• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Mar 23, 2018
I said it before and ill say it again about Pokemon 2019, when the guys at Nintendo talked about it before E3 last year they were Hyping it like its BOTW tier game.

They said its the next big step for the franchise like BOTW was for Zelda, they are taking their time with it to insure giving the players something big.

I wonder what "big step" means. I mean, one could certainly say BOTW is not your usual 3D Zelda title, but it was also a big step for the franchise. Do you think it implies more of a change for the Pokémon formula or more like adding tons of new stuff to the already existing traditional Pokémon game?

Pokémon doesn't really need to shake things up like BOTW did for Zelda, but them wanting to do so is exciting; when you have the biggest media franchise in the world, having the desire to reach new heights is very positive and I can say that I'm excited to hear that. Perhaps it's a younger team working on the game? As long as they're hungry!

Taking their time with it... If this game started development in 2017, a 2019 release seems "too soon" for a title that aims that high. Again, what do I know about game development and for how long this game has been in their minds...

Anyhow, thanks for sharing that info! Excited to hear more about it in a... couple of months? Who knows!

Skittzo

Oct 25, 2017
I heard the same thing, there was a talk that Nintendo wants every big release from them be like BOTW and Odyssey and Pokemon Gen8 was supposed to be released in 2018 but they gave it more time.

Would that imply that Let's Go was basically thrown together in a really short time span? Like starting around early 2017 at the earliest?

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I heard the same thing, there was a talk that Nintendo wants every big release from them be like BOTW and Odyssey and Pokemon Gen8 was supposed to be released in 2018 but they gave it more time.
That's why I'm not complaining at all about no gen 8 Pokémon game for last year. I was super happy to know it was getting another year of development.

Procheno

Alt Account
Banned
Nov 14, 2018
200.gif

Hallelujah, so we'll be getting big budget, non safe, ambitious titles. That's all I could ask for

Edit: at least supposedly

DeuceGamer

Oct 27, 2017
Didn't Monolith say they only had a small team on Xenoblade 2? Seem to recall they said 30-40 person team, which may mean they have a project further along then some may think. Xenoblade 2 released much sooner than people thought as well, and I could see something similar with whatever else they are working on, though I'm obviously not holding my breath.

Instro

Oct 25, 2017
Didn't Monolith say they only had a small team on Xenoblade 2? Seem to recall they said 30-40 person team, which may mean they have a project further along then some may think. Xenoblade 2 released much sooner than people thought as well, and I could see something similar with whatever else they are working on, though I'm obviously not holding my breath.

Not quite. While it's true they only had a portion of their internal staff working on XC2, with the help of outsource devs, a large chunk of their studio was also helping with Zelda, and had some involvement in Splatoon 2(iirc). Whatever it is, it started sometime during 2017, and you should assume at least 3 years dev time for their next project.

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
So........ if there's been alot of Pokémon talk around Gen 8 and the 2019 Switch game recently ever since Ryan Reynolds posted that tweet about Detective Pikachu, and there's also talk of a direct this month, how likely then is it that it could be a Pokémon Direct to help unveil the 2019 Gen 8 Switch games?

Nov 3, 2017
So........ if there's been alot of Pokémon talk around Gen 8 and the 2019 Switch game recently ever since Ryan Reynolds posted that tweet about Detective Pikachu, and there's also talk of a direct this month, how likely then is it that it could be a Pokémon Direct to help unveil the 2019 Gen 8 Switch games?

That reminds me. Do we think they'll release a new Detective Pikachu game to coincide with the movie?

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
That reminds me. Do we think they'll release a new Detective Pikachu game to coincide with the movie?
Nah. It might be that they want the movie's connection to the original game to be loose, as to make it clear that if it does well that it could lead to it's own Movie Universe for Pokémon.
And besides, what a better way to get people excited about Pokémon again than to have a huge reinvention of Pokémon as the Home Console Gen 8 games and the highly asked for Live action movie in the same year all the while having a trailer for the Gen 8 Switch titles before Pokémon Detective Pikachu in theatres to help get people excited for Pokémon in both game and movie form again and a distribution code for a Detective Pikachu movie Pikachu in the Gen 8 games with the Blu-Ray release to help promote the movie?

