• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I dunno if people should get psyched about more games being announced for this year. They already have a quite a bit for 2019, those games just seem to be concentrated in the middle/latter half of 2019. If Nintendo is concerned about filling out their lineup throughout the year on a regular basis they're gonna hold some stuff for the first half of 2020. I think what's announced for 2019 so far we get in 2019, but anything like a 2d Zelda or Star Fox GP is next year. Maybe a wii u port or two weeds their way into 2019 though.

None of the 2019 games (besides Pokemon) have late/H2 2019 as release dates. We don't know when most will release. But it's likely a good chunk of them (FE, MUA3, AC) will be in the first half.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I dunno if people should get psyched about more games being announced for this year. They already have a quite a bit for 2019, those games just seem to be concentrated in the middle/latter half of 2019. If Nintendo is concerned about filling out their lineup throughout the year on a regular basis they're gonna hold some stuff for the first half of 2020. I think what's announced for 2019 so far we get in 2019, but anything like a 2d Zelda or Star Fox GP is next year. Maybe a wii u port or two weeds their way into 2019 though.

Normally, I'd share your view on this. However, with 2020 potentially already containing a 3D Zelda and 3D Mario... I'm not so sure anymore. Certainly MP4 dropping out of 2019/2020 could mean a re-jig of some titles, but I still don't see them delaying the release of a Retro game, and 2D Zelda can't go in the same year as a 3D Zelda... I think we're just looking at 2 enormous years of software and it's the fruits finally coming from handheld and console devs combining their output.

Xavi

Oct 27, 2017
Lightning for Smash
One thing I am happy about the financial results.

They finally got rid of that overrated bloated mess Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the top sellers list. Thank you Mario Party and Smash for making it.

Now how about you announce Pikmin. It'll go in the 10 million club with it's peers. And Dillon would be nice too. And Town of course as we are speaking of notable first party releases.
Imagine being this mad at a video game.

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
I haven't heard about MetalDave since the days of NX, wasn't he completely wrong about the Switch? Is he still going on trying to pass himself off as an insider?

He tried again last year where he led to believe everyone that Sony is going to announce a new handheld/Switch like device at Tokyo Game Show.
Nowadays he seems to speculate about the Switch Pro. Haven't watched him in a while though.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I wonder if going for a 17M revised goal for this FY (which seems low) is them admitting that they're "giving up" on Q1 and all their focus is on the next FY.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I wonder if going for a 17M revised goal for this FY (which seems low) is them admitting that they're "giving up" on Q1 and all their focus is on the next FY.

I don't think its "giving up" per se, as they are clearly very happy with the software sales. I think it's more them knowing their market, and hardware generally doesn't shift many units in January-March. I mean, January alone is a month where people really stick to a budget.

It seems to me, they're happy to bank 2018, and now they're doubling down on 2019. They've even placed Yoshi in a spot where the game will contribute in both FY's!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017

Even if they "give up" they'll be surpassing 17M. It is pretty weird though, considering they've already met their net profit goal for the FY yet they didn't revise that upwards.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
Incidentally, with MP4 out the window and this revelation of unannounced delayed 2018 titles, I'm also feeling quite confident Bayonetta 3 will be a 2020 title now. I'd love for it to come sooner, but that's exactly the kind of title to get moved in a re-jig. It's big enough on its own and it doesn't tread on any other franchise toes.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017

Yes I belive so, they'll want to concentrate their games in the next fiscal year in order to have a steady strem of games. Yoshi was even put at the very last Friday of March.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
Furukawa talked about momentum from April-September. His focus is the first half of the fiscal year. 2D Zelda needs to be holidays. Starfox GP should be this year for momentum.
They already have the software announced to have momentum for April-September, they don't need a 2D Zelda or Starfox this year for that. They can keep those games for the first half of 2020 to keep the momentum going.

None of the 2019 games (besides Pokemon) have late/H2 2019 as release dates. We don't know when most will release. But it's likely a good chunk of them (FE, MUA3, AC) will be in the first half.
I think FE and AC have a chance of being in the first half, but I kinda think Nintendo treats MUA3 like Smash this year. Maybe not give it a December date, but it and Pokemon are gonna be their heavy games this holiday.

