• Ever wanted an RSS feed of all your favorite gaming news sites? Go check out our new Gaming Headlines feed! Read more about it here.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mary Celeste

Oct 25, 2017
So what are you guys playing while waiting for the Nintendo Direct. I recently started playing Captain Toad on Switch and I am really impressed by how fun I am having with this game. I would like Nintendo to develop more of these sorts of games.
clearing the backlog before NMH next week. finished up TWEWY today, and I'll be putting a significant dent into Octopath over the next week

Deleted member 37151

Account closed at user request
Banned
Jan 1, 2018
I think it's too long from 3 to call it Metroid Prime 4. It will be my first-ish Metroid Prime game (spend a brief time with Echos but not really more than a few hours) and it being called 4 makes me slightly worried that plot will be incomprehensible to newcomers.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
That's not it only. It has to do with bringing in a new group of consumers and Nintendo may want to call it just Metroid Prime: subtitle and leave out the 4, regardless of MPT coming. I can see them being afraid that having a "4" could scare some away, but yes, MPT should alleviate that worry.
Prime trilogy would be the whole point of that. If prime trilogy is real, it's 99.9% still being called prime 4.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I think it's too long from 3 to call it Metroid Prime 4. It will be my first-ish Metroid Prime game (spend a brief time with Echos but not really more than a few hours) and it being called 4 makes me slightly worried that plot will be incomprehensible to newcomers.
Well luckily for you, you'll be able to play Metroid Prime trilogy and catch up on everything (pending that the insiders are right about it).

Even then, the plot is likely going to mostly be new, but still have lore and connections to the first three games.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Prime 3 closed up some of the major plot-threads of the Prime games, and based on interviews from years ago (that may or may not be true to the final game) it'll be mostly new and have a different focus: the rivalry between Samus and Sylux; so you won't have to worry about it being super confusing.

Plus the Prime Trilogy port is probably a thing, so you can experience the first three games anyway.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I'm not saying it won't be, but I sure as hell won't be surprised if it's not called Metroid Prime 4.
Well, I'll say that if trilogy is real, then I will be very surprised. Another thing you have to consider is that there are now 3 prime spinoffs at this point already, that are just called metroid prime: subtitle. It would also be bad bad marketing to then have prime 4 be not numbered and possibly be a confusion there.

Deleted member 8791

User requested account closure
Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I very much doubt final name will include the number 4 as well. Everybody knows it's the 4th game and the only purpose it serves is to discourage newcomers.

What I want from Prime 4:

• Back to the Prime 1 roots of 3D Metroidvania gameplay
  • Big focus on graphics, VA, and cinematics
  • Unique online gameplay to give Metroid a real chance of becoming a big franchise

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
Well, I'll say that if trilogy is real, then I will be very surprised. Another thing you have to consider is that there are now 3 prime spinoffs at this point already, that are just called metroid prime: subtitle. It would also be bad bad marketing to then have prime 4 be not numbered and possibly be a confusion there.
That's honestly a pretty good point that I didn't think of. They wouldn't want Prime: subtitle to be mixed in with Prime: Hunters, Prime: Pinball or Prime: Federation Force.

Rand a. Thor

Banned
Oct 31, 2017
Greece
I really wonder what Nintendo's big game at E3 is going to be

I can't see Pokemon being the main game at the event and by then I believe we will know a lot already about Animal Crossing

Maybe they will just change their strategy and not focus on one game like they've done all these past years
Revision, E3 2019 will be all about the revision. If its coming this year, I think it will he around September, unless Nintendo has an NDA protected press conference in the upcoming weeks to launch it before summer. But yeah, E3 2019 will be heavily about the revision, Nintendo will he there with their own live conference because of the revision, and focus will he on several games.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
I very much doubt final name will include the number 4 as well. Everybody knows it's the 4th game and the only purpose it serves is to discourage newcomers.

• Unique online gameplay to give Metroid a real chance of becoming a big franchise
I mean for one, if we are saying newcomers would be confused about it, it could also make it confusing if its not numbered, like the other spinoffs.

And I'm really hoping VA and cinematics are not a big focus at all. That would go against it going to the roots of prime 1, and leaning way more to other m.

Deleted member 8791

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I mean for one, if we are saying newcomers would be confused about it, it could also make it confusing if its not numbered, like the other spinoffs.

And I'm really hoping VA and cinematics are not a big focus at all. That would go against it going to the roots of prime 1, and leaning way more to other m.
I'd argue Metroid mainline games are obscure for the mainstream so any spinoff might as well not exist.

