• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I've said it hundreds of times (ok not that many), but I want Nintendo to give their IP's out to indies. I hope more is to come.

Oct 27, 2017
Rare Replay: Nintendo Switch edition

The following games are removed:

Grabbed by the Ghoulies
Kameo
Perfect Dark Zero
Viva Pinata
Jetpac Refuelled
Viva Pinata: Trouble in Paradise
BK: Nuts & Bolts

But in their place, we have

Donkey Kong Country
Donkey Kong Country 2
Donkey Kong Country 3
Diddy Kong Racing
Donkey Kong 64
Star Fox Adventures

and to cap it all off, the first ever official release of the Goldeneye HD remake, available on both Switch and Xbone!

this will never happen :(

Nintendo owns the rights to all those games. They don't need Rare to release them. If they haven't it's because they haven't wanted to

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
We're due for at the very least an announcement over the next 12 months from:

-ARMS Yabuki team
-Monolith Soft Production division 2

And Retro Studios because there's no way they dumped out two games back to back over 6 years with nothing to show for it

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017

-ARMS Yabuki team

And Retro Studios because there's no way they dumped out two games back to back over 6 years with nothing to show for it
I agree. I would say next 15 months to make it E3 2020.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

-ARMS Yabuki team

There's definitely more first-party announcements for this year. You also have to imagine that some type of Mii centric product is getting prepped for the near future.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So I guess it might be fun to just spitball predictions for what's going on. EPD 7 and 9 feel like the big mysteries to me for what they're working on. It sounds like EPD 9 is working on Mario Kart Tour though, so I'm keeping low expectations for the scope of their next Switch project. EPD 7 is probably working with MercurySteam on another 2D Metroid, but I hope they have something else lined up, even if it's an e-shop release.

I think EPD 3 and 8 are doing BotW/Odyssey sequels and EPD 10 could be doing Pikmin 4 in the background while focusing on MM2.

Being an optimist about Retro having a game soon is impossible for me. Would be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm in for the long haul now until Prime 4.

boyifyoudont

Feb 10, 2018
I wonder what
- EPD 4 is doing after Labo VR
- EPD 5 has planned other than AC
- EPD 7's next thing is
- EPD 9 is doing other than MK Tour
Want to see Tsubasa Sakaguchi's next project (hopefully not being a toy product)

Datajoy

use of an alt account
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Angola / Zaire border region.
Does anyone else kind of not really like the design Rock Pikmin? I mean, they are just a chunk of rock with googly eyes and a flower stem, they seem very ad hoc and really don't have the synergistic animal / plant / insectoid hybrid vibe of the other Pikmin types.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
So I guess it might be fun to just spitball predictions for what's going on. EPD 7 and 9 feel like the big mysteries to me for what they're working on. It sounds like EPD 9 is working on Mario Kart Tour though, so I'm keeping low expectations for the scope of their next Switch project. EPD 7 is probably working with MercurySteam on another 2D Metroid, but I hope they have something else lined up, even if it's an e-shop release.

I think EPD 3 and 8 are doing BotW/Odyssey sequels and EPD 10 could be doing Pikmin 4 in the background while focusing on MM2.

Being an optimist about Retro having a game soon is impossible for me. Would be happy to be proven wrong, but I'm in for the long haul now until Prime 4.

EPD teams can grow and shrink as needed, though. Though there's a fix total number of EPD staff, and each production department has a set of directors/teams, there's not really any reason to believe a group couldn't have 2 games going at once. Except maybe EPD9 because I think there was a large overlap in MK8/Arms lead staff. Plus, they can always work with external partners if/when necessary (I'd be very surprised in MKT wasn't assisted on by BN like MK8 was, and the LA remake is probably a co-production with EPD and Monolith Kyoto, 1-UP and/or Grezzo).

N75

self-requested temp ban
Oct 25, 2017
Just realized that Shiro Mouri was the director for NSMBU Deluxe.

Makes me wonder who's leading the Link's Awakening remake and when it started. I don't think the NSMBU port would have taken much time and I'm guessing the BotW leads moved onto the next 3D game while the DLC was in development.

Speaking on LA itself, I find it interesting that Aonuma decided to do it in the first place seeing as he shot down Miyamoto's suggestion on making a straight up ALttP remake because it wouldn't be intetesting enough.

Last edited:
OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
Speaking on LA itself, I find it interesting that Aonuma decided to do it in the first place seeing as he shot down Miyamoto's suggestion on making a straight up ALttP remake because it wouldn't be intetesting enough.

It could also have been pushed by Koizumi, co-head of the overall development department, who has strong ties to that particular episode.

EPD 7 is probably working with MercurySteam on another 2D Metroid, but I hope they have something else lined up, even if it's an e-shop release.

The Tomodachi team, Rhythm Tengoku team, and 2D Metroid team all have to be working on something. It's been a long time since any of their 3 main planning teams have releasing anything.

Clov

Oct 25, 2017
At the very least, the original Diddy Kong Racing has been stuck in limbo for so long due to the presence of Banjo and Conker.

It's more than just them, actually. Even the DS port of Diddy Kong Racing is in a bit of legal limbo; the credits of the game note that while the game elements are owned by Nintendo, "certain characters" are owned by Rare. Nintendo themselves own the Kongs and Krunch (as he is considered a Kremling). Very possible that they own the boss Tricky as well, as apparently he was the inspiration for Star Fox Adventure's Tricky. Characters like Tiptup and Timber on the other hand may be entirely owned by Rare.

Huh, I wasn't aware that Spike Chunsoft was publishing it in Japan. That's an interesting arrangement.

I'm really hoping that it gets a physical release in at least one region. If NoA doesn't do it, then maybe Spike Chunsoft in Japan will!

