• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017
It's very possible they saw Starlink's racing mode. It looks quite good, especially if it wasn't on-Switch footage.

I'm starting to think it might be worth opening a thread discussing the possibility that these two games were confused. Maybe then some insiders would chime in with their thoughts on the matter.
But where people got that it was retro?

Something is shady in all that

I remember a talk about racing mixed with bosses and all that, does starlink have that?

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
But where people got that it was retro?

Something is shady in all that

I remember a talk about racing mixed with bosses and all that, does starlink have that?

Starlink sorta has boss battles in the main game, which is presumably separated from the racing mode. The point is, if someone saw leaked footage of the game and saw the racing mode first, then saw the rest of the game including the hub ship, the boss battles, the mission icons, all the Star Fox characters, etc. they could have easily mistaken the game for a racing game that includes all of those elements.

As for Retro, someone may have just jumped to conclusions seeing a Star Fox game made by a Western developer. Nintendo's western developers outside of Retro are all accounted for, and this feels like the type of ambitious title Retro could do.

The Doctor

Jan 17, 2018
I find amazing how the Direct subverted every expectation. Not a single game was really teased or predicted by Insiders, except for Zell whi predicted Zelda.
The rest, well. Very far feom reality. I remember specially the guy sharing the Vergeben "leaks". It's kind of funny now. StarFox GP is not the only thing we should be wonder about. Metroid Prime Trilogy and the Pikmin 3 port should be proof that we must be a little skeptical from now on.

All apart from that, great Direct!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I find amazing how the Direct subverted every expectation. Not a single game was really teased or predicted by Insiders, except for Zell whi predicted Zelda.
The rest, well. Very far feom reality. I remember specially the guy sharing the Vergeben "leaks". It's kind of funny now. StarFox GP is not the only thing we should be wonder about. Metroid Prime Trilogy and the Pikmin 3 port should be proof that we must be a little skeptical from now on.

Zell also said Mario Maker 2 and Boxboy were coming this year.

Zedelima

▲ Legend ▲
Oct 25, 2017

But even that he got kinda wrong, is a remake and not a brand new one

But i still believe that some games that he/she teased exists

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Now that it's pretty much confirmed that Star Fox GP doesn't exist anymore or never existed in the first place, the only thing we can cling to is that we believe Nintendo wouldn't give Metroid Prime 4 to Retro if they didn't think they would do a great job. And that they liked the demo, I guess.

Ehh... How is it confirmed in any way?

ShinobiBk

One Winged Slayer
Dec 28, 2017
Let's talk about how I've been predicting for months Animal Crossing would be a holiday game and nearly everyone on here was insistent it was early Summer.
I did fall for that European retailer listing though, so can't brag too much.

Now knowing about Link's Awakening, my Switch release predictions stay pretty much the same

September - Link's Awakening
Luigi's Mansion - October
Pokemon - November
Animal Crossing - December

I suppose Link's Awakening and AC can swap spots but I feel like LM3 & Pokemon are essentially locks as October & November games. They always made sense for those games.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Of course, if they don't show anything this year I will absolutely be back on team #bigtroubles, of which I remind you I was one of the Captain until recently. But Nintendo giving them Metroid 4 and emphasizing their quality standards is in my opinion as close as we can get to a confirmation that the studio is, in its current state, healthy, so I will be optimistic until at least E3.
And yeah, starfox racing or whatever was in my opinion a bad idea from the beginning, as I have said numerous times. The fact that it ends up being a mini-game in freaking starlink kinda supports how bad of an idea for a full game it was from the beginning. It could still happen but I'm now very very doubtful it will, and that's for the best. For the timeline to be even brighter, we could have a full reveal of Donkey Kong Return 3 on switch, developed for 5 years by Retro in the style of Mario 3D World. I would buy Nintendo's stock if that happens.

I am not sure that Nintendo highlighting this as their big collaboration with one of their premier partners really supports the notion of it being a bad idea in any way. Especially since everyone who was excited for the game thought it would be a Star Fox spin on Diddy Kong Racing, which is a proven concept.

In any case, I don't really follow the logic here how this is a positive beyond deeply rooted pettiness which I am pretty used to from you.

