• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Guys

It's the Icarus gritty reboot of the Wii era

kid-icarus-wii-prototype01.jpg

Or Eternal Darkness 2/Shadow of the Eternals

Deleted member 51691

User requested account closure
Banned
Jan 6, 2019
Nintendo reviving something like Silent Hills or Scalebound would make the Bayonetta 2 reaction look reasonable in comparison.
Sony internet would be up in flames over a Silent Hills revival by Nintendo. I think Xbox One owners would be fine with Scalebound, though. The core Xbox fanbase wasn't really looking forward to it that much, anyway. Scalebound was an attempt by Microsoft to broaden the Xbox audience to fans of Japanese games.

Boomasoona

Feb 3, 2019
Yep. Liam Robertson jumped on the Microsoft X Nintendo train a week or so ago. Maybe a joint revival of Scalebound for Switch, XB1/next-gen Xbox, and PC will be announced at E3.

That could fit as well, but Kojima is close to Sony, so I would expect SIE to be reviving Silent Hills, not Nintendo. Then again, Imran said the revival would be unexpected...
Remember the Silent Hill franchise is owned completely by Konami so Kojima has nothing to do with a revival. I could easily see Nintendo doing the same thing they did with Bomberman and asking Konami for this. It would fill a pretty big gap in the Switch library. They could easily scrap whatever Kojima did but still call it Silent Hills. Whatever this game is I suspect E3 makes the most sense for a reveal.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
I've no idea but from Googling could it be Baiten Kaitos?
The third game was cancelled, but they only talked about it years after the fact, so I don't know if counts as publicly cancelled. (A fourth Golden Sun was never announced either.)

Well, there's always Jack and Beans or Kimba the White Lion.

Last edited:

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
The third game was cancelled, but they only talked about it years after the fact, so I don't know if counts as publicly cancelled. (A Golden Sun 4 was never announced either)

The problem is how do you define publicly cancelled? Other than Project HAMMER, the only other games I can think of that fit the criteria are Metroid 64, Super Paper Mario Gamecube, Earthbound 64 and that weird Wii U robot game https://www.eurogamer.net/articles/...u-game-project-giant-robot-has-been-cancelled

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Not sure if this has been posted yet, but Imran mentioned on the Kinda Funny Gamescast that Nintendo is reviving a game that was "thought to be dead," that was "very publicly cancelled." I honestly have no idea at what this could be, unless it's Project HAMMER back from the graveyard.
Could be time for Metroid Dread to finally return. Wouldn't be surprised at all if Mercury Steam are already hard at work on that one.

John Omaha

Oct 25, 2017
The Phantom Dust reboot makes its glorious return with Yukio Futatsugi at the helm. I would shit bricks since a proper sequel/spiritual successor to that game is one of my gaming holy grails.

On a more serious note, it's probably Scalebound or Silent Hills. Nintendo has a history of funding Platinum action games and survival horror.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
Actually, Metroid Dread aka Metroid 5 makes a lot of sense. Samus Returns by Mercury Steam got leaked subtley before reveal so another leak from them seems logical especially since I believe Sakamoto already suggested that they would possibly continue with a new 2d game. So that adds up. Could explain how this supposed game got leaked without widespread news Tories just like Samus Returns

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Nintendo reviving something like Silent Hills or Scalebound would make the Bayonetta 2 reaction look reasonable in comparison.
Silent Hills thread would make Bayonetta 2 reveal look tame.

For Scalebound however, such reactions would be more muted. A lot of people on ERA (well GAF) didn't like what they were shown back then and quite a few system warrior types who don't care about Nintendo would actually welcome this development for an opportunity to get some digs in at Microsoft.

SMD

Oct 28, 2017
Actually, Metroid Dread aka Metroid 5 makes a lot of sense. Samus Returns by Mercury Steam got leaked subtley before reveal so another leak from them seems logical especially since I believe Sakamoto already suggested that they would possibly continue with a new 2d game. So that adds up. Could explain how this supposed game got leaked without widespread news Tories just like Samus Returns

Was it ever announced so it could be cancelled though?

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
If being mentioned in a bit of optional text in MP3, then never being mentioned again counts as being "very publicly cancelled," then people's perceptions are rather skewed by the Metroid speculation bubble.

Chalphy

One Winged Slayer
Oct 27, 2017
Assuming it's true, it's probably a third party partnership like Devil's Third and Bayonetta 2 were. Not an internal game.

