• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
  • We have made minor adjustments to how the search bar works on ResetEra. You can read about the changes here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017
Might as well jump in with my own, in no particular order

Link's Awakening
Super Mario Maker 2
Pokemon Gen 8
Astral Chain
Dragon Quest XI S
Luigi's Mansion 3

Of course, can't leave out the Smash Fighters Pass either. The DLC might hype me even more than the base roster.

Deleted member 49438

User requested account closure
Banned
Nov 7, 2018
1) Fire Emblem: Three Houses
2) Pokemon Gen 8
3) Astral Chain
4) Daemon X Machina
5) Luigi's Mansion 3

These are the games that I currently feel confident that I will get for Switch this year. There are several others that I am looking at though. I think once I adjust to the art style, Link's Awakening will probably be a joy to play (Day 1 if it's less than $60). Animal Crossing is one that I've never got into, but given that I take my Switch to work every day to play on lunch, Animal Crossing seems like the perfect fit for those moments. If the rumored but not confirmed Metroid Prime Trilogy gets announced, that will be a day 1 for me as well.

Jbone115

Oct 25, 2017
My most anticipated Nintendo-Published games of 2019:

1. Pokémon Generation 8
2. Super Mario Maker 2
3. Luigi's Mansion 3
4. Link's Awakening
5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Honorable Mentions: Astral Chain, Tetris 99, Smash DLC

Third Party-wise, my most anticipated 2019 Switch games are:

1. Dragon Quest XI S
2. Crash Team Racing
3. Shovel Knight DLC
4. Final Fantasy VI
5. Deltarune

Deleted member 5666

user requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My most anticipated Nintendo-Published games of 2019:

1. Pokémon Generation 8
2. Super Mario Maker 2
3. Luigi's Mansion 3
4. Link's Awakening
5. Fire Emblem: Three Houses

Honorable Mentions: Astral Chain, Tetris 99, Smash DLC

Third Party-wise, my most anticipated 2019 Switch games are:

1. Dragon Quest XI S
2. Crash Team Racing
3. Shovel Knight DLC
4. Final Fantasy VI
5. Deltarune
Shouldn't DQ be on the first list seeing how Nintendo is publishing it lol

aiswyda

Aug 11, 2018
Top 5 first party published for me are:
  1. Animal Crossing
  2. FE: 3H
  3. Daemon x Machina
  4. Astral Chain
  5. I guess Pokemon? IDK I'm gonna need something really interesting to want to hop back in after USUM resulted in hardcore burnout.
This is a pretty good year for me as I'm pretty picky with games!

srtrestre

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Looking forward to

1. Super Mario Maker 2
2. Animal Crossing
2. Link's Awakening
2. Pokemon
2. Mystery Game #5

TheSentry42

Nov 2, 2017
I honestly thought Astral Chain only looked ok, but based on what I'm seeing here it apparently really resonated with a lot of people...
I didn't expect that when I first saw the trailer, which is great! I'm glad it has an audience and I hope my mind is changed and it turns out fantastic!

coolcam52

Jan 14, 2019
I honestly thought Astral Chain only looked ok, but based on what I'm seeing here it apparently really resonated with a lot of people...
I didn't expect that when I first saw the trailer, which is great! I'm glad it has an audience and I hope my mind is changed and it turns out fantastic!
Are you a fan of any other Platinum titles? Or any other action games like DMC?

Woylie

May 9, 2018
as long as bloodstained, mario maker, and animal crossing make it this year, 2019 will be amazing for me. worried about AC possibly getting delayed, mostly because of the lack of footage/news and the amount of other first-party stuff with more concrete dates, but it's still early in the year enough for them to have a reveal later.

and tetris 99 is going to be the unexpected dark horse goty contender this year, lol.

Last edited:

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
1. Link's Awakening - I adore the look of this game, I also never played the original. I am worried it might be too short tho...

2. Astral Chain - I was blown away by this trailer, more PG goodness!

3. Fire Emblem: 3 Houses - Looked very different than the 3DS games, but I appreciate that they are trying to do something new with it.

4. Luigi's Mansion 3 - Loved the previous games, hope this one is as good, and has more unique ghosts like the first one.

5. Mario Maker 2 - I hope it has a lot pre- made levels from Nintendo, I am not really a creator, lol.

Phendrift

Oct 25, 2017
1. Link's Awakening. My most wanted remake ever and more Zelda. Can't go wrong.
2. Astral Chain. Not only does the game look amazing, but it's platinum so you can pretty guarantee it WILL be.
3. Luigi's Mansion 3. Excited to see the franchise back on console. Hoping it takes more cues from LM1 in terms of atmosphere.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
It's hard to make a top 5 right now. Several of their games either need to be revealed or rerevealed before I can really say what is going to grab me. Pokemon is a prime example, because that could either be at the top of the list or not even close to the top 5 depending on what it ends up being. LM3 is kind of the same way, initial reveal wasn't great, so I need to see if it looks better in the next showing, and how the game will be structured. As of now the only first party games I care about are Astral Chain, FE, and Link's Awakening. As for Animal Crossing, I had enough of that series with Wild World, it would have to be wildly different for me to be interested. Don't have much interest in Mario Maker either. Hopefully there is a few more good announcements to come for this year, or Pokemon and LM3 knock it out of the park.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Looks like AlphaDream is hiring a production assistant so I assume development for their new (Switch?) game is ramping up.