Ehh... How is it confirmed in any way?

Do you think Nintendo would give Ubisoft the green light to have a racing mini-game in Starlink when they have to sell a "proper" Star Fox racing game? I wrote "pretty much" because they didn't officially comment on it (and probably never will) but this places the likelihood of SFGP existing close to zero for me.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Emily was on point.

She was the one who told us to keep an eye on Platinum and boom! Astral Chain.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
In any case, I don't really follow the logic here how this is a positive beyond deeply rooted pettiness which I am pretty used to from you.

Classier than ever as I can see. Even after a great and fulfilling direct, I see that some of the permanent members of this topic find ways to remain unnecessarily aggressive while I'm having a civil conversation in good faith.
I'm happy that Starfox Racing is probably not a thing because that means Retro has been working on something else, which I hope will be better than a minigame in a game that wasn't great to begin with. Is that petty in your book of pettiness?

Last edited:

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Classy as always as I can see. Even after a great direct, I see that some of the permanent members of this topic find ways to remain unnecessarily aggressive while I'm having a civil conversation in good faith.
I'm happy that Starfox Racing is probably not a thing because that means Retro has been working on something else, which I hope will be better than a minigame in a game that wasn't great to begin with. Is that petty in your sorry book of pettiness?

Uh, yes, I find the gloating attitude you put on display in this thread (and others) to be extremely petty and childish. I don't know how that is even a question. Especially since you find time to complain about being subjected to "passive aggressiveness" in every other post of yours yet constantly drop subliminals about "permanent members". I am not sure why you keep engaging with this community which you clearly have a lot of contempt for.

skysthelimit

Jan 16, 2019
Classier than ever as I can see. Even after a great and fulfilling direct, I see that some of the permanent members of this topic find ways to remain unnecessarily aggressive while I'm having a civil conversation in good faith.
I'm happy that Starfox Racing is probably not a thing because that means Retro has been working on something else, which I hope will be better than a minigame in a game that wasn't great to begin with. Is that petty in your book of pettiness?
To be fair, your attitude towards a game you don't like the idea of not existing being "the brightest timeline" despite many others eagerly anticipating it doesn't exactly exude class.

El Pescado

Oct 26, 2017
I can't believe the amount of first party Nintendo games we know about coming this year and it's only February. We've got Yoshi's Crafted World, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Link's Awakening, and BoxBoy, all incoming this year and I'm not even counting things like Astral Chain, Daemon x Machina, DQB2, or DQXI.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Do you think Nintendo would give Ubisoft the green light to have a racing mini-game in Starlink when they have to sell a "proper" Star Fox racing game? I wrote "pretty much" because they didn't officially comment on it (and probably never will) but this places the likelihood of SFGP existing close to zero for me.

Yes. I do. And Nintendo doesn't Greenlight Starlink content except when it comes to Star Fox franchise.

Do we know that the racing is exclusive to Nintendo Switch version of the game?

And even if it is. I still do Nintendo would allow them to do this. It would be great way to get people interested in the idea and concept.

I can't believe the amount of first party Nintendo games we know about coming this year and it's only February. We've got Yoshi's Crafted World, Animal Crossing, Super Mario Maker 2, Luigi's Mansion 3, Fire Emblem, Pokemon, Link's Awakening, and BoxBoy, all incoming this year and I'm not even counting things like Astral Chain, Daemon x Machina, DQB2, or DQXI.
Yes... but Boxboy is just eShop
and... Yoshi and Fire Emblem were 2018 titles
aND... DQB2 and DQXI are already out in Japan on other consoles

AND.. AND:... You know...

Last edited:

DecoReturns

Oct 27, 2017
Not gonna lie. I thought Astral Chain was a Xenoblade X sequel. Until I saw the fighting and thought, "nah looks Platinum esque".

Glad I was wrong since new IP is more awesome.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
To be fair, your attitude towards a game you don't like the idea of not existing being "the brightest timeline" despite many others eagerly anticipating it doesn't exactly exude class.

