• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I wont even call the 1st half weak. Q1 was despite some good games but Q2 has a packed April and Mario Maker (+CTR) in June.

I wouldn't be surprised if some 3rd party games would make it to May. (+ a Pokemon spin-off ?)

The way I see it right now is that they only have one soft month (May) from Q2 to Q4.

ThisIsBlitz21

Oct 22, 2018
So, are we gonna get an April direct or is it straight to E3 from here?
Here's my prediction:
- Nindies presentation in March
- Pokemon Direct in April
- Fire Emblem Direct in May
- E3 in June

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Yeah I'm assuming the game that the former Retro employee is talking about was the late 2013 game Retro confirmed.

I say this because the Retro employee who still work at Retro has the following listed on his LinkedIn profile.

Several years can be seen as close to 3 years. The former employee on Twitter said he left in August 2015 and Retro could only handle one game. I doubt the "current project" from the LinkedIn profile is the same game as the former Retro employee was talking about on his Twitter.

Former Retro Employee on Twitter- game he's talking about started late 2013 and probably had development issues or you'd think that game would be out by now

During his time or sometime after he left (former Retro employee on Twitter)- "current project (it's still a secret)" began. So this could be sometime late 2015 or early 2016 this second project began.

So, Jon Verrall, was a hired contractor and he was hired by Retro from August 2016 - June 2018. He was the writer for "unannounced AAA game" at Retro. I'm assuming they brought him in to do the writing for "current project (it's still a secret)" because it was far enough along and he was needed. Whatever this game is I believe is still going or nearly done by Retro.

Sorry, if what I wrote was confusing lol.

Here's hoping this was how it went and we are eventually able to see that game.

Moltres006

Banned
Jan 5, 2019
Here's my prediction:
- E3 in June
There should be some sort of smash direct in late March or early april showing off joker, providing more info on update 3.0 and maybe revealing another character.

Twister

Feb 11, 2019
Here's my prediction:
- E3 in June
No way they wait until April for Pokémon, they've never shown a new Gen later than Pokémon Day since they started doing worldwide simultaneous releases. Of course, they could do things differently this year, but I highly doubt that. I think the following is likely:

- Pokemon Direct late Feb/early March
- Nintendo Direct Mini in April or a Smash Direct (Smash 3.0, Joker dropped, new Smash character, Animal Crossing/Luigi's Mansion tease for E3, Fire Emblem info, Mario Maker 2 marketing push)
- E3 mid-June
- Fire Emblem Direct late June/early July

KtotheRoc

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Here's my prediction:
- E3 in June

Probably a dedicated Smash Direct to show off Joker, announce the new modes, and reveal DLC Character Pack 2. Should come in March or April.

olobolger

Oct 31, 2017
Andalusia
Guys...

This guy...

Leaked the Direct and no one noticed. Wth

Read his tweets https://twitter.com/muguwus

With no followers and the way it's assembled he/she could have written hundreds of tweets on those days with info from different places no matter how crazy they were (Resetera, Vergeben, Liam Robertson, LeakyPandy…), and then deleted the not happenning ones when the Direct aired.

Last edited:

Altered

Oct 25, 2017
I think the next directs up until e3 will be dedicated ones. Pokémon and Mario kart tour springs to mind.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
With no followers and the way it's assembled he/she could have written hundreds of tweets on those days with info from different places no matter how crazy they were (Resetera, Vergeben, Liam Robertson, LeakyPandy…), and then deleted the not happenning ones when the Direct aired.
I'd be willing to go with this reasoning as well.

Charamiwa

Oct 25, 2017
I like that DQ11S is being pushed so much but man is it ironic that it's releasing during the most stacked Nintendo Fall maybe ever when they had the whole 1st half of the year to themselves. This game might be cursed.

Gay Bowser

Oct 30, 2017
I like that DQ11S is being pushed so much but man is it ironic that it's releasing during the most stacked Nintendo Fall maybe ever when they had the whole 1st half of the year to themselves. This game might be cursed.

I could easily see DQ XI S releasing on, say, September 7 in Japan and September 13 in NA/EU, with AC a few weeks later and LM3/Pokémon/Zelda following. I don't think they'll drop it, like, a week before Zelda and a week after Pokémon. September-December is four months; that's plenty of time to release five big games.

If anything, I'd worry about Astral Chain being overshadowed.