What I also find curious is that I haven't seen Hiroyuki Kubota (director for Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team) show up in the credits for the two remakes at all. His last credited work was Paper Jam as a co-director. Same with other staff members that haven't done anything since then, like how 4 out of 5 battle designers from Paper Jam didn't work on the remakes either. I find it unlikely that AlphaDream had such a high overturn rate so this certainly supports the idea that they made those remakes "on the side".

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Looks like AlphaDream is hiring a production assistant so I assume development for their new (Switch?) game is ramping up.

What I also find curious is that I haven't seen Hiroyuki Kubota (director for Bowser's Inside Story and Dream Team) show up in the credits for the two remakes at all. His last credited work was Paper Jam as a co-director. Same with other staff members that haven't done anything since then, like how 4 out of 5 battle designers from Paper Jam didn't work on the remakes either. I find it unlikely that AlphaDream had such a high overturn rate so this certainly supports the idea that they made those remakes "on the side".
Yeah, i'm sure AlphaDream moved on to the Switch years ago, while a smaller part of their team worked on the two 3DS remakes.

I'm really curious about the dev cycle of those remakes, and when exactly they were made. They both have fairly strange circumstances surrounding them, as Superstar Saga was completed and uploaded to the eShop servers in April 2017, two months before it was even revealed; while Bowser's Inside Story was already localised during it's first showing in the March 2018 Direct, and was completed before June of that year (as Kimishima was still credited as Executive Producer).

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
Yeah, i'm sure AlphaDream moved on to the Switch years ago, while a smaller part of their team worked on the two 3DS remakes.

I'm really curious about the dev cycle of those remakes, and when exactly they were made. They both have fairly strange circumstances surrounding them, as Superstar Saga was completed and uploaded to the eShop servers in April 2017, two months before it was even revealed; while Bowser's Inside Story was already localised during it's first showing in the March 2018 Direct, and was completed before June of that year (as Kimishima was still credited as Executive Producer).

Someone in this thread (I don't remember their name) suggested weeks ago that both were made and finished pretty much concurrently back in 2017 which would make a lot of sense, especially now that we have access to the credits of BiS. Paper Jam came out in later 2015 so I wouldn't be surprised if we catch a first glimpse of their next project by the end of the year.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Someone in this thread (I don't remember their name) suggested weeks ago that both were made and finished pretty much concurrently back in 2017 which would make a lot of sense, especially now that we have access to the credits of BiS. Paper Jam came out in later 2015 so I wouldn't be surprised if we catch a first glimpse of their next project by the end of the year.
I wouldn't really be surprised if that was the case. I think we might end up hearing about their Switch project this year, with a 2020 release date. Though, I also think Paper Mario will be set for 2020 too, so I wonder how that'll play out.

BozPaggs

One Winged Slayer
Jan 11, 2019
London, United Kingdom
All day one
1. Link's Awakening
2. Pokemon Gen 8
3. Luigi's Mansion

Really wish I was into Astral Chain but it's just not clicking with me. Hopefully time/more trailers will pique my interest.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Since this is a thing now.

Day ones.

Star Fox GP
Pokémon
Fire Emblem Three houses
Astral Chain (Unless it's somehow horrible)
Pikmin Trilogy
Town

Definitely getting at some point

Mario Maker 2
Link's Awakening
Luigis Mansion 3 (Unless it's horrible)

Maybe, or interest fading

Daemon X Machina (Looked fantastic, Demo was really bad)
Animal Crossing (Was Day one previously, but somehow losing interest)
BoxBoy + BoxGirl (Played the first and third ones. Good, but depends)

Third party games this year for Switch

Final Fantasy VII
Final Fantasy X/X-2
Madden
FIFA (If it's actual FIFA)
DQXI
DQB2 (If Demo convinces me. First one wasn't great)
Probably others, lots of Nindies etc.

Simba1

Dec 5, 2017
Releasing two 2D Mario games with difference between them of just 5 months looks very strange,
IMO that points that some kind of new Mario game is closer than we think, my bet is on SM3DW in Q1 2020.

ReyVGM

Author - NES Endings Compendium
Verified
Oct 26, 2017
Why the heck is everyone doing lists now? Did the thread topic change or something?

Peleo

Nov 2, 2017

Any hints on what they might be working now? If they decide for a new Mario & Luigi I wonder if they will add an optional co-op feature.

nenned

Oct 27, 2017
Any hints on what they might be working now? If they decide for a new Mario & Luigi I wonder if they will add an optional co-op feature.

No idea, but some of their producers are from the old Squaresoft and worked on games in the Mana series, Chrono Trigger, Front Mission, Treasure of Rhudras, Treasure Hunter, Xenogears, and Romancing Saga. I would love to see them try something original while Intelligent Systems works on Paper Mario. Then, Intelligent Systems can try something original while Alpha Dream makes a Mario & Luigi sequel.

