• The site will be down for scheduled maintenance this Friday the 24th at 2AM PST / 5AM EST / 9AM UTC while we perform a software update. We expect this process to take up to 5 hours. Thank you for your understanding and patience. New features will be included.
  • Community Spotlight sign-ups are open once again for both Gaming and EtcetEra Hangout threads! If you want to shine a spotlight on your community, please register now.

Nintendo-First Party Thread |OT2| New Year. New Mii.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 27, 2017
I'll be busy for the rest of the year, so I won't have much spare time to participate on Era. So if you ping me or dm me -- don't expect a quick response anytime soon. I made one last final update to my post, and added eShop game #3. This is shaping up to be a big year for eShop digital releases.

Hope to talk to you all in 2020.
Thank you for the knowledge you brought us, and I wish you the best of luck in your endeavors.

Oct 25, 2017
Indeed. Five is the floor (minimum) -- not the ceiling. The ceiling could be as high as 11 or 12.

It's difficult to give an exact number because any game can be pushed back to 2020 for marketing/scheduling reasons.

Let me try to explain this better.

The "Most likely" Nintendo-published game announcements for 2019. (70% chance or higher)

1. Mystery game #1
2. Mystery game #2
3. Mystery game #3
4. Mystery game #4
5. eShop game #1
6. Mystery Wii U port #1 (2013 title)
7. eShop game #2
8. eShop game #3
9. New Labo Kit

The "Maybe" games for 2019. (The wild card titles - 50% chance or less)

10. Retro Studios secret game (this is assuming it wasn't canned)
11. Metroid Prime Trilogy (assuming Zell's info and Imran's info are correct)
12. Mystery Wii U port #2

Final Update: February 8th, 2019

I am adding eShop game #3 to the list. This is shaping up to be a big year for eShop digital releases.
Assuming that every "mystery title" is one that hasn't been announced yet, that's a lot of games to come, given that we already have Yoshi, FE, LM3, Animal Crossing, Daemon X Machina, and Pokemon 2019 filling out the rest of the year. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo kept some stuff for 2020 just to make sure that year has a full schedule, too.

Thanks for sharing this as always, Emily. I'm excited for those eShop releases and have missed them on Switch.

Oct 29, 2017
Assuming that every "mystery title" is one that hasn't been announced yet, that's a lot of games to come, given that we already have Yoshi, FE, LM3, Animal Crossing, Daemon X Machina, and Pokemon 2019 filling out the rest of the year. I wouldn't mind if Nintendo kept some stuff for 2020 just to make sure that year has a full schedule, too.

Thanks for sharing this as always, Emily. I'm excited for those eShop releases and have missed them on Switch.
Based on the rumours, my guesses...

The "Most likely" Nintendo-published game announcements for 2019. (70% chance or higher)

1. Mystery game #1 - 2D Zelda
2. Mystery game #2 - Mario Maker 2
3. Mystery game #3 - Nintendoworld or something of that ilk. Online focused whatever it is
4. Mystery game #4 - Has pokemon technically been 'announced' in the sense that it couldn't fill one of these slots? Otherwise I'm not sure
5. eShop game #1 - Boxboy
6. Mystery Wii U port #1 (2013 title) - Pikmin 3
7. eShop game #2 - Mario VS DK
8. eShop game #3 - ?
9. New Labo Kit - ?

The "Maybe" games for 2019. (The wild card titles - 50% chance or less)

10. Retro Studios secret game (this is assuming it wasn't canned) - Star Fox Grand Prix?
11. Metroid Prime Trilogy (assuming Zell's info and Imran's info are correct)
12. Mystery Wii U port #2 - W101 or SM3DW

Xun

Oct 25, 2017
London
Honestly more than anything I want to see new “big” single player IP.

Splatoon and ARMS prove they can create new worlds and experiences perfectly.

Mar 23, 2018
So based on the info that has been shared with us, the best folks can hope for right now regarding The Wonderful 101 is that one of the unrevealed Platinum projects is a TW101 sequel that includes TW101 as an additional game like Bayonetta 2 did with Bayo 1, right? I don't really know if TW101 is a first party title but may aswell post it here.

I wanna see what the Octopath/Bravely dev team is making, too; Bravely could absolutely continue as its own thing or they could keep making 2DHD titles but I'd rather see something with the Bravely style before the next 2DHD title. This also reminds me: is Atlus even working on anything other than SMT V for the platform? I don't recall any other title being announced(There's the Persona 5 rumor)

I'm wondering if the ARMS team is working on a different game or sequel already, too.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
So based on the info that has been shared with us, the best folks can hope for right now regarding The Wonderful 101 is that one of the unrevealed Platinum projects is a TW101 sequel that includes TW101 as an additional game like Bayonetta 2 did with Bayo 1, right? I don't really know if TW101 is a first party title but may aswell post it here.