BlakeCarr

Feb 4, 2019
I could see there being an eShop shadow drop in early March to try and ring every last drop they can before their fiscal year end. Could be paired with a mini Direct around the time, but I can't see them not putting SOMETHING out until Yoshi, given their hardware sales goals.

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
I could see there being an eShop shadow drop in early March to try and ring every last drop they can before their fiscal year end. Could be paired with a mini Direct around the time, but I can't see them not putting SOMETHING out until Yoshi, given their hardware sales goals.
Their hardware sales goals are 17M, and they are going to blow past that since they were at 14.49M as of the end of december.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Nintendo's Treehouse is going to be so much fun to watch this year. Probably the best year ever. And coming off of last year, which I would argue was the worst ever, I'm glad.

-Super Mario Maker 2
-Links Awakening
-Luigi's Mansion 3
-Pokemon gen 8
-Animal Crossing
-Astral Chain
-Daemon X Machina
-Fire Emblem Three Houses
-Marvel Ultimate Alliance 3
-DQB2
-DQXI
-not counting what new is announced

LukasManak22

Jan 10, 2018
So what will be their focus game at this E3? I would say Animal Crossing or Luigi's Mansion 3 but i don't think that is the case.

Mar 23, 2018
There's no way they are releasing both Pokémon and Animal Crossing in november, right? Both franchises really like november releases but that seems way overkill.

PillFencer

Banned
Nov 15, 2018
So, about PlatinumGames, I thought a recap would be a good idea (some Cygames/Activision/Dena games are missing, but they're not needed in this post)

February 2013: Saito (Director) and Taura (Game Designer) release MGR:R with Konami
August 2013: Kamiya (Director) and Shibata (Lead Game Designer) release TW101 with Nintendo
June 2014: Kamiya (Director) reveals Scalebound at e3 with Microsoft
October 2014: Hashimoto (Director) releases Bayonetta 2 with Nintendo
June 2015: Saito (Director) and Shibata (Lead Game Designer) reveal Transformers: Devastation with Activision
Taura (Game Designer) reveals NieR: Automata with Square Enix
Hashimoto (Director) reveals Star Fox Zero with Nintendo
October 2015: Transformers: Devastation launch
April 2016: Star Fox Zero launch
August 2016: Saito (Game Designer) reveals Granblue Fantasy: Relink with Cygames
January 2017: Scalebound is cancelled
February 2017: NieR: Automata launch
December 2017: Bayonetta 3 reveal with Nintendo, Hashimoto Director?
May 2018: Kamiya and Inaba claim that PlatinumGames is working on top secret project that will "turn the Action Genre on its head"
June 2018: Babylon's Fall reveal with Square Enix
February 2019: Contract ended with Cygames, no longer involved with Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Hashimoto leaves PlatinumGames, Bayonetta 3 still in development​
Taura (Director) reveals Astral Chain with Nintendo
August 2019: Astral Chain launch

The top secret project and the Kamiya directed game Imran heard about are likely the same game. I don't think it will get cancelled because of Hashimoto leaving and Bayonetta 3 needing a new Director tho, as either Saito or Shibata can take care of this. However we still don't know who is directing Babylon's Fall. I think we'll see:
Astral Chain (Taura / Nintendo)
Babylon's Fall (Saito / Square Enix)
Bayonetta 3 (Shibata / Nintendo)
Top Secret Project (Kamiya / Nintendo)

And then, outside of the 2 small indie games Inaba mentioned, it's safe to assume they don't have anything else... right...? Don't tell me they're also making NieR 3 lol

Harpoon

Oct 27, 2017
So, about PlatinumGames, I thought a recap would be a good idea (some Cygames/Activision/Dena games are missing, but they're not needed in this post)

February 2013: Saito (Director) and Taura (Game Designer) release MGR:R with Konami
August 2013: Kamiya (Director) and Shibata (Lead Game Designer) release TW101 with Nintendo
June 2014: Kamiya (Director) reveals Scalebound at e3 with Microsoft
October 2014: Hashimoto (Director) releases Bayonetta 2 with Nintendo
June 2015: Saito (Director) and Shibata (Lead Game Designer) reveal Transformers: Devastation with Activision
Taura (Game Designer) reveals NieR: Automata with Square Enix
Hashimoto (Director) reveals Star Fox Zero with Nintendo
October 2015: Transformers: Devastation launch
April 2016: Star Fox Zero launch
August 2016: Saito (Game Designer) reveals Granblue Fantasy: Relink with Cygames
January 2017: Scalebound is cancelled
February 2017: NieR: Automata launch
December 2017: Bayonetta 3 reveal with Nintendo, Hashimoto Director?
May 2018: Kamiya and Inaba claim that PlatinumGames is working on top secret project that will "turn the Action Genre on its head"
June 2018: Babylon's Fall reveal with Square Enix
February 2019: Contract ended with Cygames, no longer involved with Granblue Fantasy: Relink
Hashimoto leaves PlatinumGames, Bayonetta 3 still in development​
Taura (Director) reveals Astral Chain with Nintendo
August 2019: Astral Chain launch

