• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
Would you guys see possible Animal Crossing in an open world? Would you like it? I kind of imagine it with many cities, island and villages with different fruits, vegetables (NEW), furniture...

Any new features would be huge for me. I hate how conservative the devs are for Animal Crossing. None of the sequels after the first game felt like a proper "sequel", they were all nothing but small expansion pack.

Open world would be an amazing addition, I doubt they'd implement such feature. The village had always been the same size until New Leaf and for New Leaf they enlarged it just by a tiny bit. My dream AC game had gigantic world where we use bicycles and small cars to navigate if we want to.

Also, why still can't we visit strangers? I DON'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS WHO PLAYS AC, NINTENDO! That tapir thing won't work, we want to visit villages of total strangers properly.

Kass15

Jan 14, 2018
Any new features would be huge for me. I hate how conservative the devs are for Animal Crossing. None of the sequels after the first game felt like a proper "sequel", they were all nothing but small expansion pack.

Open world would be an amazing addition, I doubt they'd implement such feature. The village had always been the same size until New Leaf and for New Leaf they enlarged it just by a tiny bit. My dream AC game had gigantic world where we use bicycles and small cars to navigate if we want to.

Also, why still can't we visit strangers? I DON'T HAVE ANY FRIENDS WHO PLAYS AC, NINTENDO! That tapir thing won't work, we want to visit villages of total strangers properly.

Preach! Feel the same way.

Slam Tilt

Jan 16, 2018
I think overwatch is coming this year anyway
Maybe it's my bias, but I wonder how relevant Overwatch is these days. Feels like Fortnite has overshadowed it by now, and arriving late to the Switch can't help.
Nintendogs: I think it's dead but simply because it went for a more casual audience, they could make a new one after they release Switch Lite or even make a Mobile game, but I think it's unlikely.
I've mentioned it elsewhere before, but Nintendo could partner with Imagineer again and publish their Little Friends (Nintendogs clone) in the west. They've already released a Switch bundle in Japan so it's not as if Nintendo doesn't recognize the sales potential already.
I'm definitely not ready to play Wind Waker again this soon
Me too. I'd rather see a Twilight Princess port instead.
I just realized that Excite Truck's point rating system is pretty much perfect for Star Fox Racing
Enlightenment is realizing that Excite Truck is perfect for everything and everyone.

Last edited:

New Donker

One Winged Slayer
Oct 26, 2017
Indeed. Five is the floor (minimum) -- not the ceiling. The ceiling could be as high as 11 or 12.

It's difficult to give an exact number because any game can be pushed back to 2020 for marketing/scheduling reasons.

Let me try to explain this better.

The "Most likely" game announcements for 2019. (70% chance or higher)

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. eShop game #1 (formerly Mystery game #5)
6. Mystery Wii U port #1 (2013 title)
7. eShop game #2
8. New Labo Kit

The "Maybe" games for 2019. (The wild card titles - 50% chance or less)

9. Retro Studios secret game (this is assuming it wasn't canned)
10. Metroid Prime Trilogy (assuming Zell's info and Imran's info are correct)
11. Mystery Wii U port #2

This is exciting.

Also interesting how you think retros secret game is under those 8 other games...I figured Star Fox racing would be one of the 4 mystery games!

I'm still going to keep saying it....

SNES remix out of nowhere. Believe!!

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Their software sales were fantastic in this fiscal year but it's clear that the games weren't as effective in expanding the user base as they had hoped. So the solution is "simple": More games with wider appeal and more affordable hardware.
I guess it's a pricing issue because I don't think they can get more accessible than this FY:

Mario Party
Donkey Kong
Mario Tennis
Kirby
2 Pokemon games
Smash Bros.
New Super Mario Bros.
Yoshi

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Maybe it's my bias, but I wonder how relevant Overwatch is these days. Feels like Fortnite has overshadowed it by now, and arriving late to the Switch can't help.

