• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Deleted member 10737

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 27, 2017
It's tiresome to see often pages worth of discussion wasted on these in a thread that isn't about random Direct rumors. Lots of white noise in a thread where one used to go to discuss first party development/publishing efforts, not to "hang out" and shoot the shit about nonsense rumors that honestly don't deserve to be treated with any kind of seriousness which is what keeps happening. In the end what I'd like is for people to stay on topic - I also don't get what's so hard to grasp about that.

If you want to tell me to ignore what this thread topic is and accept that it's now off-topic general Nintendo talk and a hang out spot, fine. But then I also don't see why I shouldn't steer people away from BS like obvious fake leaks, if we're just doing whatever in here anyway.
i get that you want people to stay on topic, but you have to accept that it's not your job or responsibility. just look at this page and see how many people are annoyed or bothered with the way you treat other people itt.
your understanding of what this thread is and what kind of conversations should be allowed obviously isn't shared by everyone, seems like it's best if you accept that and let people do with this thread as they please. i'm not saying we should talk about whatever, but if we only talked about confirmed info regarding nintendo first party releases, we'd probably be still on page 10 of the first thread. it's ok to talk about stuff related to nintendo and "shoot the shit"

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
You were asking who's looking forward to a random third party game in the first party dev thread. Come on now lol.

The eShop thread is well established for that kind of general game talk.

Yeah and the other times. Thing is, if I see a discussion i don't want to talk about, I just ignore and keep reading, no matter the thread. You should do the same :) Friendly advice for mental health.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
Aonuma is probably producing more than 2 games at the moment: Zelda 2D, BotW successor, and a new IP. I don't think he will pass up the chance to get a new IP out the door since the last one he worked on was Marvelous

I would love for him to develop another ambitious IP and having the botw engine used "just" for Zelda games would be a waste; they have a really good thing going on with that engine. But really, we have no evidence that Aonuma is doing anything else than what he's been doing for two decades, that is Zelda. I'm very much hoping to be surprised.

He isn't worth bothering with, don't give the douche the time of day.

He'll get tired eventually, as people will no matter what talk about what they want even if it's not always perfectly on topic.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I disagree kindly. I think it needs them both badly.

It depends on the rest the lineup and the possible games we don't know about yet. But as we currently know it, I agree that both are needed of Nintendo is really going to have a year as good as many say it'll be. Especially MP4 which would address a type of game lacking on the system so far.

Gartooth

Avenger
Oct 25, 2017
So are we thinking EPD 10's next game is Pikmin 4?

I've been wondering what new game they've been up to since Mario Maker and Super Mario Run, which both came out 2 to 3 years ago.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
If Metroid looks good, plays well, and is pushed by Nintendo as a big title, many of us may surprised by how well it'll sell comparatively to the previous entries. The switch is not the Wii and dare I say not the GameCube in terms of public, and more than ever before, I think that Metroid could finally become a high selling IP.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
I would love for him to develop another ambitious IP and having the botw engine used "just" for Zelda games would be a waste; they have a really good thing going on with that engine. But really, we have no evidence that Aonuma is doing anything else than what he's been doing for two decades, that is Zelda. I'm very much hoping to be surprised.
if he has the desire (he does) and Nintendo has the want to brand a game, "From the Producer of Breath of the Wild..." (they do), something will happen. and I 100% believe something is. the kicker is, will it become an actual product. the stealth options from Breath of the Wild is probably what inspired Aonuma's idea in the first place. let's hope Nintendo saw something marketable in it

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018

I believe he is starting to pass the Franchise to Fujibayashi-san. But, he will only let go if he gets the desire to be a Director again. The last game he was a actual dev was Skyward Sword, iirc.

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games
if he has the desire (he does) and Nintendo has the want to brand a game, "From the Producer of Breath of the Wild..." (they do), something will happen. and I 100% believe something is. the kicker is, will it become an actual product. the stealth options from Breath of the Wild is probably what inspired Aonuma's idea in the first place. let's hope Nintendo saw something marketable in it

does he? as far as I remember he said the opposite most recently but Nintendo does have the desire (they want him to).