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
Was it ever announced so it could be cancelled though?
Metroid Dread did show up on Nintendo's official release lists once or twice. We also got some official closure on it during a Metoid: Other M related interview with Sakamoto, where he basically said that the project had gotten shelved so he could work on Other M, but that it wasn't impossible for it to get started back up at some point in the future.
If being mentioned in a bit of optional text in MP3, then never being mentioned again counts as being "very publicly cancelled," then people's perceptions are rather skewed by the Metroid speculation bubble.
See above. This wasn't some baseless rumor. We had official word from Nintendo of its existence.

Wombat_Lover

Attempted to circumvent ban with alt account
Banned
Jan 20, 2019
Has a situation like Scalebound being rebooted by Nintendo ever happened before? MS owns all the rights to the game and the assets. Not to mention it ran like ass on Xbox so even if Nintendo somehow revived the project it would have to be seriously reworked. I can't imagine it being worth the effort when they can just fund another original Platinum ip like Astral Chain. It has to be Megaman Legends 3.

Let's say Nintendo did buy the ip and assets. Nintendo would most likely let Platinum make it how it was originally pitched.

Prof Bathtub

Apr 26, 2018
See above. This wasn't some baseless rumor. We had official word from Nintendo of its existence.

I'm still of the opinion that Imran Kahn could mean Metroid, but his definition of very publicly cancelled could be different from another person's. In any case, another 2D Metroid game is likely, so any game would probably qualify as a revival of that project, whether explicitly or indirectly.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
We have some evidence of Zelda for 2020 and I would say 3 years should be enough time to develop a new 3D Mario if they use the existing Odyssey base. I also wonder if Yabuki and his team or the directors of Splatoon will attempt a new IP again, both were quite successful and seem to have loved working in those games.

What would be your bet if they go for a Splatoon Spin-Off? I'm personally split between RPG or some kind of rhythm game.

For a spin off, I would have bet an XCOM like game but Mario already did it. So I have no idea, really; both RPG or rythm game could be nice and for a rpg, exploring inkopolis would certainly appeal to the Splatoon community. The game has quite a deep lore. A spin off sounds like a good idea, but the solo modes are so good in both Splatoon and in the octo expansion (best Nintendo release in 2018 in my opinion) that they could also just release Splatoon 3 and follow by another expansion with a beefy solo mode.
As for a new IP, I also hope that we'll see something on switch. They did it on a failed console, it would be a shame not to do it on a very successful one. ARMS was nice but much smaller in scope than splatoon. Like Splatoon with the online shooting games, a Nintendo all stars MOBA would certainly have my interest and I don't even like MOBAs; but I'm sure they would find a twist to the formula to make it appealing.

It's honestly not in Nintendo's interest to release all those games in one year. I know we got BotW, MK8D, Splatoon 2 and SMO all in 2017, but I think the circumstances there were very different — Nintendo needed the Switch to be a success and fast, and they already had multiple games that started development on Wii U that were pushed back for more appealing hardware.
When I made that guess, I also guessed a switch pro and Nintendo trying to go the iterative way with their hardware rather than having real console generations. In that context, having a new entry in their major series every 3-4 years could make sense.
But yeah one of these games could get pushed to 2021, and surprisingly I could imagine it being Mario. While selling more than Zelda it felt that the new Mario was, in a sense, slightly overshadowed in its deserved glory by releasing the same year as arguably the greatest game of all times, or at least of the generation. I know both are totally different, but we couldn't help making comparisons between both. I could see the next Zelda being 2020, and the next Mario 2021.
But my general opinion is that console generations are dead for Nintendo and they will just expand the switch family for the next 10 years. They have a really good thing going on with the switch and little to no competition in that market until Sony or Microsoft sees the light and realize that hybrid consoles are the real future (that is, never; and their public wouldn't like it anyway).

Last edited:

Pokemaniac

Oct 25, 2017
I'm still of the opinion that Imran Kahn could mean Metroid, but his definition of very publicly cancelled could be different from another person's. In any case, another 2D Metroid game is likely, so any game would probably qualify as a revival of that project, whether explicitly or indirectly.
I bring it up mainly because Sakamoto has been super open in interviews about how it was definitely a thing but was cancelled, but I'll admit it's kind of questionable since that's mostly from him and not Nintendo as a company.

Mory Dunz

Oct 25, 2017
an officially cancelled game being revived?

Got nothing really.

Donkey Kong Racing. But barrel blast still came out so eh.