The top secret project and the Kamiya directed game Imran heard about are likely the same game. I don't think it will get cancelled because of Hashimoto leaving and Bayonetta 3 needing a new Director tho, as either Saito or Shibata can take care of this. However we still don't know who is directing Babylon's Fall. I think we'll see:
Astral Chain (Taura / Nintendo)
Babylon's Fall (Saito / Square Enix)
Bayonetta 3 (Shibata / Nintendo)
Top Secret Project (Kamiya / Nintendo)

And then, outside of the 2 small indie games Inaba mentioned, it's safe to assume they don't have anything else... right...? Don't tell me they're also making NieR 3 lol

If we're going off what insiders have said , Ehoavash claimed earlier Kamiya's big project is Astral Chain and he's probably not directing anything, FYI.

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
One of the most exciting things to come from the Direct is indirect confirmation that a 3D Zelda is planned for next year. All of Zell's other predictions have been panning out, which gives me great hope that a BOTW follow-up will be a marquee title for next year. Hoping for something really unique and fresh, in the ALTTP --> LA and OOT --> MM tradition.

BlakeCarr

Feb 4, 2019
Their hardware sales goals are 17M, and they are going to blow past that since they were at 14.49M as of the end of december.

Their original goal was 20M, they lowered it to 17M. If there's even a chance they could meet their previous goal, they're going to push for it. Nothing has really been released since December that would move systems - NSMBUDX (wow) isn't something that incentivizes people to buy a Switch, and that's been their biggest release in this quarter thus far.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
One of the most exciting things to come from the Direct is indirect confirmation that a 3D Zelda is planned for next year. All of Zell's other predictions have been panning out, which gives me great hope that a BOTW follow-up will be a marquee title for next year. Hoping for something really unique and fresh, in the ALTTP --> LA and OOT --> MM tradition.

That's something I haven't thought about and you're absolutely right, that's extremely exciting!

Zedark

Oct 25, 2017
The Netherlands
Their original goal was 20M, they lowered it to 17M. If there's even a chance they could meet their previous goal, they're going to push for it. Nothing has really been released since December that would move systems - NSMBUDX (wow) isn't something that incentivizes people to buy a Switch, and that's been their biggest release in this quarter thus far.
That chance isn't there anymore, they can't ship 5.5M in this quarter - that's an insane target to aspire to, being up almost 88%. Reaching a goal they no longer hold themselves to should not be considered a significant factor in their planning imo.

The easy new target (17M) imo is given precisely because they are keeping this quarter light when it comes to major software.

Deleted member 5764

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Right?! I'm just as excited for this year as I was for the Switch's launch year. Knowing that next year might be 2017 part 2 is an even more exciting prospect! I know we don't have rumors about it yet, but I'd fully expect Splatoon 3 in 2020 as well.

MaitreWakou

One Winged Slayer
Avenger
May 15, 2018
Toulouse, France
Yeah I really can't wait for the new 3D Zelda. BOTW is awesome, now that they have the basis, they can go wild and try a shit ton new things with the physics and everything.
I think it's also safe to presume that a new 3D Mario will release for the holyday 2020, which is also awesome. I also expect them to go wild with Odyssey, Galaxy 2 style.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
That's something I haven't thought about and you're absolutely right, that's extremely exciting!
Right?! I'm just as excited for this year as I was for the Switch's launch year. Knowing that next year might be 2017 part 2 is an even more exciting prospect! I know we don't have rumors about it yet, but I'd fully expect Splatoon 3 in 2020 as well.
Guys, take a deep breath. A 3D Zelda could be a BOTW 2, but it could also be a remake or whatever, nobody said this will be a brand new game - just a 3D Zelda, same as for this year we were told 2D Zelda and it wasn't a brand new game.