Bowser

Nov 7, 2017
Revision, E3 2019 will be all about the revision. If its coming this year, I think it will he around September, unless Nintendo has an NDA protected press conference in the upcoming weeks to launch it before summer. But yeah, E3 2019 will be heavily about the revision, Nintendo will he there with their own live conference because of the revision, and focus will he on several games.
Revision will most likely be announced in some random Youtube video in the middle of August

They wont focus their E3 on better battery and wifi

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just call it Metroid Prime. God of War did it. Nintendo knows how to market. The point is to grow the franchise and to push it like it's on a level it deserves to be on with the likes of a Zelda or Mario. Everyone will know what Metroid Prime 4 is at the end of the day with the amounts of marketing Nintendo will do.

Oct 30, 2017

I want them to take inspiration from the original Metroid Prime. Back to basics, less cutscenes, more isolation. And focus on graphics, and music. The world itself should tell a story. They don't need to be too ambitious just focus on a tight level design and a good overworld that has variety. Quality over quantity, if the game world is as big as Prime 1 I would be satisfied.

However I also want a competitive multiplayer mode and chase the Halo crowd. They can differentiate it from other shooters with cool abilities from the Metroid world. Have another seperatley team work on this so it doesn't affect the quality of the singleplayer mode.

MondoMega

One Winged Slayer
Jan 10, 2018
Australia
  • Big focus on VA, and cinematics
Don't those two contradict each other? A big focus on VA and cinematic would be the exact opposite of returning to the roots of Prime 1.

I mean, we already know that they are returning to the "roots of the original Metroid Prime game" based on the E3 Fact Sheet, and that also specifically mentions "action, isolation and exploration" as three main points. That is exactly what "returning to the roots of Prime 1" would be, not a super cinematic experience.

I do agree with your other point though; they need an online multiplayer mode to try and chase for the Halo audience and also pull in general FPS fans to make Metroid a bigger franchise.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
Just call it Metroid Prime. God of War did it. Nintendo knows how to market. The point is to grow the franchise and to push it like it's on a level it deserves to be on with the likes of a Zelda or Mario. Everyone will know what Metroid Prime 4 is at the end of the day with the amounts of marketing Nintendo will do.
please no, i hate when they reuse the exact same name of an earlier game, then in 5 years we all would have to call it metroid prime 2019 just like doom 2016.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
GoW was also a soft reboot though. Like way more than prime 4 is geared up to be, with it still be first person, going back to the roots of prime 1.

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
they should just drop the 4 even if it's a complete narrative sequel to the first 3 games. numbers past 3 aren't cute in game titles and turn away newcomers. that's why we're not on assassin's creed 9 now. fighting games or games like final fantasy can do it because either the story is not important or each new game has a complete new story, but unless it's a super niche series and they're not looking to attract new people to the game, a 4 in the title is a bad idea.

Metroid Prime 2019 has a nice ring to it. 😏
I would honestly accepting calling it "Metroid Prime (2019)" if I was able to play it in 2019.
lol, get ready for metroid prime late 2020

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
They won't drop the 4, but at least they'll throw in a subtitle.

Do we know for sure it's a new trilogy? And even then, halo 4 was also starting a new trilogy. Uncharted 4 wasn't at least for now, and still kept the 4. If prime trilogy is real like what every insider is saying, that pretty much locks in that it will be called prime 4.

Tanabe said he wants to continue with numbered sequels but I think it's silly. The Dark Samus/Phazon storyline is done, it's been like a decade since Corruption, it's a new developer and many long-running properties are moving away from numbered sequels. God of War dropped numbers, Halo dropped them, Assassin's Creeed dropped them, Monster Hunter dropped them. There's only a few holdouts like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Resident Evil or clumsy transitions like Battlefield V.

The series has never been a big seller and and it's the perfect opportunity for a soft reboot instead of being held back by what came before it.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Don't those two contradict each other? A big focus on VA and cinematic would be the exact opposite of returning to the roots of Prime 1.

I mean, we already know that they are returning to the "roots of the original Metroid Prime game" based on the E3 Fact Sheet, and that also specifically mentions "action, isolation and exploration" as three main points. That is exactly what "returning to the roots of Prime 1" would be, not a super cinematic experience.