"Actually, Nintendo has been telling me to create a new IP. But then, they're also telling me to make more Zelda games. I can't really share much; I'm not sure I'm allowed to say anything. But I really like the idea of a game where I can live as a thief. That's all I'll say."
--

I believe he is starting to pass the Franchise to Fujibayashi-san. But, he will only let go if he gets the desire to be a Director again. The last game he was a actual dev was Skyward Sword, iirc.
Aonuma has been in the producer chair since halfway through Twilight Princess (where he was still co-director).

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
does he? as far as I remember he said the opposite most recently but Nintendo does have the desire (they want him to).
I don't see any lack of desire in that quote. more lamenting that Nintendo wants him to do both. if he ended his quote there, maybe you could interpret it as a lack of desire, but the following sentence implies he moved forward with an original idea. the Miyamoto Rule* probably applies to all their producers

*don't talk about your hobbies

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm trying to decide whether to buy Splatoon. Is their still any hacker issues and if I don't get the expansion am I locked out of any multiplayer content besides the octoling characters?

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I don't see any lack of desire in that quote. more lamenting that Nintendo wants him to do both. if he ended his quote there, maybe you could interpret it as a lack of desire, but the following sentence implies he moved forward with an original idea. the Miyamoto Rule* probably applies to all their producers

I felt great when the new CEO of Nintendo told if he needs, he will argue with Miyamoto. Sometimes I think the lack of narrative in BOTW is his demand. Even if I liked it, more would be better.

Lelouch0612

Oct 25, 2017
I wont hype whats coming but .. be ready for trilogy and a 2D
giphy.gif

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I'm not sure if this is the right place to ask but I'm trying to decide whether to buy Splatoon. Is their still any hacker issues and if I don't get the expansion am I locked out of any multiplayer content besides the octoling characters?

It's a good buy, because you'll get all the content released throughout the past year and a half. I also recommend to purchase the extension not for the multiplayer (it won't change much), but for the expanded solo mode which is one of the best single player content released by Nintendo recently (not that hard, some may say...).
The game isn't updated anymore (since December) and it's likely that it won't receive other extensions (or they would have continued the updates). I've been guessing for a long time that a 3rd episode would come in 2020, which gives you a lot of time to enjoy the game as the online community should stay healthy during at least 2019.

Jan 10, 2018
Tokyo
I felt great when the new CEO of Nintendo told if he needs, he will argue with Miyamoto. Sometimes I think the lack of narrative in BOTW is his demand. Even if I liked it, more would be better.

I wish that BOTW was half as story driven and epic as the trailer promised to be. It's still arguably the best game of the past 2 decades, which tells a lot about its intrinsic qualities, but it could be so so so much better...

Pokémon

Oct 27, 2017
Trilogy is most likely MP trilogy and 2D is referring to Zelda considering people were talking about it here the last few pages.

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I wish that BOTW was half as story driven and epic as the trailer promised to be. It's still arguably the best game of the past 2 decades, which tells a lot about its intrinsic qualities, but it could be so so so much better...

Yeah, I said on other thread, even with all of its flaws, it's my favorite game of all time. But the trailer was really bombastic. Miyamoto is becoming notorius among Nintendo devs for wanting little plot as possible in the games. It reeks of him lol hahahaha

So MPT and Zelda 2D for the next direct? Good stuff, especially as the Zelda 2D should release before summer.
Trilogy is most likely MP trilogy and 2D is referring to Zelda considering people were talking about it here the last few pages.

Yeahhhh, but I want a Zelda Trilogy too (WW, TP and SS)

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Taking into account what Imran said, I would bet on 2D Zelda.

The similarities between Switch 2019 line-up and 3DS 2013 line-up are staggering.
God it's crazy how it's replicated. So the next Direct we'll finally see Metroid Prime Trilogy and 2D Zelda!

I can't wait to see 2D Zelda and the art style they go with.

deep_dish

Oct 25, 2017
I think Aonuma can make whatever he wants at this point. You couldn't convince me that Nintendo is telling the guy who leads their most critically acclaimed and a consistent multi-million unit selling franchise that he has to stay in his Zelda box.

I think he's probably like Sakurai. Creatively ambitious but also protective of being "the guy" in charge of the franchise. Who in their right mind would voluntarily want to manage 2D Zelda, BOTW 2 and a new IP, sure to generate massive amount of hype?