-ARMS Yabuki team

I'd like to believe that about Retro as well. Since Prime 4 was only recently rebooted, we might not see it until 2021. I really hope that Retro has some sort of finished project to show for what they've been doing all these years; preferably a new Donkey Kong.

Does anyone else kind of not really like the design Rock Pikmin? I mean, they are just a chunk of rock with googly eyes and a flower stem, they seem very ad hoc and really don't have the synergistic animal / plant / insectoid hybrid vibe of the other Pikmin types.

The Rock Pikmin certainly don't make for very good plushies either. The other Pikmin ones are really cute, but the Rock Pikmin just look like grey blocks with eyes.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
EPD teams can grow and shrink as needed, though. Though there's a fix total number of EPD staff, and each production department has a set of directors/teams, there's not really any reason to believe a group couldn't have 2 games going at once. Except maybe EPD9 because I think there was a large overlap in MK8/Arms lead staff. Plus, they can always work with external partners if/when necessary (I'd be very surprised in MKT wasn't assisted on by BN like MK8 was, and the LA remake is probably a co-production with EPD and Monolith Kyoto, 1-UP and/or Grezzo).

Ah, that's something to consider then. I had been thinking of it as something like a production like BotW 2 would take up most of PG 3's resources, but since they're also doing a LA remake then expanding team sizes and outsourcing definitely has to be at play.

The Tomodachi team, Rhythm Tengoku team, and 2D Metroid team all have to be working on something. It's been a long time since any of their 3 main planning teams have releasing anything.

I've been wondering how they would plan to move Tomodachi and Rhythm Tengoku to the Switch in terms of scope and pricing model. I'm not too familiar with those IP aside from them being mostly on 3DS last generation, so it will be interesting if they follow the path of other former 3DS franchises.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
It could also have been pushed by Koizumi, co-head of the overall development department, who has strong ties to that particular episode.

I mean it's only been a year and a half since samus returns. If things have went okay, I think there is a chance of metroid 5 second half 2020....hopefully.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I definitely think we'll see something from those first two before the end of 2020. This year seems too packed first-party wise for Tomodachi and Rhythm Heaven to slot in, so I think we'll be seeing them in 2020.

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017
I've been wondering how they would plan to move Tomodachi and Rhythm Tengoku to the Switch in terms of scope and pricing model. I'm not too familiar with those IP aside from them being mostly on 3DS last generation, so it will be interesting if they follow the path of other former 3DS franchises.

I think the Tomodachi team is probably evaluating a lot of ideas after the success of Tomodachi Collection 2 / Life and the misfire of Miitomo. I think they also need to continue deviating as far as possible from AC. For Rhythm Tengoku, the answer has to be more multiplayer elements.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
Never heard of it. Any good?

Also :(
we will never know

Project Rap Rabbit was first revealed through an article on Rice Digital on May 2, 2017.[4] The game was officially announced on May 12, 2017[5] and a Kickstarter campaign launched on May 15, 2017.[1] The campaign was criticised for featuring no gameplay footage and setting stretch goals at unreasonable levels. The campaign ultimately failed, with pledges only reaching £161,557 of the £855,000 required.[1][6] As a result of this failure, work on Project Rap Rabbit was discontinued until further funding could be found.[7]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Project_Rap_Rabbit#cite_note-7

right before that they made Just Sing for Ubi

OP
OP

EAD Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
Oct 27, 2017

It seems normal that every production group has about 2-3 games in production at a time.

Deleted member 41183

User requested account closure
Banned
Mar 18, 2018
Ah, that's something to consider then. I had been thinking of it as something like a production like BotW 2 would take up most of PG 3's resources, but since they're also doing a LA remake then expanding team sizes and outsourcing definitely has to be at play.

PG3 is made up of the 3D Zelda leads and the 2D Zelda leads who report to Aonuma. These lead staff for the 2 series combined is probably fewer than 30 people, all up. The remaining developers for each project move between projects as needed from the main pool of 700ish EPD staff. So 2D Zelda and 3D Zelda shouldn't affect each other. Companies will be contracted for outsourcing (Tose, etc) or co-development (Grezzo) or internal support/co-development (1-Up, Monolith Soft) as needed, based on scope, available EPD resources, and so on.

It seems normal that every production group has about 2-3 games in production at a time.

Yes, at least. I imagine DLC/AOC for games like Splatoon may reduce the average a bit, but I imagine each non-external group is about that many at any one time.

Timppis

Banned
Apr 27, 2018
Yoshi not hitting 75 on Metacritic, calling it now.

edit: Also. So many Nintendo development groups and studios we know NOTHING about. That's a damn fantastic thing considering we already have massive amount of games and more to come all the time.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Yoshi not hitting 75 on Metacritic, calling it now.
Hmm, I dunno. Woolly World passed that benchmark (barley), so why couldn't Crafted World do the same?

Yoshi games are boring
Wow.
Yoshi games are so boring
What
Can confirm yoshi games are still boring
An
Ofcourse no one likes yoshi so it wont
Incredibly
Yoshi games are really boring
Original
I see you agree yoshi is so boring it counts as unoriginal
Post.

This is getting as boring as your Sakurai hates Zelda shtick from the Ultimate pre-release threads. Get some new material man.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
I'm try to hate yoshi and love Zelda but I'm dummythicc and the clap of my asscheeks keeps alerting the yoshi fans and Zelda haters.
I want Zelda newcomers in Smash too, and i'm not even a big fan of half of the Yoshi games.

But come on, you really have to admit that maybe you post(ed) about those subjects a little too much? We got it the first seven times, and you don't add anything to it. It's just tiring to see the same thing every time Yoshi is brought up in these threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.