Normally, I'd share your view on this. However, with 2020 potentially already containing a 3D Zelda and 3D Mario... I'm not so sure anymore. Certainly MP4 dropping out of 2019/2020 could mean a re-jig of some titles, but I still don't see them delaying the release of a Retro game, and 2D Zelda can't go in the same year as a 3D Zelda... I think we're just looking at 2 enormous years of software and it's the fruits finally coming from handheld and console devs combining their output.
Eh, I think it's more likely a 2D Zelda comes out in 2020 than a 3D one being even remotely ready for 2020. Unless it's a remake/remaster. I think they can drop both games in the same year in that instance.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
A few Fire Emblem 3 Houses Thoughts:

Sales: I see a few people overestimating Fire Emblem here. Don't get me wrong, it is probably my favorite franchise, but people predicting upwards of 5M sales are very optimistic. 3-4 Million would be outstanding & blow away any other FE game previously released. I understand there will be a Switch bump & FE heroes on mobile will bring in some new people, but Turn Based Strategy JRPG is still relatively niche.

Delays: As for the people concerned about FE 3 Houses being delayed again, I highly doubt that. The trailer was actually pretty full of content that teased story whil also showig off actual gameplay. They probably felt it was far enough along to show off like that. Combined with Nintendo confirming to investors that it is still currently slated for Spring, I have faith.

Story: I'm really liking the initial story they're teasing. It seems like they're trying to bring back some religious overtones to the story, which was a big part of what made the Tellius games story so intriguing. My guess is the 3 Lord Characters are nobles from allied nations kind of like FE7 had Eliwood from Pherae, Hector from Ostia, & Lyn from Sacae all as part of the Lycian League. Then Byleth (a lot of people are referring to him as an Avatar character, but we haven't been any reason to believe that yet) I am guessing is an instructor at a Military Academy of sorts, based on how Edelgard refers to him as teacher consistently throughout the trailer, and asks him what she should practice for their "Mock Battle" as well.

Other Notes / Gameplay Mechanics: I like the look of the formations, & I'm curious if they will also follow a Rock-Paper-Scissors style mechanic like the weapon triangle. Speaking of the weapon triangle, I am ready for them to bring back Light, Dark, & Anima magic & the Magic Triangle along with it. I need to cast Flux & Luna again! Finally, I am personally hoping that they don't go too crazy with the child mechanic in this one because I feel like it tends to bloat the roster a bit, but I understand it's popular to some people. I'd just rather it not be shoehorned in like they were in Fates.

Final Thoughts: Hype levels are thru the roof, & yeah, I can't wait for Nintendo to drop a direct so that I can get more info or a confirmed release date. At this point I'm thinking it will be a May release, as there are a ton of 3rd party games to compete with in April as well as the Fire Emblem expo. Really we just need the Direct because the Fire Emblem fanbase is crazy & will freak out by assuming delays / multiple SKUS / avatar characters / children, etc until they're confirmed or deconfirmed. Here's to hoping it ends up being one of the best in the franchise.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
They already have the software announced to have momentum for April-September, they don't need a 2D Zelda or Starfox this year for that. They can keep those games for the first half of 2020 to keep the momentum going.

I think FE and AC have a chance of being in the first half, but I kinda think Nintendo treats MUA3 like Smash this year. Maybe not give it a December date, but it and Pokemon are gonna be their heavy games this holiday.

Eh, I think it's more likely a 2D Zelda comes out in 2020 than a 3D one being even remotely ready for 2020. Unless it's a remake/remaster. I think they can drop both games in the same year in that instance.

I think you make a perfectly valid point regarding the amount of software that's already announced being a strong lineup, but there is no way Nintendo is going to sit on a finished Retro game or a finished 2D Zelda game for the best part of a year. So, if they exist, and if they were delayed and are now nearing ready, I think we'll see them sooner rather than later.

FE is Spring 2019, so unless it's delayed again then you're right! Animal Crossing has always felt like a title that could come anytime.... it's been in development, presumably, a pretty long time and the nature of the game makes it a good title for pretty much any quarter.

There have been rumours of 2D Zelda 2019 and 3D Zelda 2020 circulating. The general consensus is that BotW finished in 2016, so a 4 year development cycle on a sequel feels like a decent chunk of time.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Of all the petty, silly shit to...

You understand that doesn't mean the game sold any less, right?
I do. Over million sold games is great and nothing to be sneered at. Just happy that it got bumped out of the Top-10 because it's a horrible game.

Imagine being this mad at a video game.
Hadn't been this mad at video game since XcX late game.

Xenoblade Chronicles 2 is a great game.
Nah. Mediocre game that is vastly overrated. It has great battle system and beautiful scenery here and there but it's janky, horribly paced, has the worst sidequests and crafting that I've seen in a long time and generally is just not worth the hype or the length of the game.