Nothing on PC/consoles really touches Fortnite, except for maybe League of Legends. Overwatch is still in the top 10 most played games on XONE and top 10 most watched on Twitch. I am sure it's pretty high on PS4 as well.

milkyway

One Winged Slayer
May 17, 2018
Indeed. Five is the floor (minimum) -- not the ceiling. The ceiling could be as high as 11 or 12.

It's difficult to give an exact number because any game can be pushed back to 2020 for marketing/scheduling reasons.

Let me try to explain this better.

The "Most likely" game announcements for 2019. (70% chance or higher)

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. eShop game #1 (formerly Mystery game #5)
6. Mystery Wii U port #1 (2013 title)
7. eShop game #2
8. New Labo Kit

The "Maybe" games for 2019. (The wild card titles - 50% chance or less)

9. Retro Studios secret game (this is assuming it wasn't canned)
10. Metroid Prime Trilogy (assuming Zell's info and Imran's info are correct)
11. Mystery Wii U port #2
Definitely curious to see so many potential unannounced games on top of the many that already have been (albeit many with almost no details but still). I guess 2D Zelda and new Platinum IP will be 2 of the 4 games and the Wii U port ought to be Pikmin 3 or Windwaker (I can't see 3D World happening the same year as NSMBU). eShop titles beats me. So many mysteries surrounding 2019, hope this week will be THE week!

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
More games is the right answer. They bet it all on Smash and Let's Go last year. And while they sold well, it left their fall pretty barren. If all the insider rumors in here are right, 2019 should be a huge improvement... although this first quarter is also pretty dry.
Nintendo are not looking at Jan-March 2019 though, 20 million units is a battle they know they can no longer win this FY - when they say more games they are looking at the fiscal year starting April 2019.

BradenAndEggs

Jan 8, 2018

I agree about adding new features to Animal Crossing but I also don't want them to remove the "cozy" hometown feel of the previous titles. To me Animal Crossing is essentially the comfy starting village from every RPG only you never have to leave if don't want to. I just want them to retain the "feel" of what Animal Crossing is and not add features just for the sake of adding new stuff.

Deleted member 7217

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Definitely curious to see so many potential unannounced games on top of the many that already have been (albeit many with almost no details but still). I guess 2D Zelda and new Platinum IP will be 2 of the 4 games and the Wii U port ought to be Pikmin 3 or Windwaker (I can't see 3D World happening the same year as NSMBU). eShop titles beats me. So many mysteries surrounding 2019, hope this week will be THE week!

It could very well be. BY2K mentioned on Twitter a while back that apparently, Nindie Spotlights are followed up with Nintendo Directs shortly after (one or two weeks later, I think).

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I guess it's a pricing issue because I don't think they can get more accessible than this FY:

Mario Party
Donkey Kong
Mario Tennis
Kirby
2 Pokemon games
Smash Bros.
New Super Mario Bros.
Yoshi

I don't think the problem was necessarily accessibility but more that there's a lot of genre overlap and many games that have a similar feel. If you look at the 20 best selling games in the US of last year, you can clearly see which games the Switch is "missing".

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  2. Call of Duty: Black Ops 4
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Madden NFL 19
  5. Super Smash Bros. Ultimate*
  6. Marvel's Spider-Man
  7. Far Cry 5
  8. God of War 2018
  9. Monster Hunter: World
  10. Assassin's Creed: Odyssey
  11. Grand Theft Auto V
  12. Mario Kart 8*
  13. FIFA 19**
  14. Battlefield V**
  15. Super Mario Odyssey*
  16. Call of Duty: WWII**
  17. Dragon Ball: FighterZ
  18. The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild*
  19. Super Mario Party*
  20. Pokemon: Lets Go Pikachu*
This year they will hopefully have more variety like in 2017 while also expanding beyond the traditional gamer audience with Animal Crossing and Pokémon.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I don't think the problem was necessarily accessibility but more that there's a lot of genre overlap and many games that have a similar feel. If you look at the 20 best selling games in the US of last year, you can clearly see which games the Switch is "missing".