It's a recipe for burnout

Mr_F_Snowman

Oct 27, 2017
If its 2d Zelda will be interesting to see what they go for aesthetically - maybe its a the BoTW demo they showed off in 2D but massively expanded upon. That would be real interesting

Kamaros

Aug 29, 2018
I think Aonuma can make whatever he wants at this point. You couldn't convince me that Nintendo is telling the guy who leads their most critically acclaimed and a consistent multi-million unit selling franchise that he has to stay in his Zelda box.

I think he's probably like Sakurai. Creatively ambitious but also protective of being "the guy" in charge of the franchise. Who in their right mind would voluntarily want to manage 2D Zelda, BOTW 2 and a new IP, sure to generate massive amount of hype?

It's a recipe for burnout

If he keeps swinging between the projects often, the new challenges and change of style can keep a person out of burnout. Japanese people are very conscious of not doing what you don't feel like doing (like why Sakurai left Atlus), he would have jumped ship already.

JB2448

One Winged Slayer
Oct 25, 2017
Florida
I wont hype whats coming but .. be ready for trilogy and a 2D
The hilarious thing is that this can apply to both Zelda (Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword with a sequel to A Link Between Worlds) and Metroid (Prime Trilogy HD with a sequel to Samus Returns). Or it could be a combination of the two.

Adventureracing

The Fallen
Nov 7, 2017
i would prefer a Pokémon trilogy game but everything is pointing to Metroid. The 2D game I'd be happy with Mario maker or Zelda but would prefer Zelda. Thinking Zelda makes a little more sense to be announced at this point.

NeonBlack

Oct 25, 2017
It's a good buy, because you'll get all the content released throughout the past year and a half. I also recommend to purchase the extension not for the multiplayer (it won't change much), but for the expanded solo mode which is one of the best single player content released by Nintendo recently (not that hard, some may say...).
The game isn't updated anymore (since December) and it's likely that it won't receive other extensions (or they would have continued the updates). I've been guessing for a long time that a 3rd episode would come in 2020, which gives you a lot of time to enjoy the game as the online community should stay healthy during at least 2019.
What about the hacker issues? I remember that being an issue a while back but wanted to know if it still exist.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
If it is announced this early, you can bet it'll release before summer.

If this 2D Zelda game is real, then it will be interesting to see when Nintendo decided to release it. The two biggest 2019 games will be Pokemon and Animal Crossing; since they target a very similar audience, I think they won't be released so near as it happened in 2018 with Pokemon and Smash. So Pokemon will be November (obviously), Animal Crossing maybe in the summer.
Then we have Fire Emblem, Luigi Mansion and Yoshi. I suppose Luigi will be released around October, while I hope that Fire Emblem will really be released in spring as they said at E3. Yoshi will be clearly a late 2018-FW Q4 game.
At this point where 2D Zelda could be placed? The possibility are between Yoshi and Fire Emblem (around April), in summer (but I don't know if it would be a good period for it) or as the last game of the year.
In any case the 2019 lineup really seems already strong, if we have a 2D Zelda it would be fantastic.
(and I didn't talk about the possible Metroid Prime Trilogy)

TheMoon

|OT|
Oct 25, 2017
Video Games

the lack of desire wasn't supposed to be in that quote, I don't remember where/if he said that. hence the afair part :) the quote was more to the point that ninty explicitly want him to do something else, too.

Dany1899

Dec 23, 2017
i would prefer a Pokémon trilogy game but everything is pointing to Metroid. The 2D game I'd be happy with Mario maker or Zelda but would prefer Zelda. Thinking Zelda makes a little more sense to be announced at this point.

I don't think that they would announce a 2D Mario so near to U port, its existence wouldn't make sense. For this reason I think that the 2D could refer to Zelda or Metroid (I really hope it's the first one)

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Miyamoto doesn't touch the franchise anymore. I know people beef with his idea of minimal story, that that's a decade old point that has since doesn't mean much

blacktout

Jan 16, 2018
The hilarious thing is that this can apply to both Zelda (Wind Waker, Twilight Princess, and Skyward Sword with a sequel to A Link Between Worlds) and Metroid (Prime Trilogy HD with a sequel to Samus Returns). Or it could be a combination of the two.

This pretty much sums it up. The most obvious, mundane explanation is that it's Metroid Prime Trilogy and 2D Zelda, but given the Skyward Sword HD tease, maybe it actually is Zelda Trilogy HD.

Status
Not open for further replies.