I wanna see what the Octopath/Bravely dev team is making, too; Bravely could absolutely continue as its own thing or they could keep making 2DHD titles but I'd rather see something with the Bravely style before the next 2DHD title. This also reminds me: is Atlus even working on anything other than SMT V for the platform? I don't recall any other title being announced(There's the Persona 5 rumor)

I'm wondering if the ARMS team is working on a different game or sequel already, too.
Aren't the ARMS team the Mario Kart team?

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
TW101 as first party as it gets.

Oct 25, 2017
it's more first party than Town

Nov 1, 2017
They are, though they’re probably working on something besides Mario Kart or ARMS right now alongside Mario Kart Tour if I had to guess. It’s too soon for sequels for either franchise, especially on the Switch.
I agree. We won't see Mario Kart 9 any time soon. Probably not until their next platform as a launch game.

Oct 25, 2017
I agree. We won't see Mario Kart 9 any time soon. Probably not until their next platform as a launch game.
Which is why I feel that the argument people use that says “ports don’t affect the release of new games” to people who complain about them isn’t entirely true. I’m generally not against ports at all, and even welcome the possibility of a select few more Wii U ports, but Nintendo more or less has treated the Wii U ports to the Switch as brand new games in their respective franchises. Don’t expect a brand new Mario Kart on the Switch, nor a 2D Mario that’s not Mario Maker 2. Heck, I’d say even the chances of a new DK game is slim.

I guess it’s just the reality when we’re coming off of a failed system that nobody bought. These technically are “new games” for the vast majority of people. Sucks for Wii U owners though.

Oct 25, 2017
Which is why I feel that the argument people use that says “ports don’t affect the release of new games” to people who complain about them isn’t entirely true. I’m generally not against ports at all, and even welcome the possibility of a select few more Wii U ports, but Nintendo more or less has treated the Wii U ports to the Switch as brand new games in their respective franchises. Don’t expect a brand new Mario Kart on the Switch, nor a 2D Mario that’s not Mario Maker 2. Heck, I’d say even the chances of a new DK game is slim.

I guess it’s just the reality when we’re coming off of a failed system that nobody bought. These technically are “new games” for the vast majority of people. Sucks for Wii U owners though.
Yep. The whole "you can't complain about ports thing" isn't really that valid if those ports actually are meant to replace new games in that series. Mk8 is a 5 year old game. If there isn't a new one for like 5 more years until the switch 2, that's a decade of mk8. Like come on.

Oct 27, 2017
Emily said 4 was actually rebooted during its development.

Oh..
So after FE and Yoshi delays, the metroid debacle.. We have also a pikmin shitshow here?

So much for their hybrid hardware that should increase the number of brand new releases merging the portable and jome development pipeline..

Dec 9, 2018
I'm Ok with MK8D being the only Mario Kart on Switch since I don't see the IP being able to evolve further than where it is now. They can always add scenaries, characters and cars, but that could all be included in DLC's (which I expect to have).

Oct 25, 2017
I'm Ok with MK8D being the only Mario Kart on Switch since I don't see the IP being able to evolve further than where it is now. They can always add scenaries, characters and cars, but that could all be included in DLC's (which I expect to have).
But are they going to? It's been out 2 years now. 2-3 years is very late to add new full dlc.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh..
So after FE and Yoshi delays, the metroid debacle.. We have also a pikmin shitshow here?

So much for their hybrid hardware that should increase the number of brand new releases merging the portable and jome development pipeline..
hybrid hardware has nothing to do with that. shit, EA literally just rebooted a game twice and that's being made for more malleable systems than the switch

Oct 27, 2017
I know lots of people who skipped MK8dx because they already played it on WiiU. I also know a few who bought MK8dx under the impression that it was a new game, and was extremely disappointed to discover that it was not. A new Mario Kart must be close. It needs to completely change its online system to draw in the Fortnite crowd, as 10-14 year olds are now probably the most active online user base out there. If they can somehow create a Balloon-Battle Royale mode, where you might not even start in your gokart, but have to locate them to use weapons and find upgrades and reach safe zones, and different karts have different abilities, drivers can be knocked off their karts, etc.. I think there's something there that could be very fun, and definitely different enough to be a brand new game.

Jan 11, 2019
Oh..

Sure it sucks that we won't/didn't get those games when we were meant to, but don't forget we'll be getting better games for it.

Jan 3, 2018
Yep. The whole "you can't complain about ports thing" isn't really that valid if those ports actually are meant to replace new games in that series. Mk8 is a 5 year old game. If there isn't a new one for like 5 more years until the switch 2, that's a decade of mk8. Like come on.
Right, and ARMS to me was not a good trade-off for a lack of a new MK.