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Madden NFL 19
  6. Marvel's Spider-Man
  7. Far Cry 5
  8. God of War 2018
  11. Grand Theft Auto V
  12. Mario Kart 8*
  13. FIFA 19**
  14. Battlefield V**
  15. Super Mario Odyssey*
  19. Super Mario Party*
This year they will hopefully have more variety like in 2017 while also expanding beyond the traditional gamer audience with Animal Crossing and Pokémon.
Agree, Switch needs more variety. By the way, Pokemon CEO said the game was being developed with "longtime fans" in my mind, not serving as an entry point to the series. I'm not saying Pokemon will suddenly be a +18 game, but I don't think we will see the same approach they had with Let's Go in terms of marketing and who to reach. Animal Crossing is probably the big game with which they will try to appeal non traditional players.

Piston

Oct 25, 2017
I think some people are overlooking all the smaller franchises that could fall under the unannounced titles that Emily mentioned.

I really wouldn't be surprised if one is Tomodachi, that series is a huge seller and under the radar. The 3DS entry cleared 6.4 million and it would make sense alongside a smaller Switch revision. The only argument against it would be Animal Crossing covers very similar territory.

I also expect some sort of Pokemon spinoff. Mystery Dungeon would make sense, but it could be the Ranger series or even Snap?

Mario vs. Donkey Kong seems like a potential eShop fit. BoxBoy, Dillon, and Pushmo/Crashmo all seem possible too. My big theory would be Switch Sports as a digital game, or a digital pack-in. This could be a new IP also though.

1. 2D Zelda
2. Platinum Game
3. Tomodachi or something from that team
4. Pokemon Spinoff
5. Switch Sports (I'm willing this one into existence... it makes too much sense)

Linde

Banned
Sep 2, 2018
Missing franchises (that aren't dead):
-Wario
-Pikmin
-Style Savvy
-Brain Age
-Kid Icarus
-Punch Out!
-Nintendogs
-Rhythm Heaven
-Star Fox

Out of these, I think kid Icarus, punch out and starfox are out of the question because Sora has been too busy, we just had arms and star fox zero flopped pretty hard (I don't believe the rumour about it)

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Agree, Switch needs more variety. By the way, Pokemon CEO said the game was being developed with "longtime fans" in my mind, not serving as an entry point to the series. I'm not saying Pokemon will suddenly be a +18 game, but I don't think we will see the same approach they had with Let's Go in terms of marketing and who to reach. Animal Crossing is probably the big game with which they will try to appeal non traditional players.

You're right, I formulated that part weird. I meant to say that I believe Gen 8 will be more successful than LGPE and grow the user base more, particularly among kids. But that will also be helped by a cheaper Switch model.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
I think some people are overlooking all the smaller franchises that could fall under the unannounced titles that Emily mentioned.

I really wouldn't be surprised if one is Tomodachi, that series is a huge seller and under the radar. The 3DS entry cleared 6.4 million and it would make sense alongside a smaller Switch revision. The only argument against it would be Animal Crossing covers very similar territory.

I also expect some sort of Pokemon spinoff. Mystery Dungeon would make sense, but it could be the Ranger series or even Snap?

Mario vs. Donkey Kong seems like a potential eShop fit. BoxBoy, Dillon, and Pushmo/Crashmo all seem possible too. My big theory would be Switch Sports as a digital game, or a digital pack-in. This could be a new IP also though.

1. 2D Zelda
2. Platinum Game
3. Tomodachi or something from that team
4. Pokemon Spinoff
5. Switch Sports (I'm willing this one into existence... it makes too much sense)
Hmm didn't think of Switch Sports as an eShop title, makes sense as well.

Sea lion

Banned
Nov 8, 2017

1. Red Dead Redemption 2
  3. NBA 2K19
  4. Madden NFL 19
  6. Marvel's Spider-Man
  7. Far Cry 5
  8. God of War 2018
  11. Grand Theft Auto V
  12. Mario Kart 8*
  13. FIFA 19**
  14. Battlefield V**
  15. Super Mario Odyssey*
  19. Super Mario Party*
Mang, it'd be wild if Switch got Monster Hunter World. That would result in a bab of the pants from me.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
visually it aged terribly (because even at the time it looked more a Wii game), and it has been so many years without a new entry, and gameplay needs to be reworked a bit.