So basically, I'm not allowed to be happy (and voice it) that Retro, one of the developer which I love for releasing one the best if not the best 2D plateform games of all time, is most probably doing something different than a game I had no interest in? You guys are seriously special haha. It's certainly not going to stop me from saying that:
1) This Direct was awesome
2) I'm glad that Starfox Racing is probably (I emphasize probably) not a thing and that Retro has been working on something else.
So yeah, brightest timeline for me.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. I do. And Nintendo doesn't Greenlight Starlink content except when it comes to Star Fox franchise.

Do we know that the racing is exclusive to Nintendo Switch version of the game?

And even if it is. I still do Nintendo would allow them to do this. It would be great way to get people interested in the idea and concept.

From what we know, Nintendo is extremely controlling how and in what context they allow their characters to be shown but you're right, the racing mini game is supposedly not exclusive to the Switch version so I could see how we ended up here. I still believe that it would be too much of a coincidence that Starlink gets a racing mode while Nintendo works on Star Fox GP so we're gonna have to agree to disagree.

Velezcora

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Nov 16, 2017
Do people still believe Pokemon will make it this year? I have a feeling it will more likely be next year.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
From what we know, Nintendo is extremely controlling how and in what context they allow their characters to be shown but you're right, the racing mini game is supposedly not exclusive to the Switch version so I could see how we ended up here. I still believe that it would be too much of a coincidence that Starlink gets a racing mode while Nintendo works on Star Fox GP so we're gonna have to agree to disagree.
Yes. And us disagreeing on means pretty much that the thing is still up in the air and not confirmed to be inexistant.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yes. And us disagreeing on means pretty much that the thing is still up in the air and not confirmed to be inexistant.

I said that the new Starlink footage "pretty much" confirms it. You're allowed to disagree with that. I am not treating it as an official confirmation but to me Star Fox Grand Prix is dead as of now. Would love to be wrong though.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Do people still believe Pokemon will make it this year? I have a feeling it will more likely be next year.
You should consider that Pokémon is a massive multimedia franchise. They don't delay those games lightly, and evidence for such an event will be all around you: the anime must be adapted to stretch the current generation, merchandise needs to be pulled back and replaced with other lines, just to name two major ones. None of that has been noted, so there's no indication that the game will be delayed.

It's only February, and the game is poised to launch in November, so there's ample time to announce it. I do expect the announcement before the end of March myself, but even an announcement in April is not impossible.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
To quote what I said elsewhere...
  1. When was the last time in recent memory that a Pokémon game got delayed?
  2. Gen 8 has been in development since before Let's Go started (the latter was spawned after GO's release, if I recall correctly).
  3. As mentioned by the others, the Sun/Moon anime is on its last legs.
So yeah, I do believe Gen 8 will be out this year. They weren't gonna reveal Gen 8 in this past Direct anyway, as The Pokémon Company typically does the initial reveal on their own terms (be it a separate Pokémon Direct or an entire press conference).

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
How long ago would they have been working on this new dlc for Starlink though because I'm pretty sure some insiders heard about the Starfox GP by Retro since 2017.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
It will release this year, Pokemon games don't usually get delayed because it affects the toys/anime too.
You should consider that Pokémon is a massive multimedia franchise. They don't delay those games lightly, and evidence for such an event will be all around you: the anime must be adapted to stretch the current generation, merchandise needs to be pulled back and replaced with other lines, just to name two major ones. None of that has been noted, so there's no indication that the game will be delayed.

It's only February, and the game is poised to launch in November, so there's ample time to announce it. I do expect the announcement before the end of March myself, but even an announcement in April is not impossible.
To quote what I said elsewhere...
  1. When was the last time in recent memory that a Pokémon game got delayed?
  2. Gen 8 has been in development since before Let's Go started (the latter was spawned after GO's release, if I recall correctly).
  3. As mentioned by the others, the Sun/Moon anime is on its last legs.
So yeah, I do believe Gen 8 will be out this year. They weren't gonna reveal Gen 8 in this past Direct anyway, as The Pokémon Company typically does the initial reveal on their own terms (be it a separate Pokémon Direct or an entire press conference).

Good point. Was next-gen Pokemon officially confirmed for this year? I was under the impression that it hadn't been given a solid year yet.