Mar 18, 2018
Oh..

Complete non sequitor there. Making games for one system doesn't guarantee there'll never be development troubles, lol.

Besides - look at Yoshi, the delay really seems to be a big improvement over the first showing. I don't know I'd want the version where you need 2 players to flip the stage.

Right, and ARMS to me was not a good trade-off for a lack of a new MK.
The core gameplay of ARMs is great. Very satisfying. So hard disagree.

Nov 8, 2017
Oh..

You do realise that every other developer has the same issues, right? Game development isn't easy and you are being extremely disrespectful.

Oct 25, 2017
Oh..

You clearly have no idea how game development works. This is the status quo.

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Oh..

What are you decrying here in terms of output? Hybrid < console + portable or hybrid <= max(console, portable) ?

In the former case, well yeah, it's expected that the output could become smaller when you move on from developing for the 3DS, considering that system takes a lot less development power than an HD system. In the latter case, you're simply wrong.

Also, development issues happen, they just made the mistake of announcing those projects too early (in the case of Pikmin 4 and MP4), and now they have public cases of delays/reboots. I doubt stuff like this never happened before. Instead, this stuff probably just didn't become public because they never talked publicly about those games.

Oct 25, 2017
I'll be busy for the rest of the year, so I won't have much spare time to participate on Era. So if you ping me or dm me -- don't expect a quick response anytime soon. I made one last final update to my post, and added eShop game #3. This is shaping up to be a big year for eShop digital releases.

Hope to talk to you all in 2020.
I wish you a good luck with your future and I hope everything would be smooth experience for you. Thanks for some nuggets and most of us really appreciate that!

Mar 18, 2018
Do we know anything about the 2D Zelda? Could it be a multiplayer-focused game like Triforce Heroes?
I don't think any leakers have said anything, but I imagine it will have some kind of multiplayer aspects to it (co-op in the story or a Tri Force Heroes inspired side mode) but I imagine it'll be fully playable in single player.

Oct 25, 2017
Yeah for some reason “Zelda” and “multiplayer” makes me wince. The furthest I’d be fine with is some Dark Souls-lite aspects where players can leave messages or slight impacts on another player’s game. But the whole Four Swords/Triforce Heroes type of multiplayer I don’t mind if we never see again.

Jan 6, 2019

Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey are among the worst-selling Mario games of all time in Japan. With dire 3DS software numbers like these, it's clear why Nintendo is doing a Switch Mini before a Switch Pro.

Oct 25, 2017
We don't know anything about it. I don't see any reason to think it'll be multiplayer focused anyway.
I think the common reasoning is that a lot of Switch games have been pushing the local multiplayer aspect since you have the two joycons out of the box.

I hope they know that they need some single player focused games in addition to multiplayer, but with the history of the 2D Zelda series and the above I think it's reasonable to think they might go for some multiplayer elements.

Oct 26, 2017
Mario and Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story + Bowser Jr.'s Journey are among the worst-selling Mario games of all time in Japan. With dire 3DS software numbers like these, it's clear why Nintendo is doing a Switch Mini before a Switch Pro.
Yup, 3DS SW sales have tanked hard. I don't know who said it but with 3DS becoming a non-factor, they're inevitably going to have to up their Switch SW output. I assume that the 2018 lineup was still planned with the assumption that the 3DS might carry its weight but not anymore.

Jan 3, 2018
I think the common reasoning is that a lot of Switch games have been pushing the local multiplayer aspect since you have the two joycons out of the box.

I hope they know that they need some single player focused games in addition to multiplayer, but with the history of the 2D Zelda series and the above I think it's reasonable to think they might go for some multiplayer elements.
Also Aonuma has teased about multiplayer Zelda multiple times.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
The underground info about Nintendo's line up accounts for most of the EPD Production groups except Sakamato and Production Group No.7. Something 2D Metroid / Tomodachi / Rhythm Tengoku has to surface by year's end. I hope.

Oct 25, 2017

hopefully nintendo takes note and kills the 3ds for good now, but i guess we'll see if the direct has more 3ds headlines lol

Oct 27, 2017
The underground info about Nintendo's line up accounts for most of the EPD Production groups except Sakamato and Production Group No.7. Something 2D Metroid / Tomodachi / Rhythm Tengoku has to surface by year's end. I hope.
The current thought/speculation is that they are collaborating with Mercurysteam on Metroid V. Maybe they are working on Tomodachi Life internally. Don't think either will be this year, though. Especially not Metroid.

Oct 25, 2017
I feel like Mario & Luigi as a concept is kind of played out.

Mario RPGs have been stagnating for a long time, they really need a swift kick in the ass
I mean paper mario isn't even an rpg anymore, and mario and luigi peaked at the original BiS. Not sure what they can do.

Status
Not open for further replies.