feel like Nintendo is trying harder these days to focus on quality over quantity. We heard it from Koizumi, that they saw the reception to BotW and felt challenged to make Odyssey that well-received. We heard similar rumors about Game Freak wanting to up their game for Pokemon.

I wonder if it's a company wide initiative. They realized the potential of putting more ambition and risks into their titles so they're using more employees to make each game bigger and better, while as a side effect reducing their general level of output.

Maybe that's why Yoshi was delayed. It could've been okay 5 years ago but post-BotW they needed to up their game. Same with FE, maybe same with Metroid Prime 4.

Status
Not open for further replies.