Sandfox

Oct 25, 2017

DinoPulse

May 25, 2018
king zell Do you know anything about if the direct you speak of could be a Pokémon direct to unveil Generation 8 of Pokémon for the Switch as the 2019 games?

It has been said that this month is a big one for Pokémon.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
I think February is a safer bet.

XY also came out earlier than than every Pokemon game since. The sample size of WW Pokemon gens isn't big enough to draw anything from it though.
We've had Directs in almost all January's since the inception of Nintendo Directs in 2011. I think it's a safer bet to go with January.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
I still don't understand why they don't announce Pokemon games in January like they did with X/Y
They could, but I doubt it so they won't step on the toes of LGPE which isn't even two months old yet. They gave XY a six month wait between it and BW2, plus it was the first Pokemon game on the console, so January seemed more feasible. Though Gen 8 is targeting a different audience so who knows.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
We've had Directs in almost all January's since the inception of Nintendo Directs in 2011. I think it's a safer bet to go with January.
I think he's referring to the Pokemon direct. Otherwise, you're right. A January Direct seems near guaranteed considering we know next to nothing coming to the console beyond this month.

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
Pokemon always had a direct to themselves, and Gen 8 will be no different. I also expect a new trailer for TecChu in theaters, so a reveal in Feb/March makes the most sense

Nov 3, 2017
They could, but I doubt it so they won't step on the toes of LGPE which isn't even two months old yet. They gave XY a six month wait between it and BW2, plus it was the first Pokemon game on the console, so January seemed more feasible. Though Gen 8 is targeting a different audience so who knows.

I think GF will want to start promo as soon as possible if this game really is as big as king zell is saying. Gen 8 and LGPE are definitely targeting different types of Pokemon fans so I don't think there will be hesitation on outshining LGPE

ILikeFeet

DF Deet Master
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
given this, I'm assuming the original timeline was
  • 2016 - Sun and Moon
  • 2017 - Let's Go (3DS)
  • 2018 - Gen 8 (Switch)
but they decided early on to push Gen 8 back and push LG to the switch and make USUM for 2017. it would explain why USUM was a rather weak third version and LG's 3DS-ness. probably realized early on that Gen 8 would need more time. maybe after seeing how Zelda and Mario was turning out internally

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You quoted a guy referring to a Pokemon Direct is what I was basically saying.
Not really. He was asked if he heard about a "Direct soon". I didn't see how that was taken as a Pokémon direct regardless of his previous post talking about Pokémon. We would say "Pokémon Direct" when asking about a direct on Pokémon.

Terraforce

One Winged Slayer
The Fallen
Oct 27, 2017
Not really. He was asked if he heard about a "Direct soon". I didn't see how that was taken as a Pokémon direct regardless of his previous post talking about Pokémon. We would say "Pokémon Direct" when asking about a direct on Pokémon.
Sandfox (the guy you quoted when I responded) literally corrected himself by saying he was referring to a Pokemon Direct lol. So yes he was. I wasn't talking about zell.

Zippo

Banned
Dec 8, 2017

Spawn Wave made a video about the thread, haha. It's already kind of outdated though. He also said he's a follower of King Zell's.

Deleted member 1839

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 25, 2017
This would depend on release timing of said games.

That's true. I just assume Retro's game would be the big game or one of the big games for the fall/holiday season so it would be shown at E3. While Zelda and Platinum's game could release before E3 or during the summer.

Then again they all can be revealed at E3 if they come after.

Deleted member 8593

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
So king bombshell basically dropped

- Metroid Prime Trilogy and 2D Zelda in 2019
- 3D Zelda in 2020
- reiterated BotW-tier Pokémon in 2019

giphy.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.