I do agree with your other point though; they need an online multiplayer mode to try and chase for the Halo audience and also pull in general FPS fans to make Metroid a bigger franchise.
Yea, they do contradict, especially focus on VA. I want this to be as isolated as possible.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
Tanabe said he wants to continue with numbered sequels but I think it's silly. The Dark Samus/Phazon storyline is done, it's been like a decade since Corruption, it's a new developer and many long-running properties are moving away from numbered sequels. God of War dropped numbers, Halo dropped them, Assassin's Creeed dropped them, Monster Hunter dropped them. There's only a few holdouts like Final Fantasy, Dragon Quest and Resident Evil or clumsy transitions like Battlefield V.

The series has never been a big seller and and it's the perfect opportunity for a soft reboot instead of being held back by what came before it.
I really don't see it having a 4 attached to it or not being the difference in finally making it some big time series. If prime trilogy comes out, everyone can figure out how it's a sequel to prime 3.

Champion

Banned
Oct 28, 2017
Tampa, FL
Metroid Prime Trilogy HD in 2019
hula.gif
Metroid Prime 4 blowout at E3 and releases this year.

Y'all need to make up your minds....you can't have both. I don't think it makes much sense for Nintendo to do both.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
I really don't see it having a 4 attached to it or not being the difference in finally making it some big time series. If prime trilogy comes out, everyone can figure out how it's a sequel to prime 3.

Most people aren't really gonna care about the trilogy and it isn't like any of it will matter in Prime 4.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
hula.gif

Y'all need to make up your minds....you can't have both. I don't think it makes much sense for Nintendo to do both.
Only way it could happen is prime trilogy coming out next month, and then prime 4 in october, or december, but that seems unlikely at this point. More likely is prime trilogy in april or possibly like in august, and then prime 4 in march 2020.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
hula.gif

I don't think MP4 is releasing this year. I don't see MPT releasing until April or May. That's too close for a MP4 release this year

Deleted member 10737

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
agreed. they had the perfect opportunity to do a reboot. it's been a long time since the last console game, the original trilogy is done, it'll be the first HD metroid game, all the stars were aligned for a reeboot and reinvention of the series but no, let's do prime 4

Metroid Prime for Switch. There everyone is happy.
Metroid Prime Switch Ver.

Dark Cloud

Banned
Oct 27, 2017
You guys would rather have something else other than Metroid Prime 4? How else is the Metroid series supposed to return? The fans have been asking for a new Metroid Prime game.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
agreed. they had the perfect opportunity to do a reboot. it's been a long time since the last console game, the original trilogy is done, it'll be the first HD metroid game, all the stars were aligned for a reeboot and reinvention of the series but no, let's do prime 4

Metroid Prime Switch Ver.
Except prime doesn't need a reinvention of the series, it needed the opposite. Fans have been waiting over a decade for it. GoW needed a reboot because the series hit surplus. Same with Zelda. 3d mario went back to the roots because it's also been a long time since then.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
You said you wanted a reinvention of the series though.

I think Nintendo did it right by bringing back Metroid Prime. Take that series and make the necessary expansions and tweaks.
Yea, go the mario odyssey route (minus the ridiculous collectible amount which aped botw) with going back to roots and expanding on it.

Deleted member 8593

Banned
Oct 26, 2017
If the series is supposedly going to get big with 4 on the switch, then I'm not sure how prime trilogy wouldn't be cared about. Seems contradicting.

There's plenty of people that skip sequels where they haven't played the previous games and not all of them are gonna buy the trilogy to prepare themselves.

On the other hand, nobody who wants to play Metroid Prime 4 is going to skip it if they drop the number.

I mean this is something Marvel figured out ages ago which is why no other series than Iron Man uses numbers.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
i meant throwing away the narrative baggage of the past games, keeping what's good about metroid prime, and starting fresh
By narrative, you mean like the lore and stuff? That's kind of considered some of the best stuff of the trilogy. I agree with scaling back from where they went especially with prime 3.

ClickyCal'

Oct 25, 2017
There's plenty of people that skip sequels where they haven't played the previous games and not all of them are gonna buy the trilogy to prepare themselves.

On the other hand, nobody who wants to play Metroid Prime 4 is going to skip it if they drop the number.

I mean this is something Marvel figured out ages ago which is why no other series than Iron Man uses numbers.
I mean, uncharted collection apparently has sold 5.5/6 million. It's not as much as 4 obviously, but still a damn big percentage.

Sander VF

The Fallen
Oct 28, 2017
Tbilisi, Georgia

Really the number is inconsequential.

Metroid Prime 4 isn't gonna stop being 4 if they call it Metroid Prime: The Quickening or something.

Status
Not open for further replies.