• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Nintendo-First Party Thread |OT2| New Year. New Mii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I was thinking about how Nintendo seems to have a found a new, long term Western partner in Mercury Steam and it got me wondering. What other, independent Western developers could they start working with?

They're not going to be working with Headstrong Games or Monster Games anymore so replacements need to be found.
Actually, if Nintendo could merge with TakeTwo as a whole, they both profit a lot from each other. It's pipe dream but an amazing one:

-Rockstar studios are the best car combat devs in the world. It's time to carry F-Zero franchise to the open world realm and they're the ones should do that.
-Irrational games now absorbed into 2K Marin, they could create Metroid Prime game very close to the Retro's style.
-Out of all devs, Ken Levine is the biggest Zelda fan as he dumped his girlfriend over Ocarina of Time. I want to see what he and his newly founded studio Ghost Story to make out of 2D Zelda franchise.
-For 3D Zelda Rockstar San Diego/Red Dead team should be the devs.
-Firaxis is todays one of the best turn based strategy creator. Fire Emblem and Advance wars are among the best turn based strategy games ever created. It's a match made in heaven.
-While Visual Concepts are so good in creating realistic sports game, maybe it's time they tried their hands at Mario Sports.

Not to forget Nintendo would have all 2K properties exclusive to its system, and they are all what Switch needs nowadayas: Borderlands, GTA, Mafia, Bioshock. Open world games and adventure FPS. If Nintendo is to merge with someone, it shouldn't be with nonsensical options like Apple or Disney. It should be with Take Two.

Oct 27, 2017
I don't think Playtonic would be a good candidate. What would they bring to the table? Next Level brought experience with sports titles, Retro was built with people responsible for shooters like Turok. Playtonic is just another platformer developer, and Nintendo has ample platformer studios as is.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Yeah if Nintendo were to make uncharacteristic partnerships in the west, I'd hope it'd be with studios who can cover an area in which Nintendo themselves is weak or lacking.

Nov 3, 2017
A Spike Chunsoft-developed single player Splatoon Mystery Dungeon would be pretty interesting, the more that I think about it.
wouldn't be surprised to see SC do a MD game with another Nintendo IP since PMD's story came to an end and they exhausted all their ideas with PSMD. I don't think it would be a good idea to do an X6 situation with Pokemon MD and run it into the ground, so having a Zelda/Splatoon/Mario Mystery Dungeon game could be a fun experiment.

SuperBlank

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Is the Pokemon demographic majority-female? I thought it would be relatively neutral.
Yeah it's more so that Pokemon will probably keep things steady, while I think a majority of Nintendo's other big IPs (apart from AC) could skew things back into a male majority. Though Nintendo has pretty much played all those big guns already.

Sep 6, 2018
Lol I remember when some girls tried to tell me Animal Crossing is for girls only and I shouldn't play it back in elementary school. Kids are dumb lmao

Oct 26, 2017
I was thinking about how Nintendo seems to have a found a new, long term Western partner in Mercury Steam and it got me wondering. What other, independent Western developers could they start working with?

They're not going to be working with Headstrong Games or Monster Games anymore so replacements need to be found.
Knowing Nintendo, I can't really see them working with massive teams. MercurySteam is ~100 people, Next Level Games is ~115 people etc. They aren't really in the business of making huge AAA productions in the first place, especially not with outside companies. With that in mind...

Gunfire Games seems to have a very Nintendo-like approach to game design and production judging by interviews with studiohead David L. Adams. Very focused on economical production and mechanics over presentation. At the same time, they make games that are very different from what Nintendo does in both gameplay and aesthetics so they'd be a good fit.

If Nintendo still wants to make F-Zero or revive Diddy Kong Racing, the team that made Sonic & SEGA All-Star Racing Transformed at Sumo Digital would be my first pick.

I've also said it before but I'd have loved to see Nintendo work with THQ Nordic/Deep Silver. Volition (Saints Row) and Dambuster Studios (Homefront: The Revolution, former Free Radical Design people) would fill some glaring holes in the Switch lineup but I doubt that they would work on exclusive games with Nintendo.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Actually, if Nintendo could merge with TakeTwo as a whole, they both profit a lot from each other. It's pipe dream but an amazing one:

-Rockstar studios are the best car combat devs in the world. It's time to carry F-Zero franchise to the open world realm and they're the ones should do that.
-Irrational games now absorbed into 2K Marin, they could create Metroid Prime game very close to the Retro's style.
-Out of all devs, Ken Levine is the biggest Zelda fan as he dumped his girlfriend over Ocarina of Time. I want to see what he and his newly founded studio Ghost Story to make out of 2D Zelda franchise.
-Firaxis is todays one of the best turn based strategy creator. Fire Emblem and Advance wars are among the best turn based strategy games ever created. It's a match made in heaven.
-While Visual Concepts are so good in creating realistic sports game, maybe it's time they tried their hands at Mario Sports.

Not to forget Nintendo would have all 2K properties exclusive to its system, and they are all what Switch needs nowadayas: Borderlands, GTA, Mafia, Bioshock. Open world games and adventure FPS. If Nintendo is to merge with someone, it shouldn't be with nonsensical options like Apple or Disney. It should be with Take Two.
How drunk were you when writing this up? :D

Oct 26, 2017

Nice fan fiction you got there. Hope you find success with it.

