• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Nintendo-First Party Thread |OT2| New Year. New Mii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Nov 8, 2017
It obviously was just a little misunderstanding. Seriously some of you are so highly strung right now, chill, it got reopened. You can all go to that thread now if you want to shitpost/be negative. Have fun.

Oct 27, 2017
It obviously was just a little misunderstanding. Seriously some of you are so highly strung right now, chill, it got reopened. You can all go to that thread now if you want to shitpost/be negative. Have fun.
Way to say those people only shitpost. Grow up. I’m tired of some of you think you’re better than everyone who speculates.

Oct 27, 2017
I was wondering: is there any interest in having a dedicated 'Nintendo Direct Speculation |OT|' to keep this one more focused on 1st party discussions?
It would make this thread more interesting.

Also, What happens if the Direct thread is just “reset the clock” type posts and whatnot? It does get bad when people are anxiously waiting for a direct. Wouldn’t it get locked and we’re back to square one?

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
NDcube using the NintendoWare Bezel Engine for Super Mario Party raises a few interesting questions:
Is Nintendo looking to have its first party studios transition over to that engine for future products instead of just third parties as was originally understood? If not, what other games and first party devs are going to be utilizing this engine?

Eolz

Oct 25, 2017
FR
NDcube using the NintendoWare Bezel Engine for Super Mario Party raises a few interesting questions:
Is Nintendo looking to have its first party studios transition over to that engine for future products instead of just third parties as was originally understood? If not, what other games and first party devs are going to be utilizing this engine?
Seems like a good engine for small sized games. Improving it thanks to dev contributions will also make it more attractive to third parties (mostly small studios).

Oct 25, 2017
Since this is the first party thread, the teams that intrique me most are the splatoon team and alphadream, among others.

I think Splatoon 2 will be the only Splatoon game on Switch.
so part of me thinks the team will make another game on switch. Maybe a new IP, maybe a weird take on a genre/old IP.

I think something interesting is brewing from that team.

Then alphadream is interesting. Seeing how they make a HD game as currently constructed will be intersting. Since they needed help with Dream Team.

Oct 27, 2017
I don’t like making topics or I would’ve done it. I’m sure one of these other guys will make it.
Btw, has any upcoming third party games been confirmed to use it yet?

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
Then alphadream is interesting. Seeing how they make a HD game as currently constructed will be intersting. Since they needed help with Dream Team.
Oh, if we can talk about studios that aren't technically first party but work almost exclusively on first party projects, this thread can be a field day.
AlphaDream, Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory, Grezzo, Good-Feel, Next Level Games, the list goes on.

Oct 26, 2017
We're still missing quite a few details about what exactly can be done with this engine and what its intended usage is. But Super Mario Party has a nice clean look and has a fairly stable framerate so it's doing its job for that kind of game.

It seems like that tweet people sent out yesterday about them previewing Nintendo games was about Kirby’s extra epic yarn. There may have been other games not mentioned yet. https://youtu.be/DV26RoTBYY4
Surely they didn't call them for this only.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh, if we can talk about studios that aren't technically first party but work almost exclusively on first party projects, this thread can be a field day.
AlphaDream, Intelligent Systems, HAL Laboratory, Grezzo, Good-Feel, Next Level Games, the list goes on.
yeah, I'd want to.
Since nintendo funds and publishes franchises like m&L.
I think all those companies' output should be included.
Since the games are first party.

Oct 26, 2017
Speaking of Octopath, any thoughts on a sequel or another Squenix partnership?
Asano finally got his own team and said that they plan on releasing one game a year. It sounds like they‘re gonna work on more Octopath Traveler and/or Bravely in the future but this year‘s game is supposedly something else.

I am hoping that it is Tokita‘s secret Switch product but it might be something mobile or web bound.

Oct 29, 2017
Since this is the first party thread, the teams that intrique me most are the splatoon team and alphadream, among others.