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
Guys, take a deep breath. A 3D Zelda could be a BOTW 2, but it could be TPHD or whatever, nobody said this will be a brand new game - just a 3D Zekda, same as this year we wee told 2D Zelda and it wasn't a brand new game.

I mean, if it's a full-on remake of a 3D Zelda that's still incredibly exciting to me. The only way it could be a downer is if it's just a remaster. But that would be a port at this stage.

Bonejack

Oct 27, 2017
Next year already for a new 3D Zelda? While i'd like them to take their sweet time to deliver some evolution/revolution like BotW, i'm fine with a polished up BotW-style game.

But the next one has to be a shift again like BotW was to the previous 3D games.

Deleted member 32018

Banned
Nov 8, 2017
Guys, take a deep breath. A 3D Zelda could be a BOTW 2, but it could also be a remake or whatever, nobody said this will be a brand new game - just a 3D Zelda, same as for this year we were told 2D Zelda and it wasn't a brand new game.

Zell hinted that it could have something to do with BotW. Of course plans change/things can be lost in translation so it's not 100%, but here you go:

And guys, if you liked BOTW you will like next year ..... and am out

Deleted member 5764

Banned
Oct 25, 2017

Never!

Naw, I'm not in the camp that fully expects BoTW2. I'd be happy with any 3D Mario and Zelda games, new or remake. You can't kill my excitement!

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Individual circumstances in the last three years have led to Nintendo having major "spotlight games" at E3. I don't think that means they will always do that, just when it fits their lineup and announcement plans. For example, I think this year there will be a broader focus on a lot of games, like Zelda, Mario Maker, AC, Luigis Mansion, FE etc. The circumstances this year lead to a different approach.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Individual circumstances in the last three years have led to Nintendo having major "spotlight games" at E3. I don't think that means they will always do that, just when it fits their lineup and announcement plans. For example, I think this year there will be a broader focus on a lot of games, like Zelda, Mario Maker, AC, Luigis Mansion, FE etc. The circumstances this year lead to a different approach.
Yeah Reggie has said this + idk why people are forgetting the 20 years or so Nintendo has been going to E3 prior to 2016....

Archduke Kong

Feb 2, 2019

Full 3D remake of Legend of Zelda II: The Adventure of Link confirmed!

I don't think another remake is out of the question, but it would feel a little redundant to do one Zelda remake a year before another, so I feel like a Sequel to BOTW or a remaster of Skyward Sword is more likely.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I don't really have any opinion on the next Direct, for obvious reasons... buuut...

I find it suspicious how relatively empty April and May are in terms of Nintendo published software while H2 is already looking super stacked. The delay of Fire Emblem definitely left a hole there and it's a bit strange to me that they haven't moved anything to fill it (so far). If we believe Emily, zell and co. (and I see no reason not to), there are several games unaccounted for:

Labo Kit 04
Emily has repeatedly said that this might drop as early as April. The Vehicle Kit had only 2 months between announcement and release so I can see the same happen here and the kit still making the first half of the year. The announcement for this can be dropped whenever.

Metroid Prime Trilogy
This seems to be in a bit of a weird state with how its showing was delayed twice (according to info by Imran and zell) so I'm not counting out the possibility that it's being held back for a 2020 release.

Pikmin 3
I don't know why this isn't appearing in the first half (yet?). It seems like the logical thing to place in a calmer period where it isn't overshadowed by other, new software. I still expect it to pop up in H1, potentially May.

Emily's potential Wii U port #2
She didn't sound very confident about this one and it seems plausible that this, even if it exists, could be held back for next year. There's probably no need for it either. H1 could become too port heavy, H2 is too busy. I wonder what this could be, though. (Fingers crossed for Wonderful 101.)

Emily's Mystery eShop game #3
Just speculating but I wouldn't be surprised if this is another NSO exclusive game like Tetris 99. Emily hinted at lots of NSO exclusive content this year and it probably makes more sense for Nintendo to work on stuff like this rather than to directly compete with indie developers, Box Boy + Box Girl notwithstanding.

Emily's Mystery Switch game #4
This is the most interesting one because she sounded very certain about it coming out this year. The three other mystery Switch games were Mario Maker 2, Link's Awakening and Astral Chain. What is curious to me, and I might be overthinking it, is that we have a very full H2 and we're only in February. Pokémon will be officially shown soon and I have a hard time believing that they would go into E3 without a single new game for 2019.

Status
Not open for further replies.