It better not be "pay more for SNES games"! Because I'll pay it... but I tell you now, it'll be very, very, begrudgingly!
Hah. My thoughts exactly. I'll even tweet about it angrily.

Aniki

Oct 25, 2017
I would pay more if they included a few more systems to make it worth it. Personally i would hope they go all out and give us every system up to the Wii. I would pay good money for it.

Deleted member 50366

Banned
Dec 4, 2018
One thing I am happy about the financial results.

They finally got rid of that overrated bloated mess Xenoblade Chronicles 2 on the top sellers list. Thank you Mario Party and Smash for making it.

Now how about you announce Pikmin. It'll go in the 10 million club with it's peers. And Dillon would be nice too. And Town of course as we are speaking of notable first party releases.
Just finished it like 15 min ago and I just wanna kill you, it's a fucking MASTERPIECE. I cannot wait for the next 2 monolith games.

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Are there any confirmed games (besides rumored games) for 2020? I can't think of any off the top of my head.

Fanuilos

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
I think you make a perfectly valid point regarding the amount of software that's already announced being a strong lineup, but there is no way Nintendo is going to sit on a finished Retro game or a finished 2D Zelda game for the best part of a year. So, if they exist, and if they were delayed and are now nearing ready, I think we'll see them sooner rather than later.

FE is Spring 2019, so unless it's delayed again then you're right! Animal Crossing has always felt like a title that could come anytime.... it's been in development, presumably, a pretty long time and the nature of the game makes it a good title for pretty much any quarter.

There have been rumours of 2D Zelda 2019 and 3D Zelda 2020 circulating. The general consensus is that BotW finished in 2016, so a 4 year development cycle on a sequel feels like a decent chunk of time.
Fair enough, we'll see what they do. I'm kinda of two minds on the 3D Zelda. If they announce it and it's using BotW assets then I agree with you completely. It's likely a 2020 title. On the other hand I think BotW has given them license to go crazy, take their time and come up with the next evolution of the series and not "just" a bigger and better BotW. Either way I'm excited.

Disclaimer

Oct 25, 2017
A few Fire Emblem 3 Houses Thoughts:

Sales: I see a few people overestimating Fire Emblem here. Don't get me wrong, it is probably my favorite franchise, but people predicting upwards of 5M sales are very optimistic. 3-4 Million would be outstanding & blow away any other FE game previously released. I understand there will be a Switch bump & FE heroes on mobile will bring in some new people, but Turn Based Strategy JRPG is still relatively niche.

Delays: As for the people concerned about FE 3 Houses being delayed again, I highly doubt that. The trailer was actually pretty full of content that teased story whil also showig off actual gameplay. They probably felt it was far enough along to show off like that. Combined with Nintendo confirming to investors that it is still currently slated for Spring, I have faith.

Story: I'm really liking the initial story they're teasing. It seems like they're trying to bring back some religious overtones to the story, which was a big part of what made the Tellius games story so intriguing. My guess is the 3 Lord Characters are nobles from allied nations kind of like FE7 had Eliwood from Pherae, Hector from Ostia, & Lyn from Sacae all as part of the Lycian League. Then Byleth (a lot of people are referring to him as an Avatar character, but we haven't been any reason to believe that yet) I am guessing is an instructor at a Military Academy of sorts, based on how Edelgard refers to him as teacher consistently throughout the trailer, and asks him what she should practice for their "Mock Battle" as well.

Other Notes / Gameplay Mechanics: I like the look of the formations, & I'm curious if they will also follow a Rock-Paper-Scissors style mechanic like the weapon triangle. Speaking of the weapon triangle, I am ready for them to bring back Light, Dark, & Anima magic & the Magic Triangle along with it. I need to cast Flux & Luna again! Finally, I am personally hoping that they don't go too crazy with the child mechanic in this one because I feel like it tends to bloat the roster a bit, but I understand it's popular to some people. I'd just rather it not be shoehorned in like they were in Fates.

Final Thoughts: Hype levels are thru the roof, & yeah, I can't wait for Nintendo to drop a direct so that I can get more info or a confirmed release date. At this point I'm thinking it will be a May release, as there are a ton of 3rd party games to compete with in April as well as the Fire Emblem expo. Really we just need the Direct because the Fire Emblem fanbase is crazy & will freak out by assuming delays / multiple SKUS / avatar characters / children, etc until they're confirmed or deconfirmed. Here's to hoping it ends up being one of the best in the franchise.