Despite Pikmin 3 did have some Wii textures, try booting Pikmin 2 than Pikmin 3 and than say that Pikmin 3 look like more like Wii game.
Saying that, Pikmin 3 port on Switch would quite benefit from 1080p resolution.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
-Wario
-Pikmin
-Style Savvy
-Brain Age
-Kid Icarus
-Punch Out!
-Nintendogs
-Rhythm Heaven
-Star Fox

Out of these, I think kid Icarus, punch out and starfox are out of the question because Sora has been too busy, we just had arms and star fox zero flopped pretty hard (I don't believe the rumour about it)

Punch Out and Arms aren't really comparable. Punch Out is a lot more like a puzzle/rhythm game than a fighting game.

Also Kid Icarus can be developed by someone other than Sakurai (though that would be a shame)

Maxina

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
-Wario
-Pikmin
-Style Savvy

-Brain Age
-Kid Icarus
-Punch Out!
-Nintendogs
-Rhythm Heaven
-Star Fox

We'll see the bolded following sooner or later. Didn't Sakurai say we won't be seeing a Kid Icarus game anytime soon?

Edit: Want to reiterate, Sakurai said he won't be making one personally, as skittz claims, it would be a shame. Then again, Kirby hasn't been touched by Sakurai for years now, and its trekking along quite nicely.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
But it's a new IP, it takes time to create a new world with a new story, expecting it to take just 2 years is optimistic at best.

Depends on the story. And most of game development isn't taking up by creating a new world or an IP. Most of game development happens because of engine and assets. Even a new IP can borrow assets from a different game.

HeroR

Banned
Dec 10, 2017
Yet, as far as we can tell 2019 looks a lot like 2018. 2 big hitters and other "smaller" titles to fill the calendar.

What you say make sens, but it's clear by now Nintendo chose to keep on the more conservative strategy. From Nintendo, you'll have AC, Pokemon, Wii U remasters and probably a new model. That's it.

In 2018, many people thought they had big hitters outside of Smash and Let's Go. Yet, they went with only those two. Nintendo rarely drop a big surprise for the current year.

I'm like you. I'd have prefered a different strategy, but that's what it is, again, as far as we can tell. And yes, that 20m forecast was stupid.

How was Super Mario Party as 'small hitter'?

Common Knowledge

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
I'd think it'd be cool if Animal Crossing ditches the top-down view and instead has a fully-realized 3D perspective. Probably won't happen though.

Luke88

One Winged Slayer
Dec 29, 2018
Italy
Depends on the story. And most of game development isn't taking up by creating a new world or an IP. Most of game development happens because of engine and assets. Even a new IP can borrow assets from a different game.
I'm positive Monolith needs a new engine after XC2 since that uses the XCX engine

Kid Icarus Uprising was at its best when it went to space
#PutAllNintendoGamesInSpace
Super Mario Galaxy Checks out

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Kid Icarus Uprising was at its best when it went to space
#PutAllNintendoGamesInSpace
KIU was best when you were fighting space aliens with the other gods

I'm positive Monolith needs a new engine after XC2 since that uses the XCX engine
Monolith upgraded the renderer to be physically based. all they really need to do is optimize it so it doesn't run as poorly as Xenoblade 2

Kevin360

OG Direct OP
Oct 25, 2017
This week has to be it. It has to be the week that we see some confirmation of first party releases that we speculate about so much in here.

However they decide to put us in the know. However Nintendo does these kinds of things nowadays.

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
I'm with some of you. I would love to see Animal Crossing avoiding safe bet and try to do something huge and new, a jump like Zelda or Mario have done

SurTAR

Dec 9, 2018
So... I'll order today a pizza since i expect it to be delivered on Thursday because It comes from the space. Hope the otters dont eat it on its way.

daybreak

Feb 28, 2018
Approaching never-before-seen levels of insanity in this thread. I fear for some people if there is no news this week.

Also, I love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.