Kane

Oct 28, 2017
I think a new Mario & Luigi title is a lock for next year. I wonder how it's going to look, camera will probably be similar to the one in Mario & Rabbids.

Villa

Oct 28, 2017
My likelihood of purchasing this year on Switch:

Link's Awakening - 95%
Animal Crossing - 75%
Mario Maker 2 - 50% (I'm not really a creator/level editor type of person)
Pokemon - 40% (Never played pokemon before, but if this ends up being a reinvention of the series, as rumoured, I may be interested)

If Metroid Prime Trilogy is real and coming this year, that'd be about an 85%. The other games Nintendo have revealed are pretty unlikely purchases for me, not really interested in them. Hoping there will still be at least one or two more surprise 2019 games coming!

Hollow Knight Silksong is the game I'm most looking forward to though, that's a 100%. Who knows when that will release though, could be next year.

Beamerball

Jan 16, 2018
As of now, my top 5 are:

1) Super Mario Maker 2
2) Link's Awakening
3) Captain Toad DLC
4) ?
5) ?

Keeping my options open, still hoping for something in the Wii Sports category this year.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
My top 5 NIntendo published games for the rest of the year:

1. Animal Crossing
2. The Legend of Zelda: Link's Awakening
3. Pokemon Generation VIII
4. Super Mario Maker 2
5. Dragon Quest XI S

9-Volt

Oct 27, 2017
5. Mario Maker 2 - I hope it has a lot pre- made levels from Nintendo, I am not really a creator, lol.

I'm guessing it does not. Nintendo had already one 2D Mario title for this year, I don't think they'd do anything to cannibalize is sales like putting premade levels on Mario Maker. I expect it to be 100% do it yourself and share.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I wouldn't really be surprised if that was the case. I think we might end up hearing about their Switch project this year, with a 2020 release date. Though, I also think Paper Mario will be set for 2020 too, so I wonder how that'll play out.

Yeah, I am not entirely convinced Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi can co-exist on one system. Sales have been declining for both series for various reasons and they need to reevaluate how they want to position them on the Switch. People would riot but I wouldn't be surprised if they lean even harder into the adventure elements of Paper Mario rather to returning to its RPG roots.

Vibed

Avenger
Oct 27, 2017
My top 5 in 2019 are definitely:

1. Super Mario Maker 2
2. Astral Chain
3. Luigi's Mansion 3
4. Animal Crossing
5. Link's Awakening

All day one buys. Along with a couple others like Yoshi.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
I feel that there are too many games I will have to skip, the second part of the year is extremely packed. Choices will be really difficult to make. For the moment, the games I will buy 100% at day one are Fire Emblem and Pokemon; they are followed with good chances by Astral Chain and Link's Awakening (since it is priced 50€, I think it has been a smart move). I'm also extremely interested in Dragon Quest XI. I fear I should skip at least two between Animal Crossing, Mario Maker 2 and Luigi's Mansion 3, unless I get at least one of them as gift.
And I'm sure not all 2019 games are still announced.

Last edited:

Lueken

Dec 15, 2017
I just got a job promotion, meaning I'll probably be able to buy a decent chunk of the huge amount of games Nintendo has in store for us this year lol.

Congrats on the promotion! Love that feeling.

Top five is difficult but let's go with Animal Crossing, Pokémon, Mario Maker, Fire Emblem, and Luigi's Mansion.

Deleted member 5666

Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I am not a level creator either but Mario Maker will have at least 120 slots to save levels since the first had that many. Just curate the best levels you find from online into those 120+ slots and boom you have a nice long 2D Mario game without having to make any levels.

Servbot24

The Fallen
Oct 25, 2017
My top non-Nintendo franchises I want Nintendo to take under its wing

Mega Man Legends
Breath of Fire
Okami
Vanillaware (not a series but w/e)
Castlevania
Chrono Trigger

I would say Viewtiful Joe but Nintendo can't handle that one B-)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Why the heck is everyone doing lists now? Did the thread topic change or something?
it's that time of the month, remember, before the Direct Thirst madness happened, we had "hype list" days at least once every month.

Yeah, I am not entirely convinced Paper Mario and Mario & Luigi can co-exist on one system. Sales have been declining for both series for various reasons and they need to reevaluate how they want to position them on the Switch. People would riot but I wouldn't be surprised if they lean even harder into the adventure elements of Paper Mario rather to returning to its RPG roots.
That was their whole pitch already, Paper Mario is adventure, M&L is RPG. They've already differentiated them, that's why people keep making such a fuss. Going back to hardcore RPG for PM would be counterproductive in that light.

V_ac

Avenger
Jul 2, 2018
Does Nintendo tend to give development updates for third party software though in directs? Usually it's just a one time trailer announcement till they come out right?
IIRC unless they're publishing the game outside Japan they usually don't show off third party games multiple times in Directs.

The only real exception I can think of recently that Nintendo didn't publish was Dark Souls Remastered, but the situation surrounding that is a bit different then the situation regarding Town.

Status
Not open for further replies.