I think Splatoon 2 will be the only Splatoon game on Switch.
so part of me thinks the team will make another game on switch. Maybe a new IP, maybe a weird take on a genre/old IP.

I think something interesting is brewing from that team.

I could also see them working on a Splatoon spin-off in a different genre.

Jan 11, 2019
Asano finally got his own team and said that they plan on releasing one game a year. It sounds like they‘re gonna work on more Octopath Traveler and/or Bravely in the future but this year‘s game is supposedly something else.

I am hoping that it is Tokita‘s secret Switch product but it might be something mobile or web bound.
Oh wow, never got that into Bravely but can't wait to see what he can do with a new/different IP

Nov 14, 2018
Speaking of Octopath, any thoughts on a sequel or another Squenix partnership?
Bravely Third and/or Bravely Default 1+2 is heavily hinted many times. That's pretty much a lock. The question is when rather than if. I'm sure an Octopath Traveler sequel is probable, but most likely down the line. Plus who knows, maybe another new IP from the new studio division too

Jan 6, 2019
Bravely Third and/or Bravely Default 1+2 is heavily hinted many times. That's pretty much a lock. The question is when rather than if. I'm sure an Octopath Traveler sequel is probable, but most likely down the line. Plus who knows, maybe another new IP from the new studio division too
I think Bravely Third is late next year or the year after. They probably began development sometime in the second half of last year after Octopath's success.

Oct 27, 2017
I would like a new 2d Wario as well, thought the Wii game was great (even though I've rather embarrassingly forgot the name of it!). Of course a new Wario should include Waluigi in some way ;)

Oct 29, 2017
It's going to be interesting to see what Good-Feel does after Crafted World (which they seem to have finished months ago). Would be nice to see them go back to the first Nintendo franchise they worked on.
A new Wario Land after all this time would be great, but I can't help but be a bit curious about what Good Feel can do other than 2D platformers. They're full of Konami refugees with experience in diverse genres. Last I checked they had the creator of Goemon, the director of NES Contra and the director of Silent Hill 2 there. Not saying 2D platformers are "beneath" them or anything, just interested in what else they could cook up.

Apr 26, 2018
Well, it wasn't too long ago that people were dearly missing the Ware series and were unsure if there was going to be another entry. Fans are most vocal about absent franchises. I'm sure if Advance Wars continued, we would hear a lot about how they hate it for killing FE.

I guess these "one or the other" absences are what people want rectified by hiring more staff, but it seems like additional experienced/trusted producers are needed more than larger amounts of workers or studios.

Feb 3, 2019
Speaking of Wario Ware; we all know one is coming eventually to Switch. It kind of feels like Mario Party last year in the sense that it’s inevitable but no one actually knows when it will come. I could easily see that being a 2020 title.

Oct 26, 2017
A new Wario Land after all this time would be great, but I can't help but be a bit curious about what Good Feel can do other than 2D platformers. They're full of Konami refugees with experience in diverse genres. Last I checked they had the creator of Goemon, the director of NES Contra and the director of Silent Hill 2 there. Not saying 2D platformers are "beneath" them or anything, just interested in what else they could cook up.
I took a quick look on Mobygames and it seems like most of the leads on Woolly World aren't credited for much else before joining Good-Feel and that people like Madoka Yamauchi and Koichi Yagi stepped back from on-hands development roles after Wario Land into advisor roles. But yes, I wouldn't be opposed to them trying something different either.

Oct 25, 2017
I know its a bit late, but I'm happy the direct speculation got its own thread. Mayne I'll be able to keep up with this thread now!

As for the Wario games.... I'd like to see a Wario World sequel. The GC game was nice, and I feel they can build upon it a lot.

Dec 31, 2018
Hey, if you guys wanted another newer first party Nintendo game, what would you want? Splatoon 3: Wars, Arms 2: Legs, or a new game with its own style similar to the previous two?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
I know its a bit late, but I'm happy the direct speculation got its own thread. Mayne I'll be able to keep up with this thread now!