Agreed on pretty much all accounts! Thinking we'll see a May release either right before or after FE expo, though June isn't out of the question.

With regard to the story, I think the three lords' nations are allied to begin with, but it will be interesting to see if they stay that way, or perhaps if the story branches out as alliances shift. The military academy will probably be a tutorial with mock battles (notice how all the enemy units in the trailer have portraits and names).

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I think they'll take a break from the child mechanic. They did an interview for Echoes where they talked about how they didn't want people to think mechanics appearing in consecutive titles meant they were permanent fixtures. To quote:

Q: Mr. Kusakihara, it was proposed to have "kissy faces" at the time of Awakeningand Fates' development, which was said to be a "series breaker" by some

Kusakihara: That's right.

Q: But was Gaiden different due to being a faithful remake?

Kusakihara: No, actually, if anything, Echoes is the one "breaking" the series now, isn't it? After all everyone looks at the previous two games as their basis for FE now, saying "This is FE." Echoes is the one breaking the series.

Kusakihara: We don't want the series to remain fixed in order to make it easier to move forward into the future. Gaiden was chosen because now was the perfect time we would be able to do it –no sooner, no later.

Q: There were no pairing or marriage mechanics proposed this time around?

Kusakihara: Regarding marriage, well if it became common it'd become boring. We thought it would be good for people to experience a marriage-less FE too.

Nakanishi: From the perspective of those who started with Awakening, this is a mechanic that is being "removed," yes, but for others it simply is a mechanic that was featured in two consecutive games. Considering Gaiden is a story about Alm and Celica anyway, forcing in a marriage mechanic would be awfully troublesome. In some cases, it may even prevent Valentia's unification.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Just finished it like 15 min ago and I just wanna kill you, it's a fucking MASTERPIECE. I cannot wait for the next 2 monolith games.
You may wanna kill me, but unfortunately you have the wrong blades for the job and I even if you manage to actually do it I will simply go to a cutscene where you lose the battle anyway or I run away.

So yeah.

Hopefully that new IP is something better than last two games from them. They are a capable studio.

Deleted member 49438

Banned
Nov 7, 2018
Agreed on pretty much all accounts! Thinking we'll see a May release either right before or after FE expo, though June isn't out of the question.

With regard to the story, I think the three lords' nations are allied to begin with, but it will be interesting to see if they stay that way, or perhaps if the story branches out as alliances shift. The military academy will probably be a tutorial with mock battles (notice how all the enemy units in the trailer have portraits and names).

It might be wishful thinking on my part, but I think they'll take a break from the child mechanic. They did an interview for Echoes where they talked about how they didn't want people to think mechanics appearing in consecutive titles meant they were permanent fixtures. To quote:

Yeah, I agree the Military Academy works as a good tutorial area. Could kind of be like the Greil Mercernaries HQ in Path of Radiance where the first couple of chapters take place there until there is a significant plot event that forces them to leave. That said, it could just as easily work as the "My Castle" hub like Fates, but that's not as interesting imo.

That interview is very encouraging. I hope they continue to write support interactions between all of the characters, as that was a nice change from the past entries where lots of units had no supports for each other, but I don't think there's a need for every character to be able to romance one another. I liked that in some of the older games that only certain character pairings would result in a special ending.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018

nacion_rex_2018_pikachu_asustado_meme_2.jpg_423682103.jpg

Deleted member 33

Account closed at user request
Banned
Oct 24, 2017

Based on what I've heard, there are at least five 2019 Nintendo-published Switch games that haven't been announced yet. Five at the bare minimum. Which means there could potentially be more than five. At least one of those games is a Wii U port.

That's on top of what we already know for 2019: Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Crafted World, New Super Mario Bros U DX, Daemon x Machina, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. (Assuming none of those 2019 games get delayed to 2020).

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Based on what I've heard, there are at least five 2019 Nintendo-published Switch games that haven't been announced yet. Five at the bare minimum. Which means there could potentially be more than five. At least one of those games is a Wii U port.

That's on top of what we already know for 2019: Animal Crossing, Pokemon, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Yoshi's Crafted World, New Super Mario Bros U DX, Daemon x Machina, Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3. (Assuming none of those 2019 games get delayed to 2020).

That's at least five more tweets then :D

Five sounds awesome. One of them MUST be Pikmin :P
(Dillondillondillondillondillondillondillondildondillondillondillon)

Status
Not open for further replies.