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
Put me down for Silent Hill. In fact, put me down for there being quite a few unannounced Komani games. Including some ports.

Just a guess/feeling but my gut is telling me that this feel right.

ChunkyChowder

Oct 25, 2017
Let's say Nintendo did buy the ip and assets. Nintendo would most likely let Platinum make it how it was originally pitched.

I just can't see Nintendo going through the trouble and MS wanting to sell unless the game also releases on their platform. Nintendo can garner goodwill as well as avoid legal and technical hurdles by continuing to publish original PG games for Switch. I also feel MS would rather keep Scalebound dead forever instead of selling it off. The bad PR from such a deal wouldn't be worth it to them.

Pooroomoo

Oct 28, 2017
Can Shadow of the Eternals (which had a kickstarter) be considered to have been publicly announced and cancelled?

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Scalebound makes sense to be revived. It's a current gen game where a significant part of the grunt work is already done, so there will be a lot to salvage. It was an ambitious project which cancellation made a lot of noise in the community, the corpse isn't cold yet. If Nintendo and Microsoft really have a good relationship (and that'd be a good thing for me, I'm negatively biased against Sony for many reasons), reviving scalebound would be really great. Maybe as the first switch pro exclusive game? (Now that's reaching!)

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
Scalebound makes sense to be revived. It's a current gen game where a significant part of the grunt work is already done, so there will be a lot to salvage. It was an ambitious project which cancellation made a lot of noise in the community, the corpse isn't cold yet. If Nintendo and Microsoft really have a good relationship (and that'd be a good thing for me, I'm negatively biased against Sony for many reasons), reviving scalebound would be really great. Maybe as the first switch pro exclusive game? (Now that's reaching!)
Can Switch handle the Scalebound work that was done?

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
My left field (joke) suggestion for what the cancelled game could be was Prey 2 by Human Head, since they had entered talks a while back but that would obviously never happen.

I think the most likely outcome is that it's something that was cancelled rather "recently" and by a Japanese dev/publisher so Cry On by Mistwalker definitely fits the bill. Both Cavia and AQ Interactive are part of Marvelous and they seem to be very close to Nintendo recently. Or maybe something lower profile like Bumpy Trot/Steambot Chronicles 2 or Strelka Stories.

I find Silent Hills particularly unlikely because of Kojima's departure from Konami. Without Kojima and KojiPro, could it really be considered a revival? Not that I really believe Nintendo working with Konami is a particularly fruitful endeavour with the latter being barely interested in traditional game development. I was thinking about Coded Arms Assault ,which was supposed to come to the PS3, the other day and the producer for the first one did also co-produce Super Bomberman R so maybe they got to talk with Nintendo. But again, extremely unlikely.

Scalebound just feels like a legal minefield here. I could see them going to the original concept they had on the Wii and work from there but I think it would have so little to do with what Scalebound was that I'd barely consider a revival.

Mirev

Jun 8, 2018
Wishlist:

1. Scalebound
2. Silent Hill
3. Project Hammer
4. Mega Man Legends 3

Really hoping it's the first one. I bought a Xbox for it some years ago and was sad see it cancelled..

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Can Switch handle the Scalebound work that was done?
That'd be irrelevant as they'd just remake everything anyway.

The Scalebound idea is waaay too left field as it is. A lot of work when they can easily get new ideas from Platinum (like Astral Chain).

Silent Hill or Mega Man Legends 3 had the most controversy while still being more attainable and have history to their names. There's Project Hammer as well, but no one cared about that.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia
That'd be irrelevant as they'd just remake everything anyway.
I agree that it would be rebooted. I asked this question to Zakatana because he was posing a hypothetical about them moving over their work to switch

Although it seems I overlooked that part about it possibly being a Switch Pro exclusive. I don't think Switch Pro exclusives will ever be a thing, but that is a different topic.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Silent Hills makes the most sense. Another friendly third party covering something Nintendo does and is a big IP in name.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I don't see Metroid Dread as the game he's talking about. He emphasized officially canceled. It just sounded like it was more of a big deal. PT/Silent Hills was a big deal and all over the news. Scalebound was all over the news. The problem with Scalebound is Nintendo going through MS + Nintendo already has Platinum making games for them like Bayonetta 3 and Astral Chain.

Silent Hills, Megaman Legends 3 and Project HAMMER are my top 3.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Emily said there would be some big Switch surprises this year that she hoped weren't spoiled. Guessing this might be one of them.

Status
Not open for further replies.