Dec 12, 2017
They still had a system more powerful than the PS2 and easier to work with, where Sony outright lied about somethings regarding the PS2. Kamiya tore Sony apart about this during the development of DMC.
Well really power doesn't matter when most third parties didn't even have a dev kit for the system till about 6 months before launch and even after. Like they really made some bone headed choices in how to approach third parties partly because they didn't want them at the time either compared to xbox/ps2.

Oct 27, 2017
I'm intrigued to see what they can do with Mario Maker 2.

In regards to the 2d Zelda, please let it be a big sized adventure like Between Worlds was, not some multiplayer based thing.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
So anyone know if Alexander Brandon is still working at Retro?

https://www.gamereactor.eu/amp/news/533573/Retro+Studios+hires+Deus+Ex+composer/

He has made som amazing soundtracks (Unreal, Deus ex etc) and would be a perfect fit for a Metroid soundtrack. Remember reading Metroid was even one of his big influences..
As we had discussed when this new originally broke, he was working in sound design for the majority of his recent career, not composing music. So assuming he's going to compose for a game of theirs should not be the first conclusion to jump to.

Oct 25, 2017
Canada
I just want something to come out before Yoshi on March 31st, which I'm not that excited for (I'm sure it'll be good, but nothing amazing). It seems unlikely we'll get anything from Nintendo before that date, but I'd love for SNES games to be added to Switch Online, or some indie games get announced that will be released late this month/early March.

Oct 25, 2017
I just want something to come out before Yoshi on March 31st, which I'm not that excited for (I'm sure it'll be good, but nothing amazing). It seems unlikely we'll get anything from Nintendo before that date, but I'd love for SNES games to be added to Switch Online, or some indie games get announced that will be released late this month/early March.
It's possible we're getting an eshop title in February, possibly a Boxboy title.

Oct 30, 2017
I’d love a Wario Ware game on Switch, but my fear is that they’ll gussy it up with a bunch of nonsense multiplayer mumbo jumbo like they did with the Wii version.

I would love it if they stuck to basics a la the original GBA game. No touch, no microphone, no twisting, just “mash” style mini-games.
WarioWare has always been a tech showcase franchise. Gimmicks are its identity at this point.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I’d love a Wario Ware game on Switch, but my fear is that they’ll gussy it up with a bunch of nonsense multiplayer mumbo jumbo like they did with the Wii version.

I would love it if they stuck to basics a la the original GBA game. No touch, no microphone, no twisting, just “mash” style mini-games.
I love the WarioWare franchise (especially the first 5 with Sakamoto's team), and Smooth Moves multiplayer is one of the best party games ever.

Mar 18, 2018
So, assuming there's no unexpected sub-contracting or co-development like with Oracle of Ages or Wii Fit U, in 2019 EPD is likely to release:

-NSMBUDX (finished a while ago apparently, though)
-LABO 4 (likely already finished)
-Pikmin 3 port
-Animal Crossing
-Mario Maker 2
-2D Zelda
-Mario Kart Tour

That's a big jump from last year.

Last edited:
OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
So, assuming there's no unexpected sub-contracting or co-development like with Oracle of Ages or Wii Fit U, in 2019 EPD is likely to release:
Yeah.. about that. Still, EPD should be on course to release much more in-house derived software this year. They did something interesting on the WIi U / 3DS. They had their prototype teams split-off development to contractors to finish (Steel Diver, Star Fox Zero, Wii Sports Club, etc.) That's an interesting approach moving forward.

Mar 18, 2018
Yeah.. about that. Still, EPD should be on course to release much more in-house derived software this year. They did something interesting on the WIi U / 3DS. They had their prototype teams split-off development to contractors to finish (Steel Diver, Star Fox Zero, Wii Sports Club, etc.) That's an interesting approach moving forward.
Oh, I'm fully expecting at least one or more of them will be outsourced or co-developed.

Oct 25, 2017
Mario Maker 2?

the hell Tezuka and Miyamoto been doing since the remix 10 update for Super Mario Run?

It's going to be wild if the 3d Mario team pump out the next mainline game before the 2D team

Edit: damn...2019 is shaping to be solid AF. Looks my gcu is going out with a bang lol.

Last edited:
Oct 24, 2017
I'll be busy for the rest of the year, so I won't have much spare time to participate on Era. So if you ping me or dm me -- don't expect a quick response anytime soon. I made one last final update to my post, and added eShop game #3. This is shaping up to be a big year for eShop digital releases.

Hope to talk to you all in 2020.

Last edited:
Oct 26, 2017
I'll be busy for the rest of the year, so I won't have much spare time to participate on Era. So if you ping me or dm me -- don't expect a quick response anytime soon. I made one last final update to my post, and added eShop game #3. This is shaping up to be a big year for eShop digital releases.

Hope to talk to you all in 2020.

Your link doesn't link to your post.

Wait a second, weren't you a mod? Why are you a peasant now?

Oct 24, 2017
Your link doesn't link to your post.

Wait a second, weren't you a mod? Why are you a peasant now?
Didn't have time to be an administrator anymore. Needed more time for other things. With that said, I put in a lot of work and time into helping Cerium create this site (including the 2.0 update). So I hope this site and community continues to grow.

Status
Not open for further replies.