Neoxon

Spotlighting Black Excellence - Diversity Analyst
Oct 25, 2017
Houston, TX
Good point. Was next-gen Pokemon officially confirmed for this year? I was under the impression that it hadn't been given a solid year yet.
The Pokémon Company specifically said Late 2019 for Gen 8 at the press conference that revealed Let's Go. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Pokémon Direct before the end of April (I'm expecting Gen 8 to be revealed before the Detective Pikachu movie comes out).

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
I'm feeling pretty confident we'll get our first look at the Pokémon Generation 8 games at the end of the month.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK
I feel pretty confident Pokemon Day will not be utilised to announce the new Pokemon games.

I think Animal Crossing news is next, in March.

Pokemon news will come in April.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I'm feeling pretty confident we'll get our first look at the Pokémon Generation 8 games at the end of the month.
Me too, the curious Q&A presence of Treehouse is one indication that they might have some major new game to show. They normally don't have those.

In addition, new gen games typically don't wait until May/June for the unveil, considering they need to market many dozens of new Pokémon from reveal to release.

Velezcora

Banned
Nov 16, 2017
The Pokémon Company specifically said Late 2019 for Gen 8 at the press conference that revealed Let's Go. I wouldn't be surprised if we got a Pokémon Direct before the end of April (I'm expecting Gen 8 to be revealed before the Detective Pikachu movie comes out).
H2 2019 then late 2019.

It's coming before Black Friday like always.
Yes, it was confirmed for 2019:

Cool. I can look forward to it now instead of being overly cautious. lol

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
How long ago would they have been working on this new dlc for Starlink though because I'm pretty sure some insiders heard about the Starfox GP by Retro since 2017.

Yeah this is my big question too. With the way game development works though I would not at all be surprised that they at least had the racing concept from the DLC up and running in 2017. Maybe not ready to ship with the rest of the game but still in a showable state.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK

So, as a possible scenario... (and as you know from our earlier exchanges, I really hope this is wrong).

2014 Retro working on Star Fox.
2016 Star Fox is terminated due to development hell.
2016 Nintendo internally green light Metroid Prime 4
2016 Retro working on Metroid Prime Trilogy HD.
2017 Metroid Prime 4 announced, developed by Namco Bandai
2017 Retro salvage part(s) of their Star Fox game and it gets fed into Starlink.
2018 Metroid Prime 4 is in development hell.
2018 Retro completes Metroid Prime Trilogy HD, and also creates a "Here's how we'd do MP4"
2018 Nintendo impressed by Metroid Prime Trilogy and the "Here's how we'd do MP4".
2019 Metroid Prime 4 is rebooted with Retro at the helm.
2019 Metroid Prime Trilogy HD launched, developed by Retro.

To be clear, development hell is an exaggeration. Sometimes a game just doesn't work. If Retro felt there were decent elements, but not a complete game, then I absolutely believe they would be proactive with it (like they clearly were proactive with MP4 too) and put forward a business case for its inclusion in Starlink.

Last edited:

Momo

Oct 25, 2017
Me too, the curious Q&A presence of Treehouse is one indication that they might have some major new game to show. They normally don't have those.

In addition, new gen games typically don't wait until May/June for the unveil, considering they need to market many dozens of new Pokémon from reveal to release.

Do you think there'll be just a title reveal?There are several days worth of Q&A after Pokémon Day. Based on that, I feel we'll get a X/Y reveal scenario (game titles, gameplay footage, starters, and mascot Pokémon) this time around.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Do you think there'll be just a title reveal?There are several days worth of Q&A after Pokémon Day. Based on that, I feel we'll get a X/Y reveal scenario (game titles, gameplay footage, starters, and mascot Pokémon) this time around.
Yeah, I don't expect them to announce a title only. It's not like it's a game that wasn't announced before, so a title reveal would be rather tone-deaf imo. I expect a bigger reveal than that, with some gameplay footage at the very least.

nocdaes

Dec 6, 2018
UK

Call me a pessimist... but I'm thinking that might be a new Labo kit related event.

Status
Not open for further replies.