As for the Wario games.... I'd like to see a Wario World sequel. The GC game was nice, and I feel they can build upon it a lot.
Even though Treasure still seems somewhat alive, I doubt they'd have the resources to build that type of game again to modern standards (assuming Nintendo would even greenlight another 3D platforming game in that franchise).

Dec 31, 2018
I would like a new 2d Wario as well, thought the Wii game was great (even though I've rather embarrassingly forgot the name of it!). Of course a new Wario should include Waluigi in some way ;)
The game is Wario Land: Shake It. :) and it was super fun. Really cool art style. Had some quality humor.

Oct 25, 2017
Florida
true,
but part of me feels the inevitable splatoon spin-off will go to a smaller team, and won't be nearly the budget.
Like Mystery Dungeon for Pokemon or Mario & Luigi
A Spike Chunsoft-developed single player Splatoon Mystery Dungeon would be pretty interesting, the more that I think about it.

May 19, 2018
I’d love a Wario Ware game on Switch, but my fear is that they’ll gussy it up with a bunch of nonsense multiplayer mumbo jumbo like they did with the Wii version.

I would love it if they stuck to basics a la the original GBA game. No touch, no microphone, no twisting, just “mash” style mini-games.

Apr 26, 2018
Even though Treasure still seems somewhat alive, I doubt they'd have the resources to build that type of game again to modern standards (assuming Nintendo would even greenlight another 3D platforming game in that franchise).
The strange thing is that Azusa Tajima served as an assistant director on Wario World, and she also was one of the directors on Wario: Master of Disguise, Super Princess Peach and two of the GBA F-Zeros (plus Fossil Fighters and Disaster Day of Crisis.) All kind of whiffs that stalled or shelved their respective series.

BUT it's just a fun bit of info, I don't want to start some narrative. Besides, she also produced Lego City, so it's all good.

Oct 27, 2017
It will be interesting to see what Good-Feel does after Yoshi, I know for some hardcore Wario Land fans, them reviving Wario Land would be a kind of monkey's paw.

Oct 27, 2017
So do we know which team is doing OS programming and NSO? Im wondering how big that team is and who the lead is on that one. Its been fairly quite since NSO launched.

Oct 27, 2017
So do we know which team is doing OS programming and NSO? Im wondering how big that team is and who the lead is on that one. Its been fairly quite since NSO launched.
HAL helped with the OS. As for NSO itself, it should have been at least half-developed by DeNa. In Smash Bros credits Hatena (the guys behind Miiverse and Flipnote) and SRD (basically the programming arm of EPD) are credited for the online, but they could have been helped only on that particular game.

Kozy

Dec 4, 2017
I was thinking about how Nintendo seems to have a found a new, long term Western partner in Mercury Steam and it got me wondering. What other, independent Western developers could they start working with?

They're not going to be working with Headstrong Games or Monster Games anymore so replacements need to be found.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo PTD (Platform, Technology & Development) is in charge of the OS, Online, and several aspects of technology, mechanics, and infrastructure surrounding Nintendo hardware.

Oct 29, 2017
I was thinking about how Nintendo seems to have a found a new, long term Western partner in Mercury Steam and it got me wondering. What other, independent Western developers could they start working with?

They're not going to be working with Headstrong Games or Monster Games anymore so replacements need to be found.
It's kinda hard to guess at them because Nintendo doesn't tend to team with storied Western devs who are broadly recognized, I assume because they feel they can exert more control on them otherwise. Even strong partners like Next Level Gameswere making stuff like Transformers: Cybertron Adventures in between their work with Nintendo before deciding to exclusively develop for them. That said they did just give their premier IP to Ubisoft so things might be slowly changing.

Jan 6, 2019

Playtonic and Armature are good candidates. Both studios have developers who have worked with Nintendo in the past (former Rare and Retro Studios) and make games that are good fits for the Nintendo audience.

Status
Not open for further replies.